Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• Thatlindychic87
    Options
    i started my low carb change this week! need some dedicated low carber friends! :)
  • pork_belly
    Options
    I know this is the Atkins Support Group but was wondering if anyone here read the Hellers' Carb Addicts books? It has some interesting concepts (options) specially in their Lifespan Program edition book. Some I have had in place prior to reading and at least one that I want to test. I am specifically speaking of the one hour "reward meal" that needs to be completed within one hour from start of a carb meal.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Well, my Atkins and Low-Carbing friends, I found out today I'm preggers. I'm terrified and angry. This is not a good thing. I'm almost 42 years old. I'm so upset that I've lost all this weight, just to turn around and put it back on. Plus, we don't need any babies around here, and we can't afford the kids we have.
    I'm a little worried about what I'm going to eat and what will be healthy for the baby, and how can I keep from getting gestational diabetes. For the last week, I've been crazy nauseous, so today, I succumbed and ate about 10 crackers. I went to the official Atkins web site, and it seems like I'm going to have to go to Maintenance levels. I've never been past Phase I, so I have no idea what my ACE is, or how many carbs I should eat. I know I shouldn't be dieting while pregnant, but I want to gain the least amount of weight that I can so I can lose it faster.
    Has anyone been in my situation?
    I seriously just found out, so I haven't made an appointment with a doctor yet.
  • pork_belly
    Options
    First, congratulations!

I think that the new version of the Atkins book has something for expectant mothers.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Well, my Atkins and Low-Carbing friends, I found out today I'm preggers. I'm terrified and angry. This is not a good thing. I'm almost 42 years old. I'm so upset that I've lost all this weight, just to turn around and put it back on. Plus, we don't need any babies around here, and we can't afford the kids we have.
    I'm a little worried about what I'm going to eat and what will be healthy for the baby, and how can I keep from getting gestational diabetes. For the last week, I've been crazy nauseous, so today, I succumbed and ate about 10 crackers. I went to the official Atkins web site, and it seems like I'm going to have to go to Maintenance levels. I've never been past Phase I, so I have no idea what my ACE is, or how many carbs I should eat. I know I shouldn't be dieting while pregnant, but I want to gain the least amount of weight that I can so I can lose it faster.
    Has anyone been in my situation?
    I seriously just found out, so I haven't made an appointment with a doctor yet.

I think you should start climbing the carb ladder now. Since you just found out its a good thing to jump onto that ball right away. Also, of course, talk with your doc and see what they think regarding low carb and pregnancy. Most importantly, continue to exercise as best you can (doctor permitting). Diet isnt the only way to keep the extra pounds off :)
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL... TWICE!!! LOL! Neither time I lost the weight that I wanted to, but I was mid-losing, so I know how frustrating it can be. Plus, I have 4 children, so I understand the financial aspect, too. Keeping in mind that I'm not a doctor, this is my suggestion:
    First of all, yes, you should go to maintenance, but that doesn't mean that you have to go hog wild! Just because you're going into maintenance doesn't mean that you are compromising your commitment to a low-carb lifestyle. HOWEVER, be sure that you use an ample amount of time to get there. It should take you several weeks to ween yourself there, otherwise your body is going to go haywire! Having said that, if you are nauseous, do what you need to do to feel better. If you need to eat crackers, do it and don't feel guilty for it. It's more important for you to take care of yourself. You can worry about eating more specifically when you are further along and feeling better.
    Secondly, As for gestational diabetes, exercise, exercise, exercise. There is a girl in my Zumba class who struggled with that with all of her pregnancies. Like you, before the last baby, she lost a bunch of weight and was determined to keep it that way. She did Zumba the ENTIRE pregnancy (doing as much as she could) until, literally, the day before she had the baby. Actually, several women in my class have done that! The doc told her that a combination of her healthy eating and her exercise through the pregnancy kept her body in check and kept her from getting diabetes. Get involved somewhere, in a class or with a friend, who will push you. High-intensity is not as important as endurance!
    Thirdly, (if you're not opposed) I have to say that the best thing I ever did for myself was to get my tubes tied. They take you straight back after the delivery, it's quick, it's easy, most insurances will cover it completely, and it's so freeing. LOL!
    If you want the formula for what amount of protein you should be having, I have it around here somewhere. I can try to find it for you.
    ABOVE ALL, THOUGH, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Once you get past the shock, try to enjoy it as much as possible. I regret being on edge and frustrated the entire length of my last pregnancy. Wish I would've enjoyed it more. Just remember that what comes on can also come off... it's not the end of the world. :-)
  • martinah4
    Options
    Thanks for that advice! I have been doing Zumba for 3 years, it's so fun and addictive! I go twice a week for an hour. I hope I can do it when I get bigger, but there was another pregnant woman in class a while back who did it to about 7-8 months. She seemed to do lower impact the bigger she got. My instructor is also certified in Zumba Gold, so maybe that's what I need to do when I get further along.
    I went a little crazy yesterday, and hit over 50 carbs. Today, the nausea wasn't as bad, so I just had a serving of crackers (9 net), and had 1/2 an apple for lunch. I'm sitting at about 18 carbs for today, and all from somewhat healthy food.
    My goal is to gain a healthy weight for the baby, but to eat sensibly the whole time and excercise, so it's not so much of a shock for my body to get back in shape after.
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice!
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Question for Atkins people!
    How do you ensure sufficient intake of fiber when carbs are not allowed? Just wondering.
  • zumbawhit
    Options
    Thanks for that advice! I have been doing Zumba for 3 years, it's so fun and addictive! I go twice a week for an hour. I hope I can do it when I get bigger, but there was another pregnant woman in class a while back who did it to about 7-8 months. She seemed to do lower impact the bigger she got. My instructor is also certified in Zumba Gold, so maybe that's what I need to do when I get further along.
    I went a little crazy yesterday, and hit over 50 carbs. Today, the nausea wasn't as bad, so I just had a serving of crackers (9 net), and had 1/2 an apple for lunch. I'm sitting at about 18 carbs for today, and all from somewhat healthy food.
    My goal is to gain a healthy weight for the baby, but to eat sensibly the whole time and excercise, so it's not so much of a shock for my body to get back in shape after.

You know, the South Beach Diet is the same thing as Adkins, except it allows all fruits and veggies regardless of their carb count. That might be something to consider... that way you continue to get the extra nutrients you need and you can satisfy your sweet tooth!... Something to think about! :-)
  • dittiepe
    Options
    How do you ensure sufficient intake of fiber when carbs are not allowed? Just wondering.

Carbs are allowed. But they're allowed in the form of veggies. So pile in those veggies. You should be getting 12g of carbs from veggies alone, minimum. Also, Muffin in a Minute(MiM) are great fiber too :)
  • dittiepe
    Options

You know, the South Beach Diet is the same thing as Adkins, except it allows all fruits and veggies regardless of their carb count. That might be something to consider... that way you continue to get the extra nutrients you need and you can satisfy your sweet tooth!... Something to think about! :-)

It's a little more different than Atkins, but I agree, it's something to consider. SBD allows the introduction of grains back in as soon as you hit phase 2(I just finished reading the Supercharged book. lol). I would look into it!
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

I get my daily fiber from the many vegetables I eat and from muffins made from flax seed meal (Atkins MIM). I count net carbs which is the carb count of the foods (veggies, nuts, flax) minus the fiber content. The occasional times I eat grains they are usually whole grains (not white flour) and only a small amount.
    If you are considering eating low carb you should do some reading on the Atkins website or get one of the books. You may be able to get one from a library rather than buying it.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    For fiber- I use flax, veggies high in fiber, and a fiber supplement. I have issues with constipation(I know not pretty but a fact) and I take a fiber supplement to help with this.
  • zumbawhit
    Options
    I eat LOTS of broccoli for fiber... I also have issues with constipation, so I also add fiber to my coffee. Apparently chronic constipation is hereditary, and my son deals with it also, so we've been back and forth with Children's Mercy on this issue and tried lots of different things. For the post above this one, might I suggest Miralax? For the fiber post, Benefiber. Benefiber is the only one that truly dissolves (I put it in yogurt, scrambled eggs, drinks, cereal, coffee... just about anything).

That may not have been what you were asking, but just a little fyi for you all! LOL!
  • martinah4
    Options
    I've decided to work my way up to Atkins Maintenance phase. I've been eating terribly the last two weeks, because of Christmas, but today, I started at 20 net g's, and will eat a little more carbs as I get hungry. I'm going to try and avoid the bad carbs from grains, pasta and starches. I also am afraid to get on the scale. LOL! My first doctor appointment is Tuesday.
  • Cracklinrose5
    Cracklinrose5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Look for Candace on the Atkins FB page...she is due anytime and has done LC the whole way through. It can be done and done healthily....congrats!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm weaning my way back down after 2 months off the wagon, I dropped wheat for 4 days now which it the key to my addiction (I am allergic to wheat which causes an addictive response in my body) and the rest is easier now. My goal is back to 20g by Tues when I go back to work. I feel better already just getting the wheat back out of my system.
  • kristenncook
    kristenncook Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I need help with this atkins , i am trying to follow the guide but i need some ood ideas and how to keep track of it all just started to day someone help !!!
  • cmthorsness
    cmthorsness Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi all didn't even know this existed... :)
  • cmthorsness
    cmthorsness Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    So I need help with this atkins , i am trying to follow the guide but i need some ood ideas and how to keep track of it all just started to day someone help !!!

I have alot of great recipes I can inbox ya if you like.. I don't eat the bars shakes or anything like that. I make my own ,way cheaper and more of a lifestyle change in my mind. Welcome to a wonderful weight loss with such yummy foods.

Another good tool is if you facebook " Like" Atkins