Like Minded Lushes July 2011

Options

Replies

• Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    Who out there among thou hast sampled a perfect Long Island Ice (or Iced) Tea? I am always avast for a good one, yet have been sorely disappointed for the most part.

The first sign that it's not going to be good is when it is served in a small glass; in my experience the only good LIIT is served in a LARGE glass or mug, one that holds plenty of ice in addition to the fixins.

I think the closest to LIIT nirvana that I have achieved was at Grandma's Sports Garden in Duluth, Minnesota, USA. During certain happy hours they serve $4 *pitchers* - yes, I said pitchers - of Teas. And these are probably 1 1/2 quart pitchers. On one occasion - after a hockey tournament for one of my children - I had two of these before we headed home. I was NOT driving. I could not drive; or at least, it would have been a disaster waiting to happen. But they were mighty delish!
    I have been told I make a great long Island. I serve it in a pounder glass for $4.50.... Not sure OLCC would approve of pictures! I think what makes mine different than the others is that I use a tad more sour and just a splash of coke. It seams to cover the overwhenlming amount of liquor and blends the flavor together better. P.S. lots of bars use a premixed LI which REALLY sucks!
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a LIIT in years..but they're yummy!!
    Just poured myself a vodka /soda. I pre-logged 2 of them. Lets see if I can stick to just that. :drinker:
    TGIF everyone!!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Love LIIT. McCormicks makes them buy squeezing limes, lemons and oranges fresh into the glass for the sour. so tasty. And I agree that it has to be a big one other wise you know they used mix and it sucks.
  • faithikins
    faithikins Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Uber excited. Getting all my housework done then it's drinkies time! :drinker: :drinker:
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Oh thank goodness I stumbled across this thread...for a moment there after perusing this wonderful site, I thought I may be the only person who wasn't willing to sacrifice my "dessert" :blushing: Is there a way to bookmark specific threads in this forum?
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Eating mexican crockpot chicken (a recipe I got on this site--yum!) and just have to have margaritas with mexican food!!!!
    Love the low cal mix I found recently, 0 cal and then only tequila calories :drinker:
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Oh thank goodness I stumbled across this thread...for a moment there after perusing this wonderful site, I thought I may be the only person who wasn't willing to sacrifice my "dessert" :blushing: Is there a way to bookmark specific threads in this forum?
    go to community...then go to "my topics"... your posts and threads should show up for you to revisit
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Eating mexican crockpot chicken (a recipe I got on this site--yum!)
    you gunna make me search for that? sounds yummy!!
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Eating mexican crockpot chicken (a recipe I got on this site--yum!)
    you gunna make me search for that? sounds yummy!!

basically shred some chicken breast, put it in a crock pot with 1 jar salsa, 1 can rotel, 1 block fat free cream cheese, ( i left out the corn), 1 can black beans-drained. I put it in a soft taco shell with cheese sprinkled on top for kiddos, ate mine with lettuce, cheese & ff sour cream. YUM YUM YUM!
  • faithikins
    Options
    Do you deliver? Getting my drink on! :drinker:
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    I cook flank steak or pork in the crockpot for a similar recipe but the only thing i add to it is spices, veggies, and a bit of olive oil
    it basically turns out like shredded beef/pork: soooo tender and yummy! It's a winner every time :)

cut up red/green or any bell pepper into large chunks.
    do the same with a red or sweet onion.
    add one diced(seeded if you don't like it too hot) jalapeño...or if you prefer add red chile flakes..to taste.
    add chile powder, cumin, and i use grill seasoning as well..but salt and pepper works (I don't measure...maybe 2 tablespoons chile powder? one cumin? one grill seasoning?)
    drizzle all veggies with olive oli and mix. then add flank steak or pork and coat as well..putting some veggies on bottom and some on top. add more seasoning if you have a large amount of meat.
    put crock pot on 6-8 hrs depending on amount of meat.
    foolproof every time. I prefer the flank steak.
    when i've done it with chicken it seems dry to me. i may have to try it again.
  • faithikins
    Options
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Monday, 0
    Tuesday, 0
    Wednesday, 12 oz of wine (2.5 ish)
    Thursday, 5 Sam Adams @ Champps
    Friday, 12 carefully measured oz (2.5 ish)

Total: 10 total
  • rjadams
    Options
    so I just saw an ad for Cyrstal light mocktails. they have margarita, mojito and appletini. has anyone tried any of them.? I am falling down on my lushiness. I have left two unfinished bottle of red wine the last couple of days. That is really sad and bordering on alcohol abuse. I need to do better:devil:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    so I just saw an ad for Cyrstal light mocktails. they have margarita, mojito and appletini. has anyone tried any of them.? I am falling down on my lushiness. I have left two unfinished bottle of red wine the last couple of days. That is really sad and bordering on alcohol abuse. I need to do better:devil:

I've tried the mojito flavored one and really like it!
  • rjadams
    Options
    I just want to take a moment and brag about my baby girl. (Okay she is 25 but she will always be my baby). She just bought a house all on her own. I guess she is staying in MN for a while. Some of you may recall that she moved there last fall from Vegas. She survived her first winter and has decided to stay. anyway I am so proud of her and her accomplishments as a single young woman.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Robin, I can't believe she decided to stay after that winter. It was probably one of the worst since I've moved here. LOL
  • cmr1977
    cmr1977 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi, found this thread yesterday, and having just come back from the pub, thought I would say Hi!! Had a couple of pints of a lovely locally brewed ale, Brisons, hmmm lovely!!

Shouldn't be having any drinkies as am on antibiotics to try and get my skin sorted, but it's Saturday night!!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Cx
  • rjadams
    Options
    Today is the last day for drinking for a while. I will aim for nothing M-F We will see how it goes. had a lovely bottel of chardonnay last night.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Monday, 0
    Tuesday, 0
    Wednesday, 12 oz of wine (2.5 ish)
    Thursday, 5 Sam Adams @ Champps
    Friday, 12 carefully measured oz (2.5 ish)
    Saturday, more mine...maybe 4ish...didn't measure at the restaurant
    Sunday, 0

Total: 14 total

That will be it for the week since I have weigh-in on Wednesday. Much better than last week I must say.