Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I just made some delicious and EASY pumpkin pancakes!

Serves 1; 391 calories, 16g carbs, 8g fiber (8g net carbs), 17g protein, 30g fat, 5g sugar

This is a big serving, very filling.

1/4 cup 100% pumpkin
    1/2 cup egg beaters (used this to keep the fat down, 2 whole eggs adds 10g fat)
    1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
    4 packets of splenda, divided
    2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
    1 Tbsp cream cheese
    pinch of salt

Mix together everything but the cream cheese and one packet of splenda. Save that for a topping, I have it added to the counts. Set griddle or pan to 350 degrees. Butter or spray the pan and make 6 small pancakes. This makes them much easier to flip. I waited until they looked set, flipped, then cooked them an additional 40 seconds.

The recipe I modified called for 1/2 tsp of vanilla, but I forgot to add it and tasted great without. To include it adds 1g carbs.

I'm sure SF syrup and butter would also taste good.

Can I add this to my website? :)
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Sure dittie! I updated the nutrition info though, it was a little off. I tried it without the cream cheese topping and used a little butter and sf syrup, I think I like it that way better!
  • welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I LOVE the mim!
    What a fantastic way to up my fiber. I can't seem to get enough fiber but so far, I have loved every variation. :love:
    I can't wait until I go to the grocery store to get some pumpkin. Mmmm pumpkin with a cream cheese topping? What could be better?
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    I have three huge cans of pumpkin in the house! I can't get enough. I made a crustless pumpkin pie.. it's soo good. I love fall :smile:

Lost half a pound, not what I was hoping for but I'll take it.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I need ideas to up my fiber. I know some of you do mim's and baking various things with flax, but I prefer not to use splenda and most recipes have it. I know i can substitute for more natural sweetners and I have recipes saved and bookmarked but still need to make a trip to the health food store for them. So in the mean time can anyone give me some ideas, or any idea to help me with constipation. It has been far to long since I have gone and I am starting to get uncomfortable. I have upped my water, and i try to have a salad every day. Any other ideas?
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    My suggestions would be: nuts, broccoli/cauliflower, and there are low carb tortillas and pitas out there, they are full of fiber. I use Mission Carb Balance whole wheat tortillas, and a small one has 10g fiber! Good luck to you, I know how bad being irregular is. I'm getting more fiber now then I ever have, and my body is doing the opposite! Trying to push water but you can only drink so much. There's also sugar free Metamucil, but I can't stand the stuff.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Serious question for my LC buddies...

I know that we've read that we really don't "need" to count calories while eating LC. However, I've noticed that at least 3 days a week I tend to go WAY under. Like 700-900 calorie range. Is this something that needs to be addressed while eating LC?
    You shouldn't be eating that few calories on any diet, IMHO. I usually eat too little on a regular basis, so I always try to eat more while eating LC because I'm trying to train my body into getting used to eating more calories once I reach my goal weight and switch to maintaining.

I agree. You should be eating more. Even without LC, eating below 1100 calories slows your metabolism. It's hard for me, personally, because I had WLS and I just can't eat that much food. So I put oils and butter into my meals to give the calorie boost to at least close to 1200.

I disagree.

Do not even worry about it.

If you are not eating cause you just are not hungry, carry on with life.

Intermittent fasting is pretty much what you are describing, although yours is unplanned and seemingly natural. You are just not hungry. And intermittent fasting is incredibly healthy for numerous reasons, including the boost it provides to insulin sensitivity (the opposite of insulin resistance, which Atkins is meant to battle).

The odd day going really low calories is not going to launch you into some kind of starvation mode and slow your overall weight loss.

Its the day of binging that could follow if you are not careful...
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    I need ideas to up my fiber. I know some of you do mim's and baking various things with flax, but I prefer not to use splenda and most recipes have it. I know i can substitute for more natural sweetners and I have recipes saved and bookmarked but still need to make a trip to the health food store for them. So in the mean time can anyone give me some ideas, or any idea to help me with constipation. It has been far to long since I have gone and I am starting to get uncomfortable. I have upped my water, and i try to have a salad every day. Any other ideas?

More leafy green vegetables, less cheese or other things that will cause water to evacuate from the bowels.

Also, be exercising, bowels work best in response to vigorous movement. The bowel does systolsis (Spelling?) four times a day, the rest of the time its gravity and body bounce from movement that moves stuff through.

Plugging up is a problem for me sometimes and to be honest, I just take benefibre or something. 1 tbsp never knocked me out of ketosis :)
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    File this under the TMI category....
    but I was wondering if anyone else here has had stomach issues. I actually came to low carb bc I was so uncomfortable and bloated and not losing any weight while following weight watchers plan. I had tons of gas before and never could pin point it. I assumed I was gluten intolerant and cut that out but realized the symptoms were not all gone. So, I went on my own elim diet and start researching. Anyway, I landed on low carb and Atkins and started feeling AMAZING. No more tummy troubles!!!!!

Now, on occaission, I have added in a small amount of berries. Each time I have noticed that I have gas the next day and some bloating. I have read about people being sugar intolerant.

I guess I was wondering if anyone else here has experienced this. I tried "sweet leaf" stevia and thought it didn't agree with me also. I had never considered fruit before my Atkins and I was eating 2-3 servings at least a day.

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/patient-information-gas-and-bloating

Intolerance to food sugars — Some people are intolerant of sugars contained in certain foods. Two common examples are fructose (contained in dried fruit, honey, sucrose, onions, artichokes, and many foods and drinks that contain "high fructose corn syrup") and sorbitol (a sugar substitute contained in some sugar free candies and chewing gum).

Diseases associated with increased gas — A number of diseases can cause difficulty absorbing carbohydrates, which can lead to increased gas. This problem can occur in people with celiac disease (a disease caused by intolerance to a protein contained in wheat), short bowel syndrome, and in some rare disorders. (See "Patient information: Celiac disease in adults".)

Good info and thanks for sharing your story.

My ulcers healed on their own since going low carb. They were there, now they are gone. My doctor is baffled that I could heal ulcers when half my calories come from fat which is supposed to upset our stomachs, right?
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    where do I get the ketone strips everyone is talking about? Are they on the shelf at the pharmacy or do I have to ask and sign for them? I look in almost every store but have no idea what "section" they would be in. thanks
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    where do I get the ketone strips everyone is talking about? Are they on the shelf at the pharmacy or do I have to ask and sign for them? I look in almost every store but have no idea what "section" they would be in. thanks
    I bought it at Walmart in pharmacy.. I think where they have diabetic stuff.
    I cut the strips into half so I can use them more often.
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    I've wondered where they are too, thanks. Might have to look into that..would be nice to know for sure if I'm doing this right!
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will look again.....
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    but I was wondering if anyone else here has had stomach issues. I actually came to low carb bc I was so uncomfortable and bloated and not losing any weight while following weight watchers plan. I had tons of gas before and never could pin point it. I assumed I was gluten intolerant and cut that out but realized the symptoms were not all gone. So, I went on my own elim diet and start researching. Anyway, I landed on low carb and Atkins and started feeling AMAZING. No more tummy troubles!!!!!

Now, on occaission, I have added in a small amount of berries. Each time I have noticed that I have gas the next day and some bloating. I have read about people being sugar intolerant.

I guess I was wondering if anyone else here has experienced this. I tried "sweet leaf" stevia and thought it didn't agree with me also. I had never considered fruit before my Atkins and I was eating 2-3 servings at least a day.

Intolerance to food sugars — Some people are intolerant of sugars contained in certain foods. Two common examples are fructose (contained in dried fruit, honey, sucrose, onions, artichokes, and many foods and drinks that contain "high fructose corn syrup") and sorbitol (a sugar substitute contained in some sugar free candies and chewing gum).

Diseases associated with increased gas — A number of diseases can cause difficulty absorbing carbohydrates, which can lead to increased gas. This problem can occur in people with celiac disease (a disease caused by intolerance to a protein contained in wheat), short bowel syndrome, and in some rare disorders. (See "Patient information: Celiac disease in adults".)

It's so funny that you say that. Just like night, I was having dinner with my sister-in-law. She was complaining of the same thing--gas, bloated feeling, tummy aches. She is eliminating diet sodas and foods that contain fructose and sugars. She's done that for a week, and said she feels a lot better! I mentioned that she should consider a low-carb or Atkins diet, and she pooh-poohed me, though. "I can not do that diet. I can NOT live without starches and grains." Oh, well, I can only offer to help....
  • mdmarcha
    Options
    Is this the safe haven for Low Carbers from the tyranny of the carb pushing facists on the regular forum?
  • martinah4
    Options
    WF be trippin! Funny how you gained a pound after going to the bathroom.

:laugh:

I know, right?
    Must be my scale.
    BTW, I was down 1.5 for the week! Yay!
  • martinah4
    Options
    I don't get it....I was cruisin' along losing about .5 pounds a day. Then, this morning I was up 2 lbs. I went to Zumba, went to the bathroom and gained another pound. Took a shower, weighed soaking wet, and I was down a pound (but still 2 up).
    WTF?
    The WF is definitely losing it. :laugh: I'm sure it's just water weight. Did you eat more than average amounts of sodium yesterday or is it almost that time of the month? My weight will definitely fluctuate wildly due to either of those.

I don't know. The next day, I was back down the 2 pounds. I think I need to invest in a better scale!
  • martinah4
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds like some crazy water fluctuations. I think someone is holding the WF hostage!

Probably that!
    Free the WF!!!!
  • martinah4
    Options

Good info and thanks for sharing your story.

My ulcers healed on their own since going low carb. They were there, now they are gone. My doctor is baffled that I could heal ulcers when half my calories come from fat which is supposed to upset our stomachs, right?

File that under "One More Testimony for the Awesome Healing Powers of Low-Carb Eating!
  • martinah4
    Options
    Is this the safe haven for Low Carbers from the tyranny of the carb pushing facists on the regular forum?

Yes, low-fat calorie counters need not apply!