C25K Support Group Starting 6/27

Options

Replies

• OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    @Froggy - Wow 4 miles is awesome! I love seeing how you guys push yourselves beyond the program. It's so inspiring. And I'm glad you figured something out that worked for you to avoid the shin problems.

@Yankee - Congratulations on starting C25K. You are going to amaze yourself over the next couple of weeks. Good luck!

@loverstreet - Great job!!! I'm nervous about the 20 minute run though. Can't wait to hear how you do. I bought a Polar FT4 and I love it. Paid about $89 for it from Walmart online. Most people I see on MFP have a Polar FT4 or FT7. The FT7 is a little more pricey and has a lot more features. If I were to recommend a HRM I would definitely say Polar FT4. What are you looking to spend?

@Jtp - great advice you gave to lover. I needed that. I will try to do the same next week. Thanks for explaining the app/site. Seems pretty cool. Just wish I had a smartphone :(. I probably won't have one until my cell contract expires next year. So with the running group will you still be following the C25K intervals? Your pup is adorable by the way.

@Becky - You're part of the group just for coming and saying hi! I added you to the group list (see link in my signature) too if you want some accountability. Nothing like seeing your "name" on paper right? And this group is AMAZING! Come back and let us know how you did on your first week.

@Olivia - You are going to do just fine on week 3. I felt the same way but they actually aren't that much different and week 3 is a shorter session with less run intervals.

@bellisima - Keep it going! :)

@Keri & Jtp - Glad to hear you got out of the plateau and started losing again!! That gives me hope for myself. :)

@thisismynewmindset - I agree with you 100%. I always started off slow and steady and get a good steady pace going and then I just keep increasing it gradually. I Think going too fast too soon will make you winded too early and more difficult to finish. Remember "slow and steady wins the race".

@Misty - You are making progress and you should be so proud! I'm proud of you. You make me really want that Nike+ thing. So I need an Ipod to use it? That would really suck cuz I don't have one :(.

@kilgore - Girl you have the rest of us eating your dust lol. I'm not sure how many meters are standard tracks.
  • MistyDC29
    MistyDC29 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

@Misty - You are making progress and you should be so proud! I'm proud of you. You make me really want that Nike+ thing. So I need an Ipod to use it? That would really suck cuz I don't have one :(.

Yes, unfortunately it will only work if synced to either iPod Touch, iPhone or iPod nano.

Thanks for the encouragement...it really means a lot! :-)
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I finally finished week 6. I was losing steam but finish the program but this group really helped. I went yesterday and got fitted for my first pair of running sneakers! I have to say I was so excited to run in them today! and they helped my knees SO much. Just walking i feel my knees hurt but I just thought that was apart of life i was a gymnast for ten years and that cause a lot of damage that i thought i was just going to have to live with but im really happy the shoes helped that.

it is going to be 98 degrees here today so i am glad i got the run out of my way. i start with my running group tomorrow and tomorrow is supposed to be hotter so wish me luck and hopefully i wont melt by the end of it. i was going to shoot for 5 miles tomorrow but not in that heat.
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    oh PS everyone is doing great! i love reading were everyone is at and how they felt through it. reading peoples post from weeks 2-3 are nice because i remember at that time i was thinking 'why am i doing this' haha now i know and it feels great and im glad everyone is feeling good too!
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately it will only work if synced to either iPod Touch, iPhone or iPod nano.

Thanks for the encouragement...it really means a lot! :-)

Oh you're very welcome Misty!

Another MFP friend of mine uses Nike+ and told me I wouldn't need an Ipod. I might be going to the store this weekend to check it out and see if it will work for me. Thanks for the recommendation again.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I finally finished week 6. I was losing steam but finish the program but this group really helped. I went yesterday and got fitted for my first pair of running sneakers! I have to say I was so excited to run in them today! and they helped my knees SO much. Just walking i feel my knees hurt but I just thought that was apart of life i was a gymnast for ten years and that cause a lot of damage that i thought i was just going to have to live with but im really happy the shoes helped that.

it is going to be 98 degrees here today so i am glad i got the run out of my way. i start with my running group tomorrow and tomorrow is supposed to be hotter so wish me luck and hopefully i wont melt by the end of it. i was going to shoot for 5 miles tomorrow but not in that heat.

You really make me want to get some running shoes :).

Great job on finishing week 6. I know you had days where you weren't feeling that great and you ran anyway. I'm so proud of you. Good luck with your running group tomorrow!
  • froggy77064
    froggy77064 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    just finished w1d3. I FEEL GREAT!!! looking forward to w2.really pushed it today.was at 2 miles after the last interval.ended up doing 4.8 for the day(per runkeeper).i even did a couple 5min jogging intervals during the rest of my workout just to see how i would do.i was really supprised i was able to do them.this program is excellant.if you would of asked me to jog for 5 minutes a few weeks back.you would have gotten one of the best are you stinkin' crazy looks from me and then you would have to pick me up off the ground from laughing so hard.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    just finished w1d3. I FEEL GREAT!!! looking forward to w2.really pushed it today.was at 2 miles after the last interval.ended up doing 4.8 for the day(per runkeeper).i even did a couple 5min jogging intervals during the rest of my workout just to see how i would do.i was really supprised i was able to do them.this program is excellant.if you would of asked me to jog for 5 minutes a few weeks back.you would have gotten one of the best are you stinkin' crazy looks from me and then you would have to pick me up off the ground from laughing so hard.

I love it froggy!!!! You are doing great! :drinker:
  • JessiGetFit
    Options
    So... I had a day-long headache yesterday which really screwed up my schedule. I've done Week 3, Days 1 & 2, but now I don't really have time to do Day 3. I take the bar exam next Tues/Wednesday (and have to travel all day Monday and Thursday) and, although I am definitely not quitting, I'm going to have to delay finishing Week 3, probably until the week after next. (Immediately after I get back from the bar exam I have a dress fitting and wedding shower for my brother's fiance, and then I'm moving! GAH!)

I know that "I don't have time to workout" is a lame excuse, but I'm honestly very stressed out about the bar andI either feel guilty for taking the time to work out when I should be studying or I feel guilty for not working out... It's a catch-22. So I've made the decision to put the working-out on hold until after the bar to relieve some of the stress...

My question is, since I'm going to be taking a week off, do you guys think that I should start back at Week 3 and repeat it or just do Week 3, Day 3 and move on to Week 4? Any advice would be appreciated!

Hope you are all doing well! :)
  • Wuzzlicious
    Options
    Week 5 is in my past. Yes!

I was a little bit worried about day three what with the twenty-freaking-minute run, but you know what? It was totally easy peasy. Just got in the zone and off I went.

Here's one way that I looked at it - the day before, day two, was sixteen minutes of running - it was just cut into two segments. You're only running a measly FOUR minutes more than you did before. You just don't a break in the middle is all. And you can totally do it.

In bad news, apparently I didn't quite rest my ankle enough because it has puffed right up and been diagnosed this morning with a sprain so I'm banned from running for the next little while. He did indicate that if it starts to feel better I may be able to run again in a week, but I don't know if I'm as optimistic as that doc!

Good luck, all you guys - I know you can do it.
  • loverstreet
    loverstreet Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Week 5 is in my past. Yes!

I was a little bit worried about day three what with the twenty-freaking-minute run, but you know what? It was totally easy peasy. Just got in the zone and off I went.

Here's one way that I looked at it - the day before, day two, was sixteen minutes of running - it was just cut into two segments. You're only running a measly FOUR minutes more than you did before. You just don't a break in the middle is all. And you can totally do it.

In bad news, apparently I didn't quite rest my ankle enough because it has puffed right up and been diagnosed this morning with a sprain so I'm banned from running for the next little while. He did indicate that if it starts to feel better I may be able to run again in a week, but I don't know if I'm as optimistic as that doc!

Good luck, all you guys - I know you can do it.

Guess what Wuzzlicious? I did week 5 day 3 tonight too! I wanted to quit a few times, but I thought "just make it to the next whole minute...just make it to the next 30 secs...etc". In that time, I refocused by breathing, stopped panicking, and made it over the hump. It wasn't easy by any means, but I did it! I have to say I'm quite proud of myself. I'm proud of everyone on this thread!

I know everyone on here can do it, if I can do it! I'm cheering for you!
  • gnoccola
    gnoccola Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Did W4d1 yesterday. I wanted to run today as well, but it is 104 degrees outside and 98 in my garage, where I have the treadmill. No way! I did it yesterday and my heart rate was 156 the whole time, compared to my regular 144 when I run. I guess the heat wasn't appreciated.

Oh, I forgot! I found a 5K to run in September! It is on September 4th on Governor's Island to remember the people who died on 9/11. Every person will have a name on his bib. If anyone wants to participate, here is the link. Registration is opening soon.

http://www.wtcruntoremember.com/
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    So... I had a day-long headache yesterday which really screwed up my schedule. I've done Week 3, Days 1 & 2, but now I don't really have time to do Day 3. I take the bar exam next Tues/Wednesday (and have to travel all day Monday and Thursday) and, although I am definitely not quitting, I'm going to have to delay finishing Week 3, probably until the week after next. (Immediately after I get back from the bar exam I have a dress fitting and wedding shower for my brother's fiance, and then I'm moving! GAH!)

I know that "I don't have time to workout" is a lame excuse, but I'm honestly very stressed out about the bar andI either feel guilty for taking the time to work out when I should be studying or I feel guilty for not working out... It's a catch-22. So I've made the decision to put the working-out on hold until after the bar to relieve some of the stress...

My question is, since I'm going to be taking a week off, do you guys think that I should start back at Week 3 and repeat it or just do Week 3, Day 3 and move on to Week 4? Any advice would be appreciated!

Hope you are all doing well! :)

Hi Jessi, I'm so sorry that you are dealing with so much stress but I'm proud of you for not wanting to give up. I would say do day 3 when you get back and move on to Week 4 and see how you feel. If you struggle with week 4 then just repeat it again until you feel comfortable. Good luck with the Bar exam and I hope you have a great time at the wedding! We'll be right here when you get back.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    @Wuzz, you have definitely given me yet some more hope that there is nothing I need to fear about week 5 which I start next week. But I'm so sorry about your ankle sprain. :( Hope you get better soon.

@Loverstreet - You and Wuzz make me so proud. I feel like a proud mama LOL. You girls rock!

@gnoccola - Yea this heat is something serious. I wanted to run at the park this morning but it got hot so quick that I'm going to have to do the treadmill and just turn up the AC. I think the 5K on governer's island is going to be beautiful and very touching. Thanks for sharing that. I was still living in NY when 9/11 happened and will never forget it.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I know I'm probably siking myself out about week 5 next week. After reading all of your feedback it really gives me hope that I can do it too. But here's what I'm thinking. I was going to do week 5 day 3 on the treadmill first and then do it at the park the next day. I feel like the treadmill will help me get a good pace going and "rehearse" the run first lol. Do you guys think this is a good plan or should I just go for it and I'll be just fine?
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Wuzzlicious and loverstreet, congrats for successfully negotiating the 20 minute hump! I can't say that the last 4 weeks of the program are easy, but for me they've been a lot less scary than week 5

OneBryteSmile, if you think a rehearsal would help. I don't see anything wrong with taking an easier or less frightening option to get over the hump, and of course there's nothing wrong with repeating the run a time or two before you move on. Running on the treadmill has never been the "easy" option for me, though. I hate running on treadmills, but I didn't want to be thwarted by the heat and hills outside either. So I ran week 5, day 3 on the indoor track at the gym. Since then, running out of doors has definitely emerged as my preferred option - heat, hills and all.

Week 9, day 1 is done - 30 minutes - outside, early this morning. One thing I've learned about running in hot weather is that I'm more bothered by the heat during the cool down walk than while I'm actually running. A LOT more bothered. So long as I'm running, I sweat just enough to cool off just enough to be almost comfortable, but as soon as I slow to a walk, I get really hot and the sweat starts pouring out of me. Good thing I'm on a psychological high by then. The run is done and I'm headed back to the AC and a long leisurely shower.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    OneBryteSmile, if you think a rehearsal would help. I don't see anything wrong with taking an easier or less frightening option to get over the hump, and of course there's nothing wrong with repeating the run a time or two before you move on. Running on the treadmill has never been the "easy" option for me, though. I hate running on treadmills, but I didn't want to be thwarted by the heat and hills outside either. So I ran week 5, day 3 on the indoor track at the gym. Since then, running out of doors has definitely emerged as my preferred option - heat, hills and all.

Thanks Kilgore! I do like running outside too and so far this is the first week where all three of my runs were on the treadmill. I am normally able to get to the park for at least 1 run but the heat has been brutal.
    Week 9, day 1 is done - 30 minutes - outside, early this morning. One thing I've learned about running in hot weather is that I'm more bothered by the heat during the cool down walk than while I'm actually running. A LOT more bothered. So long as I'm running, I sweat just enough to cool off just enough to be almost comfortable, but as soon as I slow to a walk, I get really hot and the sweat starts pouring out of me. Good thing I'm on a psychological high by then. The run is done and I'm headed back to the AC and a long leisurely shower.

LOL, this was funny.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Hey guys, today was my last day of week 4. Once again, I tried to push myself. I did the last 8 minute run at 5mph the entire time. For me that was a HUGE deal and I feel pretty damn proud of myself. I could have never done that just 4 weeks ago. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy. I wanted to slow the speed on the treadmill plenty of times. I tried really hard not to look at the time because I think when I look at the time and I see that I still have a long way to go, it frustrates me. I'm like, "why is the timer moving so darn slow when I feel like I've been running forever". So I just tried to get in the zone while I jammed to a Michael Jackson podcast. When Suz came in on the podcast and said "okay now it's time for your cooldown walk", I said "THANK YOU JESUS" LOL. By the time the cooldown walk was over, I was completely pooped. I was up to 1.9 miles but I just kept walking to make it an even 2 pooped or not. It felt great! Now I'm ready for week 5. Excited and nervous at the same time. :smile:
  • ncarmanrn
    ncarmanrn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I completed week 4 on Friday. Wish I had not even peeked at week 5. Yes, like a lot of you it scares me. I plan to start week 5 on Monday, hopefully early enough to miss some of the heat. Wish me luck.

You all are doing great.

I found a 5k here on August 12. It's a midnight run. (Well that's what it is called, but it really is from 10pm until 1130) I'm still debating whether I want to do it. I will no be finished with my training yet but I will be up to the 25 - 28 minute runs by then. I might can do it. I'm just going to see how my first 20 minute run goes, then we'll see.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I completed week 4 on Friday. Wish I had not even peeked at week 5. Yes, like a lot of you it scares me. I plan to start week 5 on Monday, hopefully early enough to miss some of the heat. Wish me luck.

You all are doing great.

I found a 5k here on August 12. It's a midnight run. (Well that's what it is called, but it really is from 10pm until 1130) I'm still debating whether I want to do it. I will no be finished with my training yet but I will be up to the 25 - 28 minute runs by then. I might can do it. I'm just going to see how my first 20 minute run goes, then we'll see.

Great job Carman, I'm starting week 5 with you on Monday. I really need to find a track or something that is open earlier than 8am because it gets too hot already by that time and the park I go to doesn't open until 8am. I'm also waiting to complete week 5 before I register for the 5K I want to do in September. I guess I just need the proof that I can run for 20 minutes before I feel 100% confident that I can run for 30-45 minutes which is what it will probably take me to complete a 5K lol.