Fit For Future Families - August 2011

Options

Replies

• sdavisneill
    sdavisneill Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Great Idea J to reintroduce ourselves!
    And I see a few more newbies since yesterday, so WELCOME!

Here's my info...
    Name: Stephanie
    Where you live: Marietta, Georgia
    Job: Account Director for a Global Printing Company
    Length of time on the board: 5+ months
    Marital Status: Married
    Length of time you've been with SO: became best friends16 yrs ago, starting dating 12 years ago, we've been married for 8 1/2 years now
    Do you have kids: No
    Length of time TTC: almost 4 years
    Diagnosis: PCOS with insulin resistance
    Do you chart your BBT: I used to, but stopped because I got inconsistent measurements
    Do you use OPKs: Yes
    Are you on any meds for TTC: Metformin to regulate the insulin resistance & my cycle; I've taken Clomid & Femara, but right now I'm not on anything other than prenatals
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 177
    Goal Weight: initial goal <160 (because losing 50 lbs sounded like a good number when I started this journey); mid-term goal <150 (healthy BMI); long term goal ~136 & more toned (middle of the healthy BMI range for me)

and finally.........

Weird fact about yourself: My hobby & TV viewing preferences put me in the same demographic profile as most octogenarians: i.e. I knit, quilt, do crossword puzzles & like to watch reruns of Matlock & Murder She Wrote. My hubby is always calling me his little ol' lady.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Question: Do you all recommend a prenatal when ttc or just folic acid? i'm sure everyone has a different openion, but what do you take and why?
  • armacd
    armacd Posts: 95
    Options
    Name: Ashlee
    Where you live: Arizona
    Job: Urban Planner
    Length of time on the board - 1week
    Length of time you've been with SO: 10 years (High school sweethearts :))
    Length of time TTC: 28 months
    Diagnosis: Fibroid
    Do you chart your BBT: Yes
    Do you use OPKs: No
    Are you on any meds for TTC: No
    Height: 5ft2
    Weight: 130
    Goal Weight: 120ish...

and finally.........

Weird fact about yourself: I won't shop at Khols because I think the name and the lettering style they use is too masculine...lol!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Question: Do you all recommend a prenatal when ttc or just folic acid? i'm sure everyone has a different openion, but what do you take and why?

Hi I'm wondering the same thing. My doctor told me to just start with folic acid....but I ve added Vitamin D and thinking of adding fish oil......
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hi Emily!
    Prenatal vitamin :wink: Our bodies don't always have the optimum levels of vitamins and nutrients so it's best to get the levels up before someone else is taking them from you. For example, Vitamin B6 is needed for your body to maintain healthy progesterone levels.

As for the question about working out, if you look a little higher on this page you'll see a post I wrote explaining why you don't need to change your lifestyle when TTC. And further to that - in a lot of cases you can maintain your activity level (running and all) until the 3rd trimester if you are healthy and fit. You may need to modify a few things but it can be done.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Name: Karen
    Where you live: Northern VA, USA
    Job: Part-time admin assistant/full-time chaser of my 2 year old
    Length of time on the board - I don't know...it's been a while. I consider myself an "oldbie" by now.
    Length of time you've been with SO: Married since 2004, were together off and on for a long time before that.
    Do you have kids: 1-a son, almost 3.
    Length of time TTC: 17 months
    Diagnosis: secondary infertility. I don't know the actual diagnoses, but HSG and sonograms indicate that I apparently have only one ovary that chooses to "participate". They couldn't even find the other one last time they looked! Other than that, unexplained. So, it makes the first try conception of my son look much more miraculous than we took it for back then, and also made the secondary infertility diagnosis all that much more of a shock. I have since learned that it is just as common as primary infertility. Not that it makes any of us feel much better!
    Do you chart your BBT: Nope
    Do you use OPKs: Not anymore
    Are you on any meds for TTC: Am in the middle of my 2ww after an IUI cycle that was medicated. Currently on estrogen and progesterone during the 2ww.
    Height: 5ft2.5 (I have to have the .5, durn it!)
    Weight: 136
    Goal Weight: 125--but I"m just trying to stay under 135 since that is considered a healthy BMI. The last 10 are vanity pounds. I don't have time for vanity right now, I'm trying to get prego, and when dealing with fertility treatment, vanity will get you nowhere!
    and finally.........

Weird fact about yourself: I can flip my tounge upside down. My mom used to make me do it at parties and stuff. So embarassing. My son seems to be flirting with the ability to do it too. One of the very few things I think he got from me! I'm still deciding whether or not to help him showcase his talent. (JK!)

AFM: The girls are very sore today. But, apparently, that's what Progesterone can do, so it's not necessarily a sign of pregnancy. Especially when I consider that I had NO symptoms with my first pregnancy till much further along. It's the meds messing with my mind. Normally, I'd be spotting by now, but the progesterone seems to be curtailing that as well. Just taking it a day at a time as best I can, resisting the urge to pee on any sticks. Last night I had a "splurge" meal--Fosters grilled cheese and french fries. It was totally worth it, except for the heartburn. Ugh. Tonight I'm getting a haircut. I totally need it (I'm a really short hair girl), and I'm really looking forward to it.
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Here's my info...
    Name: Tara
    Where you live: Airdrie, Alberta
    Job: Inventory Control manager/dealer trades Country Hills Toyota
    Length of time on the board:6ish mos
    Length of time you've been with SO: 4yrs
    Do you have kids: Yes one awsome spunky 2 yr old lil girl
    Length of time TTC: since April
    Diagnosis: introvert, jk, none
    Do you chart your BBT: no
    Do you use OPKs: Yes, sometimes
    Are you on any meds for TTC: no
    Height: 6
    Weight: 155
    Goal Weight: ideally 145 but I dont think that will ever happen, learning to become happy at my current weight
    and finally.........

Weird fact about yourself: Ah man Im so lame I cant think of anything Im really just wierd in general
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    There was an article in a womens fitness magazine recently about excercising and trying to concieve. Everyones body is different and reacts differently to excercising. It was basciclly saying that mabe you should switch it up or go a little less hardcore. Anyways it opened my eyes to the possibility of slowing it down a bit. For me I run sometimes for 2hrs at a time (once a week) This I'm avoiding while fertile. Im still excercising but avoiding jogging long distances.for now. I wish I had a link to the article. Its tough because its hard to pin point direct science of it all. Anyways Im just trying to focus on being healthy this week and relaxing! When did I become this stressed and full of anxiety??
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Name: Lisa
    Where you live: Texas
    Job: Financial Planner
    Length of time on the board: 2 weeks
    Length of time you've been with SO: dated for 5 years and married for 7 years
    Length of time TTC: 4 months
    Diagnosis:
    Do you chart your BBT: No
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 173
    Goal Weight: 165
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    There was an article in a womens fitness magazine recently about excercising and trying to concieve. Everyones body is different and reacts differently to excercising. It was basciclly saying that mabe you should switch it up or go a little less hardcore. Anyways it opened my eyes to the possibility of slowing it down a bit. For me I run sometimes for 2hrs at a time (once a week) This I'm avoiding while fertile. Im still excercising but avoiding jogging long distances.for now. I wish I had a link to the article. Its tough because its hard to pin point direct science of it all. Anyways Im just trying to focus on being healthy this week and relaxing! When did I become this stressed and full of anxiety??

I feel the same way! It's like when you say you are "officially TTC" - everything changes. All of a sudden we get paranoid about everything, and stressed out - which is exactly what we should NOT do. Even with sex - you try to have this "scheduled" sex every other day, and when it doesn't work out as planned, we get all worked up about it. It's supposed to be fun! I worry about working out too hard too, but my trainer assures me it's fine. She said I could even keep my same workout schedule throughout pregnancy. So, to you and me, I say RELAX! :flowerforyou: I gotta chill out...it'll happen when it's meant to happen...
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Name: Fiona
    Where you live: Hampshire in England
    Job: Mental Health Advisor
    Length of time on the board: just over six months
    Marital Status: co-habiting
    Length of time you've been with SO: about 8 and a half years
    Length of time TTC: 18 months
    Diagnosis: none really but I was on the depo provera shot for many years and it seems to have really messed up my cycles. They seems reluctant to do any more than just basic blood tests which all came back clear.
    Do you chart your BBT: Just about to start
    Do you use OPKs: Yes but only just started.
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 198
    Goal Weight: 125

And a strange fact...............I have so many! I used to be an undertaker, that was pretty weird.
  • jalara
    Options
    Ladies I completely understand! Here's the difference: when you've been trying for awhile it gets to be a slap in the face to alter your lifestyle every month with no results.

Personally, I don't believe things I read in magazines - but that's because as a nursing student I normally go right to the study to read it myself. It's true that some studies suggest slowing down a bit, but I've found no hard core scientific basis for it.

With that said, every woman is different and every woman knows what feels right to her. If you need to slow down, go for it! Do what feels right for you. For me, after trying for more that a year, I won't change my actions every month because if I do I will go crazy!

I think you'll find a lot of diversity here - we don't all agree all the time, but we're always here for one another and we can talk openly about anything. Rest assured - this is a safe haven for everyone!
  • batgirlrox
    batgirlrox Posts: 105
    Options
    Name: Amanda
    Where you live: Alberta, Canada
    Job: Advance Care Paramedic
    Length of time on the board: 2 months
    Length of time you've been with SO: 3 years
    Length of time TTC: 1st month trying
    Diagnosis:Ulcerative Collitis and meds associated with it has stopped us from TTC before now
    Do you use OPKs: Plan to start this month. Just got my package in the mail from early pregnancy tests(Thanks for the suggestion Jalara)
    Are you on any meds for TTC: Prenatals
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 176
    Goal Weight: 150

And a strange fact: I have 2 different coloured eyes (one blue one green) They fluctate on intensity with my moods. I would have been burned at the stake for this in the 18th Century because they believed this would have made me a witch.

AFM- Still can't do more then walk from my bed to the couch and back again. The vomitting, shakiness, and dizziness continues. I was hoping this would resolve when I was back to my everyday routine at home but I'm still waiting. Welcome to all the newbies!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    AFM: The girls are very sore today. But, apparently, that's what Progesterone can do, so it's not necessarily a sign of pregnancy. Especially when I consider that I had NO symptoms with my first pregnancy till much further along. It's the meds messing with my mind. Normally, I'd be spotting by now, but the progesterone seems to be curtailing that as well. Just taking it a day at a time as best I can, resisting the urge to pee on any sticks. Last night I had a "splurge" meal--Fosters grilled cheese and french fries. It was totally worth it, except for the heartburn. Ugh. Tonight I'm getting a haircut. I totally need it (I'm a really short hair girl), and I'm really looking forward to it.

I totally get you with the urg to pee on a stick last month I had ALL they symptoms so I peed on a stick 2x even though I knew it was way too soon to tell...we weren't even trying at that point, but since we got used to the idea of "holy crap me might have a kid." We also got real attached to the idea and decided to try :) I'm a short hair girl too but decided I want to grow it out. My hubby and I are both not cutting our hair until the first kid is born (could be 10 months could be a few years, we'll see)
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Hi Emily!
    Prenatal vitamin :wink: Our bodies don't always have the optimum levels of vitamins and nutrients so it's best to get the levels up before someone else is taking them from you. For example, Vitamin B6 is needed for your body to maintain healthy progesterone levels.

As for the question about working out, if you look a little higher on this page you'll see a post I wrote explaining why you don't need to change your lifestyle when TTC. And further to that - in a lot of cases you can maintain your activity level (running and all) until the 3rd trimester if you are healthy and fit. You may need to modify a few things but it can be done.

I guess I'll be picking up some prenatals :) i'm so glad I found you guys! My physical friends don't want to hear about any of my thoughts, concerns or any of that. I did read your post about working out and did some research, I guess we'll see how my body responds this month. The main reason I was concerned is that last month I was WAY light, and only lasted like 2 days so I am wondering if my hardcore work outs are messing up my system (I didn't have a regular cycle the whole time I was at boot camp)
  • meggamix
    meggamix Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Name: Meggan
    Where you live: Utah
    Job: Staffing Coordinator @ University of Utah
    Length of time on the board: 3 months -ish
    Marital Status: Married 1.5 years
    Length of time you've been with SO: 6 years
    Length of time TTC: Been off BC for 14 months, actively trying for 2 months
    Diagnosis: Hubs has low sperm count
    Do you chart your BBT: Will be, my thermometor is is being shipped right now!
    Do you use OPKs: Will be regularly
    Height: 5'1"
    Weight: 159
    Goal Weight: 120

Weird fact about myself: Ummm....I have a serious fear of calling people on the phone. I really HATE it.
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Name: Destiny
    Where you live: Northeastern Utah
    Job: Stay at home mommy.... but I used to be a Pharmacy Technician
    Length of time on the board: Brand new!
    Length of time you've been with SO: 4.5 years... married for 3
    Do you have kids: 15 month old daughter (Olivia)
    Length of time TTC: We haven't been preventing since May, but we've been actively trying just in the last few weeks
    Diagnosis:
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 151
    Goal Weight: 135

Weird fact about myself: I name all my pets after nuts. I kind of inherited my first dog already named Peanut, but then I decided that all pets were crazy (nuts!) so it stuck. Right now I have Peanut, Coconut, and Walnut (all dogs), but I've also had another dog named Pinon (a type of pine nut) and a turtle named Pecan. :laugh:

Yesterday I accomplished all of my goals, but I didn't get any strength training in. Hopefully today so that I can go every other day and give my body some time to rest. I've figured out that even though I don't have a whole lot going on in my life (besides a baby, house, husband) that I don't really have a whole lot of free time to post on here as much as I'd like. I'm going to try and check in daily though. But I'll admit that I do peek around throughout the day on my phone :blushing: Hope everyone is having a great tuesday!
  • jalara
    Options
    Hi Emily!

I guess I'll be picking up some prenatals :) i'm so glad I found you guys! My physical friends don't want to hear about any of my thoughts, concerns or any of that. I did read your post about working out and did some research, I guess we'll see how my body responds this month. The main reason I was concerned is that last month I was WAY light, and only lasted like 2 days so I am wondering if my hardcore work outs are messing up my system (I didn't have a regular cycle the whole time I was at boot camp)

I understand! That's something that would make me worry a bit too - it might be good to get your doc to check you out if you aren't having regular cycles - that could mean something more serious is going on.
    I know that when some women get down to a low body fat (too low) that can interrupt their cycles as well (I experiences that when I was in infantry training in 1999 - it freaked me out!). Obviously you know what works best for you and if easing up means regular cycles then all the better! After all - we can't have babies without a cycle! And we all want babies!
  • newleafbeth11
    Options
    Are there any foods that are good sources of folic acids/other B vitamins? I know they are important for health in general, but I've heard having too much of them can be bad for women's bodies, so I thought I would start slow and go with foods for it. (I honestly don't remember where, so if I'm wrong, feel free to correct).
  • clydeisme
    Options
    Name: Bonnie
    Where you live: California
    Job: Stay at home mommy
    Length of time on the board - Newbie
    Length of time you've been with SO: 2 years
    Do you have kids: Yes 9 month baby girl
    Length of time TTC: Not currently trying yet, I want to loose some weight before TTC again.
    Diagnosis:
    Do you chart your BBT: no
    Do you use OPKs: no
    Height: 5ft1
    Weight: 156
    Goal Weight: I would like to be 140 before TTC but my actual goal weight is 125 - 130

and finally.........

Weird fact about yourself: I love making lists, I have made lists for everything in my life lol.