Strange baby names?

Options

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    My neighbor's brother named his girls Rogue and Harper...
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I had a miscarriage last year, but the names were going to be September Estrella (Star in Spanish) or Xander Jude... my mom told both of us (me & my ex) that we should not be allowed to name a baby,

My cousins kids are named Marley (after Bob Marley) and Chavez (her our moms maiden name).

And I knew someone named Rain Cloud (hippie parents).
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My friend's aunt is a pre-k teacher, and had a student named Pajamas.
    Wow thats super funny! You made me spit on my comp with that one!!!
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My Cousin names her baby "Aryan" after the Aryan race ... creepy...

my other cousin named her kid Clementine... yup just like the song...

And in grade school my teacher infomred of us somone he knew that had named his daugter Female (pernounced Fee- Mal- Lay) She could not think of a name and was not good at reading English so when she saw the label on the baby basket labeled female, she thought the hospital had named the child for her! YOWZA!
  • anu_6986
    Options
    So, this one is often regarded as an urban myth. I am here to tell you that, unfornately, it is not.

My stepmom works for Children's Services. One of the girls on her case load is named Sh*thead (and if you've heard the "urban myth" before, yes --- it is pronounced "Shi-theed").

Please tell me how THAT name was ever legally allowed. Poor girl. There's a reason children's services is involved.

(Coincidentally -- Police Officer that patrolled near my high school was named Richard Butt. He actually went by ****.)
    It's actually a pretty common Indian name, pronounced Shi-thay-yed, my friends husband saw it on the roll when he started as a teacher, yikes, I wouldn't know what to say!

I am Indian and i have never heard that name, unless i am not able to get to get it from the pronunciation :)
  • amberleebrock
    Options
    I had a teacher named Mr. Ho and his wifes name was Ima!!! Ima ho:laugh:
  • DavyRockhit
    DavyRockhit Posts: 168
    Options
    One of my friends has a nephew named Jasper. A co-worker recently named their son Clyde. I realize these names aren't that "out there" but all I can think is poor kids. Thank goodness you can change your name when you grow up. I've always hated my first name and I plan to drop it when I get married.

What is wrong with those names? They are fine names...

This is funny to me because my grandpas name was Jasper and my father in law's name is Clyde hahahaa, he was named after his dad and also passed the name down a third time... sigh
  • faythe38
    faythe38 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a good one this women has a set of twins a girl name YourRoyalHighness (your royal highness) and her son HisMajesty (his majesty) my god daughter brought home a list of kids in her class and when I read these names I almost pissed on myself. I am like you got to be Effing kidding me! My gf said that is their real names. I am still LOL these poor kids are going to be harassed their whole lives. WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY would thier mother do that to them??????
  • anu_6986
    Options
    Oh and my friend's son is starting school with a boy named Vijay, we were all dying to know if his middle name was jay.

It's actually Vijaya, and it's a very common Indian name. Pronounced VEE-Jay

Vijay(boy) and vijaya(girl) are pretty common names in india. It means success.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I had a great uncle named Ted Edwards (aka Edward Edwards).

Went to school with twins named Justin and Dustin.

My brother and I have the male and female forms of the same name (although I go by a short form so usually people can't tell).

I told my mom that if I have a son I want to name him Domanec and she told me I couldn't because I'm not Italian! Pshhhhttt.And I like Vanessa, Taren, and Chylie for a girl.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    My mom has a friend that has two kids named Dragon Fly (son's first and middle names) and Quin Seahorse (girl, she goes by the full thing... pronounced Quincyhorse). :noway:
  • anu_6986
    Options
    My mom's old bass player had kids named Nico and Nigel.

I also know lots of hippies. One of them has gone with strange names for their kids (Star, Rain, etc.) I am a somewhat of a hippie myself but never considered elemental names.

my parents were wannabe hippies but skipped the crazy names lol...but growing up in Boulder Colorado I had classmates with some odd names...Sunshine and Rainbow are two sisters I remember....Mithra (boy)...Shemryn (boy) Thaddeus...Ludwig...and like 12 Jennifers, Amys and Susans :) They always got called by their last initial so there was less confusion for the teacher...

Mithra means a friend in Hindi, or Indian languages
  • anu_6986
    Options
    My mom's old bass player had kids named Nico and Nigel.

I also know lots of hippies. One of them has gone with strange names for their kids (Star, Rain, etc.) I am a somewhat of a hippie myself but never considered elemental names.

my parents were wannabe hippies but skipped the crazy names lol...but growing up in Boulder Colorado I had classmates with some odd names...Sunshine and Rainbow are two sisters I remember....Mithra (boy)...Shemryn (boy) Thaddeus...Ludwig...and like 12 Jennifers, Amys and Susans :) They always got called by their last initial so there was less confusion for the teacher...

Mithra means a friend in Hindi, or Indian languages
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Atticus and Harper are not that unusual. They are both from the acclaimed American novel To Kill A Mockingbird. Atticus is a much-loved character in the book and the author's name was Harper Lee. Both are very popular names among literature lovers. :wink:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Used to work with a guy named Harry Boner.

Went to high school with Jeremy Seeman... not so bad, but his middle name was Scott. If you said it too fast it sounded like Jeremy's got seeman.

If I had a last name like either of these, I would think long and hard when picking a kid's name.

Also worked in a bank call center, and once talked to a guy name Mattress (first name) Fever (last name).
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Let's hear it for redundancy!

In grade school I had a friend named Kerrie-Sue Carey. Then there was a guy named Tom Thompson (really? the parents couldn't think of anything else?) This also goes for John Johnson and Mark Marks, and while we're at it, we can throw in Sirhan Sirhan.

there is also the seemingly innocuous naming of a girl that is later derailed by her married name (this happened to me). I also have two acquaintances, who after marriage became:

Kelly Kelley and Marie Murray. bummer.
    My cousin went to school with Holly Hollingsworth!
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    I knew a guy named "Han Job."

He pronounced hit "hawn jobe."

We didn't.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I am in healthcare and we see all kinds of crazy names. One little boy (and I am NOT kidding) is named Lil Robert...yes, like as in little Robert even pronounced Lil ! There's also Cheetara, Sherclitia, Germia, Thor, Kal-El (just like Nick Cage's son, but this kid had it first), Jachavious, Dontravious, and even someone named Cocaine (what was his mama thinking?)....the list goes on and on.

NOTHING on this thread has made me laugh more than Cheetara! I mean, really? REALLY? That is awesome.
  • Clw927
    Clw927 Posts: 26
    Options
    I work at a university and my favorite name is kizzma... love... button... I hope she is not on here! I think it's cute!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm loving reading through this thread. I also had a great aunt named Ruby Etoile (french for star)... I think it sounds cool!