Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I see a nutritionist, and she had noticed that I have doubled my fiber intake in less than a month. I am trying a new veggie every week to try to get most of my carbs from fresh veggies. She told me that I should take a bean-o before eating the veggies that it will cause me to be bloated, gasy, and constipated. Your body takes a while to adjust to your new way of eating. I still have about 30 lbs to go, so I am just doubting myself right now. I just need a pep talk. Lol.

I will open my diary up for you all to check out.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I see a nutritionist, and she had noticed that I have doubled my fiber intake in less than a month. I am trying a new veggie every week to try to get most of my carbs from fresh veggies. She told me that I should take a bean-o before eating the veggies that it will cause me to be bloated, gasy, and constipated. Your body takes a while to adjust to your new way of eating. I still have about 30 lbs to go, so I am just doubting myself right now. I just need a pep talk. Lol.

What phase are you in? Did you just start Induction?
    I glanced at your diary, and it looks like you're eating a lot of Atkins products which contain sugar alcohols. I have one bar a day, and it doesn't seem to effect me, but the Atkins book cautions against eating too many.
    A good rule of thumb for induction (20 net carbs a day) is to eat 12 of your 20 from veggies and salads. Specifically, 2 cups of lettuce and 1 cup of veggies a day.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options

Yeah, quite a bit of Atkins stuff. That will make you bloated and gassy too with all the sugar alcohols. I can't afford the products most of the time, but when I do have them on hand I stick to one a day. You can do it! Sounds like you're on the right track!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options

Yeah, quite a bit of Atkins stuff. That will make you bloated and gassy too with all the sugar alcohols. I can't afford the products most of the time, but when I do have them on hand I stick to one a day. You can do it! Sounds like you're on the right track!

Also make sure you're getting in AT LEAST 1200 calories a day.
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    I am SO excited! I tried the hamburger bun type mim today with a Boca burger, it was great! This will be a staple for sure. Can't wait to make a ham and cheese sandwich! :happy:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this. If I eat more than one Atkins bar every few days, it messes up my digestive system big time. I haven't noticed that it slows down my weight loss, however.

Malena, I'd suggest cutting out the shakes and bars for a week and see if that doesn't help. It may be the combination of sugar alcohols and fiber is doing you in.
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I took almost two weeks off (problems brought me down... stress eating) and oh my I feel terrible. Today I'm back on. I need to get back into the groove! :)
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    Welcome back! You can do it, and soon you'll be feeling much better :smile:
  • martinah4
    Options
    Welcome back! You can do it, and soon you'll be feeling much better :smile:

Just took the last bite of my Chocolate MIM. I added my new chocolate extract this time. nom, nom, nom....!
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    Is it better that way? I think the standard cocoa mim isn't very chocolately. I almost picked some up the other day along with peanut butter flavored extract, but I hesitated wondering if it had any carbs? There wasn't any nutrition info on the box.

I'm going to make a batch of flax seed foccacia bread for sandwiches and the like. It makes a bunch so I can have extra on hand rather than making the 1 serving mim each time.

I have a habit of jumping on the scale every morning, and I was down another pound! I'm not going to record until Monday though. Have a great day everyone!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Not strictly Atkins but thought if I vented on another of the message boards I would get the "eat what you want as long as you stick to your calorie count" brigade on my back!

Was in a supermarket today and there was a stand with a woman offering free samples of some new "quick breakfast" called Belvita. Haven't heard of it before but suspect it's probably been available in the US for a while. I took one look... and it looked like a biscuit (cookie in the US?)... and ran a mile.

Got home and Googled it and *****y h**l! It IS a biscuit, complete with massive amounts of sugar. It's horrifying to think that they're allowed to peddle this idea to people, who think they are doing the healthy thing by having a "wholesome" breakfast. What made me even madder was that the woman was telling someone that the biscuits are "medically proven to keep you full for four hours". Yes! So does a box of biscuits! Doesn't mean it is good for you.

I don't always stick religiously to the Atkins way of eating (probably 80% of the time) but if it's taught me two things it's that:

1. Sugar has absolutely no nutritional value whatsover and has really negative effects on your insulin levels and body
    2. Quick and easy breakfasts don't have to come out of a prepackaged box (eggs scrambled in two minutes, anyone? Or how about some slices of gammon on the run? Or celery sticks smeared with soft cheese or sugar-free peanut butter?

There are those of us who got overweight despite knowing what was good and bad for us to eat and eating the bad stuff in large quantities anyway (I hold my hand up to this one) and those who got overweight because they really didn't have an understanding of nutrition. Those in the second group will no doubt be susceptible to the marketing rubbish spouted by manufacturers churning out "healthy" alternatives to breakfast.

What really makes me fall over laughing, though, is that the Belvita marketing blurbs state that the biscuits can be part of a healthy breakfast... as long as you add a low fat yoghurt and a piece of fruit. Errrr, so the biscuit alone is not a healthy choice then?

Phew! Rant over!
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Just like the fat-free craze....every time someone offers me something at work and I say no thanks they go ..It's fat free! I'm like that equates it makes you fat!

they go hUh??

Down another 1.2 lbs ..this week. I see the 130's..zig zagging and upped my carbs back up. Whatever works.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Not strictly Atkins but thought if I vented on another of the message boards I would get the "eat what you want as long as you stick to your calorie count" brigade on my back!

Was in a supermarket today and there was a stand with a woman offering free samples of some new "quick breakfast" called Belvita. Haven't heard of it before but suspect it's probably been available in the US for a while. I took one look... and it looked like a biscuit (cookie in the US?)... and ran a mile.

Got home and Googled it and *****y h**l! It IS a biscuit, complete with massive amounts of sugar. It's horrifying to think that they're allowed to peddle this idea to people, who think they are doing the healthy thing by having a "wholesome" breakfast. What made me even madder was that the woman was telling someone that the biscuits are "medically proven to keep you full for four hours". Yes! So does a box of biscuits! Doesn't mean it is good for you.

I don't always stick religiously to the Atkins way of eating (probably 80% of the time) but if it's taught me two things it's that:

1. Sugar has absolutely no nutritional value whatsover and has really negative effects on your insulin levels and body
    2. Quick and easy breakfasts don't have to come out of a prepackaged box (eggs scrambled in two minutes, anyone? Or how about some slices of gammon on the run? Or celery sticks smeared with soft cheese or sugar-free peanut butter?

There are those of us who got overweight despite knowing what was good and bad for us to eat and eating the bad stuff in large quantities anyway (I hold my hand up to this one) and those who got overweight because they really didn't have an understanding of nutrition. Those in the second group will no doubt be susceptible to the marketing rubbish spouted by manufacturers churning out "healthy" alternatives to breakfast.

What really makes me fall over laughing, though, is that the Belvita marketing blurbs state that the biscuits can be part of a healthy breakfast... as long as you add a low fat yoghurt and a piece of fruit. Errrr, so the biscuit alone is not a healthy choice then?

Phew! Rant over!
    I had to Google this because I haven't seen anything like it here in the US. We do have the Quaker Oats Breakfast Cookie, which is probably similar, but they are one big, chewy oatmeal cookie/biscuit.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Is it better that way? I think the standard cocoa mim isn't very chocolately. I almost picked some up the other day along with peanut butter flavored extract, but I hesitated wondering if it had any carbs? There wasn't any nutrition info on the box.

I'm going to make a batch of flax seed foccacia bread for sandwiches and the like. It makes a bunch so I can have extra on hand rather than making the 1 serving mim each time.

I have a habit of jumping on the scale every morning, and I was down another pound! I'm not going to record until Monday though. Have a great day everyone!

I liked it better with the extract. It made it more chocalatety, like you said! Sometimes I add a tbsp of peanut butter, because I haven't found any PB extract. I don't think extracts have any carbs, but my chocolate extract didn't show any nutrition info, either.
    I love the recipe for the flax seed buns...I think Locef (sp?) provided a lot of the flax seed recipes and they are fantastic!

Congrats on the lost pound!!!
  • martinah4
    Options

Phew! Rant over!
    I had to Google this because I haven't seen anything like it here in the US. We do have the Quaker Oats Breakfast Cookie, which is probably similar, but they are one big, chewy oatmeal cookie/biscuit.

I haven't heard of Belvita either, but thanks for the warning! For breakfast this morning I had 3 pieces of bacon and 2 slices of cheddar cheese. I'm not hungry almost 3 hours later, and I was down another pound today.
    I completely hear you about "them" pushing sugar and carbs on an unknowing public. Makes me angry, too. Just arguing with people on MFP who would rather die than have an open mind to other ways of eating...it's very discouraging for me, too!
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    People will do anything to make a buck! Even if it means marketing unhealthy items as good for us.

I've discovered chocolate milk! I'm not a big fan of regular milk so I never looked for low carb options. But the Blue Diamond Vanilla Almond breeze only has 1g net carb for 1 cup! Add two tbsp of sugar free chocolate syrup and a glass of chocolate milk is only 2g! And 55 calories. I could double or triple it and still be good. So exciting :smile:
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk! I have to try it.
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    They may have low carb chocolate almond milk or other varieties at bigger food chains, but the only ones at my Wally were not. So I don't mind mixing!

It's that lovely time of month and my appetite has increased. Luckily I don't crave things, I just have to eat more often. Off to forage in the kitchen..:laugh:
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    They may have low carb chocolate almond milk or other varieties at bigger food chains, but the only ones at my Wally were not. So I don't mind mixing!

It's that lovely time of month and my appetite has increased. Luckily I don't crave things, I just have to eat more often. Off to forage in the kitchen..:laugh:

There are low carb "milk" products at wallyworld(walmart) that I wish I could remember the name of. It comes in 'Full' milk, 'skim' milk and chocolate ;) They're in cartons and it's blue, green and brown respectively.
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    I'll have to look closer next time. Mine doesn't seem to have a very good selection. I can't even get almond flour.

I made peanut butter cookies, they taste ok! A little bit of an after taste from the sweetener, but they'll do the job.