C25K Support Group Starting 6/27

Options

Replies

• thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Just checking in!!

I have COMPLETED week #4! I finished it on Friday (but haven't logged in since).

Starting Week #5 today.
  • loverstreet
    loverstreet Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Congrats Tiffany.

I completed week 4 day 3 on Saturday. In week 4, the runs are the same all three days, but for some reason, the last day was much harder for me, and I was more sore afterward. Not sure why.

I am starting week 5 tonight. I am a little worried. I'll just try my best and see what happens. I do not feel like I can call myself a "runner" because I don't LOVE it yet. Some days are easier than others and some runs within the 30 mins are easier than others, and THAT feels good, BUT when it's hard...it feels REALLY hard.

I love that I'm burning calories too, but so far I'm not losing weight with C25K, which has been disappointing. Oh well, I like that I'm getting myself back in shape though!
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    @Keri - I say go for Week 5 and see how you feel. You may just surprise yourself. :)

@Tina - Great job on finishing your second week but I'm so sorry to hear about the back problems. Glad you are taking the time to heal.

Has anyone else had any back problems? Any tips for what could be done to prevent that with this program?

@gnoccola - Very proud of you for completing Week 2 and happy to hear that you are starting to "like" running. Maybe you will love it after the 9 weeks are over LOL.

@Caroline - That is an awesome NSV! Your trail looks really rough but it's a beautiful scenery.

@bellisima6 - Good for you on getting started! I hope you are enjoying the program and good luck to you!

@thisismynewmindset - I need a short nickname for you lol. Congrats on finishing week 4!!!

@loverstreet - YOU ARE A RUNNER! :smile: As far as losing weight, what else are you doing? Do you work out on the other days? Do any strength training? How's your diet?
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Hi my C25K peeps!

I haven't logged in a week and I haven't run in a week. I was on Week 4 last week...there is a reason...hehe...I found out I'm pregnant last week!

I'm totally ecstatic and since it's my first one, I'm freaking out and excited all at the same time! Until I have my first doc appointment, I think it's best if I stop running...I'm sure I'll be fine but I just want to be sure. I'm gutted that I've had to stop since I was psyched when I did my first 5 minute run...but I think this is more important now...

So, keep up the good works and hopefully in a few weeks I'll get the okay and then I can start it back up!

Good luck to everyone!

Tiffany

Tiffany, again congratulations! I'm so excited for you. I think it's a good idea to stop running until you see your doc. I wish you all the best!
  • ncarmanrn
    ncarmanrn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! Congratulations Tiffany! You can always keep walking if you can't run. Just don't stop doing everything. Keep yourself healthy for you and the Baby!!

Finished week 3 on Saturday. Started Week 4 today. I was really worried about the 5 minute runs but I made it. I have learned to slow my pace a little to help my breathing and I don't seem to be giving out so easily.

Everyone keep up the good work.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Tiffany, you are right to be careful. You can definitely exercise but research what is best for you now. I loved swimming when I was pregnant. Hope you have a great 9 months. I was researching 5Ks in my area and think I have found one to do in September if all goes well. This is a testament on my confidence level with running. I think I am slowly getting hooked. Doing my last week 4 tomorrow and going onto 5 on Thursday. I was on the elliptical this morning and can feel the difference the running has made to my fitness. I do auto pilot and my level is just naturally higher than before. Going around the vitual track is much easier as well. Rowing went easier as well. So I will be reporting tomorrow after completing Week 4.
  • loverstreet
    Options
    @loverstreet - YOU ARE A RUNNER! :smile: As far as losing weight, what else are you doing? Do you work out on the other days? Do any strength training? How's your diet?

Except for this past week, I do an additional day of C25K, but otherwise no other work outs. I only did three days last week instead of four. I plan on getting back to doing four days because I think I need it.

My diet isn't perfect, I admit. This week was bad with birthday parties too. However, I think I figured out that I was over estimating how many calories I was burning. I only went by what the treadmill tells me, but I think that's about 75-100 calories too high. I am going to cut back what the treadmill says, which is a total bummer. I feel like I earned a lot more calories than that when I'm done running!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Except for this past week, I do an additional day of C25K, but otherwise no other work outs. I only did three days last week instead of four. I plan on getting back to doing four days because I think I need it.

My diet isn't perfect, I admit. This week was bad with birthday parties too. However, I think I figured out that I was over estimating how many calories I was burning. I only went by what the treadmill tells me, but I think that's about 75-100 calories too high. I am going to cut back what the treadmill says, which is a total bummer. I feel like I earned a lot more calories than that when I'm done running!

This might be an even bigger bummer, but what you may need to do now is get serious about strength training. It has made all the difference for me. I wasn't getting close to the rate of weight loss predicted by MFP so long as I tried to do it all with varying degrees of calorie restriction and ever longer sessions of cardio. I cut back on cardio, added strength training to the mix, and bingo.

That said, my weight loss has been unpredictable, to say the least, since my switch to C25K as my primary cardio. The average over several weeks hasn't changed a lot and is actually a little higher than predicted, but the weekly weigh-in numbers are all over the place. I'm assuming it has something to do with water retention and the increased glycogen storage my muscles need to cope with the new demands I've placed on them
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Started week 4 today. I couldn't wait to come here and tell you guys about it. I don't know what got into me today but I felt great, maybe better than I've felt during any other ones. I'm going to attribute it to the Michael Jackson podcast or maybe it was just a good day. I normally try to get my runs out of the way in the morning but with very little sleep last night I had no energy this morning so waited until after work. I'm so glad I listened to my body because I felt much better in the evening. I was running and singing and dancing to Michael lol. Even did an extra run interval at the end because I was so pumped. The session ended with me doing about 1.8 miles so I jogged the rest of the way until I hit 2 miles. Then I did 50 push-ups. :happy:

Felt AWESOME!
  • Leafeh
    Leafeh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty bad.. I skipped week 4 last week (well except D1) cause of being busy and bad weather, and it's not even a legit excuse. but I re-did w4D1 today and I'm going to do it this week instead!
  • Finding_Tina
    Finding_Tina Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Started week 4 today. I couldn't wait to come here and tell you guys about it. I don't know what got into me today but I felt great, maybe better than I've felt during any other ones. I'm going to attribute it to the Michael Jackson podcast or maybe it was just a good day. I normally try to get my runs out of the way in the morning but with very little sleep last night I had no energy this morning so waited until after work. I'm so glad I listened to my body because I felt much better in the evening. I was running and singing and dancing to Michael lol. Even did an extra run interval at the end because I was so pumped. The session ended with me doing about 1.8 miles so I jogged the rest of the way until I hit 2 miles. Then I did 50 push-ups. :happy:

Felt AWESOME

HOW fabulous!!!! Totally impressed by the extra run interval! Congrats!!

My chiropractor is discouraging running, I have seen her the almost every day since Wednesday.. so am unsure if I should take a week off?? I was actually starting to enjoy it, right till I got hurt :(
  • loverstreet
    Options
    Congrats OneBryteSmile!

@lilkilgore - what kind of strength training are you doing? I've tried the pushup and situp challenges but have given them up for whatever lame reason.

So...this non-runner just completed week 5 day 1! Yes, I did! I'm sweating my a@@ off as I type this because I couldn't wait to tell everyone! It was three 5 minute runs with 3 minute walks in between. And after a rough week 4 day 3 on Saturday, I was a little worried about today, but it wasn't bad at all! I might repeat it again tomorrow before I have to do the 8 minute run for day 2.

Happy running everyone, from your non-running C25K participant!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    @lilkilgore - what kind of strength training are you doing? I've tried the pushup and situp challenges but have given them up for whatever lame reason.

Whatever lame reason... yeah, I know how that goes. For the time being I'm working out on the resistance machines at the gym (Nautilus, the ones with the cams) because I COULD NOT motivate myself to stick to any sort of strength training program at home. I'm convinced that strength training is at least as important as cardio if you want to look good and feel good and keep the pounds melting off, but it ain't no fun.
  • gnoccola
    gnoccola Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Started week 3 today. It was so smooth that added an extra 6 minutes of running at the end. I may consider skipping to week 4.
    Today it was a big change for me. First of all I got a treadmill, which is great. No more excuses and no babysitter needed. Then, I bought serious running shoes. The pain on my shins that followed me incessantly for the past 2 weeks is almost gone. I think the posture I had with my old shoes was a big part in my shin splints. After a lot of research, I decided to give the good shoes a try.
    Here the best part. I researched running shoes online for a few hours, until I knew all brands and models, with pro and cons. Then I started from the running stores, following big sport stores. I found a few models I liked and found myself particularly comfortable with. Since they were all over 100 dollars, I decided to wait and kept walking. On my way to work I saw Century21 (If you live in NY, go get your running shoes now!), I got in and started to walk lazily through the isles. When I reached the snickers department I didn't have great expectations. But, I saw the same shoes I loved at the running store for $54. And wait, it got even better. They had all the colors, so I could pick my favorite and, once I got to the register, I found out that there was an extra discount, and I ended up paying only $33 for my beautiful and super comfy new shoes. What a great day! I also burned 900 calories.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    @carman - I also started week 4 yesterday! I slow my pace in the beginning and what I have been trying to do is increase it .1 at a time each 30sec-60seconds. I hate feeling completely winded at the beginning because then it makes it so much harder to finish. I'd rather pace myself then gun it for the laste minute or 30 seconds. Congrats on finishing the session!

@Keri - I'm so happy to hear that you are considering a 5K. I'm also looking to do one in September but haven't registered just yet. I think I'll have a little more confidence after I complete week 5. That week seems to be the big jump and if I can do week 5 day 3, then I think I can make it to the end. :)

@Loverstreet - I know a lot of people do extra running days. I personally don't. I have been trying to follow the program as it is set up with non-consecutive days. However, I do workout three other days of the week when I don't run because I go to a workout bootcamp where I get a LOT of my strength training. Strength training is important to help you tone and burn more fat. I definitely think incorporating some strength training into your routine would help. I have dumbells at home (3lb, 5lb, 8lb and will be getting some 10lb) and I also have a resistance band. These are great for upper body strength training. You can also do calisthenics (squats, lunges, etc). I hate pushups but I try to do them every day. A lot of MFPers love Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. It's only about $7 at Walmart. You could use that to get started and learn some good strength training exercises. C25K will get you your cardio but cardio alone is not enough. For calories burned I use a HRM with a chest strap which is more accurate. It was telling me that I was burning twice as much as what the treadmill said. I don't eat my exercise calories back unless I'm hungry and I need more food but you have to try different things until you find something that works for you. Also keep in mind that diet is 80% of this journey and exercise is only 20%. No matter how much you exercise, if you don't eat healthy and create that calorie deficit (burn more calories than you consume), you will not lose weight. Work on your diet, add some strength training and trust me the results will come.

@Leafeh - I'm just happy you came back and re did it and didn't stop for good!!!

@Tina - Thank you!!! If I were you, I'd listen to the doc though. I'm so sorry hun but they are the expert (in most cases anyway lol). How about just walking for a bit that way you still get some cardio in without putting any stress on your back?

@gnoccola - Wow I'm so proud of you for that extra 6 minutes and holy cow - 900 calories!!!! That is awesome! And congrats on getting a treadmill. It was one of the best investments I ever made. Also good thing you got those shoes. I sure wish I still lived in NY because I would definitely be hitting up that store today. What a great price you got. I've heard the running shoes really make a difference.
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have had a few bumps in the road but plan on starting week 6 tomorrow.

BUT someone just did a post about this and i tried it out and it looks awesome and it is free! its sports-tracker.com it looks like fun because we can all be friends on there and see each others runs and status. I just joined i am going to test it out soon. Ill post again reviewing it and if i like it i invite you all to be my friend on there!
  • MistyDC29
    MistyDC29 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just blogged about my experience with C25K so far.

http://thechaffins.blogspot.com/2011/07/couch-to-5k.html
  • loverstreet
    Options
    I was thinking of re-doing week 5 day 1 tonight, but I am going to take a rest day instead. I have a muscle or tendon in my butt that is pulled and I'm limping around a little today. It feels like sciatica but not as bad.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I know I need to do more exercise and sounds like I need strength training too. However, since I didn't ever too much exercise before C25K, I'm pretty proud of myself for this little bit I am doing. THIS is already a big change for me. Keep in mind I work full time and have two small kids, so ANY exercise time to myself is hard to come by. I can do C25K because I have a treadmill in my basement and the kids can play while I'm on the treadmill. Maybe I'll look at the 30 day shred...
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    @thisismynewmindset - I need a short nickname for you lol. Congrats on finishing week 4!!!

Some people on here call me "Legs" because of my profile pic and my ticker...
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Week 7 day 1 complete.