Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm plateauing again! I'm back to serious Induction tomorrow. I haven't gained or lost in 2 weeks. Grrrr. Someone, send the Whoosh Fairy my way!

I'm holding her hostage for the weekend! Lost 3pounds and hit the 100lb lost mark!

Congratulations!!!! That's fantastic!!! Keep her as long as you need!
    I do hope you award yourself somehow! New clothes?

I've been wanting a Kindle Fire since I first heard about them, so that'll be my reward :)
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm plateauing again! I'm back to serious Induction tomorrow. I haven't gained or lost in 2 weeks. Grrrr. Someone, send the Whoosh Fairy my way!

I'm holding her hostage for the weekend! Lost 3pounds and hit the 100lb lost mark!

Congratulations!!!! That's fantastic!!! Keep her as long as you need!
    I do hope you award yourself somehow! New clothes?

I've been wanting a Kindle Fire since I first heard about them, so that'll be my reward :)

Good choice!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Anybody try anything really tasty lately? I'm looking for new ideas!

I had some great low carb chili and some pumpkin mousse yesterday!

I keep forgetting to make chili! Mmm.

I may have one upped the lemon mim, tonight I added banana extract, 2Tbs chopped walnuts, and topped it with cream cheese frosting! Oh man, it's soooo good!

I walked 4 miles yesterday and ate really well..and gained a lb! I'm getting so discouraged. I know it's not actual weight I've gained; but I'm still up 3lbs from last week and I just can't shake it. I'm not disciplined enough to go back into induction, I've grown quite comfortable in my yummy zone!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Anybody try anything really tasty lately? I'm looking for new ideas!

I had some great low carb chili and some pumpkin mousse yesterday!

I keep forgetting to make chili! Mmm.

I may have one upped the lemon mim, tonight I added banana extract, 2Tbs chopped walnuts, and topped it with cream cheese frosting! Oh man, it's soooo good!

I walked 4 miles yesterday and ate really well..and gained a lb! I'm getting so discouraged. I know it's not actual weight I've gained; but I'm still up 3lbs from last week and I just can't shake it. I'm not disciplined enough to go back into induction, I've grown quite comfortable in my yummy zone!
    Actually, that happens to me from time to time and lowering my carbs for a couple of days is what fixes it. I had gained about 3 pounds last week, did 2 days of about 40 grams and dropped all three pounds in two days. The next day, I hit my lowest weight yet. :)
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    bumpin for later
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was wondering if you all would mind if I joined you! Have been an Atkins fan for many years and am finding more and more, it really is the way my body wants me to eat. The problem I have is keeping the calories low along with the carbs. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks
    Diana
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was wondering if you all would mind if I joined you! Have been an Atkins fan for many years and am finding more and more, it really is the way my body wants me to eat. The problem I have is keeping the calories low along with the carbs. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks
    Diana

Welcome!
    You shouldn't be counting calories at all. I note them on MFP, because it's a default, and I've noticed that I never go over 1700. I'm usually anywhere between 1300-1600 a day. You'll find that on Atkins, the foods you're eating to replace the carbs (fats and proteins) are more satiating. You won't feel as hungry, so you should rarely overeat.
  • mck8686
    mck8686 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if I could join in with this group, too? I am just starting Atkins. I tried it once years ago but wasn't ready for the commitment even though I had good luck on it. My Mom is doing it with me so we have a buddy system. :smile:

I have PCOS and I'm quickly running out of time to try and have a baby. The doctor said I really need to lose weight if I even want to attempt it so I needed something I knew would work fast and Atkins is it. I, too, have been trying to lose weight the healthy way for months with counting calories, exercising, etc and I'm not getting very far. I've read numerous times that low carb is better for women with PCOS so I think this will be a better solution for me.

Kim
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Absolutely! Welcome :)
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hey There! I hope it's ok for me to track this group. I started "Protein Power" (basically the same thing as Atkins except 30 carbs/day allowed during induction) back in November 2009 and lost 60 pounds doing it. Even though I wasn't quite where I wanted to be, I went ahead into maintenance. Two years later, I'm finally finding some motivation to shed these last 30 pounds. I've read the books, have videos, etc. So I'm good to go on that! I just really like the fact that you guys share recipes and ideas... I wish I had seen this much earlier! I've been doing this by myself the last 2 months! My husband lost 70 pounds doing low carb/high protein also back when I started in 2009, but he's in and out with it right now which makes it all the more hard for me to stay on. BUT I'm doing well!

I have two questions:
    1) What is mim?
    2) Something I've struggled with, how do those of you with kids fix meals for yourself (& spouse) that is low carb and meals for your kids also? I can't make the kids low carb meals all the time because meat and fresh veggies are expensive! I find myself buying them frozen chicken nuggets, fish sticks, etc. I feel really bad about doing this sometimes AND it's much harder getting two different meals together. How do you work that? Am I a bad mom? (You can be honest since I don't really know any of you. :-))
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have two questions:
    1) What is mim?
    2) Something I've struggled with, how do those of you with kids fix meals for yourself (& spouse) that is low carb and meals for your kids also? I can't make the kids low carb meals all the time because meat and fresh veggies are expensive! I find myself buying them frozen chicken nuggets, fish sticks, etc. I feel really bad about doing this sometimes AND it's much harder getting two different meals together. How do you work that? Am I a bad mom? (You can be honest since I don't really know any of you. :-))
    1) MIM stands for Muffin in a Minute. http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase/AllAboutMIMs.aspx
    2) I no longer have "kids", just one grown son who still lives at home. What I do with he and my husband, since neither of them is eating low carb, is to make dinners which consist of protein, veggies, starch and salad. I eat the protein, veggies and salad and my husband and son eat everything except the salad, usually. My suggestion to you might be to make a starchy and cheap side dish for the kids that they can basically fill up on (mac and cheese, rice, potatoes) but also give them a little of the protein and, of course, the veggies you're making for yourself and your husband.
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    Thank for the welcome!

My husband and I have been doing the induction since the beginning of October. He lost 30 lbs...I lost 4 which is not normal for me. I started looking at the calorie intake and it was much higher than it should have been. I need to cut down of the amount of fat I allow in our diet and then things should balance out. For the last week I have had to adjust a little bit because we both came down with the stomach flu. I am getting over it, he is not and actually is seeing a dr this morning. I have put some fiber and soda crackers in for a few days. My stomach is finally started not to churn. We will probably be fine by Monday and then it is back at it.

I have come up with some really good recipes. For one, I add a tablespoon of peanut butter to my MIM and a spenda pkt. So very good! I added onions and then sliced it thin for a crouton on top of some onion soup and that was delicious too! I made pumkin custard with 1/2 cup pumkin, splenda, 2 eggs and coconut milk and it was fabulous.
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    Hey There! I hope it's ok for me to track this group. I started "Protein Power" (basically the same thing as Atkins except 30 carbs/day allowed during induction) back in November 2009 and lost 60 pounds doing it. Even though I wasn't quite where I wanted to be, I went ahead into maintenance. Two years later, I'm finally finding some motivation to shed these last 30 pounds. I've read the books, have videos, etc. So I'm good to go on that! I just really like the fact that you guys share recipes and ideas... I wish I had seen this much earlier! I've been doing this by myself the last 2 months! My husband lost 70 pounds doing low carb/high protein also back when I started in 2009, but he's in and out with it right now which makes it all the more hard for me to stay on. BUT I'm doing well!

I have two questions:
    1) What is mim?

I have the same problem but have found out that I can cook the meat/protein in a way that the kids will eat it, make a veggie (he wont eat any veggie so this is no big deal) and then I make noodles, rice, potatoes.....whichever for them. I do a lot of stir fry and have a 'toss' plate on my table so that you can toss what you don't like on it off your plate. Then the dog gets that. Just keep it simple and the kids will eat it.
  • zumbawhit
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! It's not really that I can't get the kids to eat meat... they love it! It's more or less the PRICE of meat for a family of 6!!!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I finally made oopsie rolls! They cradled my very delcious bacon cheeseburger tonight! :laugh:
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    I finally made oopsie rolls! They cradled my very delcious bacon cheeseburger tonight! :laugh:

What are oopsie rolls?
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! It's not really that I can't get the kids to eat meat... they love it! It's more or less the PRICE of meat for a family of 6!!!

Keish (sp) is something I cook at least once a week and the kids love it!
  • zumbawhit
    Options

What are oopsie rolls?

YES! What are oopsie rolls???
  • emarcia28
    emarcia28 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey guys i am just starting atkins.
    Gonna bump for later :smile: good luck everyone
  • dittiepe
    Options

What are oopsie rolls?

YES! What are oopsie rolls???

Oopsie rolls are Atkins' version of a bun, sort of. Hehe. I have the recipe on my site(link below) and it's also on the Atkins site.