C25K Support Group Starting 6/27

Options

Replies

• OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Hello C25kers :)

Well, I'm supposed to start today. Here in England we're having a mini heatwave (mini as it'll only last a day - we call this summer :)). Also I wore new sandals to work and I have a burny blister on the underside of my foot :( ... excuses excuses huh?! I'm good at procrastinating, so I think I'm going to start tomorrow instead, changing my run days to Tuesday, Thursday and either Saturday or Sunday....

Totally understand Suzie. We'll be here whenever you get started. :)
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I am so excited right now! I finally found my old, very old MP3 player, found a new battery and brought her back to life. Got the podcasts loaded and should be all set to run outside this evening when it gets cooler. :happy:
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    OK, I found you again! With several groups doing this, I am afraid I was all over the place, but this for sure is the right one, lol!

Last night I completed Week 2, Day 1. The first jog portion was tough, but after that I breezed through each one!

Jayme
  • sonicdescent
    Options
    I've hit my first wall at week 4, so I know I'm a little ahead but I think it'll even itself out shortly..may I participate?

Hi Sonic. Yes you can participate. What made you hit a wall? Some of the folks in this group have already started so perhaps they can give you some tips to get over that wall.

At week three, you do 1.5 run, 1.5 walk, 3 run, 3 walk etc..
    week four is 3 run, 1.5 walk, 5 run, 3 walk. Doubling the total of running from 9 to 18 minutes. I made it to about 2 minutes into the last run and had to walk, couldn't catch my breath. I'd love to give some advice on how to get past it, but I really haven't yet. I am going to continue to repeat w4d1 until I can do it.

I would recommend that everyone who has access to a smartphone use a c25k app, because attempting to time it yourself can be distracting. I make it a point not to look at time remaining during a run and just go by the prompts so that I don't get discouraged if I see more time than I had expected.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    OK, I found you again! With several groups doing this, I am afraid I was all over the place, but this for sure is the right one, lol!

Last night I completed Week 2, Day 1. The first jog portion was tough, but after that I breezed through each one!

Jayme

Sorry about that Jayme. Congrats on finishing Week 2, day 1. Are you doing yours outside or on the treadmill?
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    At week three, you do 1.5 run, 1.5 walk, 3 run, 3 walk etc..
    week four is 3 run, 1.5 walk, 5 run, 3 walk. Doubling the total of running from 9 to 18 minutes. I made it to about 2 minutes into the last run and had to walk, couldn't catch my breath. I'd love to give some advice on how to get past it, but I really haven't yet. I am going to continue to repeat w4d1 until I can do it.

I would recommend that everyone who has access to a smartphone use a c25k app, because attempting to time it yourself can be distracting. I make it a point not to look at time remaining during a run and just go by the prompts so that I don't get discouraged if I see more time than I had expected.

Great advice! I see nothing wrong wtih repeating a day or week until you can complete the whole thing. I know what you mean about getting discouraged when you see how much time you have left. I actually have to cover up my treadmill screen when I run so I don't look at the time. LOL
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Found some more helpful info for you guys. If you are using podcasts, there's a bunch of different ones listed on the C25K facebook discussion board here:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=69770172881&topic=16644#!/topic.php?uid=69770172881&topic=16712

You can also check out lots of options here: http://www.c25kplaylists.com

Hope that helps someone.
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    hello!! can i join too!!

jst done W1 D2!! waited to put lil man in bed, and the heat to cool down a bit.

i chose a different route to last time and it was still ok. the hills kill me though. however i am still alive!!!

my days are going to be Mon, Thurs and Sat.

I swim on sundays and tues.

and weigh in at class on weds followed by zumba!!!! crikey!!! :laugh:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    hello!! can i join too!!

jst done W1 D2!! waited to put lil man in bed, and the heat to cool down a bit.

i chose a different route to last time and it was still ok. the hills kill me though. however i am still alive!!!

my days are going to be Mon, Thurs and Sat.

I swim on sundays and tues.

and weigh in at class on weds followed by zumba!!!! crikey!!! :laugh:

Wow sounds like you got a full schedule kal. I love that! :) Well welcome to the group. :)
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Thought I'd post my results from today. Unfortunately it started storming where I live so I had to use my treadmill instead. I'm on Week 1, Day 1 so took it light to avoid shin problems. I started walking at 3mph and jogging at 3.5 with a 1% incline. Each time, I steadily increased the speed until I was walking at 3.5 and jogging 4. Highest incline I went to was 1.5. I plan to steadily increase the speed and incline each week. No idea how many miles I did today though because I hit the key thingy on my treadmill which temporarily stopped it and reset everything :(.

Can't wait to hear how you guys did today.
  • islander22
    islander22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi gang,

I'm hoping I can join you all. After talking to a co-worker last week about getting in shape and starting a running plan, she recommended C25K, so I downloaded the app by runhelper and started today. I got home and went to log my exercise and decided to look to see if there was anyone talking about c25k on the boards. And...voila...here you guys are!! I did week 1 day 1 today and it really wasn't so bad. I think my biggest hurdle is going to be a mental one. I felt so weird going through my neighborhood doing this, like someone was going to judge me for only running a short distance at a time or something. I need to get out of my head and just enjoy being outdoors and getting the exercise. Happy to have found you all!!
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Just did week 5 day 2. I was nervous about this one as the run time went from 5 minutes last time to 8 minutes this time. I did fine. I can't believe the next run is 20 minutes straight. This is a huge jump from 8 minutes. I am going on vacation so I may have to do week 5 day 2 over when I get back so I can prepare for day 3. Good luck to all.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    bump
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Hi gang,

I'm hoping I can join you all. After talking to a co-worker last week about getting in shape and starting a running plan, she recommended C25K, so I downloaded the app by runhelper and started today. I got home and went to log my exercise and decided to look to see if there was anyone talking about c25k on the boards. And...voila...here you guys are!! I did week 1 day 1 today and it really wasn't so bad. I think my biggest hurdle is going to be a mental one. I felt so weird going through my neighborhood doing this, like someone was going to judge me for only running a short distance at a time or something. I need to get out of my head and just enjoy being outdoors and getting the exercise. Happy to have found you all!!

Hi Islander and congratulations on getting started! I totally agree with you about the mental thing. Here's a great quote that I found that I try to think of when I think I want to give up:
    "You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." - George S. Patton"

I'm glad you found us. :smile:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Just did week 5 day 2. I was nervous about this one as the run time went from 5 minutes last time to 8 minutes this time. I did fine. I can't believe the next run is 20 minutes straight. This is a huge jump from 8 minutes. I am going on vacation so I may have to do week 5 day 2 over when I get back so I can prepare for day 3. Good luck to all.

That 8 to 20 minute jump does sound scary. I heard week 4 is the toughest for most people so if you have made it to week 5 then you are doing awesome! Hope you have a great vacation!
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I got through Week 1 Day 1 with success!!! After I was having serious anxiety about running in public it went really well and I got through the whole 20 mins...and def feel soooo much better after doing it and I'm ready to do it again :) proud of everyone today!!! we rock!!!
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I got through Week 1 Day 1 with success!!! After I was having serious anxiety about running in public it went really well and I got through the whole 20 mins...and def feel soooo much better after doing it and I'm ready to do it again :) proud of everyone today!!! we rock!!!

And we are so proud of you Krispy! Day 2 here we come!
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Week 4 really wasn't too bad. Week 5 not so bad until day 3... We shall see. I have never run for 20 minutes straight. I can walk/run for over an hour. Run straight for 20 minutes thats crazy talk. My feet are actually hurting from the 8 minute intervals. Good luck to all.
  • midnightsukie
    midnightsukie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hey

just wondering if i can join in?

I started C25K in the winter on a treadmill (which is so much easier and doesnt seem to use half as many mucles as outside, well for me anyway!). i gave up on the week where you have to run for 20 mins, just couldnt do the 20 mins and it put me off :(

I want to start again. I live 3.2K from work and instead of walking home once a week I want to be able to jog the whole way there. i know its not the full 5k but a good goal all the less :)

so going to start it again, but at week 3 so be good to have the support! :)

Susannah
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    hi everyone!

I am really excited about this post! I am on week two. I never had the endurance to run long distances and I really want to. I have been running outside because I know its the hardest and I want to be able to run under any condition. also the weather is too beautiful to not be outside :)

As I said I never had any sort of running abilities and this program makes me feel like I can accomplish this! I didn't trust myself to do week two one the road first because I was huffing and puffing just running 60 seconds straight so I tried it on the tread mill firsts before I took it outside and even though my time was slower I DID IT! yay!

now I just figured i would run 4 days. The first day of a new week would be on the treadmill to make sure I can do it and then 3 under harder conditions which is outside.

Well see how it goes.

I wish everyone luck!