Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just had a huge salad while I caught up on all I missed during the holiday and now, I want a MIM!!!!
    Lemon? That sounds heavenly. :)
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm back! Went off Atkins for Thanksgiving, ended up with a stomach virus, and carb loaded all weekend. Scale said I put on 5 pounds, but I'm sure most of it was water weight! So, back to Induction for me today! Let's hope it all comes off, and more!
  • martinah4
    Options
    And for those of you who think you want to carb load once a week or once a month....Not Worth It, IMO!
    I felt bloated and yucky, and the salt has made me retain water.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    And for those of you who think you want to carb load once a week or once a month....Not Worth It, IMO!
    I felt bloated and yucky, and the salt has made me retain water.

^ this!

I agree 100% One days when I was carb heavy, I felt sluggish and just not myself. It really is not worth feeling like crap to enjoy bread or pasta.

Plus, we have so many low carb swap out to use now. In fact, I am addicted to swap outs. My favs:
    Cauliflower for mashed potatoes
    Eggplant strips for lasagna noodles
    Pork rinds for breading (think fried chicken etc)
    Mushroom caps for pizza crust

I have yet to dive into low carb flour / mixes. Don't know if I will b/c of the price and tatse.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Great switchouts! My husband has been grilling zuchini and squash in a cast iron skillet for most of my bread substitutes. I snack on pork rinds, and I found a low carb tortilla with only 3 net carbs, but I limit those to only once or twice a week! If we have sliders, a friend on here showed me a recipe for a MIM that can be used as buns!

I've baked with soya flour, and it's actually pretty easy and tasty! I went to the Atkins website and printed some dessert recipes. I wouldn't recommend unless you're in phase 2 or higher, because the soy flour and splenda seemed to stall my weight loss!
  • jasoe
    jasoe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello! So happy to see a Atkins support group. :smile:
    I had a very CARB HAPPY Thanksgiving and having challenges getting back into the swing of things. Still have big cravings for sweets! Each day is a new beginning.
    Anyone have issues w/Splenda causing cravings? I use the liquid Splenda but wondering if the Splenda/Coffee might be increasing cravings. I also eat a lot of dairy?????

Any suggestions?

:sad:
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I had a carb heavy three days last week, and I felt awful! I was so full of water, I just finally got my ankles and fingers back! It's definitely not worth it, but it is nice to eat normally once in awhile with friends and family. I haven't checked out the damage on the scale yet, I'm waiting a couple more days.

My cravings went away after awhile, just give it time! It's easier if you can find substitutes for your favorite things. I haven't noticed Splenda causing any adverse side affects. Just keep at it!
  • martinah4
    Options
    Hello! So happy to see a Atkins support group. :smile:
    I had a very CARB HAPPY Thanksgiving and having challenges getting back into the swing of things. Still have big cravings for sweets! Each day is a new beginning.
    Anyone have issues w/Splenda causing cravings? I use the liquid Splenda but wondering if the Splenda/Coffee might be increasing cravings. I also eat a lot of dairy?????

Any suggestions?

:sad:

I don't know that it's the Splenda causing cravings...it may be the caffeine!
    Too much Splenda, dairy and salt may stall your weight loss.
  • martinah4
    Options
    I had a carb heavy three days last week, and I felt awful! I was so full of water, I just finally got my ankles and fingers back! It's definitely not worth it, but it is nice to eat normally once in awhile with friends and family. I haven't checked out the damage on the scale yet, I'm waiting a couple more days.

My cravings went away after awhile, just give it time! It's easier if you can find substitutes for your favorite things. I haven't noticed Splenda causing any adverse side affects. Just keep at it!

I'm down 2-1/2 pounds of the 5 gained over Thanksgiving! Arggghhh! Never again. Not worth it!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I lied. Still retaining water like crazy! My cankles are completely out of hand. I hope things even out by Friday, I have a Christmas party to go to. I'll be having steak and veggies, yum!
  • Peanutmanda
    Options
    I am new to atkins. Thank you for all these tips!! Lost 75lbs calorie counting.. Decided to try and switch it up for these last 15 to 20 lbs!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I'm down 2-1/2 pounds of the 5 gained over Thanksgiving! Arggghhh! Never again. Not worth it!
    After a nice 5 mile run after work, and a low carb day, I dropped nearly two pounds overnight. Thank you, Whoosh Fairy! I'm glad to have those Thanksgiving-caused pounds gone.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Have you ever noticed that when you give yourself a carb day, it makes all the cravings for bread and sugar come back twice as bad! OMG I am having the hardest time getting my mind back to where it needs to be!

SuInAZ....great job! I think I need to do that...minus the 5 mile run! lol Maybe a kickboxing class instead.
  • Mikaylarae27
    Mikaylarae27 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Have you ever noticed that when you give yourself a carb day, it makes all the cravings for bread and sugar come back twice as bad! OMG I am having the hardest time getting my mind back to where it needs to be!

SuInAZ....great job! I think I need to do that...minus the 5 mile run! lol Maybe a kickboxing class instead.

SOOO true! It takes me about two days for the cravings to stop!
  • gklose
    gklose Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello all -- I'm new to MFP, but not really new to Atkins. I'm here because my primary care doctor suggested I check into it. Things look great so far, and I'm happy to see an Atkins support site.

One question -- although I have figured out how to change macronutrient levels under "goals", I don't really have a clue how to set them for Atkins. I figure I'm shooting for a max of 6 ounces of protein per meal, and 20 net grams of carbs (I'm still in the induction phase). But under "goals" the carbs listed aren't net carbs, right? They are total carbs. My total carb count should be something over 20 grams, per day, but that would seem like somewhat of a guessing game.

So all that makes it seem like you just kind of pick some numbers that might estimate out, more or less, give or take...or am I missing something here?

Thanks for any and all assistance!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I lied. Still retaining water like crazy! My cankles are completely out of hand. I hope things even out by Friday, I have a Christmas party to go to. I'll be having steak and veggies, yum!

I wore ankle weights all day while shopping and that night when I took them off, my ankles looked freaking fab-U-lous!!! My calves were sore but it was soooo worth it. Just an FYI for those puffy cankle days :)
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hello all -- I'm new to MFP, but not really new to Atkins. I'm here because my primary care doctor suggested I check into it. Things look great so far, and I'm happy to see an Atkins support site.

One question -- although I have figured out how to change macronutrient levels under "goals", I don't really have a clue how to set them for Atkins. I figure I'm shooting for a max of 6 ounces of protein per meal, and 20 net grams of carbs (I'm still in the induction phase). But under "goals" the carbs listed aren't net carbs, right? They are total carbs. My total carb count should be something over 20 grams, per day, but that would seem like somewhat of a guessing game.

So all that makes it seem like you just kind of pick some numbers that might estimate out, more or less, give or take...or am I missing something here?

Thanks for any and all assistance!

For atkins, you want something like 5% carbs, 35% protein and 60% fat. When you set up your diary to show these, also add in fiber so that you can subtract that from your TOTAL carbs to come up with your Net. Then to keep track of that, just add it to your comments for the diary that day :)
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Oops, double post :)
  • gklose
    gklose Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, dittiepe!
  • Beths8705
    Options
    Hi there I just made a low carb group on face book great recipes and amazing friends feel free to join.. its just getting started!!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/groups/299885123379827/?notif_t=group_activity