Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I love gumbo and have been thinking about making some, but how do you get around the roux part?? Maybe it it's enough servings the flour won't matter?? Other than that, I think it'll be OK carbwise. I DO like a LOT of okra, though...! And it'll be sad to eat without the cornbread. :(
    I wonder if you could make a roux using almond flour and oil. Lots of okra would be great! Maybe you could have a MIM instead of cornbread.

I don't think almond flour would properly thicken (and "burn"). I make gumbo every winter, but usually go with the flour for the roux. I have a couple bags of Atkins bake mix...I wonder how it would turn out if I use that instead??
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had a great weekend!

I made a pumpkin mim tonight and it was amazing!! I made a frosting of cream cheese and splenda. Definitely will be having it often (plus I bought a huge can of pumpkin so I kind of have to).

I also realized I could have sauer kraut, this makes me a happy girl!
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    Quick question, is it normal to notice the flax? It's almost crunchy. Not bad, but I was wondering if mine wasn't ground enough.
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just bought some almond flour the other day. I have off of work tomorrow so I will try it and let you know. I'm a southern girl from New Orleans, Louisiana! If I can't make a roux with it then it can't be done! Lol!
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Quick question, is it normal to notice the flax? It's almost crunchy. Not bad, but I was wondering if mine wasn't ground enough.

Mine is crunchy, too. I bought the Bob's Red Mill brand.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I buy flax meal that is already ground and haven't noticed that's it's crunchy. I've tried both Bob's Red Mill from Trader Joe's and Flax USA from Costco. I prefer the latter because it has a lighter flavor and it's cold milled so it keeps longer and doesn't even need to be refrigerated (although I keep mine there anyway).
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    The only brand Walmart carried was Hodgson Mill. How long does it keep in the fridge generally?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I love gumbo and have been thinking about making some, but how do you get around the roux part?? Maybe it it's enough servings the flour won't matter?? Other than that, I think it'll be OK carbwise. I DO like a LOT of okra, though...! And it'll be sad to eat without the cornbread. :(

I wonder if you could make a roux using almond flour and oil. Lots of okra would be great! Maybe you could have a MIM instead of cornbread.

Here is a recipe for low carb gumbo with Roux.............

1/4 cup (60 mL) bacon grease
    3 tbs. coconut flour
    3 tbs. almond flour
    2 cups onions- chopped
    2 cups celery- chopped
    2 cups green pepper- chopped
    3 cloves garlic- minced
    1 quart (1 L) can tomatoes
    2 cups (500 mL) seafood or chicken stock
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 pound (225 g)lump crab meat-picked over for shells
    1 pound (450 g) shrimp
    1/2 pound (225 g) andouille sausage- sliced
    1 tbs. file powder

1. To make roux, heat bacon grease over medium high heat and whisk in coconut/almond flour. Stir continuously until roux has a dark brown color (think dark peanut butter).
    2. Add onions, celery, peppers and garlic and saute until onions are translucent and celery somewhat soft.
    3. Add tomatoes, stock and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
    4. Stir in the crab meat, andouille and shrimp, cooking until shrimp are cooked through.
    5. Remove from heat and stir in file powder.
    6. Serve with cauliflower rice or all by its lonesome.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    The only brand Walmart carried was Hodgson Mill. How long does it keep in the fridge generally?
    I honestly have no clue. There should hopefully be an expiration date on the package along with the notice to keep it refrigerated? I know my current Flax USA bag doesn't expire until sometime next year and I bought it a good 6 months ago.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Flax meal is great as a binder in hamburgers/meatballs. Add a 1/4 cup + 1 egg for every pound of ground beef. It makes the meat taste buttery and smooth.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Flax meal is great as a binder in hamburgers/meatballs. Add a 1/4 cup + 1 egg for every pound of ground beef. It makes the meat taste buttery and smooth.
    Good idea! I also add it into the pork rind crumbs I use for meatloaf and for "breading" chicken tenders.
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    I'm such a noob! I didn't know you had to refridgerate flax. It sat for a day in my cupboard opened..hope it's okay.
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    I just made some delicious and EASY pumpkin pancakes!

Serves 1; 391 calories, 16g carbs, 8g fiber (8g net carbs), 17g protein, 30g fat, 5g sugar

This is a big serving, very filling.

1/4 cup 100% pumpkin
    1/2 cup egg beaters (used this to keep the fat down, 2 whole eggs adds 10g fat)
    1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
    4 packets of splenda, divided
    2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
    1 Tbsp cream cheese
    pinch of salt

Mix together everything but the cream cheese and one packet of splenda. Save that for a topping, I have it added to the counts. Set griddle or pan to 350 degrees. Butter or spray the pan and make 6 small pancakes. This makes them much easier to flip. I waited until they looked set, flipped, then cooked them an additional 40 seconds.

The recipe I modified called for 1/2 tsp of vanilla, but I forgot to add it and tasted great without. To include it adds 1g carbs.

I'm sure SF syrup and butter would also taste good.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I'm such a noob! I didn't know you had to refridgerate flax. It sat for a day in my cupboard opened..hope it's okay.
    I'm sure it's fine. I think the problem is that it will go rancid over time. Refrigerating will help slow the process. One day isn't going to do much damage.

Those pumpkin pancakes sound awesome! There are so many great pumpkin recipes circling around right now that I really need to go buy a can the next time I hit the store.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Can't believe it, but after searching since about May, I found it: Chocolate extract.
    It was at Walmart. I have looked at that Walmart before, but someone must have requested it!
    Now to find those recipes that I wanted it for in the first place...
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I had buffalo wings for dinner last night. Yummy and no guilt! This does not feel like I'm on a diet at all.
    I've been eating food that I hardly ever eat before. I can eat bacon and cream cheese as much as I want and I still lose weight :)
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Busy day at work today. I just finally got through reading the posts since I was last on. I just pulled some oopsie rolls out of the oven and they are so pretty!. My muffin top pan really does the trick. Now i can have some cinnamon toast in the morning.

As for the gumbo I'm making I have made my own roux using whole wheat flour but I also bought a commercial brand of "powdered" roux mix and I use 1/2 of the recommended amount and I load up my gumbo with chicken and sausage. I did the whole recipe last time and divided the servings and the carbs were like 4 gms. I only eat it maybe twice a month and it never stalled me. I know some people are very very sensitive to "carb creep" LOL but the funny thing with me is the fake carbs like sugar alcohols and fillers like soy stall me before a tiny amount of flour. For example after induction I was able to eat Popeyes Fried Chicken and it didn't cause me to gain or stall. But they were the only ones. Because they are so lightly floured here. I couldn't eat KFC. I was very happy to see that I lose weight at about 3 lbs per month right now if my net carbs reach 130 gms per day. I just decided last week to do induction again only to speed up the 3 lbs per month to get these last 10 lbs off for my son's wedding. I am looking forward to afterwards ..maintaining and being able to have my sweet potatoes again.

I just printed out 4 recipes off of Linda Sue' sight today. I am making her italian bake, pumpkin bake, taco bake and jalapeno poppers this week. I am freezing what I don't eat so I can have some homeade " tv dinners" lol for work. I am one that I need to have foods ready and there.

OH I'm rambling but one more thing I wanted to mention. I was gonna buy the flax meal like I had said and when I got to the store yesterday there only had whole flax seed. I said what the heck I can grind it myself and save $$$. So I get up this morning and wanted a MIM ..I get out the old trusty food processor and what?? It doesn't grind it. I just spends the seeds around and just wont' grind them. So I was very frustrated. I have a coffee grinder I used at work for a while . I just have to remember to bring it home with me LOL> I have a horrible memory sometimes.

I want my MIM LOL

Have a great evening.

Nichole
  • SueInAz
    Options
    OH I'm rambling but one more thing I wanted to mention. I was gonna buy the flax meal like I had said and when I got to the store yesterday there only had whole flax seed. I said what the heck I can grind it myself and save $$$. So I get up this morning and wanted a MIM ..I get out the old trusty food processor and what?? It doesn't grind it. I just spends the seeds around and just wont' grind them. So I was very frustrated. I have a coffee grinder I used at work for a while . I just have to remember to bring it home with me LOL> I have a horrible memory sometimes.
    I've had talked to people who preferred to grind their own so they bought a coffee grinder specifically for the flax, so it won't have a coffee flavor. LOL
  • SouLThinking
    Options
    Yes that makes sense. I don't use the coffee grinder anymore for coffee. It was a phase I was in a couple years ago. So I am gonna wash it really really good and hope for the best LOL..

I really am annoyed at myself for forgetting it today because I wanted a MIM. But at least I have oopsie rolls in there for in the morning. I might even have a hamburger for breakfast..oh how sinful LOL love love love low carb.

Nichole
  • SouLThinking
    Options
    stupid internet is being crazy it double posted ...why isn't there a delete option?