C25K Support Group Starting 6/27

Options

Replies

• kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Awesome group!!! I started week one last week but I got sick and missed some workouts and now I am all out of whack lol. So tomorrow I will be starting over and doing week one day 1!! I find what helped was going to the c25k site and downloading the podcast by Robert U. [if you run with an ipod or something]. He tells you when to run, when to walk and then the rest is just listening to some music. Good luck, we can do this!! :D
  • alyana1
    alyana1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey, i wanna join up!

I started running with the couch25k and started calorie counting at the start of the month and completed week 3 run 2 this morning. Although i expect to repeat week 3 run 3, because i'm not sure how well the body will react to the next week, so its like practice. If i feel like i'm struggling with it, i fear i'd give up, so i've found that i'll try that week, and if possible, will encorporate extra runs into the last day of that week, just to help me manage the following week!

I really couldn't run at all when i started. I have sciatica and have done since 2008. Sounds very bizarre, but walking triggers it, yet running doesn't seem to bring it on. I had a big back twinge the first time i went running but didn't let it stop me.

If i can do it, with sciatica.. you all can do it!
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Awesome group!!! I started week one last week but I got sick and missed some workouts and now I am all out of whack lol. So tomorrow I will be starting over and doing week one day 1!! I find what helped was going to the c25k site and downloading the podcast by Robert U. [if you run with an ipod or something]. He tells you when to run, when to walk and then the rest is just listening to some music. Good luck, we can do this!! :D

Thanks KJ. I just downloaded all of the podcasts and then realized I couldn't find my old MP3 player so now I have to get a new one LOL.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Hey, i wanna join up!

I started running with the couch25k and started calorie counting at the start of the month and completed week 3 run 2 this morning. Although i expect to repeat week 3 run 3, because i'm not sure how well the body will react to the next week, so its like practice. If i feel like i'm struggling with it, i fear i'd give up, so i've found that i'll try that week, and if possible, will encorporate extra runs into the last day of that week, just to help me manage the following week!

I really couldn't run at all when i started. I have sciatica and have done since 2008. Sounds very bizarre, but walking triggers it, yet running doesn't seem to bring it on. I had a big back twinge the first time i went running but didn't let it stop me.

If i can do it, with sciatica.. you all can do it!

Hi Aly, congrats on making it to your 3rd week and thanks for the great tips and encouragement! I am so inspired that despite sciatica that you have pushed through it and made it so far. You are absolutely right, if you can do it, we all can do it too! :smile:
  • alyana1
    alyana1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've just discovered this run keeper app for my phone that calculates the distance. Turns out i'm doing roughly about 2.2miles each time, but there is alot of hills. I run in fields because its less impact than on tarmac, and its a wheat field, which has a number of benefits. No one can see me running (like Phoebe in friends lol - not really!) also it means there is NO where to sit so i can't stop, plus there is only one loop track in the field, so i can't cheat either!

I think its much more enjoyable outside, i've heard so many people say its so much easier on a treadmill. Although you really feel the calf burn when running outside.. means its working! btw, expect to feel sore the first week, you;ll find muscles you forgot you had!
  • muffin111
    muffin111 Posts: 12
    Options
    I finished Week 1 Day 1! It went surprisingly well! I've never really ran on a treadmill, or ran at all : ) I usually do the elliptical but I felt like running might to a better job at targeting the tough spots (thighs, butt, hips) because runners usually look so FIT! Now it's my turn : ) To everyone starting tomorrow good luck, you will feel amazing after, it's a really good workout! I recommend the iPhone/iPod Touch app C25K if you can get it... it syncs to your music playlist and a voice will come on to tell you when to walk or run. :D
  • mopedgirl007
    mopedgirl007 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join this group. I started C25K once before and decided I needed to be able to walk for more then 30 minutes before I plan on walking AND running for more then 30 minutes. Hopefully I will be able to stay focused once the real heat sets in and during vacations up to the lake.
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I finished week 4 yesterday. So far it hasn't been so bad. I have been able to keep up. I am worried about day 3 of week 5. Jog for 20 minutes? That came out of no where. The day before was 8 minutes at a time. I am very worried about that day. At the end of 5 minutes of jogging I am so ready for a walking break. Good luck to you all. I'll keep you posted.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I finished week 4 yesterday. So far it hasn't been so bad. I have been able to keep up. I am worried about day 3 of week 5. Jog for 20 minutes? That came out of no where. The day before was 8 minutes at a time. I am very worried about that day. At the end of 5 minutes of jogging I am so ready for a walking break. Good luck to you all. I'll keep you posted.

I also finished week 4 yesterday, then took a short break and ran an additional 10 minutes without stopping. My breathing is beginning to get heavy at that point, I'm uncomfortable, my muscles burn, but it doesn't seem to get much worse if I just keep running. That's a big change from the first couple of weeks when I'd be gasping for breath after the first minute. I kind of get that 8 to 20 minute jump now: it's a psychological barrier that I have to burst through. I have to prove to myself that I can do it, just as I proved that I can run 10 minutes yesterday.

I'm a 58 year old reforming couch potato, by the way, and hadn't run since high school. If I can do it...
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I also finished week 4 yesterday, then took a short break and ran an additional 10 minutes without stopping. My breathing is beginning to get heavy at that point, I'm uncomfortable, my muscles burn, but it doesn't seem to get much worse if I just keep running. That's a big change from the first couple of weeks when I'd be gasping for breath after the first minute. I kind of get that 8 to 20 minute jump now: it's a psychological barrier that I have to burst through. I have to prove to myself that I can do it, just as I proved that I can run 10 minutes yesterday.

I'm a 58 year old reforming couch potato, by the way, and hadn't run since high school. If I can do it...

Thanks. Wow, you are doing well. I am 30 and have been working out at least 5 days a week for the past 9 years. Last summer I ran every day. However, after a few minutes I needed a walking break and then I started right back up. I just got back from week 5 day 1. Running the 5 minute intervals isn't really a problem. But by the end of the 5 minutes I can't wait for a break. I think I'll do okay with the 8 minute runs but the 20 minutes is gonna be rough. I am not sure if I will be able to do it without stopping. I am going to have to do it a day I have a lot of energy. We shall see. Good luck and keep me updated.
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I'm in! Another one who NEVER imagined she would run, or even want to run! I started using the ultimate 5k program a few weeks ago, but want to switch over to the c25k app now - it seems like it pushes your runs longer a bit better than the other app. I am not going to start on week one day one as I have already done 3 weeks of the other, so I hope that is ok!

Also pushed myself way to far last week and did something stupid to my hip, so went right back to walking.

The 5k run I have planned is either in September or October, we haven't decided which one yet.

Good luck everyone!

Jayme
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump!!! cant wait to try this out and see how I do...havent ran in...well I honestly cant even say how long haha but im gonna give a good effort! woohoo!!!
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I'd love to join this group. I started C25K once before and decided I needed to be able to walk for more then 30 minutes before I plan on walking AND running for more then 30 minutes. Hopefully I will be able to stay focused once the real heat sets in and during vacations up to the lake.

Welcome...we'd love to have you!
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options

Thanks Dyianne...definitely let us know how it goes.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I'm in! Another one who NEVER imagined she would run, or even want to run! I started using the ultimate 5k program a few weeks ago, but want to switch over to the c25k app now - it seems like it pushes your runs longer a bit better than the other app. I am not going to start on week one day one as I have already done 3 weeks of the other, so I hope that is ok!

Also pushed myself way to far last week and did something stupid to my hip, so went right back to walking.

The 5k run I have planned is either in September or October, we haven't decided which one yet.

Good luck everyone!

Jayme

Thanks for joining Jayme and yes you can start at whatever week you feel most comfortable. Just check in and let us know how it is going.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Hey guys,

When I did a trial week 1, day 1, my shins were really killing me. Here are some videos and links to help you with shin and calf exercises. Stretching is going to be REALLY important before and after. Hope this helps. And please freel free to post any good stretch exercises that you would recommend for running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diDwjLN1UEU
    http://www.ehow.com/video_5247011_exercises-prevent-shin-splints.html
    http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercisefeet/ss/ShinSplintExerc.htm
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I've just discovered this run keeper app for my phone that calculates the distance. Turns out i'm doing roughly about 2.2miles each time, but there is alot of hills. I run in fields because its less impact than on tarmac, and its a wheat field, which has a number of benefits. No one can see me running (like Phoebe in friends lol - not really!) also it means there is NO where to sit so i can't stop, plus there is only one loop track in the field, so i can't cheat either!

I think its much more enjoyable outside, i've heard so many people say its so much easier on a treadmill. Although you really feel the calf burn when running outside.. means its working! btw, expect to feel sore the first week, you;ll find muscles you forgot you had!

Thanks Aly! I definitely agree about it being more enjoyable outside. I went running at the park on Saturday and felt so awesome wtih the breeze against my face. Working on getting a new MP3 player so I can get the podcasts for C25K (don't have a smartphone to download the app unfortunately :frown: ). I'm starting Wk1/Day1 this evening but will have to use the treadmill.
  • sonicdescent
    Options
    I've hit my first wall at week 4, so I know I'm a little ahead but I think it'll even itself out shortly..may I participate?
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I've hit my first wall at week 4, so I know I'm a little ahead but I think it'll even itself out shortly..may I participate?

Hi Sonic. Yes you can participate. What made you hit a wall? Some of the folks in this group have already started so perhaps they can give you some tips to get over that wall.
  • SuzieR
    SuzieR Posts: 127
    Options
    Hello C25kers :)

Well, I'm supposed to start today. Here in England we're having a mini heatwave (mini as it'll only last a day - we call this summer :)). Also I wore new sandals to work and I have a burny blister on the underside of my foot :( ... excuses excuses huh?! I'm good at procrastinating, so I think I'm going to start tomorrow instead, changing my run days to Tuesday, Thursday and either Saturday or Sunday....