How much protein do you really need?

Options

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Nitrogen balance techniques suggest that the protein requirements to attain zero nitrogen balance in those that engage in resistance training range from 1.2–2.2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight [1-6]. FYI: 1.2 grams per kg = 0.54 grams per pound and 2.2 grams per kg = 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.

Read the NIH studies I posted above.

People unqualified to properly interpret scientific studies are better off reading the recommendations of organizations such as the NIH, rather than picking individual studies to read.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002467.htm

How about reading the summary of 15 studies that I posted that was written by a highly qualified individual.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    She spent all that money on a college degree and she won't even read. Whats even more amusing is she copy and pasted a NIH study that only proves our point more.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Nitrogen balance techniques suggest that the protein requirements to attain zero nitrogen balance in those that engage in resistance training range from 1.2–2.2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight [1-6]. FYI: 1.2 grams per kg = 0.54 grams per pound and 2.2 grams per kg = 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.

I'm about to give on this discussion because not only do we have one of the usual suspects but we also have a new grad who thinks she knows everything.

Again, we have certain people here who spit in the face of real science because they have some agenda, in this case it's the vegan lifestyle apparently.

Yea I know. LOL. People think that just because they have a college degree that they know everything.

Amazing.

And there are people who think they know everything without any education at all.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Song if you actually read the ENTIRE study I posted it to show what the protein requirement was. Read it again.

You posted the abstract....are you telling me the information in the abstract doesn't match the information in the results?

Song lol. I assume you're a smart gal. Did you even READ IT?:
  • joejccva71
    Options

I'm about to give on this discussion because not only do we have one of the usual suspects but we also have a new grad who thinks she knows everything.

Again, we have certain people here who spit in the face of real science because they have some agenda, in this case it's the vegan lifestyle apparently.

Yea I know. LOL. People think that just because they have a college degree that they know everything.

Amazing.

And there are people who think they know everything without any education at all.

So explain what exactly you are insinuating?
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Hahaha Joe its ok. In the meantime ill go finish my 300 g of protein for today. Hahaha
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    She spent all that money on a college degree and she won't even read. Whats even more amusing is she copy and pasted a NIH study that only proves our point more.

No I didn't.

You copied and pasted those and I pulled the parts that explained the requirements...I haven't posted any studies. Also, I didn't spend any money. Full scholarship. I must be some kind of idiot savant. I guess I got my money's worth, huh? ;)
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Hahaha Joe its ok. In the meantime ill go finish my 300 g of protein for today. Hahaha

Man I give up. Trying to argue with someone on this site feels like last Friday when I leg pressed 700lbs. Alot of gd work.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Song if you actually read the ENTIRE study I posted it to show what the protein requirement was. Read it again.

You posted the abstract....are you telling me the information in the abstract doesn't match the information in the results?

Song lol. I assume you're a smart gal. Did you even READ IT?:

Obviously I read it if I took the time to extract the quotes. I didn't just copy and paste those sentences by happenstance.
  • joejccva71
    Options

No I didn't.

You copied and pasted those and I pulled the parts that explained the requirements...I haven't posted any studies. Also, I didn't spend any money. Full scholarship. I must be some kind of idiot savant. I guess I got my money's worth, huh? ;)

You're pretty proud of that scholarship huh? Did it come with a *****y attitude as well?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

People unqualified to properly interpret scientific studies are better off reading the recommendations of organizations such as the NIH, rather than picking individual studies to read.

How about reading the summary of 15 studies that I posted that was written by a highly qualified individual.

I glanced at it but didn't have time for it all right now. I will try to read it all later, but the key word for me here is still "individual". An individual study of other studies is still just one study. So, unless the leading health organizations change their recommendations based on this individual study then I won't think it has overwhelming medical significance when looked at in combination with other available evidence. As I said, I trust health organizations.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

No I didn't.

You're pretty proud of that scholarship huh? Did it come with a *****y attitude as well?

Of course I am. So far 6 years of school for free. That's pretty damn awesome. And I have a great attitude. You're just a special kind of guy that brings out the worse in me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options

Man I give up. Trying to argue with someone on this site feels like last Friday when I leg pressed 700lbs. Alot of gd work.
    And did you have a protein shake afterward followed by a balanced meal?:)
  • joejccva71
    Options

No I didn't.

Of course I am. So far 6 years of school for free. That's pretty damn awesome. And I have a great attitude. You're just a special kind of guy that brings out the worse in me.

Maybe you should invest stock in Kleenex. I hear they are on the rise. ;)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

I glanced at it but didn't have time for it all right now. I will try to read it all later, but the key word for me here is still "individual". An individual study of other studies is still just one study. So, unless the leading health organizations change their recommendations based on this individual study then I won't think it has overwhelming medical significance when looked at in combination with other available evidence. As I said, I trust health organizations.

Do you do this just to piss me off? Seriously, I said it was a summary of 15 STUDIES. It's not an indivual study for the love of Pete.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

No I didn't.

What is this I don't even.... is this a *kitten* joke? :huh:
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    This article is a crock -- Thanks but I'l lleave my goals at 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat....it works for me.
    Protein is not the devil here.... I easily get 100-150 a day and I need it.

There are a lot of ways to get protein without binging on a diet of pure red meat.
    I can see that would not be the healthiest option and I don't do that.

Now post all the articles about bad carbs and processed crap and I'll co-sign.
  • joejccva71
    Options

No I didn't.

What is this I don't even.... is this a *kitten* joke? :huh:

Is this a serious question? Are you trying to come onto me now? Please....you remind me of an ex gf.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    C'mon, no need for this....you guys aren't even all that far off on your disagreement. I think all three of you understand the benefits of supplementing your resistance training with MORE protein than mainstream science typically recommends.

As for some of the BCATTO-Science... now that's another story.. LOL
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Do you do this just to piss me off? Seriously, I said it was a summary of 15 STUDIES. It's not an indivual study for the love of Pete.

Who summarized?