CW: 152.8
    GW: 150
    OWLs: 50
    NEWTs: 30
    HPs: 572
  • jls1661
    jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Question about the OWLs. For the woodchops, do we only count if we chop straight up and down. I had these last week in another challenge that did straight up and down, and side to side so I just kept doing it that way for variety. Was just making I was counting right.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Question about the OWLs. For the woodchops, do we only count if we chop straight up and down. I had these last week in another challenge that did straight up and down, and side to side so I just kept doing it that way for variety. Was just making I was counting right.

If you like doing it both ways, I'm ok with that. Just count each rep as either all the way up and down or all the way from one side to the other equals one rep. Does that make sense?
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    CW: 152.8
    GW: 150
    OWLs: 50
    NEWTs: 30
    HPs: 572

I'm gonna start reminding you to check in sooner :) You just miss the cut for the chart here the last few weeks! I have your info, but it'll be on next week's chart.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    PREFECT TIME:

Before I announce Prefects, I want to again ask for suggestions of any NEWT (food) challenges that you liked or didn't like, or new ones you'd like to try!

Prefects this week are:

Missb92 (% lost) and Kelsue35 (HP)! Great work, ladies!

Take your badges (remember to change the IMG to img when you paste this into your signature):

316180_581934039153_179201885_32311725_821292401_n.jpg

You all did great as usual, too! Let's all step it up and finish Week 2 (Woodchops and Seasonal Recipes) strong! (Week 2 ends after you check in between 10/14 and 10/17)

Here's the chart:

314589_586325803023_179201885_32347341_734151706_n.jpg
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    WEEK 3 OWLs & NEWTs!
    (These don't start until after check-ins between 10/14 and 10/17! I'm posting so you can plan ahead! Keep working on the Week 2 challenges until after you check in this weekend!)

(Starting after check-in between 10/14-10/17
    and ending with check-in between 10/21-10/24)

***JUST A REMINDER! I'm going to be posting the next week's challenges on Wednesdays. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO START THESE CHALLENGES UNTIL AFTER YOU CHECK IN ON THE ABOVE DATES!

OWL (exercise): Squat Kicks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSu-wci9uTo
    Each rep includes one right kick and one left kick. Each rep earns you 1 OWL. Rack 'em up, Gryffs!

NEWT (food): We're going back to basics. Let's refresh our memories about water. I'm going to challenge you to drink AT LEAST 8 cups a day. If you have a goal that works for you that's higher than 8 cups, I challenge you to post your water goal for the week with your Week 2 check-ins, so we can help motivate you! Either way, you earn 5 NEWTs for every day you meet or exceed your water goal, for a possible total of 35 NEWTs for the week.

***Remember to double check the dates for this challenge! Don't start early and lessen your progress for the current week!

Here is the blog where you can see all the weekly challenges for October:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bronwenhilary/view/gryffindor-october-owls-newts-153770

Good luck, guys! Try to push yourself a little harder than you did last week so we can kick some butt!
  • tbelivea
    tbelivea Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey Bronwen,

A possible future NEWT suggestion? Keep Sodium under 2000mgs a day! I think this is one area we could all improve on :P

Thanks for all your hard work :D
  • lojoend
    lojoend Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Check in day!!!!

Weight - 184.3 - not much of a loss but I'll take it!!! :)
    Owls - 0
    Newts - 0
    HP - 400
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    weigh-in

no weight change
    Owls 20
    Newts 10
    HP 60
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Gotta earn a couple NEWTS this week so...

Here is a recipe I have in my crock pot right now. It is my friend, Sylvia's, Tuscan Bean soup. I doubled the recipe and made a few changes. I'll put my changes out to the side. I have had this before and it is delicious!!

Ingredients:

8 oz. Italian sausage (preferably spicy) (Used Bob Evan's, it was lower in calories and fat)
    3 (16 oz.) cans of low-sodium chicken broth (Used fat free, 33% less sodium)
    1 (28 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
    1/2 teaspoon salt (Left out)
    1/4 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper (Used plain old black pepper)
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 cup uncooked rice (Brown rice)
    1 (15-1/2 oz.) can of Great Northern or pinto beans, drained and rinsed (used 1 1/4 dry white beans but that was with doubling recipe, will need to increase cooking time greatly until beans are done)

(I added 4 cups water since I was using dry beans and brown rice, again this is the doubled amounts)

Preparation:

Brown sausage in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan over medium high heat for about 6 minutes, then drain fat. Stir in broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper and oregano; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and beans. Cover and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked. Serve immediately -- it's good with Italian bread.

If my calculations are right a one cup serving has 136 calories, 18 carbs, 5 fat, 8 protein, 526 sodium.
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    posting recipes for newts this week... here is one that i am making today

crock pot beef stew:
    serving size: 1 bowl
    cal: 235
    carbs: 11g
    fat: 7g
    protein: 21g
    sodium: 581mg

i used surfine stew veggies
    stew beef cubes
    surfine beef stew seasoning

brown meat add 3 cups water and season mix bring to boil
    throw veggies in crock pot and add beef/season mixture
    cook on high for 3 hours
  • Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    checking in, no weight change here, but tomorrow is a day full of walking, looking forward to it :)
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hope you guys are doing grrreat ;)

Check in:

CW: 153.2 (I didnt binge this weekend..YAY!)
    GW Oct 31st: 150
    OWLS: 0
    NEWTS: 5
    HP: 140
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    st (8-1) w 33 h 35 b 37
    10/1 goal: w 28/30 h 30/32 b 34/36
    10/31 goal: same as 10/1 but with my booty being what it is now. if i hit my goal before 10/31 i think i will just start trying to burn a certain number of calories if that is ok.

8-8 to 8-22 same as start
    8-29 w 32 h 35 b 361/2
    9-4 w 311/2 h 341/2 b 36
    9-12 w 31 h 34 b 36
    9-19 w 30 h 32 b 34
    9-26 w 30 h 32 b 331/2
    10-2 w 29 3/4 h 32 b 33
    10-9 w 29 1/4 h 32 b 32
    10-17 w 28 1/4 h 31 b 32

owls: woodchops: 1300
    newts: made a recipe that i would call a fall recipe (beef stew) and shared it so 10pts for me
    hp: 1940 minutes of exercise

hope you all did great and i am sure you did, just so you know i am proud of all my fellow gryffindors!!!
  • Honeybee511
    Honeybee511 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    current weight- 172.8 :)
    OWLS-200
    NEWTS- 0
    House points- 520
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning Gryffindors!!
    Check in time.

SW: 168
    CW: 166
    OWLS: 1800 wood chops
    Newts 15 (I made a pot of Tuscan Bean Soup and shared the recipe for 10 points. I also used a vegetable in season in a recipe, Bronwenhilary's 70 calorie Pumpkin chip cookies for 5 points.)
    HP:905

As a bonus I was able to share both items I made with an elderly couple that lives across the street. They had been in a car accident and just returned from the ER as I was taking the first batch of cookies out of the oven. I thought it might be nice to give them a dinner of the leftover soup so they wouldn't have to cook and a little treat as well.
    They were doing well. He was uninjured and she suffered some nasty bruising on her leg.

The cookies are delicious! I changed the recipe a bit by using whole wheat flour for half the flour called for. You could not tell at all.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    Hey Bronwen,

A possible future NEWT suggestion? Keep Sodium under 2000mgs a day! I think this is one area we could all improve on :P

Thanks for all your hard work :D

This is a GREAT idea! Thanks, hun!
  • peariel
    peariel Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Did a little better this week but gained some weight. :(

Here are my numbers:
    Oct 31 GW: 149 lbs
    Last weigh-in: 154.2
    This morning: 157
    OWLS: 30
    NEWTS: 5

Hope everyone has a great week! :)
  • jls1661
    jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Reporting for Monday morning check in!

CW: 170 (lost that pound I gained last week)
    OWLS: 1200
    NEWTS: 15 (for making, sharing and eating Spaghetti Squash Lasagna, which is rapidly becoming a go to dinner)
    HP: 340

Hopefully I can start losing weight more consistantly instead of the yo-yo thing I got going on lately. Starting Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred today, and started a 28 day Yoga Bootcamp yesterday so hopefully that will get me going in the right direction.
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Checking in...
    Weight - no change (I think I've lost some inches or fractions of inches, judging by the skirt I'm wearing today, though)
    OWLs and NEWTs - none
    House Points - 168

Keep plugging along...