Worst advice you've seen on these boards

Options

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!

Well usually because you start with the weight you can lift, and then move up as you gain more strength. Three pounds is lighter than five, five is lighter than 10, etc. And the sky is blue. What the heck does this have to do with your very wrong assertion that 10 pounds of fat is heavier than 10 pounds of mucsle? 10 pounds is STILL 10 pounds.

Flyntiggr, if a person can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper, then they should be able to pick up a 10lb dumbbell, right? After all 10lbs = 10lbs.

Some people that can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper, can't pick up a 10lb dumbbell. To them the dumbbell is heavy.

I know a lot of people on here are trying to make it seem as if I am stupid and they have to live with their opinion. But, I know that two things can weigh the same and one be heavier. Just like two people can weigh the same and one look smaller.

I have been lifting copying paper for years. It was nothing for me, but I had to work my way up to 10lb weights.

There is a difference between picking up a weight and exercising with one. I am sure that if you had attempted to pick up a 10lb dumbbell with both hands and walk with it, you would have been able to. Likewise, you would have probably had a difficult time doing curls with a 10lb ream of paper.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    *shares popcorn with everyone*

Thanks! Want some cheesecake? It's staring at me...

What kind?

Actually, its one that has all different kinds in the package: white chocolate raspberry swirl, turtle, chocolate swirl, and plain. I plan on putting it right back in the freezer unless you guys help me eat it!

Give me some, I'm starting to turn into an emotional eater.

Take it! But leave me a plain piece. Weirdly, that's my fave.

I'll take the turtle, but are nuts bad for me? They have so much fat!

But fat isn't as heavy as muscle so it doesn't count. I think.

I'm so very confused.

I think that's right. Fat doesn't fill up your stomach as much as muscle, and there's no muscle in cheesecake.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Some people that can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper, can't pick up a 10lb dumbbell. To them the dumbbell is heavy.

How much heavier? Can you quantify it? No? Then it's all in your head.
  • Heather75
    Options
    We are making progress!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!

Well usually because you start with the weight you can lift, and then move up as you gain more strength. Three pounds is lighter than five, five is lighter than 10, etc. And the sky is blue. What the heck does this have to do with your very wrong assertion that 10 pounds of fat is heavier than 10 pounds of mucsle? 10 pounds is STILL 10 pounds.

Flyntiggr, if a person can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper, then they should be able to pick up a 10lb dumbbell, right? After all 10lbs = 10lbs.

I know a lot of people on here are trying to make it seem as if I am stupid and they have to live with their opinion. But, I know that two things can weigh the same and one be heavier. Just like two people can weigh the same and one look smaller.

I have been lifting copying paper for years. It was nothing for me, but I had to work my way up to 10lb weights.

Probably because you used both hands to lift the paper and one to lift the 10lb weight........ now it makes sense

*face palm* ........................and we're done!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't say EITHER of those things! Both are wrong. Neither is heavier than the other BECAUSE they weigh the same! Dear lord.

Jorra, just because two things weigh the same, it doesn't mean that one will not be heavier than the next. You can't tell me that a 10 pound bag of rice will not be heavier than a 10 pound bag of feathers.

I wasn't going to post - but I find I must! A 10 lb bag of rice DOES weight as MUCH as a 10 lb bag of feathers. The rice will have less in the bag because it's more dense than feathers. To say it would be heavier would be like saying a 10 year old boy that is 4 fee tall weighing 100 lbs weighs less than a 100 lb woman who is 5'3" -
  • bry_all01
    Options

How much heavier? Can you quantify it? No? Then it's all in your head.

:heart: :heart: Taso...
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!

Look. You think you are right. None of us are going to change your mind, but you sure did provide us a crap-load of entertainment tonight in trying to prove an incorrect assumption. We've tried to use logic and science to explain the errors in your logic, to no avail. First off, a ream of paper weighs, on average, five pounds. Half of the 10 pound weight you couldn't lift. The fact that you are the ONLY one defending your argument should have been your first clue, but apparently it wasn't. I wish you luck in your weight loss, but do suggest that you become a little more open minded about things. There are 10-15 others on here that agree with what I've said, and we were all educated in different parts of the country. You'd think after awhile, you'd catch on that the majority is 'usually' correct.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh the ream of paper to make sure it actually weighs 10lb? The standard weight of a ream of copy paper is 5lb......

Maybe that could be why it feels lighter?

*ducks and covers*
  • Heather75
    Options
    Did you weigh the ream of paper to make sure it actually weighs 10lb? The standard weight of a ream of copy paper is 5lb......

*ducks and covers*

Now you've done it...
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!

Omg. Oh. My. God. Who brought a glass? No one? I'll be drinking my JD from the bottle.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    There, Happy ending! smiley-think004.gifsmiley-think007.gif
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    What happens when we get to 20 pages? Are we going to lose all of this? Please say no. I have got to see how it ends when I wake up in the morning.
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!

Omg. Oh. My. God. Who brought a glass? No one? I'll be drinking my JD from the bottle.

Sounds good. i will have some of that also.

she was double fisting the reams!!! 2 @ a time. it makes so much sense now. all is right with my world again.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    What happens when we get to 20 pages? Are we going to lose all of this? Please say no. I have got to see how it ends when I wake up in the morning.

Thread roll. The link to the new one will be at the bottom of page 20. Have no fear!
  • laureneva15
    Options
    and I thought the first pages were funny, since thsi debate i have been really laughing out loud... so much for my assignment getting done today!
  • bry_all01
    Options
    Holy Moly!

First of all, I would like to say that I originally responded very nicely. When you were rude to me, I decided to be a little more blatantly honest in my response and not hold back so much. But, in no way was I trying to make you look stupid. I was honestly trying to answer your question, because I am smart enough to know the answer. Secondly, I do wish you the very best in your weight loss journey. Good luck. God speed.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!

she was double fisting the reams!!! 2 @ a time. it makes so much sense now. all is right with my world again.

*passes the jack* you need a chaser? I might be able to find something...maybe. Or not.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

*ducks and covers*

Also, a ream of paper is 500 sheets. So, a ream of copy paper will weigh less than a ream of cover stock, even tho they both have 500 sheets.

Maybe I shouldn't even mention this...nope, I have to.
  • Ajbays10
    Ajbays10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!

Im still confused lol...