Deleting friends

Options

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Do any of you ever delete friends on here? I'm considering deleting a few who hardly ever log in, aren't actively losing weight, and just generally are not supportive. What do you think? Is this mean?

Honestly speaking here... life gets in the way for many people. I have this wonderful person in my friend's list who has been gone almost a week dealing with some pretty intense family matters.... Im one of the few that knew about it because she didnt want to be openly public because - well, she has a bunch of strangers on her list that would do exactly what you are doing - making an assumption that they dont care anymore....She is also someone who doesnt care if she gets deleted because if people feel like they have to know every little detail about what she is doing, that gets pretty invasive...

If someone is going to start doing UNHEALTHY things like fasting, HCG, they confess to actually being anorexic, bulemic or fall into that EDNOS category, I dont want anything to do with them.... I just deleted someone today for coming out and admitting they were fasting - they are up to 26 hours of fasting right now...

But, if a person who traditionally is on here, doing what they need to do, say an occasional 'hello', thats perfectly fine. But I dont care if they are committed to MFP - its their choice to take a break from it.... and if they run into things that require priority, Im not going to jump the gun and assume they arent committed anymore and just delete them..... Its rather judgemental, in my books.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't delete people unless they weren't friends or were being rude to me. Some people have things in there lives come up, not everyone can afford internet or the last phone technology. Just food for thought.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    i never delete. recently I've had plenty friends log back in after a hiatus for whatever reason, and that doesn't bother me. so to each his own
  • HardHunk
    Options
    I'm a newbie here, so have not faced deleting friends. But I can recall from facebook, 95% of friends are useless :)
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't delete someone just because they aren't actively losing weight, but I have deleted a few here and there who haven't logged on in ages.

This.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I am a active duty military and a mom of two kids. There are things sometimes that take precedence over me getting online and logging calories sometimes I log it on paper or just get so busy I dont have time. Personally speaking it would hurt my feelings extremely if I logged in to find people deleted me because "LIFE" happened. Just saying
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    you can add and then delete me for practice if you want to ;p
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Do it!!!
  • LeSsOvMe
    LeSsOvMe Posts: 117
    Options
    If they are not supportive or active I delete them. I do have a few that I will never delete no matter how long they are inactive. :)
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    HA!

someone had deleted me, because I wasn't "Logging in" for 5 days.. It was over the holidays. I personally think it's rude...especially within 5 days. Oh well...I didn't care for her anyway. :devil: Not a loss.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I purge everyone who skips for 3 days or I find generally annoying for one reason or another.
  • heatherlh83
    heatherlh83 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ehh the more the merrier, it's not that serious. I've gone through my list a couple times and deleted a few people who hadn't logged on in months but I wouldn't delete someone for being quiet. I don't need everyone on my list to tell me I'm doing a great job. There are some people who get something out of this by quietly reading other people's posts while they're doing their thing and that's fine with me. I would be more likely to delete someone for being annoying. Even then, I'd probably just hide them from my news feed lol.
  • HugznKiki
    HugznKiki Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hellz yeah I would delete them like its hot...this is your journey to success and if they are not contributing in the same manner as you are...they are a waste of space!! I also delete complainers who are always filled with excuses and don't even try to succeed. You have to be focused to win this battle and when your surrounded by people who don't support, don't lose weight, and don't eat clean..whats the point?
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    Not at all .. I do it regularly ..
  • gnikki0
    gnikki0 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try to keep people motivated and like the same in return...that's why there is communication and "friends" on MFP! It's your list, don't feel bad!
  • advan031
    advan031 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I cry every time I get deleted.
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Nope..they will be back..Oh Yes, they WILL be back. Everyone falls off track sometime and will need help when back. Unconditional!!:smile:
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oh, except if they are exhibiting Eating Disorders i.e anorexia, etc. They need more help than I can give. I'll direct them that way and let them know I'm removing them. I feel bad for them, and hope for the best.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm blonde, so I get confused by too many friends, and I actually try to PAY ATTENTION to what people are up to. I delete if we don't EVER speak or they are not active in posting at all. It's nothing personal, I'm just not into "friend collecting". I don't consider people that I never talk to in real life "friends". -You gotta SAY something!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    A bit choosy, aren't we? Yes it's mean...Why does it matter if they aren't actively losing weight?

We are the average of the 10 closest relationships we maintain. When you surround yourself with success it promotes success. you absolutely should dump the people that drag you down. However I caution you to make sure they are chronic negative relationships and not just a good relationship that is struggling.