Why are some people afraid to leave their FOOD diary open?

Options

Replies

• Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat weird things like people so I don't want other people seeing the people that I have eaten... they might not want to be my friends anymore :ohwell:
    I say, "Keep your friends close and your people eaters closer." Maybe I ought to rethink what I say.

Hmmm PJilly you look so delish... I mean nice :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • lylithblueeyes
    Options
    Because there is an option to hide it, thats why
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    Mine is closed because I don't want to get reported for eating endangered species.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    I leave mine open.
    That's what I thought this was about.
    Seeing how other people are loosing weight, and in turn, helping you figure out the best way for you to lose weight.

THAT is the whole reason for my post. Not to be nosy, not to pick apart any diary, just to see what is working for other people so maybe I can try it and see if it will work for me.

Some people have taken offense.

One reason I suspect people took offense is that you characterized those who decided not to make their diary public as afraid. There are many reasons that people may not want to open their diaries that have nothing to do with fear. Mine is that it is none of yours or anybody else's business. I don't let every Tom, Dirk, or Wanda who wanders into my house rummage through my pantry or refrigerator either and its not because I would be afraid of what they'd find there.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    I nominate this as the most useless thread ever on MFP.

I will open my food diary to anybody whose business it is.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have mine closed simply to keep it from getting in the way of any advice I may be trying to give.

For example if somebody asks for advice on their diary and I say maybe I tell them that they should try to cut down on processed foods I don't need somebody going into my diary and being like 'But 4 days ago you had a lean pocket omg processed food omg sodium omg hypocrite."

Not to mention that I don't generally care for any unsolicited advice. If for some reason I feel I need help with my diary I'll give the password to somebody who I think may know more about nutrition than myself and ask them.
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    I don't understand why some people are afraid to leave their food diary open. I, for one, would love to see what the bigger losers are eating that may help me change my ways. I don't care how many calories you eat OR don't eat in a day. That part is your business. I just want to see maybe what I am doing wrong, if anything.

Are they afraid of criticism? Understood, but you can choose to ignore the criticism.

Sorry....just my little rant.

I'm off my soapbox now and back in my corner. ; )

Maybe because you call them "bigger losers"? I think if I want to share what I'm eating, I will. If I don't, I won't. My diary is password protected. So, if a friend is curious about my eating habits and I like them, I'll give them my password. Otherwise, it's none of people's business.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for all the replies! I guess I did hit a nerve with some people. Oh well, se la vie!

I choose to leave mine open. I have no hidden agenda and those who choose to look....fine.

As for my profile being open only for friends....just never thought about it being open to the public. That simple.

*c'est la vie. it's french. just saying.
  • Whatnow50
    Whatnow50 Posts: 93
    Options
    If someone wants to criticise me....go for it!!! So what? I have to answer to myself, not to them.

Wowzers! I wanted to post how appreciative I am to my new friends with open diaries so I can see what they do that works... never considered criticising them over their choices... I wouldn't want that from them either.

I came across this topic, thought the OP was great and then read on.... yikes! I think the OP was misunderstood by some... but what a hot topic this is! I now understand it's a very personal choice and we should respect each other for that.

But, again... Thank you to my friends that allow me to peek at what they do and maybe help me along the way. For sure my choices can always use improvement!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Ive seen peoples food diarys get posted on the message boards just to be picked apart.Mines open now,but I closed it for awhile because I had random a**holes sending me messages about not eating my exercise calories,or eating proccesed foods,or how I shouldnt drink blah blahh blah closing it was much easier than telling each and every one of them to *kitten* off

I don't think that would happen unless the MFP user posts the "please tell me why I am not losing weight!" post. Maybe I am just a newb, but I have found the majority of MFP users to be helpful and pretty friendly. It would take a huge jerk to randomly go into someone's open diary and post it with critique without being prompted to do so.

I'm open to all my friends, and I think it helps us learn from one another and can lead to some good discussion and recipe swapping, since I am too lazy to jump through MFP hoops and get my recipes posted to the general database.
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some people are afraid to leave their food diary open. I, for one, would love to see what the bigger losers are eating that may help me change my ways. I don't care how many calories you eat OR don't eat in a day. That part is your business. I just want to see maybe what I am doing wrong, if anything.

Are they afraid of criticism? Understood, but you can choose to ignore the criticism.

Sorry....just my little rant.

I'm off my soapbox now and back in my corner. ; )

Lately mine is locked and with a password. I think it has a lot to do with my general distrust of social networks and "would you want this seen on the 5 o'clock news" paranoia. I don't mind sharing my pw with MFP friends, but just don't want it open .. .who knows who is lurking here.
  • diegogirl
    Options
    I like it open usually have a look around. More so for ideas and what not and even to share my own diary, Yes and sometimes its not perfect but I dont mind and I admit when I have on and off days thats what helps you move forward better I guess :flowerforyou:
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Because they don't feel the need to share every aspect of their life with you! It's not all about what you eat. Its personal choice. For some its irrelevant for you to know! Nosey!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Ive seen peoples food diarys get posted on the message boards just to be picked apart.Mines open now,but I closed it for awhile because I had random a**holes sending me messages about not eating my exercise calories,or eating proccesed foods,or how I shouldnt drink blah blahh blah closing it was much easier than telling each and every one of them to *kitten* off

This. There is a faction of diet nazis on the site that just have to put their noses in other people's businesses. I really only keep my diary open for my friends.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and dont care who looks. The thing I hate is people who want you to help them but how can I do that when your food diary is closed. All i know from the post is you're either under or over your goal. And we you accept friend requests, you never hear a single word from them except for the auto posts and you comment on every single one and never hear a response of any kind. So what made them pick me for a friend?
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't have my food diary open because I don't want to hear about how I eat too much, I eat the same things everyday, etc. I've been criticized because I am a VERY picky eater who tends to eat the same ole things all the time. Plus, I tend to eat A LOT more than most people on this site.

I've gotten a lot of pretty rude and judgemental comments about my food diary when I allowed people access to it.

Am I embarrassed about what I eat? Nope. It works for me and honestly, that is what I care about. I don't tell other people what they should or shouldn't eat - and it seems people don't remember that same respect.

And honestly? I use my food diary for my own needs - so I can go back and look at what I've eaten if I happen to see a big increase or decrease on the scale.

I wonder why people even care if they can see it or not? I don't look at what other people eat unless they ask for advice on what they're eating. I don't go around peeking at what people eat. But, that's just me .. I guess. *shrug*

This
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

I don't think that would happen unless the MFP user posts the "please tell me why I am not losing weight!" post. Maybe I am just a newb, but I have found the majority of MFP users to be helpful and pretty friendly. It would take a huge jerk to randomly go into someone's open diary and post it with critique without being prompted to do so.

I'm open to all my friends, and I think it helps us learn from one another and can lead to some good discussion and recipe swapping, since I am too lazy to jump through MFP hoops and get my recipes posted to the general database.

I saw it happening. A persons diary was posted in the forums by another user with "OMG! Look at what this person is eating" type comment.

That's why mine is password protected. If I need advice, I'll give the password to somebody that I trust.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My food diary is kept private because only my doctor and I talk about it. The people on my friends list know they cannot 'coach' me or give me any criticisms because its not their place to do it... Many of them do like seeing the meal ideas I have and thats fine... but my food diary doesnt go anywhere except to my physicians....
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid, but what I eat is my business. Just like my weight is my business. Im private by nature and only today made my page public. Who knows... MAYBE the diary will follow, but it will be MY choice, not something I do to make others happy.