PALEO TOUGH MUDDERS!

Options

Replies

• ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my research, and I'm confused! Some sites say to not eat much fat, and some sites say to eat a healthy amount of fat (like your nutrients should be mainly fat, then protein, and a few carbs).

I printed off a food list from a Crossfit site, and it says all meats should be lean, and you should avoid bacon and peanut butter. That is the opposite of what I've read on marksdailyapple.

Opinions?
    Peanut butter is from peanuts---legumes. If you are avoiding legumes, avoid peanuts. Also be aware that even in people that do not have peanut allergies, peanuts can cause microscopic holes in the lining of your intestines---leading to leaky gut. Which leads to fecal matter floating around making you feel worse.

I have bacon once a week. I eat meat with reckless abandon. I also make a point of using extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin coconut oil liberally. I eat a ton of avocados when I can afford them...nom nom nom.

Those are the preferred fats. Even better when you can get your meat free range/organic.

My optimal macros are 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carb. (I actually try to go a little lower on carbs and a little higher on fat, but this is what I have MFP set to.)

That being said, I think that the food you choose is highly personal. If you eat a strict diet for 30 days, then introduce one of the questionable items one per week. Watch your reactions: weight gain, energy levels, inflammation, etc.

Thank you - that makes sense! Thank you also for sharing your macro breakdown!

It must be natural almond butter that's ok and not peanut butter?
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    You're welcome! Yes, natural almond (or cashew or macadamia) butter is great in moderation. :D Almond butter just seems to be the most affordable and goes great in smoothies and all kinds of tasty treats.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys!
    I'm just wondering how closely you track your cals? The Paleo Diet says to forget it. Obviously, I don't really know what all of your goals are... I track cals to make sure I'm eating enough back after exercise and I def. focus more on my macro nutrient ratios but I still tend to think about every little calorie. I'm trying to let this go a little.

So, have any of you let go of the counting and still had success? Or do you fit Paleo/Primal into the MFP model?
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes that means that I go over (especially around that magical time when I get to celebrate being a woman ::eye roll:: hahaha). I know that my foods are clean, and I don't worry about it too much. I did change my macros on MFP to 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbs to help me make sure that I'm eating within my ideal guidelines. Sometimes, it's easier for me to get crazy with sweet potatoes and honey than is optimal for muscle building and fat reduction. I also try to make sure that I'm eating ENOUGH to fuel my new muscles. Some of my work outs can be grueling and intense. So, I try to eat more before and after. MFP's calorie burns don't always line up with the heavy weight lifting that I do...(and I don't have a monitor). So, I eat what my body says to eat within my food guidelines. Counting calories didn't work for me. Counting my carbs DOES.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I tracked my cals, carbs everything at first because I didn't have good portion control. I needed to see what 6 oz of steak looks like and how many oz of water really is and how much a spoonful of honey here and there added up. I've been doing this long enough now that I don't really need to do that. The cleaner I eat, the better I feel & do, the better my clothes fit. I didn't really know what my macro ratios were until I joined MFP for a clean-eating challenge set up at my gym. I reset my macro ratios too because I got sick of looking at that high carb #. But I found that I naturally ate 50-60% fat, 30% protein, the rest carbs. My sweet spot seems to be about 1600cal but that's not what MFP said when I plugged all my numbers in, it said I should be around 1450. But tracking every single calorie I was eating was triggering some past disordered eating mentality & behavior so I was happy when the challenge ended. I still log in and write my foods in the notes rather than entering the calories. It's faster and my gym friends can see how I eat as they work on their eating without me going mental about it.
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys!
    I'm just wondering how closely you track your cals? The Paleo Diet says to forget it. Obviously, I don't really know what all of your goals are... I track cals to make sure I'm eating enough back after exercise and I def. focus more on my macro nutrient ratios but I still tend to think about every little calorie. I'm trying to let this go a little.

So, have any of you let go of the counting and still had success? Or do you fit Paleo/Primal into the MFP model?

I have found I can fit it within my 1300 calories a day, because there are so few calories from carbs! I had no idea they added so much. I do find when I have a massive avocado splurge they can go over - so I have been trying to limit that. Drawing my calories from fats and proteins is the best way to keep the numbers in check :)
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    So I decided that I am starting a Paleo way of life today. I am going to eat what is in my house and after its gone I wont buy anymore Unclean foods. I am living with a lot of food allergies soy being the worst. I thought I should share this http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/living-with-a-soy-allergy/
    when I was first removing soy from my body I didnt know these secret terms and Now I am so glad that I do.
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    well i was really into looking into this until the no milk came up :( i love my chocolate milk.....:(
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    well i was really into looking into this until the no milk came up :( i love my chocolate milk.....:(
    Go Primal, but I would wager that you'd still have to change your idea of chocolate milk to a cleaner one.
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    So I decided that I am starting a Paleo way of life today. I am going to eat what is in my house and after its gone I wont buy anymore Unclean foods. I am living with a lot of food allergies soy being the worst. I thought I should share this http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/living-with-a-soy-allergy/
    when I was first removing soy from my body I didnt know these secret terms and Now I am so glad that I do.
    Great job! I know what you mean about the food allergies, and I am sending up a prayer that you find EXACTLY what you need so that you can feel as great as I do. :D
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

Have your milk! There is no actual LAW! The Primal Blueprint actually has dairy in it but they suggest it be raw milk. I think the main thing is removing grains and PROCESSED foods from your diet, at least that's what I've taken from it. It's a healthy way to live forever, if you're really interested don't one thing stand in your way.

Admission: I can't seem to stop eating peanut butter but I am trying VERY hard. I'm failing but trying.
  • jeepzilla
    Options
    I love peanut butter i'm not sure if i can go with out milk and peanut butter i guess I need to read the primal eating... I eat whole grain everything so If I cut all of that out what in gods name would i eat? paper??
  • CavewomanCoby
    Options
    I love peanut butter i'm not sure if i can go with out milk and peanut butter i guess I need to read the primal eating... I eat whole grain everything so If I cut all of that out what in gods name would i eat? paper??

If you really feel this way, maybe paleo isn't the right plan for you? It's not a one size fits all type thing.

I don't recommend eating paper - but a Paleo diet will include:

- Lots of vegetables
    - Meat, fish, eggs
    - Gluten free substitutes (almond flour, coconut flour, cacao powder)
    - Good fats (avocado, macadamia & coconut oil)

I've adapted mine slightly to "Cavewoman" - I do have a little bit of dairy (not yoghurt or cheese, just milk in my coffee)

I'd encourage you to try it - but I know it's not for everyone. Congratulations on your work so far :)
  • CavewomanCoby
    Options

YAY! Good luck. Feel free to add me for Paleo support :)
  • jeepzilla
    Options
    Well really the only stuff i eat is whole wheat bread and pasta, I try and stay away from everything else I eat fish,pork,chicken very seldom do i eat beef....but my weakness is my milk I love my milk :( well chocolate milk :( ...... maybe I could cut down on it some ?
  • CavewomanCoby
    Options
    Well really the only stuff i eat is whole wheat bread and pasta, I try and stay away from everything else I eat fish,pork,chicken very seldom do i eat beef....but my weakness is my milk I love my milk :( well chocolate milk :( ...... maybe I could cut down on it some ?

If you can cut the grain, then dairy is probably the only element you may be able to compromise on. It might be worthwhile looking at the Primal method, which is slighty different to Paleo.

The website for this is www.marksdailyapple.com

I would recommend doing some reading - but keep in mind for both Paleo and Primal there is zero flexibility for grains/legumes. No bueno!
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options

I've adapted mine slightly to "Cavewoman" - I do have a little bit of dairy (not yoghurt or cheese, just milk in my coffee)

I'd encourage you to try it - but I know it's not for everyone. Congratulations on your work so far :)

so you consume milk. what about to bake with it??
  • CavewomanCoby
    Options

so you consume milk. what about to bake with it??

As long as you limit it - it doesn't matter how you use it. I generally would go through about 1/2 a cup a day - sometimes in my coffee, sometimes in a hot cocoa. As long as you moderate it, I think that's okay :) It probably seems like an information overload, but it's worth it I promise!
  • GrokOn
    GrokOn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Does no one else drink Almond milk?... I get the unsweetend vanilla it is a great substitute for traditional milk. I think it fits in nicely with the primal plan.
  • CavewomanCoby
    Options
    Does no one else drink Almond milk?... I get the unsweetend vanilla it is a great substitute for traditional milk. I think it fits in nicely with the primal plan.

Haven't tried it... I'll look for it next time I'm at the healthstore .Thanks Eric :)