How much protein do you really need?

Options
Link: http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/how-much-protein-do-you-really-need-2523319/

greenpicks-955329762-1311019060.jpg?ym0QiWFDMAzV.lWG

Read this on yahoo...wondering what you all think?

By Sarah B. Weir and Lori Bongiorno
Posted Mon Aug 8, 2011 2:04pm PDT More from Green Picks blog

Guess how much protein is in a juicy, 8-ounce cheeseburger washed down with a milkshake? This single meal contains two to three times as much as most people need per day.

It’s no great surprise that Americans chow down on a lot of protein. We love beef and consume about 67 pounds per capita annually (that’s four times the international average). The popularity of low-carb regimes such as Atkins has also made meat the go-to food for dieters.

In fact, the average person eats about double the amount of protein that their body requires, according to the results of 2007-2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
How to fulfill your daily protein requirement

The human body uses protein to repair damaged cells and to build new ones. Marion Nestle, professor of nutrition at NYU and author of What to Eat, estimates that the average adult man needs about 65 grams of protein a day and the average adult female needs about 55 grams. Some sources, such as the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization say you can maintain a healthy diet with even less.

What does this actually mean in terms of food choices? The National Institutes of Health explains that most people can meet their daily protein requirement by eating two to three small servings of a protein-rich food a day.

Examples of a single serving of protein include:

1 egg
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
2-3 ounces of red meat, poultry, or fish (about the size of a deck of cards)
½ cup of cooked dried beans such as black beans or chickpeas

Whole grains, seeds, and some vegetables also contain protein, so consuming enough is not difficult even if you don’t eat meat. Vegetarians and vegans can easily get what they need by balancing complimentary proteins such as corn and beans or rice and tofu. Nutritionists used to recommend combining foods at the same meal, but research now shows that is unnecessary.
Are there drawbacks to eating more protein?

Eating large amounts of red and processed meats is associated with higher rates of heart disease and cancer, and most nutritionists such as Marion Nestle recommend cutting back on meat, especially on fatty cuts.

However, it’s less well known that your protein choices can have a substantial impact on the environment. Meat and dairy production requires tremendous amounts of fuel, pesticides, and chemical fertilizers, and generates greenhouse gases. The Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) recently published Meat Eater’s Guide points out that if you ate once less burger a week it would be the environmentally-positive equivalent of taking your car off the road for 320 miles.

Meat is also expensive. Not all proteins are created equal -- neither at the doctor’s office, nor the cash register. Here’s a comparison of three typical proteins:

Porterhouse steak
Serving size: 4 ounces
Protein: 22 grams
EWG carbon footprint rating: 2 nd worst out of 20 analyzed
Cost: 4 dollars
Fat: 22 grams
Saturated fat: 9 grams

Farm-raised salmon
Serving size: 4 ounces
Protein: 22 grams
EWG carbon footprint rating: 5th worst
Cost: 3 dollars
Fat: 10 grams
Saturated fat: 2 grams

Lentils
Serving size: 1 cup
Protein: 17.9 grams
EWG carbon footprint rating: best
Cost: 20 cents
Fat: zero
Saturated fat: zero

Many people find meat to be a delicious and satisfying component of their diet that they don’t want to sacrifice. But if you want to save money, eat a nutritionally sound diet, and are concerned about the impact meat and dairy production has on the planet, consider reducing your consumption.

Here are some tips from the EWG's Meat Eater’s Guide:

Reduce portion sizes by eating one less burger or steak each week, or participate in Meatless Mondays by skipping meat (and cheese if you can swing it) just one day a week.
Choose the healthiest protein sources when you can. Beans, low-fat yogurt, and nuts are all high in protein and low-impact.
When you do eat meat and cheese, eat the highest quality that you can afford. (One way to save money is to eat less, but better quality meat and dairy products.) Here’s a guide decoding the labels, from cage-free to grass-fed.
Don’t waste meat. Uneaten meat accounts for about 20 percent of meat’s greenhouse gas emissions.

You don’t have to become a vegetarian or go to other extremes. These small changes will help reduce your impact, while providing plenty of protein in your diet.

Replies

• Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This is so true. Nobody ever wants to listen to me because I'm vegan but people really don't need as much protein as they think they do. Plus its naturally found in a lot more foods than people realize. I'm up to 51 grams of protein so far today without even trying, and without any animal products.
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    As someone who lifts weights, going to keep eating protein to support the muscle I'm building.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I read this article earlier today and I was kind of annoyed with it. It doesn't specify under what circumstances that amount of protein would be appropriate. I think it depends on what your goals are... Maybe for someone who doesn't strength train/lift weights and isnt trying to lose or gain weight this would be appropriate to maintain the muscle they do have. I recently bought "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" written by Lou Schuler and Cassandra Forsythe and they recommend 1 to 2 grams per pound of body weight per day to help you maintain and repair/build your muscle when you are strength training. Also, if you are losing weight, some of the weight lost is muscle mass and you may need more protein than the article says to recover from that.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Protein is important for muscle regrowth, etc But I don't think it matters if you're getting it from nuts/lentils/etc or from an animal. As long as it's working for you that's fine. Not everyone needs copious amounts of protein but we do all need some. It helps keep me full and helps me to work out better.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    Aside from the environmental impacts of meat mentioned in the above article, it requires vast resources in the form of grains, land, and water to grow meat, many times more resources than those required for growing plants. We are currently growing enough food to feed 12 billion people at the very least. We currently have only 6.7 billion in the world, and yet millions of people go hungry each day, and many people, even children, starve to death each day. This is because rather than ending world hunger, most people would rather that abundant food supply be fed to the cows who are living miserable lives in their own excrement so that they can enjoy a "tasty" burger. I would rather live off of nothing but lentils and rice for the rest of my life than have to know what I'm doing not only to animals and the environment, but to people all over the world.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    There are many people who eat not only a vegan diet but a RAW vegan diet and are also athletes and body builders.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Protein is important, especially if you strength train and do cardio 5 or 6 days a week like i do, I think the message that link was trying to say is too many people are eating too much beef which is high in bad fats (saturated fat mostly and cholesterol) and are consuming too much to get protein...... protein is important, I take in about 100g a day from lean skinless chicken breasts/Turkey and fish and from veggies and take in the poly and mono (the good fats) I seldom eat beef and I think thats what they were trying to say
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Aside from the environmental impacts of meat mentioned in the above article, it requires vast resources in the form of grains, land, and water to grow meat, many times more resources than those required for growing plants. We are currently growing enough food to feed 12 billion people at the very least. We currently have only 6.7 billion in the world, and yet millions of people go hungry each day, and many people, even children, starve to death each day. This is because rather than ending world hunger, most people would rather that abundant food supply be fed to the cows who are living miserable lives in their own excrement so that they can enjoy a "tasty" burger. I would rather live off of nothing but lentils and rice for the rest of my life than have to know what I'm doing not only to animals and the environment, but to people all over the world.

Whoa, chill out there. No one on the thread attacked the vegan diet or even said that meat was a better source of protein over lentils, etc...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is so true. Nobody ever wants to listen to me because I'm vegan but people really don't need as much protein as they think they do. Plus its naturally found in a lot more foods than people realize. I'm up to 51 grams of protein so far today without even trying, and without any animal products.

I'd listen to you! But I already agree with you, so it would be preaching to the choir. :-)

Too much protein is actually quite unhealthy and people think they need way more than they do, even when strength training.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    agleckle, the article mentions the consumers belief in eating large quantities of meat for protein and the impacts which consuming large quantities of meat has on the earth. I was just sharing other facts about the impact of eating meat that I believe most people don't know. Until 10 months ago when I started reading about it, I didn't know either. There's nothing to chill out about.
    :)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    great article...i'll reference this when people give me the "oh, you cannot get enough protein" crap

i eat tons of cottage cheese and greek yogurt which is good for the environment also
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I always thought about 70 g protein daily.

:-)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

No the article is full of crap. Protein minimums are required, not optional not only for muscle building but to lose weight (burning fat instead of muscle). It's all part of hitting your macronutrient requirements.
  • joejccva71
    Options

Love how you bring starving children into this topic. Then you go on about the survivability of animals. Wow really?

There are many people who eat not only a vegan diet but a RAW vegan diet and are also athletes and body builders.

I know quite a few bodybuilders as well as IFBB bodybuilding competitors and almost every one of them eat some kind of meat to get their protein, and do not ONLY eat RAW veggies.

I would also be willing to bet that almost ALL players in the NFL eat some kind of meat, and don't get their protein from just veggies.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

No the article is full of crap. Protein minimums are required, not optional not only for muscle building but to lose weight (burning fat instead of muscle). It's all part of hitting your macronutrient requirements.

Nobody (including the article) said there weren't minimum amounts of protein needed, just that the average person consumes way more than they need.
  • joejccva71
    Options

Nobody (including the article) said there weren't minimum amounts of protein needed, just that the average person consumes way more than they need.

And actually the average person consumes way LESS protein than they need, and consume way MORE carbs than they need.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The problem with this is the very first line about a cheeseburger and milkshake.

Depending on where they got this form it could be more than most of us eat per day.

More protein is better!!!!!!!

Less fat, simple carbs and sodium.

Vegan and Non Vegan, same difference. Just get it where you like it!!!
  • champagne1962
    Options
    My dietician says I need 100-120 proteins a day.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I can't believe I didn't see this statement from the article:
    Eating large amounts of red and processed meats is associated with higher rates of heart disease and cancer, and most nutritionists such as Marion Nestle recommend cutting back on meat, especially on fatty cuts.

So untrue. Dietary cholesterol does not have anything to do with blood serum cholesterol.

Food is not even one of the proven causes of CVD and/or CHD.

1. Being morbidly obese and lack of exercise
    2. Smoking
    3. Diabetes
    4. Genetics

Just to name a few.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    A single burger and a milkshake is 2-3x more protein than the daily requirement.

I'll be generous and spot them a Whopper which contains about 30g of protein. A milkshake might (read: MIGHT) contain a whopping 20g of protein.

So 50g of protein is 2-3x more than most people need? Meaning the daily requirement is 15-25g of protein daily. Yeah, I'm going to call bs on this article.