C25K Support Group Starting 6/27

Options

Replies

• OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Week 2 is still kicking my butt! Gonna do it for a 4th day today.

Today was day 1 for me for week 2 and I definitely had to take it a little easy. I kept having to go back down to a 3mph walk to catch my breath and get my heart rate down. I hope day 2 will be better. :smile:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I'd like to join in on this!
    I'm going to start with W3D1 tomorrow and I'm excited to reach W4 and run 5 min straight for the first time! :D

Hi Leaf! I've added you to the group list. Congrats on completing the first 2 weeks and good luck to you this week!
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    arrrgh.....I swear I posted, but it didn't show.... anyway hi there! i would love to join your group!! w1d1 here. Probably will be alternating treadmill with outside, but my development is full of huge hills, so we shall see how that goes!

Hi there, love your screen name and the cute little doggy in your profile. :smile:

Thanks for joining the group. The more support we give each other the better and the more likely we will all successfully complete this program.

I too am alternating treadmill and outside. Outside really kicks my butt and I burn a lot more calories but I'm glad I have the treadmill so when it's storming or too hot (I'm in Florida so that's pretty much every other day LOL) I won't have any excuse because the treadmill is right in my place.

Good luck with week 1 and come back and let us know how you did.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Good Luck to all of you doing this! I'm in the middle of C25K myself and yesterday completed Week 5 Day 3, which was a 5 minute walk followed by TWENTY minute run!!! I can't believe I actually did it - it feels fab!! Like many of you, five weeks ago, I was hyperventilating trying to complete the 60 second run! However, I've stuck with it, not missed a session and five weeks on, able to run 20 minutes. I'm looking forward to the last four weeks and thinking ahead and contemplating the Bridge to 10K programme afterwards!!

I've blogged about every session, if you're interested. www.bobbienet.com

Good luck xx

Hi Bobbie, thank you so much for sharing your story with us. You are an inspiration. I love the support that our group is getting from those who are further along in the program or have completed it. It lets us know that we can do it too.

Will definitely check out your blog.

Thanks again.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    It's so weird - just yesterday I posted about how much Week 2 of C25K was kicking my butt and then this morning I did it with no problems! I actually added an extra run segment cause I felt so good!

Way to go Zj!!!! That is awesome.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Hey! I finished Week 2 on the weekend! Last week I had to do Tues/Thurs/Sat because I was sick on Monday, and during the weekend I didn't log on (I was being lazy) so here is my update! Yay week 2 finished!

I am starting week 3 today (back to Mon/Wed/Fri).... I am quite scared...

You can do it!!! :happy:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Hey guys, there are a number of blank rows in our spreadsheet so I wanted to check in to see if everyone has been able to start the first week.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvHU3frwtA1PdEJ4ZEs3ZkVNVjNxbnQyRlprdFJDUHc&hl=en_US&authkey=COK98t0N

Remember, please check in and let us know how it is going. We are here to support each other and only want everyone to succeed. I hope everyone is doing well.
  • muffin111
    muffin111 Posts: 12
    Options
    Is anyone else sore??? Besides the good kinda sore?? I have runner's knee (irritation of cartilage in knee)! Blahhh!! I need to ice my knees because I'm due for Week2Day2 tomorrow and nothing is going to stop me! I'm going to try to build up my thigh muscles too with strength training to help support my knees more during running. Anyone else with sore knees, shins, or anything else? What are you doing to fix it? I'm not taking time off unless I can't even walk :o)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else sore??? Besides the good kinda sore?? I have runner's knee (irritation of cartilage in knee)! Blahhh!! I need to ice Anyone else with sore knees, shins, or anything else? What are you doing to fix it? I'm not taking time off unless I can't even walk :o)

I've had a sore hip for the last week or so, right at the highest point of my left illiac crest, that made climbing stairs difficult for a day or two. I didn't do anything to treat it or take any time off and it seems to be healing up on its own. No persistent pains other than that. Post run fatigue, yes, pain, no.

Good idea to strengthen your thigh muscles. I had to face up to that issue back in March, when I was forced to give up on the 30 day shred after 8 days because the high impact aerobic intervals were absolutely KILLING my legs. The situation showed no signs that it was going to improve anytime soon unless I did something to strengthen and stabilize my legs, so I put the DVD away and began hitting the gym for strength training and time on the elliptical instead. I'm happy to report that the change in exercise strategy worked like a charm. My knees and ankles are more than up to the the challenge of C25K now and I'm sure they could handle the shred too, so I'll probably be going back to it after I finish C25K.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, there are a number of blank rows in our spreadsheet so I wanted to check in to see if everyone has been able to start the first week.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvHU3frwtA1PdEJ4ZEs3ZkVNVjNxbnQyRlprdFJDUHc&hl=en_US&authkey=COK98t0N

Remember, please check in and let us know how it is going. We are here to support each other and only want everyone to succeed. I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm not on the worksheet - I just finished week 2.
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    Is anyone else sore??? Besides the good kinda sore?? I have runner's knee (irritation of cartilage in knee)! Blahhh!! I need to ice my knees because I'm due for Week2Day2 tomorrow and nothing is going to stop me! I'm going to try to build up my thigh muscles too with strength training to help support my knees more during running. Anyone else with sore knees, shins, or anything else? What are you doing to fix it? I'm not taking time off unless I can't even walk :o)

Just finished Week5Day2, a big change to move to 8 minutes straight. But I did it - and did a little Rocky dance after the second run :-) My plan to head in to the big 20 miinute straight is to walk tomorrow, take one day off, and then complete week 5.

About being sore - I am a little sore, but not anything "painful", if that makes sense. When I first started I had one hip that really hurt the day after a run. So much that I couldn't even do my daily walk the next day. I stopped the running program for about a week, and cut back on walking. It really helped. You know your body best - a little soreness would be normal, but real pain, I don't think it should be there!

Good luck everyone!
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I'm not on the worksheet - I just finished week 2.

Sorry Zj, you are on there now and good luck with week 3!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Well I thought I did W3 D1 but was confused because it seemed so short. In fact I added a run to the end. It turned out I was right my chart I made from copying the chart on-line was missing a row. The row that said do this twice and to walk for 5 minutes first. That was what I felt must be missing. So today was my D1 W3. I definitely need 3 full days of this to be ready for the next week.

As to getting sore. What I notice is often one of my feet complains at the beginning of several of my sessions. I just go slow till it stops complaining and then start. It seems to work well. I think all pains you need to listen to but some you need to let your body know it isn't getting out of this just with a little whining. Others are more serious and you just have to distinguish between them. Mine anyway tries to convince me not to make it do the work but after I make it clear it is not getting out of it I don't hear anymore from it. I'll slow down and be careful for one of these but I don't turn back and quit unless I can tell it is serious.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    As to getting sore. What I notice is often one of my feet complains at the beginning of several of my sessions. I just go slow till it stops complaining and then start. It seems to work well. I think all pains you need to listen to but some you need to let your body know it isn't getting out of this just with a little whining. Others are more serious and you just have to distinguish between them. Mine anyway tries to convince me not to make it do the work but after I make it clear it is not getting out of it I don't hear anymore from it. I'll slow down and be careful for one of these but I don't turn back and quit unless I can tell it is serious.

Love that Keri! :)
  • Shannon1023
    Shannon1023 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Completed w1d2 today with my newly downloaded podcast! Whoop!! So glad I downloaded that because I misread the chart the first day and shorted my workout by 2 runs! It's all good though...today felt great!!
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I been on vacation all week. I have worked out but mostly weights and hiking. I left on week 5 day 2. Only problem is I'm worried coming back to week 5 week 3. It is a big jump from week 5 day 2- 8 minute running intervals, to 20 minutes straight running. I'm thinking I should do week 5 day 2 again before I move on the week 5 day 3. I know I won't be able to do 20 minutes of straight running after not running for a week. What do you think? Hope you all are doing well. Has anyone taken the jump from week 5 day 2 to week 5 day 3? If so, how was it? I'm scared. My plan next week is to take gym classes 4 days a week and run 3 days a week. I want to loose my last 3 pounds this month and then maintain.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I should do week 5 day 2 again before I move on the week 5 day 3. I know I won't be able to do 20 minutes of straight running after not running for a week. What do you think? Hope you all are doing well. Has anyone taken the jump from week 5 day 2 to week 5 day 3? If so, how was it? I'm scared.

I got through week 5, day 3 on Saturday and it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared, but then I was able to stay on schedule. I can see how it could be especially daunting when you haven't run for a week. Try it anyway. If need be, you can always insert a recovery walk in the middle and try the full 20 minutes again a couple of days later.

Today (Tuesday) was week 6, day 1 for me, and it was a step back on the level of difficulty - an 8 minute run sandwiched between 5 minute runs. It sounded easy, and was, which was a first for me. It was the first time since I began C25K that I wasn't at least a little apprehensive about my ability to complete the workout.
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K on Monday, the first time I have ever done a proper exercise regime. I'm determind to keep the running up, and this is a great help. Day 1 was great! The hardest bit was getting off my backside and out the door to do it. I'm doing day 2 in a minute.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Finished W3D1 yesterday on the treadmill. It wasn't easy but it wasn't super hard. My left knee gave me some problem at the first 1 1/2 min run but it went away after the first 3 minute walk. I thought the whole thing was quite short...so I actually did two round of the whole set so a total of 50 some odd minutes. I felt more of a workout after two sets so I think I might do another two sets some time this week.

I haven't been able to run outside because my friend is visiting so I really hope my work on the treadmill is not going to affect my outside runs later.

I have a question: On the treadmill, my speed is between 8.5 - 10 kph which I found out is like 5.5 - 6.25mph. Does that seem very slow to you guys? I mean I am definitely 'running' but people are seem to be running at like 8 - 10mph?!

I am definitely sore but not as much as last week. My knees are kind of bothering me but I've been massaging it and like others said, lots and lots of stretching!

Everyone seems to be doing so well! I'm glad to have this support group to keep me going! May do W3D2 today, haven't yet decided...
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options

I have a question: On the treadmill, my speed is between 8.5 - 10 kph which I found out is like 5.5 - 6.25mph. Does that seem very slow to you guys? I mean I am definitely 'running' but people are seem to be running at like 8 - 10mph?!

I am definitely sore but not as much as last week. My knees are kind of bothering me but I've been massaging it and like others said, lots and lots of stretching!

Everyone seems to be doing so well! I'm glad to have this support group to keep me going! May do W3D2 today, haven't yet decided...

On my treadmill I do the run segments at 5.0 mph. 6.0 is a more natural run pace for me but I can't maintain it for 3 min. 8-10mph is pretty fast.