Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant-August 2011

Options

Replies

• mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Interesting link I thought I would share - real life birth stories from thebump.com, has vaginal birth stores, c-section, birth stories, high risk, medicated, home birth...really interesting

I was just reading these today, it is very interesting and refreshes my memory. I am pregnant with my second child, but had my son 7 years ago, so I kinda forgot some stuff. I recommend everyone check it out if you have time.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    So, I don't know what happened. I went from having morning sickness, to no morning sickness, to feeling nauseated and having reflux everytime i eat a normal meal. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Gosh - I can hardly keep up anymore! Love to see all the activity and it's awesome to see so many fit and fabulous pregnant ladies! There's no way I can keep up with everyone tonight, but I always enjoy hearing how everyone is doing.

Leticia, don't beat yourself up about running three days a week. It's so much more work when you are carrying precious cargo, three days a week has been all I can manage since about 26 weeks. Keep it up!

Sabrina, I lucked out and had zero morning sickness so I can't help there, but I officially have GERD and have had some pretty rough moments with reflux. It wasn't so bad early on, but as bambino has grown and is now smashing my stomach and everything else I too am having some not so fun moments. I have tried hard to stay away from medications, but occasionally take a zantac when it gets too bad. Maybe try smaller portions more often? I know the triggers are different for everyone so good luck.

Babeed854, I am lucky in that I wear scrubs to work so I haven't had to purchase much in the way of maternity clothes. I've gotten by with two pairs of capri pants, one pair of jeans, a pair of leggings and a skirt for bottoms. I think I have half dozen or so tee shirts and tops. I've found some great stuff at Gap. I got a couple tops at Old Navy and a few things at Motherhood. I found Motherhood to be much more affordable than Pea in the Pod even for the exact same stuff!

Heather, thanks for the sweet words. I went to bed wondering if I had overstepped. A fun fact I love to share with patients is that the surface area of our mouth is about the size of the palm of our hand. Okay, look at your hand. It's a pretty big space isn't it? You'd go tearing off to the doctor or emergency room if you saw an infection that large on any part of your body, but people seem to think it's no big deal if their gums bleed.

A few mentions of dreams.....the last two nights I have had labor dreams....do you think it's because it's so darn close now??

Take care all you mamas!! Try to fight the lazy demons when you don't feel motivated, you'll feel so much better when you defeat them :-)

Holly
  • dmcohee
    dmcohee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I'm so dang tired today! I could not sleep last night. This baby has some powerful kicks and he's very active at night. If I lay behind my husband he will sometimes be woken up by his kicks.

I've had labor dreams recently too, I'm almost 30 weeks. However, my dreams are usually me going into preterm labor and freaking out. A girl I work with just delivered twins at 30 weeks, and my twins were born at 32 weeks, so I'm feeling nervous about preterm labor (I also had part of my cervix removed a year before I got pregnant). However, I'm closely monitored with sonograms every 2 weeks, so I know I should just relax.

Have a great day ladies :-)
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I believe I posted an introduction but then summer and being gone got in the way.

Anyway I am almost 16 weeks pregnant. This has been far my best pregnancy- no IV's-- yipee! I am staying very active. This weekend we were on vacation but I walked and did push ups. This week I have done bootcamp, ran 3.84 miles yesterday and had a rest day on Monday. My biggest challenge so far is getting enough water- I gag drinking it down. I have tried lemons, cucumber and am now putting a little honey in it so see if that helps.

I also am very excited. I am deciding which Personal Trainer course I want to take and I became a beach body coach. I love encouraging and helping others.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    I flossed my teeth this morning and thought about this thread. :smile:

Got a decent swim in last night. I had to share a lane for part of it which I hate doing because I am selfish :wink: and I just didn't feel like swimming the whole mile. I have really had to work at getting all my calories in now that I'm up to almost 1900 a day so I figured I didn't need to extra burn. Day 2 of 5 of workout goal success! And the fruit too.

Speaking of dreams.....I dreamt last night I was having a boy. At first I thoguht boy, then girl, and lately boy again. I even inadverantly wore a blue shirt to my last doctor appointment. I'm excited to find out in a little over 3 weeks.

No working out for me tonight; I have a work dinner thing. The drinks will be flowing and I have heard ahi tuna is on the menu. Anyone been eating raw fish? I know we're not supposed to b/c of potential for bacteria, but really if it's sushi what is the chance it will have bacteria?

Have a great daya all!
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Ashley great job on accomplishing your goals for the day!

babeed leggings are awesome as well as maternity tanks and t's. I still don't have a pair of maternity jeans yet so I can't help there. Not sure what a "body shirt" is. Most of my shorts are just regular shorts that I bought a size up. A lot of nonmaternity clothes I've found to be more comfortable than the maternity clothes...go figure.

Nichole I LOVE the new pic! You look awesome. I don't know what you keep talking about about gaining too much...you look perfectly great to me! :) I'm so glad you had a good birthday. Having a treadmill in the house won't replace zumba or kickboxing in the fun department...but at least it will help when you just aren't feeling it to motivate you to at least move. At least that's what it does for me!

Rayna congrats on the great appt! I love hearing Charlee's heartbeat... I have one of those at home monitor things that my mom bought me from Motherhood Maternity. Well I don't hear anything but she hates it and will kick it no matter where I put it on my stomach! lol! And aren't those first inklings of some movement just awesome?!

Autumn glad everything is going great.

luna I think a lot of us had trouble with veggies at first...for the most part I think it gets back to normal after the first trimester is over.

b4bena let us know how the ultrasound goes. I got a lot of aches and cramps in the beginning of the pregnancy. Most of it is perfectly normal. I can see where your doc is concerned though since you have it on one side. Just stay positive!

Leticia good luck at your appt. I'm sure everything will be great!

Sabrina I'm with Holly and never experienced any sort of morning sickness. I've gotten a little heartburn one time but I think it is because I didn't eat soon enough. Make sure you are eating small meals every couple of hours instead of a couple large meals.

dmcohee I feel your pain! I've got a very active night time baby as well! She wakes me up like clockwork at midnight, 3am, and 6am every night.

ofccat I think I missed my mark and became a nurse instead of a personal trainer. I love motivating others as well. I'd really love to teach group classes as well as personal train. There really isn't a lot of options where I live to do it though. Your workouts sound awesome. That whole water thing sounds horrible! Water is all I drink so I don't know what I'd do if it made me gag...I'd be a very thirsty girl that's for sure. Keep up the awesome work with your workouts and I hope you continue to post on the board!

Well yesterday was quite the downer of a day in terms of accomplishing my workout goals. I had planned on doing the treadmill for an hour and then toning for an hour....I ended up just doing the arms section of Tracy Anderson and called it a day. I was just overly exhausted. Today is a new day though and I've got a full day planned. About to go down and watch Design Star on dvr while I walk/jog on the treadmill then I'm going over to my friends house to do tracy anderson method and then tonight I will be doing yoga. My friend is getting an EGD done tomorrow so she is staying with me tonight so I can take her to the hospital in the morning and pick her up when she is done. She has to eat light tonight so I'm making us salads and getting some chicken noodle soup (wish I were crafty and had the motivation to make it from scratch....but not happening today).

I think it is awesome that several of you have commented on how you like the idea of my babyshower/party. When I first got pregnant and was on another pregnancy board on here I mentioned my idea of a part and that I don't expect gifts at all and that I'm not having a party/shower for the gifts but to get together and celebrate the baby and there was one girl who jumped down my throat about it. She felt like I had personally attacked her because she was choosing to have a traditional baby shower.... I guess sometimes it is hard for people to understand that just because I don't do something for me, doesn't me I judge you if you choose something different for you. I mean..I'm just having a party to have an excuse to eat gourmet cupcakes! lol ;)

Hope you ladies have a wonderful day and make lots of healthy choices!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Ahi tuna can be cooked or raw. I prefer it seared. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that we should stay away from ahi tuna while pregnant. I'm not sure why though. lol (not much help there! haha) I read last night that sushi doesn't pose much of a direct risk to the baby, but if we happen to get sick from it then we could throw up a lot and get dehydrated and that's the main reason we're not supposed to have it. That's what was in the book I got from the Navy Hospital. I also read that Japanese women do not stop eating it when they're pregnant and have healthy babies. You'd still want to choose the low mercury fish though. I think it's the same risks as when you're not pregnant.
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Heather I love Design Star. Who is your favorite? I like Karl. I wonder how he would paint a nursery.

Baby is kicking up a storm this morning after Zumba. For the first time I can actually see my stomach move when she kicks. So awesome:0) Guess she is practicing the moves herself.

Well I just stopped in to read and will hopefully have more time later to comment more.

Happy hump day!

~Nichole
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Ahi tuna (which I LOVE LOVE LOVE) should not be consumed at ALL during pregnancy. It has the highest level of mercury (along with a few others). Sorry chica! Even eating it once is advised against.

Here is the website I posted earlier regarding mercury and the amount of fish we can consume:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm

Here is an article about mercury levels in sushi:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/sushimercury.htm

I am all about the wonderful nutritious elements of fish during pregnancy...we just have to be careful not to consume too much mercury for the sake of ourselves and our baby. This is one thing during pregnancy that I follow pretty closely (as opposed to the lunch meat that I still eat).

Nichole all I know is I don't like Cathy...she annoys me. lol! Don't you just love when the baby kicks and you can see it. Just wait until she kicks you good when you aren't expecting it and it makes you jump! lol! Al always laughs at me when she does that. :)
  • mistigoodwin
    Options
    Been super busy lately and have been eating tons of fresh fruits and veggies which I love, but what are some other healthy snack ideas? I am trying to watch my sodium so staying away from cheeses and things like that. Bought some mixed nuts but they weren't as good as they sounded. If anyones got some other ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks.
  • mistigoodwin
    Options
    My biggest challenge so far is getting enough water- I gag drinking it down. I have tried lemons, cucumber and am now putting a little honey in it so see if that helps.
  • mistigoodwin
    Options
    ofccat - Have you tried adding crystal light or propel to your water? It gives it some flavor and makes it easier to drink when I get sick of just regular water... Good luck.
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Is anyone going to use a Doula or have used a Doula in the past? I'm doing some research and considering it for myself.
    I'm not comfortable not having a Doctor present and to have a midwife here you can't have a Doctor (which I think is silly!)
    But anyway - just wanting to know everyone's thoughts :)
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I had an ultrasound this morning (1st trimester screening). The baby is clear and very active. He/she is arching back, moving legs and arms, sucking thumb... Almost brought me tears. Got a bunch of pictures. Heart rate 157. So excited!

ttb949f.aspx
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    what are some other healthy snack ideas? I am trying to watch my sodium so staying away from cheeses and things like that. Bought some mixed nuts but they weren't as good as they sounded. If anyones got some other ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

I keep a container of raw unsalted almonds in my desk at work in addition to dried apricots. They are easy to eat when I'm too busy to do anything else and I like them together. I also have been buying Cascadia Farms organic kid sized granola bars. They are only about 80 calories each. At home I love rice cakes although they have no nutritional value but satisfy my salty crunchy cravings as does air popped popcorn (with hot sauce and parmesean cheese) which at least has fiber in it.

Boo on the ahi....I know I shouldn't eat it but I LOVE it! Oh well...stay strong..... I can eat it again in 5.5 more months. With a big ole glass (or three) of sauvignon blanc.....Mmmmm.....

That is crazy to think in several months I will be able to feel a baby kick let alone SEE a baby kick! I think I have felt some movement in the last few days....or maybe it's gas. :wink: Hopefully I'll start to feel more movement in the coming weeks. Also crazy to think about seeing a moving thing in an ultrasound (very cool atomdraco) in a little over 3 weeks. It is truly crazy.
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I had an ultrasound this morning (1st trimester screening). The baby is clear and very active. He/she is arching back, moving legs and arms, sucking thumb... Almost brought me tears. Got a bunch of pictures. Heart rate 157. So excited!

That is so exciting! Congrats!! :flowerforyou:
  • mistigoodwin
    Options
    Thanks Better Balance. I've never ate dried fruits but I will try them.

Atomdraco - Congrats...That's so exciting!

Rayna - just wanted to say your profile pic is so cute!!!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    So, I don't know what happened. I went from having morning sickness, to no morning sickness, to feeling nauseated and having reflux everytime i eat a normal meal. Anyone else experiencing this?

Sabrinafaith, I feel nauseated if I go too long without eating, then I’m nauseated when I eat. Can’t seem to find a happy place. Ate light this am (just an apple for breakfast) and felt good, but then I got really hungry and nauseated and miserable. <sigh>

Oh yay! I can’t wait until my 11wk US next month. I think someone asked me about my nearly 7wk US, there was cardiac activity but she didn’t measure it (it was my primary gyn who doesn’t do OB). Hubby was disappointed since it doesn’t look like a baby yet so that’s exciting
    That is crazy to think in several months I will be able to feel a baby kick let alone SEE a baby kick! I think I have felt some movement in the last few days....or maybe it's gas. wink Hopefully I'll start to feel more movement in the coming weeks. Also crazy to think about seeing a moving thing in an ultrasound (very cool atomdraco) in a little over 3 weeks. It is truly crazy.

Better balance, same here! I can’t wait. I have been craving bad fish and for some reason alcohol (not much of a drinker, but he/she will be worth it!). Re: mercury in fish and other places. Definitely listen to Heather - It’s a big no-no, you are basically chopping away at your kid’s IQ and possibly vital organs outside the nervous system. “Impacts on cognitive thinking, memory, attention, language, and fine motor and visual spatial skills have been seen in children exposed to methylmercury in the womb.” When you’re craving ahi, check out http://www.epa.gov/mercury/effects.htm

I was trying not to get attached to my baby till after the first trimester, but I guess it’s too late. I did some sprinting intervals and towards the end developed a weird vaginal pain. I kept looking for blood but none came. Nonetheless I cried irrationally in the shower. Poor hubby made the mistake of poo-pooing the pain and only made me more hysterical. The mysterious pain went away but now I’m kind of afraid to sprint again. If a patient asked me I’d probably just say maybe early round ligament or even unrelated pain but I think if I continued and something DID happen I’d blame myself…..

I should go work out, though I'd rather take a nap... It's my one day off before another long string
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Rayna I'm not going to use a doula because I'm following the Bradley method which is husband coached childbirth and my husband is in essence my doula. I think it is a great idea if you don't have a birthing educated person coaching you to have a doula there though. They are very knowledgeable and can guide you through the birthing process.

Congrats atomdraco on the awesome ultrasound! Sounds like you've got a very healthy baby there!

I have to say that today is simply beautiful. The high was 78*F, the sun is shining, and the air isn't a hot muggy mess. Makes me feel so much better. Being sweltering hot and muggy and pregnant is horrible and makes me not want to be pregnant anymore (with a healthy baby of course)...but days like today make is all seem not so bad and I actually enjoy it. I took a 27 week pic yesterday and I can't believe how much bigger my butt is getting every single week! It is growing with my belly! Aaargh! At least my arms and my face aren't fat....yet! I need to make a goal to stop complaining about the weather and my butt! :)