PALEO TOUGH MUDDERS!

Options

Replies

• FloraJoy
    FloraJoy Posts: 24
    Options
    Just started reading about paleo today and am interested in learning more.

:flowerforyou:
  • SammySweetheart
    Options
    I <3 Paleo. It changed my life.
  • cbfl61
    cbfl61 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Will be finishing up hhcg drops and did well but think Paleo is the way to go forward on my path now. Have also been reading up on Jack Kruse blog and Richards' Leptin Diet. But since I still have some drops left I figured I may as well finish them...almost made my goal too. Have to admit that I can't wait to add more food to my daily intake!

Here's to a Paleo way of life...hope I'm sucessful! Have a great weekend everyone!
  • mcoscia
    mcoscia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How about almond flour pancakes:
    1c almond flour
    2 eggs
    1/4 c water
    1 tbsp honey
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    pinch of ground cinnamon
    coconut oil, butter or ghee for cooking
    pinch of salt

or smoothies

:-)
  • malissaperkins
    Options
    first off BUMP!!
    Second, I am going to start Paleo eating on Monday, however i am having a few issues that i can't seem to get answered anywhere else. I simply cannot afford to buy grass fed meat at this point in time, or organic fruits/veggies. So my question is, can i still do Paleo if I am not eating grass fed/organic?
    Hopefully within the next 6 months, I will be able to switch my fam to grass fed/organic, but really there is NO way right now.
    Third, I could use some Paleo supporters :) If anyone wants a new friend!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    first off BUMP!!
    Second, I am going to start Paleo eating on Monday, however i am having a few issues that i can't seem to get answered anywhere else. I simply cannot afford to buy grass fed meat at this point in time, or organic fruits/veggies. So my question is, can i still do Paleo if I am not eating grass fed/organic?
    Hopefully within the next 6 months, I will be able to switch my fam to grass fed/organic, but really there is NO way right now.
    Third, I could use some Paleo supporters :) If anyone wants a new friend!

Everything I've heard Robb Wolf (of The Paleo Solution) say is that you do the best you can. If you can't afford grass fed right now, then so be it. Though I believe he would probably say to supplement with fish oil. You should check out his website for more specifics, but I know that I have heard him say that you should just buy the best you can afford and that's okay.
  • malissaperkins
    Options
    OK, woohoo!!! I have done Atkin's in the past, with great success I might add,. So it will be interesting to see what Paleo does for me!!! I am excited for monday!! (im waiting for monday bc i had my meals planned for my family and already bought the stuff, next week will begin paleofor me, but not my children or husband) It is going to bedifficult to cook pasta, bread etc for them and not be able to eat it myself!! But, I have my goal in the back of my mind....and some clothes I would like to fit into, in the back of my closet:)
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    OK, woohoo!!! I have done Atkin's in the past, with great success I might add,. So it will be interesting to see what Paleo does for me!!! I am excited for monday!! (im waiting for monday bc i had my meals planned for my family and already bought the stuff, next week will begin paleofor me, but not my children or husband) It is going to bedifficult to cook pasta, bread etc for them and not be able to eat it myself!! But, I have my goal in the back of my mind....and some clothes I would like to fit into, in the back of my closet:)

And if you're interested in trying to ease your family into eating paleo (it's not just for weight loss, but a lot of evidence shows it to be really healthy and healing for a lot of health issues), you should check out the Everyday Paleo blog/podcast/book. This woman is a mother of three who has transitioned her whole family to eating paleo.
  • pickulz76
    Options
    saving to read in detail later...want to try it out!
  • pickulz76
    Options
    Quick Question...
    When you say coconut milk...is it in a can? I havent used it before so Im not sure.
    Ive also seen a box which has coconut powder in it (not shredded, but powder) and you can add water in it to make milk. Would that be ok?
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Bump

I have not read the whole thread yet, but feel this is a great resource!

I do Primal, but with the addition of legumes (occasionally) and raw dairy. We have a family milk cow, so the dairy is completely natural, and I make my own yogurt, butter and soft cheeses.

Not having success at the moment, but I know it's because my head is screwed up, and my body doesn't think I need to let go of this last 40 lbs :p

I'm really starting afresh on Monday (shopping tomorrow) And I'm taking the grazing approach. I've been getting hungry every day at 10 am in spite of eggs for breaky, and then I just tend to snack throughout the day. So I've decided to adjust my menu around these weird cravings, and eat when I want to eat.

I'm Ange, BTW. :)
  • TrufflePig
    Options
    Bump. Not a tough mudder, but I am on my 2nd week of Paleo. Love it!
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Quick Question...
    When you say coconut milk...is it in a can? I havent used it before so Im not sure.
    Ive also seen a box which has coconut powder in it (not shredded, but powder) and you can add water in it to make milk. Would that be ok?

I use coconut milk from a can. Lately I've been mixing one can of coconut milk and one can of water and sticking it in the fridge and using that as my "milk" for the my coffee. You could just do the straight coconut milk from the can, but I like it watered down a bit more. You can also buy coconut milk in carton (I think the company is called So Delicious) but you want to look at the ingredients. Unsweetened is available but the flavored ones have added sugar, I think.

I haven't seen the powdered stuff before but you could try it and report back! (I would check to make sure there wasn't anything funky in the powder or it wasn't processed with chemicals or something else wacky.)
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk from a can is the best (I think) and most Paleo recipes call for full fat :)

BUMP!
  • CavewomanCoby
    Options
    Does anyone on this thread eat Larabars?
  • CelticChick2011
    Options
    I've been working up to going Paleo this last month. Just got The Paleo Diet book this evening...and took it with me to the store. Can't wait to hit the farmer's market this weekend and see what kinds of goodies I can get there. My body is responding wonderfully to it so far. My skin (which is freakishly dry) has been moist an supple. My hair and nails are growing like crazy...and strong. Not having the acid reflux issues like I was previously. Carpal tunnel pains have eased. Tennis elbow almost non-existent. I'm not sure how much is from the food choices or the working out with the personal trainer...but the combo seems to be working for me! I have a weigh in and measurements to do this week and I'm hoping to see some improvement.
  • CavewomanCoby
    Options
    I've been working up to going Paleo this last month. Just got The Paleo Diet book this evening...and took it with me to the store. Can't wait to hit the farmer's market this weekend and see what kinds of goodies I can get there. My body is responding wonderfully to it so far. My skin (which is freakishly dry) has been moist an supple. My hair and nails are growing like crazy...and strong. Not having the acid reflux issues like I was previously. Carpal tunnel pains have eased. Tennis elbow almost non-existent. I'm not sure how much is from the food choices or the working out with the personal trainer...but the combo seems to be working for me! I have a weigh in and measurements to do this week and I'm hoping to see some improvement.

That's fantastic! I'm so glad you're seeing the change, it's so rewarding! Good luck on your weigh in!

Also for anyone out there who wants to know about how many carbs they "should" be eating, here is a copy + pase from www.marksdailyapple.com where he clearly explains where you need to be:

The following descriptions illustrate how carbohydrates impact the human body and the degree to which we need them, or not, in our diet. The ranges represent daily averages and are subject to variables like age, current height and weight and particularly training volume. For example, a heavy, active person can be successful at a higher number than a light, moderately active person. In particular, hard training endurance athletes will experience a greater need for carbs and can adjust their personal curve accordingly. This is a topic I address further in the book (e.g. – experimenting with adding 100g of carbs per hour of training per day), on MarksDailyApple.com and in a future “primal” book dedicated to endurance athletes. Here then is my “Primal Blueprint Carbohydrate Curve.”

300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!

Easy to reach with the “normal” American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio” treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    Does anyone on this thread eat Larabars?

I have a larabar once in a while. It's what I get when I'm really craving sweet junk food... because it's not really junk food, but sweet and tasty. They are still a bit too sweet and carby to have as a regular part of my daily diet- but they make a great once a week treat for me. My favorites are the pecan pie and the cashew cookie :)
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I eat larabars sometimes when i am on the run and need something fast and easy.

also I just bought some maranatha sunflower seed butter it says it may contain soy peanuts and tree nuts does that mean it was made on a facility that processes those things or should i just not eat it???
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've just recently gone completely Primal, but I was gluten free already and was mostly there besides eating tons of rice. I love it!!! I feel a million times better, my skin looks amazing, and my body looks a lot different after only a week. I was recently diagnosed with a B12 deficiency, due to not being able to absorb it through digestion, and I'm really hoping this turns that around. PRIMAL FOR LIFE.

Currently cooking a shepherd's pie with cauliflower topping! YUM!!!!!!!!!!!