PALEO TOUGH MUDDERS!

Options

Replies

• FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    Does no one else drink Almond milk?... I get the unsweetend vanilla it is a great substitute for traditional milk. I think it fits in nicely with the primal plan.
    I have. I use it to cook with when I need a "skim milk" effect. I also use full fat organic coconut milk in the can if I need something like heavy cream. (Coconut milk whipped cream....dreamy.)
    I'm not a milk drinker, and never have been. BUT if you are, then small amounts of unsweetened almond milk could be right for you. You just want to be careful. I've seen several of the health gurus (Mark Sisson pops into mind) warn against the high volumes of nuts that we COULD get into by drinking nut milk, using nut flour, eating raw nuts AND nut butters on a daily basis.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I've found I really like So Delicious coconut milk but even that has been limited to about 4-8 oz a day IF that. These nut milks are technically processed, no? I am using the coconut milk creamer in my coffee, but I occasionally opt for heavy cream because it's delicious and I sometimes struggle to get enough cals on double workout days. I REALLY love the coconut milk. I think I love it even more than cows milk, (because I had lactose issues anyway). It is so good after a hard workout. I like almond milk too, (both unsweetened) but it has a really heavy mouth feel to me.

There is a raw milk provider at my farmers market that I'm going to check out tomorrow. If they have cream I'm getting some.

I too have thought about the volume of the the nuts it would be possible to consume. It's easy to forget that coconut is also a nut!
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    Bump. This is something I want to explore. Even eating whole grains makes me sluggish. Edited to add...thanks so much for the links for newbies.
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    I've found I really like So Delicious coconut milk but even that has been limited to about 4-8 oz a day IF that. These nut milks are technically processed, no? I am using the coconut milk creamer in my coffee, but I occasionally opt for heavy cream because it's delicious and I sometimes struggle to get enough cals on double workout days. I REALLY love the coconut milk. I think I love it even more than cows milk, (because I had lactose issues anyway). It is so good after a hard workout. I like almond milk too, (both unsweetened) but it has a really heavy mouth feel to me.

There is a raw milk provider at my farmers market that I'm going to check out tomorrow. If they have cream I'm getting some.

I too have thought about the volume of the the nuts it would be possible to consume. It's easy to forget that coconut is also a nut!

On my super naughty cheat days, I make pina coladas with So Delicious coconut milk...hehehe

Yes, it's all processed. BUT you can make your own almond milk at home VERY easily. Check out youtube for precise directions. It's just almonds, water and whatever you feel like flavoring it with.
  • CakeFit21
    Options

On my super naughty cheat days, I make pina coladas with So Delicious coconut milk...hehehe

Yes, it's all processed. BUT you can make your own almond milk at home VERY easily. Check out youtube for precise directions. It's just almonds, water and whatever you feel like flavoring it with.

You know, I think I've made it before for some pastry recipe but I can't for the life of me remember what!
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    You know, I think I've made it before for some pastry recipe but I can't for the life of me remember what!

It was probably something French. :) Macaroons have been screaming at me to try again. I haven't made them in over a year, and I'm just about to pop. I think that I'm going to try evap. palm sugar when I do.
  • CakeFit21
    Options
    So, some of you may have seen that last night I made delicious cupcakes for my husband to take to work today for his birthday. I split one with him, buttercream and all. It was amazing. However, very soon after my head started to feel a little buzzy. Then about 45 minutes later I got the WORST headache that no amount of water would get rid of. I had a hard time falling asleep. Obviously, I have no way of knowing for sure if it was caused by the insane amount of sugar/carbs in that delicious cupcake but considering nothing like that had happened in the three weeks since starting this I thought it was worth a second thought. I am not telling you so you'll avoid dessert, (I would NEVER tell you to do that, it's against my core belief system) I just want you to be a little more prepared than I was. I hadn't had anything to eat directly before that. I assume it would have been a little better if there was some protein in my stomach. I also just want you to be sure that whatever dessert/indulgence you choose is really worth it. Make it delicious, not something that comes in wrapper next to a cash register, you know what I mean? Unless, of course, that is what's worth it to you, but I think you can understand my meaning-- Don't waste your cals/carbs/indulgence on stuff that you will later really wish you hadn't. I don't regret the cupcake. I made it myself, it was all organic & for a special occasion. Plus, it taught me some lessons. Also, it was more than easy to just just eat the half of the cupcake. I didn't instantly want more, crave more. I still have a few sitting here and I don't feel like they are mocking me. I used to feel that way if there were baked goods in the house. Admittedly, I want them gone ASAP, but I don't feel out of control around them. This is a huge victory for me. I can feel the cycle breaking I think.

That's all, just wanted to share.
  • CakeFit21
    Options

It was probably something French. :) Macaroons have been screaming at me to try again. I haven't made them in over a year, and I'm just about to pop. I think that I'm going to try evap. palm sugar when I do.

I made macarons exactly one year ago as decorations for my husbands birthday cake. Let me know how the palm sugar goes. They're one of my favorite cookies.
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    So, some of you may have seen that last night I made delicious cupcakes for my husband to take to work today for his birthday. I split one with him, buttercream and all. It was amazing. However, very soon after my head started to feel a little buzzy. Then about 45 minutes later I got the WORST headache that no amount of water would get rid of. I had a hard time falling asleep. Obviously, I have no way of knowing for sure if it was caused by the insane amount of sugar/carbs in that delicious cupcake but considering nothing like that had happened in the three weeks since starting this I thought it was worth a second thought. I am not telling you so you'll avoid dessert, (I would NEVER tell you to do that, it's against my core belief system) I just want you to be a little more prepared than I was. I hadn't had anything to eat directly before that. I assume it would have been a little better if there was some protein in my stomach. I also just want you to be sure that whatever dessert/indulgence you choose is really worth it. Make it delicious, not something that comes in wrapper next to a cash register, you know what I mean? Unless, of course, that is what's worth it to you, but I think you can understand my meaning-- Don't waste your cals/carbs/indulgence on stuff that you will later really wish you hadn't. I don't regret the cupcake. I made it myself, it was all organic & for a special occasion. Plus, it taught me some lessons. Also, it was more than easy to just just eat the half of the cupcake. I didn't instantly want more, crave more. I still have a few sitting here and I don't feel like they are mocking me. I used to feel that way if there were baked goods in the house. Admittedly, I want them gone ASAP, but I don't feel out of control around them. This is a huge victory for me. I can feel the cycle breaking I think.

You go, girl! Your cupcake sounds Ah-May-Zin'!
    That's pretty much my philosophy---but (believe it or not) I am starting to consider my major food allergies and sensitivities a good thing. It's like a choke collar on a dog. I just can't eat most "true" cheats, because it causes illness and pain. Plus my doc informs me that every glutening I take (as a Celiac) leads me closer to surgeries and cancer. It certainly isn't that way for everyone, but us Celiac's have to be more careful. My cheats are usually an insane amount of nuts (in the form of flours or candy type things that I can make with honey and other approved ingredients) ORRRRR alcohol. Yep, alcohol is typically safe. So, homemade pina coladas are a complete and total cheat---they are FULL of carbs and each one (I make 'em big) is around 800 calories. Not something that I do often, but 100% worth it when I do. One other cheat that I indulge in that DOES cause a little tummy distress, but I have to have sometimes= beans. Refried black or pintos. I'm Mexican and that is comfort in a bowl to me. So, I usually break down and have some once a month or so. Then I'm all bloated and miserable for a day or two, and I say "Never again!" hahahaa
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter i'm not sure if i can go with out milk and peanut butter i guess I need to read the primal eating... I eat whole grain everything so If I cut all of that out what in gods name would i eat? paper??

As a celiac I'll vouch cutting out whole grain is way easier than people thing.

I always bounce between going Vegan and going Paleo (could they be more different?) but my food allergies (gluten, soy, and lactose) make me think that Paleo might be for the best. Time to start researching it again.
  • FabCheeky
    Options

I always bounce between going Vegan and going Paleo (could they be more different?) but my food allergies (gluten, soy, and lactose) make me think that Paleo might be for the best. Time to start researching it again.

Good luck! I hope you find a way of eating that brings you to optimal health and fuels your goals. :D
  • ilookthetype
    Options

Good luck! I hope you find a way of eating that brings you to optimal health and fuels your goals. :D

This is the goal. I've found a lot of raw vegan blogs have desert options that seem to be paleo, too.
  • FabCheeky
    Options

This is the goal. I've found a lot of raw vegan blogs have desert options that seem to be paleo, too.

http://rawon10.blogspot.com/2010/03/march-28-2010.html
    ^^ This blog always has tasty recipes and several would be great side dishes. ;P Their desserts are usually pretty paleo, too.
  • ilookthetype
    Options

http://rawon10.blogspot.com/2010/03/march-28-2010.html
    ^^ This blog always has tasty recipes and several would be great side dishes. ;P Their desserts are usually pretty paleo, too.

Awesome, more food blogs to stalk!
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    is constipation a common beginning paleo side effect?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way if there were baked goods in the house. Admittedly, I want them gone ASAP, but I don't feel out of control around them. This is a huge victory for me. I can feel the cycle breaking I think.

Congratulations! That is a victory.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/poop-health/ read down into the comments too, see the mentions of "The Fiber Menace".

Yes, some people have trouble in this area. It may be something else you are eating causing the distress (besides just gluten/grains).

Edit for newbies: not necessarily "common" but some do experience this.
  • FabCheeky
    Options

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/poop-health/ read down into the comments too, see the mentions of "The Fiber Menace".

Yes, some people have trouble in this area. It may be something else you are eating causing the distress (besides just gluten/grains).

Edit for newbies: not necessarily "common" but some do experience this.

I actually had that problem when I was scared of fat and tried to be a low fat Paleo gal. It didn't work for me. I have to have a high fat diet. You're in transition---so, just be gentle with yourself. Do some walking after meals and drink plenty of water.