WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY

Options

Replies

• bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Ladies,
    Looks like I have been lurking with SuzyQ. :bigsmile: Lots going on but not much to say, But I have been keeping up with everyone and sending hugs and encurragement out to you all.

Friday on his way home my DF was in an accident and was lucky to get by with just 6 stiches in his left leg. His pants were soaked in blood and his motorcycle will more then likely be totaled when the adjuster looks at it. It is so lucky but still sad especially since he has only been able to ride it a few times this year because of the rain. hopefully the insurance agency will not drag this out all summer. There is nothing crabbier then a Biker without a Bike. I know - I am unbearable when I can't ride. :blushing:
    He is taking a few days off from work to let the swelling go down. He has to be on his feet quite a bit.

On Saturday my best friend from Jr High called, her mom is dying. I ache so much for her. Her family has had a lot of rocky times but her heart is breaking. Her mom was never very supportive. Chicklet her mom sounds much like yours. She was always a good and loyal daughter and took alot of verbal abuse from both her mom and her siblings now I'm afraid that once her mom goes then she will sever all ties with her family and then she will have nothing further to do with any of them. It will be for the best for her but it still is so sad for her to be so alone with her memories.

This week we are in triple digits temp wise and will remain there until Thurs or friday. The humidity and the bugs are unbearable. The good news is the veggies love it. I was in the garden for a bit yesterday but needed to beat a hasty retreat as I was melting as fast as the wicked witch.

On a very personal note , I am very excited... Tomorrow I will be going to the Dr for my yearly. My first sice losing over 100 pounds. I am SO excited to see my Dr's reaction. I went shopping on Sunday and tried on a pair of 10 pants and was so pleased that they fit comfortably. I thought I might have to lose a bit more to fit into them but that was not the case. I NEVER thought I would see a size 10 in my closet. I think it's been 30 years since I wore a 10 and I don't ever remember wearing anything smaller.

Anyway better run, I still need to inventory the beer and get my orders in. My thoughts and prayers are going out to all of you. I lean on you all even when I am not posting.
    Peggy
  • GentlyLosing
    GentlyLosing Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies of a Certain Age :smile: ,
    This is my first day on MFP and I am glad that I found this group so quickly. I have enjoyed reading the postings and hope to add my own thoughts/encouragement/support soon. But for now, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

Cathy
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Bkrbabe57--Sorry to hear about the bike accident. Hope all is fine now. I see you ride too. Congratulations, I have my endorsement, but have always been to chicken to get myself out there. Weight has been a big issue. I will admit that I am too embarrassed to think of what others think about what I look like on a bike. I am definitely not the typical poster child for Bikers. LOL I am working on it though.

I do hope things work out ok with the adjuster and he gets back to riding soon. I may be on the back of a bike, but I would miss it too much to not be out there somehow.

Take care,
    Denise
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Welcome cathy!!:flowerforyou:
    peggy sorry to hear about the accident,so glad it wasn`t anything more serious.
    Trying to stay cool with temps in the 90`s.
    jane
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    chicklet - I have the dumbell all ready...just waiting for the pool...lol Thanks for the link. I also have the weight belt, same thing...waiting for the pool...lol.

Yes, I use the prune puree 1:1 for the oil in the cake.

Good luck at the management office!

Well, I did a 50 min DVD of Tracy Long Longevity Step. I really don't like that video, I think I'll take it to Play It Again Sports and sell it to them. The workout is good, but there were many times when she's say "three more" and I'd think "three more of WHAT?" You would think the previous thing, but that wasn't always the case.

doobiedoo- good for you going past the 10 minutes! That's the way to go! Before you know it, you'll be doing 30 minutes, and then an hour

I made some crab stuffed mushrooms to take with me to bunco tonight. I wonder if you can freeze them? If there's at least one left over (and I'm sure there will be), I think I'll try freezing it and seeing what happens. Don't know if the mushroom will get "mushy" or not. Steamed the rest of the mushrooms so I'll have those.

Susan - congrats on your hubby starting a new job!

Tomorrow should be an interesting day. One lady who was in our crochet class passed away and her funeral is Wed. at 11. Then I need to change for bowling at 1. That'll be a lot of rushing around. Have to figure out how I can accomplish everything. I really should go to the funeral, I may leave the mass early, tho.

Sissy - since you had a partial knee replacement, please tell me more about it. How long was the recovery as compared to the full knee replacement? Was there as much pain? Vince will eventually need knee replacement, and the MD recommended partial knee replacement. What was your experience like? This is the first time I'd even heard of a partial knee replacement.

Well, I went to mahjongg today, and I'm glad that I did. I usually don't go on Tuesdays since it's so late. However, I found out that it won't be there any more on Fridays but at Oliver's Landing. That place is just so far from me, there is no way I can get there in time. Well...if I really wanted to I could, but I feel like this Olivers Landing place is being pushed down my throat. So, change of exercise plans, I'll do the weight DVD that I was planning to do Fri tomorrow and go to water aerobics Friday. Actually, this will somewhat work out for me because I can get dressed for the funeral and not have to rush. I won't get out of the water aerobics Fri. until about 10:00 and then I'll probably do some food shopping. I did maj three times today, tho. Guess I need to go away more often....lol

Denise - the more the merrier. Tell us more about yourself. We're not closed to ANYONE at all.

Peggy - how scary for your DF! Glad to hear he's OK. Congrats on the size 10, you deserve it!

Hey Cathy. Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Making my crab stuffed mushroom appetizer for bunco and then off I go.

Have a great evening everyone.

Michele
  • luv2laf1
    luv2laf1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am new to this group and could use some friends. I am a 55 yr old nurse still working with one child leaving for college in the fall and one at home. I am trying to find something I can stick with and this database is great for searching foods. I have some challenges but I really want to lose this waist!!!!! If anyone would like to be friends, I would love it!:smile::smile: :smile: :smile:
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Hospitals have LOTS of questions!!! I spent a good portion of today talking to doctors and scheduling this that and the other thing. Need pre op blood tests, and a pre op interview (30 min) over the phone with the hospital... wow.
    I am going to play maj jong tonight... with pills for pain in hand.
    ANYONE TAKEN VICODIN for pain?
    Natalie
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies

I've been MIA I'm afraid. DH's father is deteriorating fast and is being moved to a hospice today. DH and I are trying to get to see him when we can, but it's a four hour round trip each time. I've also been working up in Bond Street a couple of days, again tomorrow. All a bit crazy.

Add to that the twins are being christened this Sunday and I'm organising all the after service reception .... well, you get the idea .... I'm a bit busy!

Haven't had a chance to read the posts but I will try to catch up when I get the time. Know that I am thinking of you all and sending you good thoughts and wishes.

Love
    Amanda x
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Just a quick Good Morning before I begin my work day! Still on track and plan to stay there! I was using Tools last night and found out that my BMI says I am "Obese"...... UGH I hate that word!!!! So my next mini-goal is to get out of that category to the "Overweight" category! I know I'm overweight.... but the world obese really bothers me. So I need to lose 2.5 more lbs. to get into the overweight section.

I'll be going out of town tomorrow morning for a few days to visit my son. Can't tell you how excited I am! He's 22 and goes to college in a town about 2 hours away. Because he also has a job down there, I rarely see him anymore because he's either too busy with college or working. He's my only child and it breaks my heart that I don't even have him home on breaks or during the summer anymore. But children grow up, don't they!

Anyway, I won't be online much during my visit. I plan to FAITHFULLY continue to track on paper my meals, exercise, etc. and log it all when I return. I am going to TRY my best to stay on track! I certainly don't want to undo the progress I've made in the past week.

So I hope every has a great day and a great next few days! Keep up the good work everyone! We're all in this together. See you when I get back!
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome guys. You asked for a little about me...not much to tell. I have 2 grown girls, my husband has 2 grown boys. We have 2 grandkids, one girl 12 and one boy 7. We live in Ohio..and right now it is too hot to enjoy!

At this time, I don't work. I am not complaining about that at all. We have a Harley that we do a lot of riding in the summer so it is good to be available when he has off of work.

I found MFP through my step-son. He found it and I was looking at his stuff and decided this is what I need. I need support and motivation. Someone to be accountable to besides myself. This way I can't cheat...well I can, but I feel bad when I don't log everything.

I decided last summer when I hit my all time high weight (for a second time) that I needed to get rid of it once and for all. I lost the first 15 lbs and just sat there until this simmer. I knew I had to get back at it seriously. I have lost another 15 lbs but not anywhere near my goal yet. Since I started MFP I have lost 6.5 lbs and I am really grateful to the new friends I have found. It really keeps me motivated and that is my biggest problem. If I don't have to answer to anyone but myself I always find an excuse to not do something. I am really trying to change my eating habits and my exercise habits, instead of trying a "diet" No more diets for me!

I am looking forward to chatting with all of you and being there when someone needs it. I know I am not afraid anymore to admit that I need help.

Good Morning my new friends, make it a beautiful day!
    Denise
  • BarbieCat1
    BarbieCat1 Posts: 82
    Options
    Hi all. I'm just trying to catch up and read... it's been a hectic summer so far and while I have a respite from visitors and obligations for 10 days, we're going sailing the first week of Aug which will be fun, but a challenge for my diet as my food choices will be limited. I'm taking some protein bars and what fresh fruit will not spoil, such as apples. We've sailed on this boat before.. the food served by the galley will be good, but heavy on starches. There will be salads and veggies, thank goodness.

The beauty of the low carb diet I'm successfully following is... there is almost no hunger or cravings. I had followed the usual diet programs in the past which emphasized just eating fewer calories and less fat, but suffered, finding it so very hard to just eat less when I was hungry with carb cravings all the time. My hubby used to eat boxes of crackers, chips and cereal as snacks. No longer. His new snack food? A nice big dill pickle. I will have a handful of nuts now and then. We're both losing slowly but steadily.

Speaking of nuts, You all might find this article I found on the NPR website interesting. It's based on a huge study of people's eating habits as related to their weight. Certain foods are associated with excess weight.... others, with slimness. The worse offender? Potatoes, particularly fried, such as chips and french fries. Nuts on the other hand, are associated with people who are slim. Interesting, no?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/06/23/137362885/to-keep-off-pounds-pass-the-nuts-hold-the-chips?sc=nl&cc=es-20110626

To all who are struggling... my heart goes out to you.

To those who are new to My Fitness Pal and this group... welcome. You'll find the support, hints and camaraderie useful and friendly.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I am still here lurking too. I am in a terrible rut and just can't seem to break out of it. I am hoping that when I start my new job in a week that I will get back to being healthy again. Right now I do great all day at work and even when I first get home but then it all falls apart. I don't feel like exersizing and then I don't want dinner and then I end up eating crap right before bed. Bad cycle and I must break it.

Any way just wanted you all to know I am still here.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone I'm back :laugh: Thanks for all your good wishes :heart:

Sooo relieved that I am back home. I feel quite sore and achey but otherwise well. I have to go back next Thursday to have the wound looked at and I should get the results from the biopsy that there' no cancer cells, so please cross your fingers for me that everything is okay.

I'm off work now for a week at least, so should have plenty of time to catch up with you all. I must admit the anaesthetic made me very drowsy and not with it yesterday. They woke me up about 10:45 a.m. after surgery and it took a while for me to be able to focus and get my wits back, then I was taken to the day ward where I dozed watch a bit of tv and dozed again. Had a lovely cup of tea (first one for nearly 14 hrs!) my throat was very sore and dry and I had a sexy husky voice :bigsmile: trouble is I was hanging around until nearly 5pm before I was discharged to go home. I'd been there since 7:30 a.m. lots of hanging about and answering the same questions, but I suppose it's to keep us safe and I did feel very looked after.

:flowerforyou: Welcome all newcomers I hope to get to know you better, I've got quite a few pages of posts to catch up on.

Now I know I've said this before (and no doubt say it again!) BUT I really must try harder, I need to log my food every day. I have a wedding anniversary to go to in September and I need to get a nice outfit to go in. I tried some dresses on when I met up with friends in town on Monday and I looked hideous, I kid you not, I was not a pretty sight. While I am off work I am going to try and plan food in advance for the week. Work out the calories beforehand so I am not going over. I'll also try and check in every day, you are all such an inspiration and give out good advice.

Take care, and to those who are having health problems I send you my best wishes.

Bye for now
    Viv xx
  • annvey
    annvey Posts: 30
    Options
    @barbiecat: I agree with the low/no carb diet. I posted about a week ago my daily low/no carb diet, which is the only way I can lose weight. Lost 22 lbs. in 3.5 months. Thanks for posting the "Keep Off Pounds" article.
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    I took the VICODEN last night, ONE at 11 and ONE at 3 am, I actually got a WHOLE NIGHTS SLEEP!!!
    The problem i am going to have is when I have to stop the Celebrex on Friday morning...
    I can only take TYLENOL and I guess you are only allowed 4000 mg a day.. the VICODIN has 500 mg of tylenol in each capsule plus the narcotic hydrocone....
    Any ideas??
    Scale is stil the same..
    Natalie
  • colleenannboyd
    colleenannboyd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love the quote. We should carry that around with us at all times, especially when facing that fattening treat.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    rjadams,sorry you are in a rut.
    Natalie,glad you got some sleep.
    We have heat index`s again.Stay cool if you are in the region.
    have a great day
    HUGS~~
    jane
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Didn't do something right..... tried to comment on someone's post.... didn't work. :-( I'm guessing now that you can't do that.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Changed the surgery for TKR (knee) to Aug 4. It was scheduled for Aug 11. The sooner I get it done, the better off I am goign to be.
    I am SCARED, but I need to do this, the pain that I have now is unbearable.
    I have maintained my weight, but expect to lose weight after surgery and rehab... guess the pain pills just make u not want to eat..
    Natalie

Congrats on the decision to have the TKR, Natalie. I had both knees done at the same time in 2003 and have not regreted it once. As a matter of fact, I would do it tomorrow if I had to. It has changed my quality of life dramatically. They no longer keep me awake, they don't hurt, and I wore almost 4 inch wedge heels all day yesterday and had no problem. And as Sissy said, do everything that your therapist tells you to do...even the exercises twice a day. You will thank them for it later. Don't forget that you will need to eat properly in order to heal...so get that protein into yourself.

Pam
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I took the VICODEN last night, ONE at 11 and ONE at 3 am, I actually got a WHOLE NIGHTS SLEEP!!!
    The problem i am going to have is when I have to stop the Celebrex on Friday morning...
    I can only take TYLENOL and I guess you are only allowed 4000 mg a day.. the VICODIN has 500 mg of tylenol in each capsule plus the narcotic hydrocone....
    Any ideas??
    Scale is stil the same..
    Natalie

I used ice packs alot when I was off my celebrex and getting ready for surgery. I worked up until the day before surgery, so it was tough.

Pam