C25K Starting 8/8- Open group for encouragement!

Options

Replies

• brendalyne
    Options
    Well.....I just jumped into Week 5. Day 1 is done. I only did 2 days at week 4....then felt a cold coming on and skipped the 3rd day. I thought about doing it this morning, but amazingly felt really good so I decided to just skip ahead. But I DID slow my pace a little bit today......not that it was wasn't pretty slow before! :wink: So my average bpm was only 119. But I still managed to sprint the last 20 seconds of each running section. So my peak was 177 bpm. And I burned 350 cals.

Ladies, I do not know what to tell you about the shin splints..........I had them several years ago when I started jogging and if I remember correctly my daughter told me "good shoes".....which you' have done.....and STRETCH before you even start walking/jogging. Good luck....just remember to go at whatever pace you need to go to get through it kiddos! :happy:
  • Rachel1913
    Rachel1913 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a great Labor Day. Week 5 Days 1 and 2 are done. I did day 1 on Saturday and day 2 this morning. So you know what's next for me...the big 20 minute run on day 3. I am so nervous about it. I just don't see how I'm supposed to go from running eight minutes ay a time to 20. But I'm going to try my best, and of course, I'll let you all know how it goes. Good thing about doing my run this morning is that I burned 587 calories (I walked another 45 minutes after my c25k run) and can eat well at my barbecue.
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Week 1, Day 1. OMG. Am I ever gonna be able to do this? So after the WARM UP WALK (don't laugh) my calves began to tighten. Scary.
    Run 1- Not too bad, D-Diva. You can do this.
    Walk 1 - Nice break. Look at the birdies. What a nice breeze.
    Run 2 - Whew. Sweating a little. Calves...don't fail me now.
    Walk 2 - Thank you, baby Jesus.
    Run 3 - Im halfway done! (looks at phone - 3 of EIGHT?!?! What the what?!?!)
    Walk 3 - Brisk walk here? Nah...I'll just stroll.
    Run 4 - Are my butt cheeks sposed to hurt? I think I'm doing it wrong...
    Walk 4 - (a car LITERALLY ACTUALLY stops to see if I'm okay)
    Run 5- More like a speed walk with hops in between steps, coupled with heavy panting
    Walk 5 - More like a slow limp
    Run 6- JESUS JESUS JESUS JESUS JESUS
    Walk 6- More like a quick crawl
    Run 7 - #(*&^&*^
    Walk 7 - SHINS ON FIRE SHINS ON FIRE......Sweat POURING....MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
    Run 8 -Strange second wind kicks in...finish line in sight..
    Final cool down: Every muscle in body is afflicted with Tetanus. I'm sure of it.

Day 2 gets better, right? lol.....
  • brendalyne
    Options
    YES, Ddiva - it DOES get better! :laugh: I loved your description......it brought back memories! :tongue:
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Brendalyne, YOU in particular are my inspiration for this run! I tell ya...you're like superwoman! I wanna be like you one day! :flowerforyou:
  • brendalyne
    Options
    Ddiva - now you're making me BLUSH!:blushing:

Rachel - I will be waiting to hear how you KILLED the 20 minute jog! Just stay away from the HILLS girl! :happy:

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! :drinker:
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! i got week 5, day 1 in today! i ended up running a lot more after i was done, for a total time of 54:28 minutes! :-) those hills have nothing on me now! i've also noticed that no matter how long i run now, instead of my heart rate being in the high 170s-180s, it is in the high 150s-mid 160s. i'd say that's progress! i may be one sick puppy, but i'm actually looking forward to the 20 minute run on friday! :-)

avg hr- 159
    34:50 above tz
    15:20 in tz
    4:10 below tz

i can't wait until that 34:50 gets bumped down into the target zone area!

brendalyne- i'm glad to hear you're feeling better! i knew you could move on. you've been prepped by the boss...jillian! it's crazy, but i'm sure that's why i don't feel soreness or pain in my arms or legs! thank you 30 day shred!

welcome all you newbies! it's great to have a support group and ours is growing by leaps and bounds. you don't have to catch up, just jump in where you are! we can do this together! :-)

d-diva, it does get easier, i promise!

rachel- YOU CAN DO IT!!!! this is an encouraging read : http://scarletwords.com/2009/10/25/couch-to-5k-week-5/

here's what another person said about it, "When I saw [the 20 minute run] the first time, I just about freaked out. It isn't so bad though. Honestly, I find that the first ten minutes of any run are the hardest. After that, I don't know if endorphins kick in or what, but it gets easier after that. I've been told (by people who do not run) that this is impossible and that the second 10 minutes can't possibly be easier than the first, but I've heard from folks who do run that they have experienced it. I found out that if I can run for 10 minutes, I can run for 30. The longest I have ever ran was for one hour, and even on those runs, the first ten minutes was the challenge. You can do it. Give it your best and pace yourself. There's nothing wrong with going slow. "

someone else had a killer quote from confucius, "He who conquers himself is the mightiest warrior." i love it! i think i'll be chanting this come friday!
  • mags2504
    Options
    Ok, ok, ok......sigh....I've been contemplating RE-REstarting C25K...no better day than tomorrow, I spose. :) I have started C25K about seven times. I really want it to stick this time, but I have two problems. 1) Committment. 2) Shin splints. I would have to say that the second problem is far more daunting than the first. I don't have a HRM yet, but I have some $120 clunky Brooks running shoes that are sposed to be for heavy runners with flat feet (me). I have read EVERY SINGLE POST since this thread started. It is comforting to know that some of you have had the same problems that I have had....(did I mention SHIN SPLINTS ARE A PROBLEM?)

I'm really gonna need some encouragement. I've got the C25K Pro app on my Android....and it just gives a chime when it's time to run, or walk...with a special chime for the final run. I can play my own music from any app along with it, so it's really nice. Anywho...I will start W1D1 tomorrow am. Wish me luck!!
    I have a problem with shinsplints too and I have flat feet. I had a long awaited appointment at the podiatrist yesterday. She said I had obviously done the right thing in buying a pair of support trainers, she also said my shinsplints (which are mostly in my right leg)could be caused by my crap flexibility in my right calf. She gave me calf stretches to do 3x daily and said the flexibilty shoud come in time so heres hoping. When I went for my running shoes I went to a shop that videod me on the treadmill to measure my gait. What a huge difference they have made.
  • ashlee3276
    Options
    I actually just started the C25K program last week...1st week was tough towards the end of the workout. Hopefully I will be able to keep up with the program for the second week. My friend and I signed up for our first 5K for December in hopes we will stick with the program! Let me know if you have any suggestions/tips!
  • linbee83
    Options
    Ddiva - Having been there...that made me laugh! Awww...it does really get better. When I first started I thought I was going to die after 90 seconds...now I'm almost ready to die after 5 minutes! 90 seconds is Nothing! Never thought I'd be there! Hang in there. "I think I can, I think I can!"

Well, week 4 DONE! I feel like SUPERWOMAN! Lol. And actually, I thought week 5 was the 8 minute run. I looked at it, and it's 3 5 minute runs, I can do that! So, tomorrow morning, I should be starting with week 5. I am so on BL-time! Oh well, just knocking it out.

J - you always have the best quotes. I lofes you!

Mom - You go girl! Kick that butt!
  • j_courter
    Options
    Ddiva - Having been there...that made me laugh! Awww...it does really get better. When I first started I thought I was going to die after 90 seconds...now I'm almost ready to die after 5 minutes! 90 seconds is Nothing! Never thought I'd be there! Hang in there. "I think I can, I think I can!"

Well, week 4 DONE! I feel like SUPERWOMAN! Lol. And actually, I thought week 5 was the 8 minute run. I looked at it, and it's 3 5 minute runs, I can do that! So, tomorrow morning, I should be starting with week 5. I am so on BL-time! Oh well, just knocking it out.

J - you always have the best quotes. I lofes you!

Mom - You go girl! Kick that butt!

awww- i lofes you too! i'm looking at my week five, day 1 right now and it is a 5 minute jog, 3 minute walk alternation... day 2 is 8 minute run, 5 minute walk alternation, and day 3 is a 20 minute run. is yours different from mine?
  • linbee83
    Options
    Nope, looks like I was reading it wrong yet again..oh well, I'm still gonna go for it!
  • toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Had to push off my start date due to gym membership complications and pouring rain. Starting 9/12 after I get paid and get started at my new gym.
  • brendalyne
    Options
    Jenny - you are the ONLY person I know who would run more after you finished the C25K workout! You are an inspiration.....although I have NO INTENTION of doing the same......but kudos to you! :laugh:

I am actually kind of looking forward to the challenge of 8 minutes tomorrow, and then 20 minutes on Friday. I am convinced that the 20 minutes Friday (or whatever day I do it) will be more mental than physical....cuz I plan on going as slow as I need to go to get it done! :bigsmile: The only thing that could mess up my week is that I'm still fighting off a cold. I was feeling much better this weekend.....probably due to getting lots of rest and no work stress. Today....after a mega-stressful work day.....I have a sore throat and feel like the cold may win! :grumble: So I purposely did not do ANY exercise today and I'll get going to bed early....and hope that I wake up feeling rested and ready for Week 5, Day 2! If not, then I'll go to "Plan B"....which is to just get over it and pick up C25K as soon as I can! :smile:

Good Luck everyone....whatever Week and Day you are on! :heart:
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I upped my running to 30 minutes now. It's really tough to keep myself going. What do you do those last ten minutes when you start to poop out!?

Also, I found a 5K race that runs through our local amusement park. Thought it would be a cool one to try!:-)

Shannon
  • brendalyne
    Options
    I upped my running to 30 minutes now. It's really tough to keep myself going. What do you do those last ten minutes when you start to poop out!?

Also, I found a 5K race that runs through our local amusement park. Thought it would be a cool one to try!:-)

Shannon

Shannon - you are ahead of me if you've upped your running to 30 minutes! And it sounds to me like you're doing GREAT! But, I think the answer to your question is pretty straight forward.....just slow your pace a little bit if necessary. You want to find a pace (whatever it is) that will allow you to get the entire 30 minute (or however many minutes) run done. That doesn't mean you won't be pooped at the end.....there's nothing wrong with pushing yourself! But right now - for me anyway - I'm working on building some endurance & stamina - I could care less about speed! You can always increase your pace once it becomes comfortable.....or you can go longer if you have more fuel left in the tank at the end! :bigsmile:
  • brendalyne
    Options
    Week 5, Day 2 is DONE! I actually felt really good during the first 8 minutes.....the 2nd 8 minutes was a little tougher, but I guess that's to be expected, right? :happy:

My avg was 130 bpm, my peak was 179 bpm. Peaking at the HRM throughout is really pretty interesting.....while I was jogging my heart rate quite quickly jumped into the 150 to 160 range....and held steady there. When I walked it dropped quickly! My peak was simply due to my "sprint" the last 30 seconds of each 8 minute section. I use the term "sprint" rather loosely....it was a whopping 6 mph for 15 seconds & 7 mph for 15 seconds! :wink: I'm finding a 5 mph pace to be pretty comfortable.....but I'm prepared to slow down a little bit for my 20 minute jog coming up on Friday!

It is such a great feeling to get another day DONE! Everyone on this thread should feel GREAT PRIDE that you are DOING THIS! Keep trucking kids! :drinker:

Mom
  • j_courter
    Options
    rachel- i'm anxiously waiting to hear how your 20 minute run went! :-)

brendalyne- i guess i'm crazy, but i'm having a lot of fun!

ariel- no big deal, can't wait to have you join us!

linbee- you can do it! i believe in you! hope life is treating you better! sending warm fuzzy thoughts your way. (and i'm praying for you too!)

shannon- a run through an amusement park sounds like a blast! i agree with brendalyne, slow your pace, focus on breathing, put in some high energy tunes and just don't think about it. your battle is probably more with your mind than your body, but listen to your body... if it's really hurting and breathing properly doesn't help, you may just need to back down a bit. take it one day at a time and you'll see notice a difference in your stamina in no time. you could probably also try some gel or something halfway through to give you that extra umph...

hey gang! i finished week 5, day 2 today. i even got to see 5 deer walking around in the woods at the end of my road today! (2 of them were little fawns!). it was chilly here in northeast indiana this morning, so i had to go back home for my hat, but i got 'er done. my lungs are scarred from a bout of pneumonia when i was young, so the cold air really bothers me, but it wasn't THAT bad today. i'm a mess right now with my allergies and it affects the way i breathe all day long, but running hasn't aggrivated it any more, so i'm pushing on. hopefully the colder weather will get rid of some of the ragweed and tree junk that is floating around!

after i finished, i did some sprint/jog sessions and ran .4 of a mile just to see how fast i could do it... 3 minutes and 3 seconds today, not that time really matters right now, but i want something to compare in the future. i'm really hoping to run on a track friday to see how far my 20 minutes takes me, but we'll see what happens. if not, maybe i'll do my run at night when hubby is home to watch the kids and at least run the country miles, so i have an idea of how far i'm going. anyway, here are my stats for the day just in case anyone really cares:

avg: 160
    27:50 above tz
    17:40 in tz
    2:30 under tz
  • j_courter
    Options
    brendalyne- you are awesome! my heart is hanging around the 160s now when i run too... that's awesome because before i started this it would have shot up to 180 in no time! NSV!
  • linbee83
    Options
    J - thank you! Warm fuzzy thoughts for you too!

Mom - I'm with J, I must be crazy, because I am having fun too.

First off, let me say, that this morning I didn’t want to go to the gym. We went last night & I was feeling sore from my cardio (and not stretching properly, bad me). I was going to go tomorrow. Well, I got to thinking that I wasn’t feeling too, too bad. Also, tomorrow I go in to work an hour earlier, so it would be more of a rush to go. I told myself I’d do my C25k, and that was it, because that would be all I had time for. And tomorrow, I would take my rest day.

I’m SOOOO glad I did. Week 5, Day 1 down the drain! I must have got that runner’s high, because I was feeling like Superwoman! Lol. I discovered 2 things…1) Once I got past the 1st 2 ½ minutes, I get my second wind. 2) When on the treadmill, and watching TV, I only look at my iPod thinking “when will this be over”, but when I look at the virtual track, I think “let me make it to the straightaway, etc.” Doing that, I managed to sprint the last 30 seconds of each 5 minute set. I was puffing like a whale at the end but, I got my breathing under control almost immediately. I love it! I actually am looking forward to day 2 to see if I can go the whole 8 minutes. I’ve surprised myself so far!

Another small victory for me this morning…weighed myself…I’m at 200! Mini-goal complete! 1 more pound and I’m down in one-derland! Tra la la. (Let me just say that I’m 5’11”, and my goal is 175).

And I’ve been paying more attention to the HRM on the machine. After running sets, my HR is usually around 175, but after the sprinting, I got it up to 186. Then while walking, it goes back down into the 160s or high 150s. My resting HR is usually pretty high too.