C25K Support Group Starting 6/27

Options

Replies

• OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    hey

just wondering if i can join in?

I started C25K in the winter on a treadmill (which is so much easier and doesnt seem to use half as many mucles as outside, well for me anyway!). i gave up on the week where you have to run for 20 mins, just couldnt do the 20 mins and it put me off :(

I want to start again. I live 3.2K from work and instead of walking home once a week I want to be able to jog the whole way there. i know its not the full 5k but a good goal all the less :)

so going to start it again, but at week 3 so be good to have the support! :)

Susannah

Hi Susannah, a 5K is actually 3.1 miles so your commute from work is perfect! I can't wait to hear back from you when you start jogging all the way home from work and see how far you have come! Good luck and we'll be here cheering you right on.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    hi everyone!

I am really excited about this post! I am on week two. I never had the endurance to run long distances and I really want to. I have been running outside because I know its the hardest and I want to be able to run under any condition. also the weather is too beautiful to not be outside :)

As I said I never had any sort of running abilities and this program makes me feel like I can accomplish this! I didn't trust myself to do week two one the road first because I was huffing and puffing just running 60 seconds straight so I tried it on the tread mill firsts before I took it outside and even though my time was slower I DID IT! yay!

now I just figured i would run 4 days. The first day of a new week would be on the treadmill to make sure I can do it and then 3 under harder conditions which is outside.

Well see how it goes.

I wish everyone luck!

Hi Jtp, I think your plan sounds like a great idea! I definitely agree that outside is harder than the treadmill so I too am trying to do both so I don't have a huge shock on race day LOL. My goal is to make at least one of the 3 days a week an outside run, more if possible. Good luck!
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi, am I too late?!

I started C25K two weeks ago and finished Week 1 but then I went on holiday. I started back on yesterday and I finished W2D1. I'm also seeing a personal trainer on Tue/Thur and I spin on Tue/Wed. I really need some motivation about running because I really hate it...but I want to complete it because it would be AMAZING to run for 30 minutes straight, regardless of the distance.

I blog my journey so I'll come in and post them on the days I run, is that okay?

So happy to see a support group!

Tiffany
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I am doing mine outside, even though I was embarrassed at first, I just love getting out in the fresh air.

Jayme
    OK, I found you again! With several groups doing this, I am afraid I was all over the place, but this for sure is the right one, lol!

Last night I completed Week 2, Day 1. The first jog portion was tough, but after that I breezed through each one!

Jayme

Sorry about that Jayme. Congrats on finishing Week 2, day 1. Are you doing yours outside or on the treadmill?
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Hi, am I too late?!

I started C25K two weeks ago and finished Week 1 but then I went on holiday. I started back on yesterday and I finished W2D1. I'm also seeing a personal trainer on Tue/Thur and I spin on Tue/Wed. I really need some motivation about running because I really hate it...but I want to complete it because it would be AMAZING to run for 30 minutes straight, regardless of the distance.

I blog my journey so I'll come in and post them on the days I run, is that okay?

So happy to see a support group!

Tiffany

Hi Tiffany, happy to hear that you didn't give up and started back again! And of course it's okay! :)
  • SuzieR
    SuzieR Posts: 127
    Options
    Well, after not starting yesterday because of my blistered foot, I really hesitated starting today as it has been raining and thundering all afternoon ... anyway, eventually decided to just get on with it and went out in the slight drizzle.

I first attempted this a month ago and I could not complete a single 60 sec jog segment. Since then I've lost about 14lb, and almost completed the 30 Day Shred (3 days to go), so I was hoping I would have improved a bit ... and I have! I managed to finish the whole session! I felt like dying at some points, and sometimes those 60sec jogs finished at just the right time, but I pushed through and am so pleased I finished the whole of day 1 :D
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Well, after not starting yesterday because of my blistered foot, I really hesitated starting today as it has been raining and thundering all afternoon ... anyway, eventually decided to just get on with it and went out in the slight drizzle.

I first attempted this a month ago and I could not complete a single 60 sec jog segment. Since then I've lost about 14lb, and almost completed the 30 Day Shred (3 days to go), so I was hoping I would have improved a bit ... and I have! I managed to finish the whole session! I felt like dying at some points, and sometimes those 60sec jogs finished at just the right time, but I pushed through and am so pleased I finished the whole of day 1 :D

I'm so proud of you Suzie! And you're such a trooper for going out in the rain. Woohoo! Day 1 down, Day 2 here we go. I hope the weather cooperates tomorrow so I can run outside.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Here's a good article from an Olympian runner. I know none of us are trying to be Olympians but I thought her tips were really good and could help us with some of our fears about running. It surely inspired me.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Olympian-Kara-Goucher-Top-Running-Tips.htm?cmp=17-7-861

Enjoy!
  • petithamu
    Options
    I just finished W2D2. It was hard...anyone else feel really heavy when they're running? Like gravity is just dragging you down? It could be cuz my TOM is coming soon but I feel really heavy and uncomfortable...and I can't get my breathing into a rhythm...it's really discouraging....
  • SuzieR
    SuzieR Posts: 127
    Options
    Here's a good article from an Olympian runner. I know none of us are trying to be Olympians but I thought her tips were really good and could help us with some of our fears about running. It surely inspired me.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Olympian-Kara-Goucher-Top-Running-Tips.htm?cmp=17-7-861

Enjoy!

That is a great article! Nice tips in there. Thanks for that!
  • catcass1122
    catcass1122 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started TODAY. I'm not terribly out of shape....actually lets re-phrase this; I am terribly out of shape, but not horribly overweight. I'd like to lost 5-10 lbs and really tone up.

I have always enjoyed competitive sports, but despised running! Reading everyone's reviews of this app has motivated me to give it a try. Day 1 wasn't too difficult, but none the less, I felt accomplished.

I'd like to hear if anyone's seen weight loss/toning from week to week with this program. Happy running all!
  • petithamu
    Options

Enjoy!

Thank you for posting this! This is EXACTLY what I needed to read after my run today....so so helpful!
  • muffin111
    muffin111 Posts: 12
    Options
    Week 1 Day 2 done!! I'm doing a 3.5mph walk and 5.5mph jog. I feel like it's getting easier each day and maybe I'll increase my speeds sometime. I am VERY new to this whole running thing, but I LOVE the way running makes my legs feel... I can tell it is working every muscle :D I can't wait to be a true runner one day that can go for LONG distance runs on different trails! What is every one else's mph? Sorry if it was posted above, this thread as sooo many dedicated people and lots of us doing the C25K so I may have missed a post.
  • coggins6170
    Options
    COUNT ME IN TO!!!
    I have been walking consistently for 4 weeks, avg 3-4 miles day. So I think I am ready and Need a new challenage.
    this is my first time joining a group - how does it work???
    :smile:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I just finished W2D2. It was hard...anyone else feel really heavy when they're running? Like gravity is just dragging you down? It could be cuz my TOM is coming soon but I feel really heavy and uncomfortable...and I can't get my breathing into a rhythm...it's really discouraging....

YES! Me too. I just figured it was because I am heavy carrying around this extra 40lbs LOL. Maybe everyone new to running experiences that since your body is not used to it?
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I just started TODAY. I'm not terribly out of shape....actually lets re-phrase this; I am terribly out of shape, but not horribly overweight. I'd like to lost 5-10 lbs and really tone up.

I have always enjoyed competitive sports, but despised running! Reading everyone's reviews of this app has motivated me to give it a try. Day 1 wasn't too difficult, but none the less, I felt accomplished.

I'd like to hear if anyone's seen weight loss/toning from week to week with this program. Happy running all!

I just started the program so too early for me to tell but from what I have read it definitely will help with losing weight and toning. As long as you have the eating part on track, I think you will definitely see results with it.

Oh and that feeling of accomplishment when you finish that first run - BEST FEELING EVER! :smile:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Week 1 Day 2 done!! I'm doing a 3.5mph walk and 5.5mph jog. I feel like it's getting easier each day and maybe I'll increase my speeds sometime. I am VERY new to this whole running thing, but I LOVE the way running makes my legs feel... I can tell it is working every muscle :D I can't wait to be a true runner one day that can go for LONG distance runs on different trails! What is every one else's mph? Sorry if it was posted above, this thread as sooo many dedicated people and lots of us doing the C25K so I may have missed a post.

Thanks for posting your MPH Muffin. I was curious about the speeds people were doing. I posted my W1D1 above but here it is:

"I'm on Week 1, Day 1 so took it light to avoid shin problems. I started walking at 3mph and jogging at 3.5 with a 1% incline. Each time, I steadily increased the speed until I was walking at 3.5 and jogging 4. Highest incline I went to was 1.5. I plan to steadily increase the speed and incline each week. No idea how many miles I did today though because I hit the key thingy on my treadmill which temporarily stopped it and reset everything :(."

I'm so proud of you for doing a 5.5 jog. I was barely holding up with 4mph LOL but I do think it will get easier each week and I can keep increasing the speed. Good job!
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    COUNT ME IN TO!!!
    I have been walking consistently for 4 weeks, avg 3-4 miles day. So I think I am ready and Need a new challenage.
    this is my first time joining a group - how does it work???
    :smile:

Hi there! I've only been on MFP a month and this is my first time starting a "group", but I saw other people starting groups for exercises so I thought I'd give it a try since I know I would be more motivated to do this C25K program if I were accountable to others who were doing it as well. There's no format really. Just check in each week or each day if you like and let us know how things are going, what you struggled with, ask questions, comment, etc. Whatever you like. I'd love to know things like if you are running inside or using a treadmill, what your speeds are and how many miles you completed. I'll post that for myself as well. I think people might be interested in that kind of information. Also, the group is basically just to provide support to each other and cheer us on through this 9 week journey and hopefully to our first 5K.

When are you starting the program? Are you already familiar with it or do you need some information and resources?

Enjoy!
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    My co-worker and I registered today for the race! September 10th, in Toronto, and it looks so cool. It is a nighttime race, and they give you headlamps to wear. It is through a park in the city.

We are getting so much support at the office because our boss has actually ran several full marathons, and really enjoys coaching people when they begin. Which means we are his new project ;-)

He came out with us to check where we were at and made a few adjustments for my program. Mainly that due to my very short stature, I am running quite slow compared to how the program is set up (c25k). Also since I have been walking on another program for nearly 6 weeks, he felt that I should try and move up a bit.

Tonight I completed Week 3, Day 1, and it was fine. The other thing he is tellilng me to do is after the c25k app finishes, to complete the walk to a distance of 5k. So even though the program length was 28 minutes, I was actually out for an hour.

Good luck everyone - I honestly cannot believe that only 6 weeks ago I could barely walk for 20 minutes!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Week 5, day 1 went well. I've been concentrating on my breathing for the last few sessions - on taking deep regular breaths to move the oxygen in and force the carbon dioxide out - and it's beginning to pay off. I'm not getting nearly as winded as I did just a week ago. There's a good article on breathing on the same site as the Olympian runner's article, not that I've been able to use much of the info yet. The section for new runners has been helpful.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Running-and-Breathing-A-Lesson-in-Oxygen-Intake-and-VO2-Max.htm?int=50-4

The other change is that I'm running on the indoor mini track at the gym now, which I avoided earlier because I felt way too exposed up there (it's on a balcony around the perimeter of the weight room). I was afraid everyone would notice when I wimped out before making it all the way around even once. But I'm over that now. It's a little harder on my feet and legs than the treadmill, but it's also a lot closer to the AC vents, and because I keep moving forward, I don't stew in my own self-generated cloud of steam. Soooooo much better.

Muffin, I walked 3.7mph and ran 5.5mph on the treadmill. On the track, not sure, but probably still pretty close to that. Kids fly past me like I'm standing still.