Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

I looked at your diary, and IMO I think you need to go to strict induction again. I just went back a week, but what jumped out at me is that you are not getting most of your carbs from salads and veggies. Strict induction will look like this:

2 cups of salad/lettuce greens a day
    1 cup of other lower glycemic veggies from the Induction foods list
    No fruit yet, sorry. No strawberries.
    Less than 4 oz of cheese a day.
    Watch the sauces! You had one day with BBq sauce that contained 9 carbs. That's almost half your daily allotment!
    Careful with the almonds. They are acceptable, but it's easy to lose track. Use should only be having 1/4 cup a day on Induction.
    At least 64 oz water.
    Coffee is ok, but maybe heavy cream instead of half-n-half. Perhaps decaf. The caffeine may give you cravings for carbs.
    On the Ranch dressing, be careful of the sugars.

I hope this helps! Don't give up! Maybe try strict induction again for 2 weeks--no cheating! Can you find a used copy of the Atkins book at a used bookstore? It would be very helpful to refresh how to do the diet!

Atkins in a nutshell. Nicely put martinah4!

Thanks! I've been doing it so long, I've got it memorized!
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Anyone else at the pre-maintenance level? I am still learning so much about my body and it's needs and abilities. Just wondering who all is close to goal after losing a lot?

Hope your all having an awesome evening.

Rode bikes with my kids tonight. Very big NSV for me. I have had the lowest self esteem for so many years and it's like I finally am starting to like myself enough that I don't feel like I'm an embarrassment to my loved ones that I was to myself for so long. I felt younger and stronger. I think that means more to me than seeing lighter on the scale. I just want to feel normal. I'm almost there. I really can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    *tears in eyes* thanks for listening/reading or whatever LOL

God bless
    Nichole
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    That's great about bike riding! You're almost there, you've done great! I didn't have a lot to lose, but I'm inching closer to my goal. I'm pretty nervous about the maintenance part! I always mess it up. I really need to make this stick for good.

I made a cocoa mim with cherry extract, delicious!! I had cauliflower mash with my dinner tonight, I don't think I'll ever tire of that stuff, yum.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Anyone else at the pre-maintenance level? I am still learning so much about my body and it's needs and abilities. Just wondering who all is close to goal after losing a lot?

Rode bikes with my kids tonight. Very big NSV for me. I have had the lowest self esteem for so many years and it's like I finally am starting to like myself enough that I don't feel like I'm an embarrassment to my loved ones that I was to myself for so long. I felt younger and stronger. I think that means more to me than seeing lighter on the scale. I just want to feel normal. I'm almost there. I really can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

God bless
    Nichole
    I've been floating around maintenance for a few weeks now. I have sort of slacked off because I've almost decided that I'm perfectly happy where I am right now. I didn't have a lot of weight to lose to begin with, but I did have the "sitting on my *kitten*" lifestyle and attitude to lose.

Right now, the clothes I wanted to be able to wear all fit. I'm a little sad that some favorite pieces are now too big but most of them are summer work clothes, so I'll worry about them next year! I'm active again and I'm in better shape than I've been in a decade or more. Losing the last 3 pounds isn't that important to me.

I'm so happy for you and your kids. Having parents who can do things with them is important to kids. It definitely increases the amount of great memories you will all have, too. Don't worry about maintenance. It sounds to me like you are already the person you were trying to become. Remember that only you can see the actual number on the scale. Everyone else sees the outside.
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I know I don't say too much on here...I'm more of a stalker:smile: ...But I read this thread everyday, sometimes several times just to see if more has been posted.
    Reading the ups and downs of others lets me know I'm not alone. So in a nutshell, :heart: THANKS TO ALL OF YOU:heart: , for helping me, guiding me, and sometimes entertaining me. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this....
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options

God bless
    Nichole
    I've been floating around maintenance for a few weeks now. I have sort of slacked off because I've almost decided that I'm perfectly happy where I am right now. I didn't have a lot of weight to lose to begin with, but I did have the "sitting on my *kitten*" lifestyle and attitude to lose.

Right now, the clothes I wanted to be able to wear all fit. I'm a little sad that some favorite pieces are now too big but most of them are summer work clothes, so I'll worry about them next year! I'm active again and I'm in better shape than I've been in a decade or more. Losing the last 3 pounds isn't that important to me.

I'm so happy for you and your kids. Having parents who can do things with them is important to kids. It definitely increases the amount of great memories you will all have, too. Don't worry about maintenance. It sounds to me like you are already the person you were trying to become. Remember that only you can see the actual number on the scale. Everyone else sees the outside.

thank you! I keep trying to tell myself not to hang up on the number. It's getting better. :)
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    Anyone use the Ketostyx to monitor ketosis? I do here and there and I always show in the mid range area, no matter what time of day. I have heard to take the number with a grain of salt but if you have any it will show.

My question is... yesterday I ate 74 carbs.. around 47 net carbs. This morning I tested first thing and showed me in pretty dark level of keto still. How long would it take to knock myself out? Would it have shown right away or does it take a few days?
  • welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone.

I upped my carbs and finally went back into ketosis. Nope, doesn't make sense to me, but I'll take it.
    I'm taking in between 30-35 net and although I broke up with my scale, I can tell that things are moving better.

Now for the good news! I found a post it note with my measurements from last October written on it. Even though I am technically 12 pounds heavier, my hips are 3 inches smaller. Hooray for finding that and giving me more momentum to keep going.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone.

I upped my carbs and finally went back into ketosis. Nope, doesn't make sense to me, but I'll take it.
    I'm taking in between 30-35 net and although I broke up with my scale, I can tell that things are moving better.

Now for the good news! I found a post it note with my measurements from last October written on it. Even though I am technically 12 pounds heavier, my hips are 3 inches smaller. Hooray for finding that and giving me more momentum to keep going.
    Congrats!! One more reason to break up with the scale. :laugh: Measurements are really a much better indicator of success. I'm more interested in fitting into my clothes than whatever number the scale tells me.

I really applaud your determination and effort. Many people would have given up already but you just keep trying which is amazing and inspirational.
  • welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! One more reason to break up with the scale. :laugh: Measurements are really a much better indicator of success. I'm more interested in fitting into my clothes than whatever number the scale tells me.

I really applaud your determination and effort. Many people would have given up already but you just keep trying which is amazing and inspirational.

Awe, shucks.
    :blushing:

It really does feel good to see those numbers. I know without a doubt that I FEEL better when I'm low carb.
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    Ok, so I found the Ketone strips and I'm somewhere in the range of trace and moderate. (the color seemed to be between those two) Am I supposed to be higher than that in the purple range? Or is any amount fine. The directions weren't real clear for the low carb use of them.

ETA: NM, I used the handy search feature. :laugh: It looks like any change is an indicator, do you find that to be true? Some said dark means you're in ketosis and dehyrdated.
  • simsba
    simsba Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started about a month ago on induction and have lost 8 lbs. It's much harder this time. Probably, age and medications I am taking. I am diabetic and hope to come of meds soon. I have always had numbers under control and at one time controlled it with diet. Doing Atlkins, I feel I can do it again with diet. I'm frustrated with the slow loss, probably not eating enough because I'm not hungry. Working on that though. I'm not going to quit, because I feel so much better.
  • simsba
    simsba Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started about a month ago on induction and have lost 8 lbs. It's much harder this time. Probably, age and medications I am taking. I am diabetic and hope to come of meds soon. I have always had numbers under control and at one time controlled it with diet. Doing Atlkins, I feel I can do it again with diet. I'm frustrated with the slow loss, probably not eating enough because I'm not hungry. Working on that though. I'm not going to quit, because I feel so much better.

I decided to do some experimenting. I stopped diet drinks and I am watching my sodium. Made a lot of difference. Lost 3 lbs in 2 days. I went to Dr. today for 3 month check and all my lab numbers were much better than 3 months ago (they were all in normal range then) and we have decided to try going off one of my diabetes meds for 4 months and see how numbers are. I'm very excited about this because I think the meds have slowed me down too. I had lost 12 lbs from when I was there 3 months ago.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options

I decided to do some experimenting. I stopped diet drinks and I am watching my sodium. Made a lot of difference. Lost 3 lbs in 2 days. I went to Dr. today for 3 month check and all my lab numbers were much better than 3 months ago (they were all in normal range then) and we have decided to try going off one of my diabetes meds for 4 months and see how numbers are. I'm very excited about this because I think the meds have slowed me down too. I had lost 12 lbs from when I was there 3 months ago.

Wow that's awesome! Congrats on the med loss too :)
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    Ok, so I found the Ketone strips and I'm somewhere in the range of trace and moderate. (the color seemed to be between those two) Am I supposed to be higher than that in the purple range? Or is any amount fine. The directions weren't real clear for the low carb use of them.

ETA: NM, I used the handy search feature. :laugh: It looks like any change is an indicator, do you find that to be true? Some said dark means you're in ketosis and dehyrdated.

From what a member here told me, the strips are not that accurate as far as trace, moderate etc. basically if you come up any positive you are in Keto but it can't accurately measure.
  • Shannonigans84
    Options

From what a member here told me, the strips are not that accurate as far as trace, moderate etc. basically if you come up any positive you are in Keto but it can't accurately measure.

Ok, thanks!
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I need to find some of those strips, going to the big city soon, I guess I'll check there...
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I need to find some of those strips, going to the big city soon, I guess I'll check there...

You can order them from amazon.com too.
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    Just a good Friday bump! :)
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    It's been so quiet in here! I'm down another half a pound, so it seems upping my calories worked! Anyone make anything really good lately? I made hot wings with blue cheese dressing yesterday, they were so good! Have a great weekend everyone!