Deleting friends

Options

Replies

• beautybrainsbooty
    beautybrainsbooty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    you know what you need chica. Do what works for you BUT the ones you delete might be the very ones that help you in the long run. Food for thought. Be well!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    I delete those that don't log in, that are very negative (not those having a rough time), that say they want to lose weight yet their diary is full of fast food and junk food on a daily basis, or that never bother to comment. I'm not one who wants a ton of friends on here...just a few good ones who motivate me to be the best I can be - and I'll do my best to do the same for them.

You know what/who works for you.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    No I don't delete unless they are rude.. but it does no harm to have them on so I usually don't mess with it.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I delete if someone hasn't logged in for months. I try to be understanding of not logging in for days or even weeks as I have had times where life has been hectic and I have fallen off the MFP wagon but may still be doing my thing in Real life.

I have also deleted people that started out as friends but maybe our outlooks or beliefs changed along the way of this journey.

I've been deleted off of people's list so I can tell you, they might notice. :wink:

In the end, it is your journey and you have every right to chose the people who motivate you and help you along the way. :drinker:
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm a deleter. But I've been deleted by many too. I've got no problem cuttin' the list down from time to time. I try to keep my list down to people who either inspire me in some way or another, someone who makes me laugh, or someone who intereacts with me and vice versa.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Every now and then, I'll delete someone who has been MIA for 2+ months. More often than not, I'm the one getting deleted. XD
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    delete away !
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Delete whomever you choose. I prefer to only have poeple who take this journey as seriosly as I do. If they do not provide the same support and motivation that I do, than it usually doesn't work. As long as they log in consistently, and I don;t see red next to there name, I typically will keep a friend around!! Don;t feel bad if you have to cut someone, sometimes there just isn't a good mix.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Do any of you ever delete friends on here? I'm considering deleting a few who hardly ever log in, aren't actively losing weight, and just generally are not supportive. What do you think? Is this mean?

I guess it depends on WHY you have friends on here. I have a Facebook account that is for fun. For ME, I am on MFP for a purpose. I am so grateful for the people I have found on here willing to be my friend. I have picked them or they picked me mostly b/c of a common goal, an inspirational story, or the ability to make me laugh through the process. I have NO problem deleting people that have not logged on in a while or aren't taking this seriously. That is why I signed on here, and that is why I have gathered friends. To help encourage me, motivate me, and i do the same for them, at least I hope they think I do!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It is your program do with it what you will. It sounds to me like you are questioning this a lot. So maybe stop and ask your self how you would want someone to treat you if you were not meeting their needs as a MFP friend. How would you want them to address this situation if the shoe was on the other foot? :flowerforyou: Best of wishes on this journey and with this decision. :drinker:
  • 1nsands
    1nsands Posts: 27
    Options
    To me, it depends... are you actually "friends" with them... or did you just accept them as an MFP friend, just cuz? Have you actually interacted with them on purpose? Why did you become their friend? If you don't really know the person, they will probably not realize you deleted them, even if they log on every single day. I'm a big fan of delete!

DO IT!
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    I don't think it's mean at all. You have to do what's going to motivate you. I delete friends here and facebook, because I don't had them for the purpose of numbers. If there is no interaction then I delete them. I do make exceptions if I know something is going on, or whatever, but if I know that then it means there has been communication.

This is also my attitude towards MFP & Facebook. Quality over quantity. I don't think you need to justify to anyone why you decide not to be their friend and chances are they won't ask you or even notice that you removed them. If they do just tell it to them straight and it's their own business if they take it personally or not.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Normally I never delete, but I HAD to delete one person because he was following my posts around and whenever I said anything about protein, he would respond by putting up videos on the evils of meat consumption or other anti-meat material. I gave him a lot of chances to give it a rest, but enough was enough.

It wasn't a vegan issue because I love Vegans and appreciate the benefits of being vegan. It was more of a 'stop getting up in my face' issue.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have. It's not my thing. People ask me questions and I feel bad but I just answer and then delete.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I delete people after being friends with them for weeks and they don't communicate with me. I reach out to all my MFP friends, and I love my tight little family I got... But sometimes it's frustrating when I just have another name on my list and they don't try to support me and others.

Edit: I also delete people on FB I haven't talked to in ages.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Every couple of weeks I delete anybody that hasn't logged in 20+ days.

same here. :) it clears up my friends list so i can find the people i want to find instead of it being cluttered with people that aren't even logging in. if they used to be active, i sometimes write a note letting them know they can friend me again when they come back.

i will also delete people that i don't have much in common with when i start getting close to 250 friends. i can interact better when i have fewer people to interact with.

by the way, if you decide against deleting them, you can 'hide' them from your newsfeed.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I just recently cleaned out my friends list a little bit. I deleted anyone who hasn't logged in for 24 months or more. I figure they won't notice anyway.
  • IDoIt73
    IDoIt73 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I really don't delete friends... i mostly keep the friends to a minimum.. who cares if u don't make comments on my posts or give me support because i'm the one making this happen!!!!!
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    On the other side of the coin, perhaps the 'friends' are busy having a life and dealing with their own issues and while they offer support when they can, they could also be the one that doesn't just want to type WTG on every positive post just so people know they are there.
    As it's been said, everyone is having their own journey towards their fitness goals and each one needs to do what they have to to manage that.
  • sharamia
    sharamia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was one of those people once. Yeah my friends were gone when I came back. That made me feel like *kitten*. What's the harm in leaving them in your friends? Look how great it will be for both of you if they come back.
    One time I had a friend who didn't log in for a few weeks and it was bc she had a family emergency! And right as she's trying to get back on the wagon, she logs into MFP and all her friends have deleted her. I don't see the point of deleting. If they're not logging in, you don't have to comment on their stuff, there's nothing to comment on!