Replies

• ohiogirl30
    ohiogirl30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, mind if I join in a bit late? I just started the program and could use a little support. I have never been a runner and would have bet you money that I would never be one. Time to eat my words.

I skipped week one because I've been working out very consistently and felt I was physically able to do it. I just did week 2 day 2 today despite having dislocated my knee this morning. I can't believe how quickly I've fallen in love with running! It's certainly a hate/love, but still! Regardless, I know I have a long way to go (as evidenced by my heavy mouth breathing) and I would love to follow the posts and pick up tips.

Does anybody end up running more than 3 days a week? What do you guys do in between days?
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I did Week 2, Day 1 today! I almost forgot about this thread since I didn't do ANY workouts last week. (I was house/dog sitting for my mom, who doesn't have any equipment, and it was too hot to run outside. I know, I know, excuses, excuses! lol) Needless to say, I thought that today would be really hard after an entire week off. To my surprise, it was quite invigorating! I do have to say that I'm doing it on an elliptical and I realize that it's must easier on there than outside or even on a treadmill, but I'm still very happy that it makes me feel excellent afterward (and not like my chest is on fire and my head is going to explode). I think a lot of that is because I really concentrate on breathing correctly, which I never did when I was younger. I'm starting to think that if someone had told me the correct way to breathe back then I wouldn't have hated running so much. So, THANK YOU to everyone who posted articles on breathing correctly while running! :)

You are too funny. I'm also trying to work on the breathing and I think it's getting better.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Congratulations everyone for the progress you are making. Lots of us are starting Week 4. I almost did it. I did the runs but I took an extra half minutes for the walks in between. So not sure I will start Week 5 next week or not on Tuesday next week. Hopefully Thursday I can do Week 4 with the shorter walk intervals. However I am still proud that I did my "runs". I am charting not only what week I am on but how many total minutes I am running out of my 2.8 mile walk around the Lake each time. It was cooler here today so that worked out good for me. So stay safe everyone and listen to the consistent pains as Techymum says.
    Keri

I'm proud of you too Keri :happy:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Week 1 completed!!! It was really hot here in NY today, but it was ok to run. I actually managed to listen to part of a concert in Prospect Park. And I have to say, there are pretty good looking guys running in the park in the evening. I should wear some make up during my work out :)
    How do we go about updating the spreadsheet?

LOL hilarious about the good looking guys. I don't see any at my park.

I'll update the spreadsheet for you. You were already updated by the way. Just check in from time to time on the thread and I'll update as I hear back from you. :smile:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I am about to start week 6 of the C25K on Thursday. I love this program and it makes me push myself... I actually enjoy running once again. Good luck to all of you!!

Thanks Love. It's really amazing because I get up in the morning and actually look forward to it. Never thought that would happen until pigs could fly. :laugh:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Completed week 4 day 1 tonight and I survived! I'm doing it. I can't believe it! We're all doing it! Hurray for us!

Great job Lover! :drinker:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Week 6 Day 1 complete.

You are almost caught up to Kilgore hehe
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Hello everyone, mind if I join in a bit late? I just started the program and could use a little support. I have never been a runner and would have bet you money that I would never be one. Time to eat my words.

I skipped week one because I've been working out very consistently and felt I was physically able to do it. I just did week 2 day 2 today despite having dislocated my knee this morning. I can't believe how quickly I've fallen in love with running! It's certainly a hate/love, but still! Regardless, I know I have a long way to go (as evidenced by my heavy mouth breathing) and I would love to follow the posts and pick up tips.

Does anybody end up running more than 3 days a week? What do you guys do in between days?

Hey North!!

I can't believe you were able to run with a dislocated knee. Now that is some serious dedication girl. Way to go!

I've added you to the group spreadsheet (link in my signature). I definitely think being a part of this group has kept me going. The support on this site from perfect strangers is just awesome!

I have consolidated some of the tips in the group blog (see the link in my signature). I probably need to read back through the posts to add to the list of tips as there have been more awesome tips from our group members. I'll try to do that tomorrow if work is boring LOL.

I used to jog occassionally but once I started the program I haven't been running more than 3 days of the program. I do try to do a little extra though after I finish each C25K interval. I might walk for a few more minutes or even do extra jogs. I think some of the other members are running or walking on other days though so hopefully they'll see your question and respond. Three days out of the week I do a bootcamp which is pretty intense so I don't really do any other workouts on those days. The other three days I do C25K and then I try to have one rest day a week. Lately however, I have missed bootcamp a lot so I've been doing things like INSANITY, Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and Turbo Jam. C25K will get you your cardio but you definitely need to also do strength training.

Welcome to the group and happy running!
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Did week 2 day 1 on Monday. It's really hilly where I live but I found an area of our local common that's a bit flatter which made such a big difference! I was feeling good, so added another 2 sets of walking / running on to the end of the programme! I'm going to do w2 d2 in a minute :smile:
    OneBryteSmile - thanks for setting up this thread and for all your support, it really helps :flowerforyou:
  • MistyDC29
    MistyDC29 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am about to go out and do my w1 d3 run. This is the one that I stalled on last time...I learned WHY you need to be hydrated and stretch. Ended up with some really painful cramps! Ouch! So, I am sitting here drinking and stretching as I type this. :-) Wish me luck! :-)
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    well brytesmile did what you said and i DID IT! you can officially mark me complete with week 4 :) i did w5d1 this morning and minus having to stop for 30 seconds to fix my hrm i didnt have to stop at all i also added another 6 minute run at the end. I will try day 2 in the next couple of days. thanks for the encouragement i probably would have done w4 again

i agree with misty stretching is important! i find the longer distances that i go the more i need to stretch. i also find that the last run is always the easiest and at that point i feel like i could go longer but the first run i definitely dont feel that way. anyone else experience that?

this program is great i actually wake up excited to run and its turned me into a morning person i never thought that would happen haha
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Did week 2 day 1 on Monday. It's really hilly where I live but I found an area of our local common that's a bit flatter which made such a big difference! I was feeling good, so added another 2 sets of walking / running on to the end of the programme! I'm going to do w2 d2 in a minute :smile:
    OneBryteSmile - thanks for setting up this thread and for all your support, it really helps :flowerforyou:

Hey Caroline, you're very welcome dear!

Now you are really finding out what you are made of so way to go! I'm on week 3 now and when the podcast ends I'm still so pumped up that I've been getting in extra jogs. We're becoming runners - who would have thought that would ever happen. :laugh:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I am about to go out and do my w1 d3 run. This is the one that I stalled on last time...I learned WHY you need to be hydrated and stretch. Ended up with some really painful cramps! Ouch! So, I am sitting here drinking and stretching as I type this. :-) Wish me luck! :-)

Good luck on your final run for week 3!!!! Stretching and hydrating is extremely important. I take both very seriously and am happy to say I have had no cramps and no major shin splints issues so far (knock on wood :laugh:) . I'm working my shins all day with toe taps underneath my desk. I walk on my tippy toes when I'm home sometimes and I spend probably at least 10 minutes before and after each run just stretching out my calfs, shins and legs. I run with my water bottle and sip as much as I can. I try to eat light at least 30 minutes before I go out on run. I work on my breathing and I pace myself. It all seems to be working for me so far.
  • LtAngela
    LtAngela Posts: 35
    Options
    Hello,

I know a couple of us are planning to start the C25K program tomorrow so I wanted to start this post so that we can report on our progress over the next 9 weeks. I'm sure we could all use the support. Feel free to "bump" the post so that you can come back later.

I'll check in tomorrow to post my results and see how everyone did. :smile:

Here is RESULT!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/288131-compare-my-photo-before-and-after
  • MistyDC29
    MistyDC29 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am back from finishing w1! Woohoo! I did it! I wanted to quit...I wanted to walk instead of run. But I did it! I pushed through and did them all! Woohoo!! :-) I am really struggling with my shins and my feet cramp while I am walking, but not when I run. But I finished. I am going to go ice my shins now, but I just had to let you all know! :-)
  • Taicort
    Taicort Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So... i know this support group started a couple weeks ago but im gonna weasel my way in here. :)
    I started my C25K this morning! Feeling good after the first run/walk but im sure it is only going to get harder. The only areas around my house are rather hilly so i know that is going to make things a little more difficult later in the program but at least ill have built legs in a couple months ^.^ Im not usually a person who sticks with things for very long but i hope that knowing there are other people out there experiencing the same thing with me will help keep me on track. Keep on trucking!

Namaste!
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    well brytesmile did what you said and i DID IT! you can officially mark me complete with week 4 :) i did w5d1 this morning and minus having to stop for 30 seconds to fix my hrm i didnt have to stop at all i also added another 6 minute run at the end. I will try day 2 in the next couple of days. thanks for the encouragement i probably would have done w4 again

i agree with misty stretching is important! i find the longer distances that i go the more i need to stretch. i also find that the last run is always the easiest and at that point i feel like i could go longer but the first run i definitely dont feel that way. anyone else experience that?

this program is great i actually wake up excited to run and its turned me into a morning person i never thought that would happen haha

I'm so proud of you girl! You're doing so good. You are a runner now, oh yes you are!!!!

I experience the same thing you are experiencing. After the brisk walk and then getting into the first run, I always have to take it slow. By the time I get to the last run, I feel like my adrenaline is pumping and I can go a little bit faster. This is when I really push myself.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I am back from finishing w1! Woohoo! I did it! I wanted to quit...I wanted to walk instead of run. But I did it! I pushed through and did them all! Woohoo!! :-) I am really struggling with my shins and my feet cramp while I am walking, but not when I run. But I finished. I am going to go ice my shins now, but I just had to let you all know! :-)

That brought a smile to my face Misty. I love how excited you are about finishing your first week and knowing that you really did it. Love that!!! Proud of you. Now about the cramps and shins, please make sure you take care of those. Lots of stretching before and after. If interested, you may also want to look into getting properly fitted for running shoes. If you continue to have the problems, please see your doc to make sure it's nothing serious. Got to take care of our bodies. I want to see all of you make it to your 9th week and your first 5K.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    So... i know this support group started a couple weeks ago but im gonna weasel my way in here. :)
    I started my C25K this morning! Feeling good after the first run/walk but im sure it is only going to get harder. The only areas around my house are rather hilly so i know that is going to make things a little more difficult later in the program but at least ill have built legs in a couple months ^.^ Im not usually a person who sticks with things for very long but i hope that knowing there are other people out there experiencing the same thing with me will help keep me on track. Keep on trucking!

Namaste!

Hey Tai and welcome!!! It does get harder but not as hard as you might think. You will surely be surprised each week at how much more you'll be able to do. A lot of us even find that we are doing extra walks or jogs at the end just because we CAN! I hope that you do stick wtih it and find the support you need right here with us. You're now on the list so we are holding you accountable. :happy: