Like Minded Lushes August 2011

Options
Hello and welcome to the thread that acknowledges alcohol. We like it. :drinker: Most of us drink it. We struggle with the effect it has on our weight loss. We support each other when we strive to control it. We support each other when we fail to control it.

This is a support zone. Not a judging zone. All are welcome...and if you have yummy drink recipes, all the better!! :wink:

I thought I'd start the new thread since it's August...holy carp! August!!

I've not really been logging my drinking--some days it's a ton and some days it's not. The hubs and I took the kids up to his parents' place up in Grand Lake, Colorado for 5 days and while his parents were there, we didn't drink a ton, but the last night we were there, we tore it up. I've *still* not recovered. :laugh:

School starts for me on Wednesday (that's when the teachers report, the kids start on the 8th) so my drinking will be cut WAY back...which is a good thing. I think my weight's crept up a bit--what with me not being able to exercise much and all.

So, welcome to August!!

Replies

• ItsMeTime
    Options
    I am so in on this. I have been drinking SO much this summer. It will tone down some- but not really- once school starts. I'm in law school, we drink A LOT. We deserve it- or so we say. (By "we" I mean law students/lawyers) Some law students drink much- but I am NOT in the group. In fact, many of us are getting together next week for a "week of drunkenness" Fortunately I can't particiapte everyday because of work.

Thanks for starting the group
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Yeah i like cocktails :-)
  • LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    I am with you on this one! I think especially during summer time it is easy to get a little carried away while vacationing and at social get togethers. I try to log my drinks as best I can. Sometimes it is easy if it is wine or beer. I have a friend that makes a pretty darn good magarita by using a lime juicer. She uses fresh lime juice, water, ice, splenda, and of course tequila. You can hardly tell the difference... and it is so much lower in calories. I just try to log these items item by item.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,172 Member
    Options
    Thanks Amy for slapping me into reality/August and starting the new thread.

I feel for all the teachers out there who are starting back this week. I teach group fitness (step and strength training classes) and a majority of my members are teachers and they all have this bummed look on their faces. Although here in Georgia they are glad they have jobs (so many got cut) but it is tough getting back in the groove.

Trying for all 0's until Friday. I did pour myself a glass of Rose with dinner but after one sip I realized I didn't feel like it and pawned it off on my husband who gladly partook.

Monday - 0
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Welcome all the newbies!!

Oh and D...I *know* what you like. :wink:
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    I am so in on this. I have been drinking SO much this summer. It will tone down some- but not really- once school starts. I'm in law school, we drink A LOT. We deserve it- or so we say. (By "we" I mean law students/lawyers) Some law students drink much- but I am NOT in the group. In fact, many of us are getting together next week for a "week of drunkenness" Fortunately I can't particiapte everyday because of work.

Oh man... didn't think of that! My daughter wants to be a lawyer but it didn't occur to me until you mentioned it that some of the rowdiest customers I've ever had as a bartender were lawyers or law students!!!
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    I'm gonna try a little harder to keep my drink a little better in check! Kim's challenge is winding down and I am part of the final 5... super proud! But if I make it through this week which is a big IF... I'm gonna have to be good cause I wanna win!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Kasi, that's awesome! Congrats on being in the finals!

I'm currently enjoying a Blue Moon Honey Wheat and then when the kids go to bed, I'm going to eat Salt and Vinegar chips whilst folding laundry and watching True Blood. :drinker:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options

I graduated in 2004 and lawschool totally changed my attitude towards drinking, when we celebrated, I'd feel a little more normal/less stressed than before and it went like this-better, drink, better, drink, better, drink, better, drink, better, sick. I threw up every time I drank! it was usually after finals!
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    Kasi, that's awesome! Congrats on being in the finals!

I'm currently enjoying a Blue Moon Honey Wheat and then when the kids go to bed, I'm going to eat Salt and Vinegar chips whilst folding laundry and watching True Blood. :drinker:
    Lol, not sure why but that made me giggle that you have it so well planned out:laugh: Have you tried Pop Corners? I think they have them in salt and vinegar and less cals then chips:wink:
  • faithikins
    faithikins Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Have had quite a lushy week. :laugh: Followed by McDonalds hangover cures. Bad, bad, bad. I think I will be out of Kim's competition this week. :wink: Good luck Kasi :smile:
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Hello friends and happy August!

I feel a little like I failed you all....on Sunday I did the warrior dash and you get a free beer at the end. Well it was 105 degree heat index and I so exhausted/hot/tired/dehydrated that I gave away my free beer :( In hindsight, it was the right decision but still, I don't believe in not taking free beer!

Went out once last weekend so here's my count for last week:

Monday - 0
    Tuesday - 0
    Wednesday - 0
    Thursday - 4 beers
    Friday - 1 cider, 5 vodka waters
    Saturday - 0
    Sunday - 0

Getting there!

This week my kickball league starts and I have a music festival. Stayed tuned for lushiness.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Wasn't gonna drink last night BUT my husband picked up some wine soooo
    Monday-5oz of Malbec-not too bad.

Last week I didn't drink monday-thursday and hoped it would help me lose something BUT it didn't so I'm back to it this week with my trusty measuring cup.:happy:

Tuesday-12oz
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Amy, thank you for starting the August thread. Yesterday was my first day on the new job and I had no manager (he had been removed) and no computer. Needless to say it was a day from hell and I had no way or time to get the August thread going.

I only had a little wine and a couple of pom martinis yesterday so not bad.
  • girlontheseesaw
    Options
    Hello August.

I don't know if I'll do better with drinking this month. I should try to drink less, as I'm reallly close to goal (would be there if I'd lost instead of gained this week).

Maybe I'll try to have a couple of days off this week *shrugs*
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Sunday=0 drinks
    Monday=0 drinks

Last night I wanted to take a glass of wine to bed while reading Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, it is a great book and a total page turner. But I brushed my teeth and rinsed with listerine so as to not want to drink wine.
    Savin it for tonight, probably 3 or 4 light beers...
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this group. I love beer, perhaps a little too much. Last month when my husband and I went on our anniversary trip, we hit 9 brewpubs/micro-breweries in 8 days. Of course, I also am a fan of high alcohol/high calorie beers. Then there was Michigan Summer Beer Festival. That Friday night, I drank approximately the amount of calories I should have in a day in beer samples. (Probably way more, actually.)

The week of beer fest, I was exactly flat, no weight gain. I was so proud. Of course, my weigh in the next week was up 1.6lbs. instead. SIGH.

I think I really should cut down on the amount of beer I drink. I usually only drink it one or two nights a week (usually) but I just don't seem to be able to say no.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    August thread already?! This summer is flying by.

Had a bottle of wine last night during Shark Week, have a family get together Friday and there will be more drinks throughout the weekend. August is busy for us, we have a Beer and Chili thing to go to for our friends birthday, my bestfriend is having a tiki party again this year and we're planning a trip to Vegas and California. Before I know it, it'll be September and almost time to put my Halloween decorations up! =] It's my favorite holiday and I can't wait :devil:
  • ksare81
    ksare81 Posts: 7
    Options
    I love this! I'm a huge drinker and have tried cutting back since June, it's been and up and down battle for sure. I love my wine, love it. Could drink it all day everyday. I noticed though, that when I don't drink during the week I feel lighter and more energized. Go figure!
  • LadyByrd77
    LadyByrd77 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Definitely love this thread. I am also a teacher in NYC so I still have another month to go. It is definitely hard to monitor drinking during the summer with all of the social gatherings.