Atkins? Anyone?? Am I the only one doing this?I feel alone.

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Everyone just repeat after me:

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."

:heart: :heart:
  • idwoof
    idwoof Posts: 76
    Options
    also. i'd just like to throw this out there.. people aren't "MEAN!!!!" or "RUDE!!!" or "JUDGMENTAL!!" for stating facts.

atkins sucks. that's all there is to it.

it's an unhealthy unbalanced F A D diet . trust me, i know. sure it's great to lose 15 lbs of water weight in two weeks. yay!! but what'll happen once you can't handle it anymore? once you feel like eating some potatoes or black beans or a slice of whole wheat bread? you'll gain everything back.

depriving yourself of stuff you need to function, and especially exercise.. is a bit ridiculous. it's a sure way to fail and gain everything back. no ones being rude, no ones being "mean". ... stop getting so ****ing defensive over something so ridiculous.

I eat potatoes, I eat black beans, I eat whole wheat bread ..wanna know why? It's part of the Atkins On going weightloss (OWL) phase.
    86 lbs gone forever. I haven't gained it back.
    In every eating plan the people who don't work the plan will gain it back. Tell me one single eating plan "balanced" as you call it that you can stop and go back to your old eating habits and not gain back the weight.
    I eat whole grains, fruits, lean meats, healthy fats and I don't eat white sugar, white rice, white flour. Do I need those "processed" carbs? I don't take 7 meds any longer. Oh and it's been over 5 yrs. So ..what's wrong with me? Like every eating plan it takes some WANT TO and some WILL POWER.

There is no program you can go back to eating the way that made you overweight. But you can lose your weight and then up your calories so that you are eating the same as you are burning and maintain. No one claims that you can go back to being a binge eater on a balanced diet.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    also. i'd just like to throw this out there.. people aren't "MEAN!!!!" or "RUDE!!!" or "JUDGMENTAL!!" for stating facts.

it's an unhealthy unbalanced F A D diet . trust me, i know. sure it's great to lose 15 lbs of water weight in two weeks. yay!! but what'll happen once you can't handle it anymore? once you feel like eating some potatoes or black beans or a slice of whole wheat bread? you'll gain everything back.

depriving yourself of stuff you need to function, and especially exercise.. is a bit ridiculous. it's a sure way to fail and gain everything back. no ones being rude, no ones being "mean". ... stop getting so ****ing defensive over something so ridiculous.
    Dictionary.com defines "fad" as: a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., especially one followed enthusiastically by a group.

Note the word "temporary". Given that Atkins has been around for 35 years and is proven to work if you follow it correctly and continue the lifestyle, I'd hardly call that a "fad". It really irks me when I hear it called that. If you're going to bash Atkins, at least choose a word that actually defines it. I'll personally choose "healthy" and "sustainable" for starters because that's what it is to me.
  • Grokette
    Options

I eat potatoes, I eat black beans, I eat whole wheat bread ..wanna know why? It's part of the Atkins On going weightloss (OWL) phase.
    86 lbs gone forever. I haven't gained it back.
    In every eating plan the people who don't work the plan will gain it back. Tell me one single eating plan "balanced" as you call it that you can stop and go back to your old eating habits and not gain back the weight.
    I eat whole grains, fruits, lean meats, healthy fats and I don't eat white sugar, white rice, white flour. Do I need those "processed" carbs? I don't take 7 meds any longer. Oh and it's been over 5 yrs. So ..what's wrong with me? Like every eating plan it takes some WANT TO and some WILL POWER.

There is no program you can go back to eating the way that made you overweight. But you can lose your weight and then up your calories so that you are eating the same as you are burning and maintain. No one claims that you can go back to being a binge eater on a balanced diet.

Why not find a vegan topic and go tell them how unbalanced they are eating?????
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options

That actually made sense. I have upped my calories and my carbs and I'm still losing and when I get to goal I will re adjust whatever way I need to to maintain. Still doing Atkins. But, my question is if it doesn't work and it's not sustainable then am I a freak?? Or maybe...I follow the rules and I work the phases as directed and it works. As opposed to someone who reads the first chapter ..hears ...no carbs and then crashes after 2 weeks? ..they never did Atkins they did something else entirely. Those are the people who have polluted the information out there...just like a big fish story. If you read the book....you'd be really really surprised at all the lies out there about Atkins.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Could people actually read the book and do the research BEFORE commenting please!

Atkins girl for life!
  • Grokette
    Options
    Could people actually read the book and do the research BEFORE commenting please!

Atkins girl for life!

Its easier to go with the media hype than do actual research for oneself.........

Ignorance is bliss as they say. :grumble: :grumble:
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't do Atkins but I do high protein low carb. And I minimize fats, and the carbs I do eat are the complex ones. Its worked well for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    She didn't throw misinformed facts. I think it is well documented that a low carb diet is not a healthy lifestyle. It can work for short term dieting.

http://www.worldfitness.org/low-carb-diet-problems.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lowcarb.htm

Those are not medical sites. They are body building sites. Best to get medical information from medical organizations. It is possible to be healthy on an Atkins diet if you follow the plan. I couldn't do it because I'm not good at restriction, but as long as you follow the diet it's been medically proven to be safe for most people.
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ok we are talking about Atkins. NOT just some LOW CARB quick fix. If you are following Atkins you are cutting out white processed carbs. Who said anything about cutting out all carbs? That is not Atkins. I am currently eating up to 150 gms (usually 135) carbs a day and still losing. 86 lbs gone forever. Yes all weightloss can cure those illnesses. Some "diets" are easier than others some work for one set of people others work for another set. I ate 1200 calories a day for 6 months and never lost. I was on 7 meds. My Dr. told me about Atkins. I read the book number one! and I did what he said to do. Do I feel deprived when I can eat such good food? No I don't I haven't. I eat in moderation like any "diet" says to. I have my ups and downs. I am not perfect but I can tell you that after over 5 yrs. I for one say it's sustainable. If you do it right. If anyone says they are doing Atkins and are doing "no" carbs. then we aren't talking about the same eating plan. Your only restricted in the beginning. And oh yea Dr Atkins tells you to eat your veggies..those are carbs too :)

135 Carbs to me is not a balanced diet, unless your total calories for the day are around 1000 calories. I believe, along with most nutritionists that carbs should be around 60% of your daily calories. Not 30% or 40%. Carbs are not something to be afraid of, the first couple weeks you lose so much weight because you deplete all your glycogen, you gain all that weight back as soon as you start eating carbs again.

I'm all for a balanced diet but just as Adkins or even low-carb isn't right for every person, the FDA's suggested percentages for nutrients aren't either because it is based on a 2,000 calorie diet for an average weight person with no health issues but doesn't take into account other factors such as diabetes, PCOS, insulin-resistance, etc. The ADA (American Diabetes Association) recommends no more than 130 grams of carbs per day and for me, at the calorie level recommended for me here by MFP, that works out to between 25 and 30% for carbs.

For me, being insulin-resistant/pre-diabetic and recently finding out I have some possible thyroid issues as well, 60% of carbs in my diet a day is detrimental and makes my blood sugar spike. I tried eating according to the MFP default guidelines for a few days and my fasting blood sugar taken first thing in the morning ranged from 120-139 (ideal is anything below 100). On low-carb days (I shoot for 20-25% for carbs) my blood sugar ranges from the high 90's to low single-digit hundreds (101-109). As I continue to lose weight I hope to find that blood sugar is no longer an issue. The only way I'm able to keep it down is to keep my daily carb intake lower per my doctor's instructions as well as a nutritionist who specializes in diabetes who I was sent to. I'm not on Adkins, just trying to eat more veggies, good lean protein, healthy fats, and watch the carbs.
  • ahunkofmexican
    Options

Atkins girl for life!

YA WHAT SHE SAID, except Atkins guy for life.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Atkins Bashers, what is your issue with low-carb and Atkins? Why would you seek out a post like this, and proceed to bash the Atkins diet? The OP is following this diet, it's working for her, and she specifically said she is looking for like-minded friends. All of you mis-informed, nay-sayers who are stuck in 1980's conventional wisdom and unfounded lies, go back to your low-fat, calorie counting, high carb forums and leave us be!! The truth is, we've found a way to lose weight and be healthy that works for us, makes sense, and is backed up by research. I sort of think that people like you want in on our little secret, but you're too scared to veer from the traditional path, so your fear leads to bullying. People, you've been guinea pigs in a national experiment that is showing itself not to be healthy...this low-fat is good, saturated-fat-is-bad-for-you lie is now leading to type 2 diabetes in children, a national epidemic of obesity...you've been lied to!!! Wake up! The research is out there, go find the facts! If you're too scared/lazy/busy to do your research, at least leave the low-carbers alone to be with other low-carbers without all your hate-bashing and fear-mongering!

OK. I'm off my soap box. Now back to your regularly scheduled day...
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Atkins = so 5 yrs ago.
    I'm now on to cabbage and white wine vinegar...it's so much better for you.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a protein shake, no food, no water diet. I see black spots and tend to get some dizzy spells. Is that normal?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a protein shake, no food, no water diet. I see black spots and tend to get some dizzy spells. Is that normal?

yes. keep doing it.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Actual controlled comparison lasting one year comparing 4 differing diets.

Run by a practicing vegan, (yes vegan) who happens to be a PHD at Stanford, and not sponsored by drug companies, and adheres to ruthless scientific technique. Have fun trying to discredit the results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo&feature=player_embedded#!

Atkins had the greatest impact for reducing cardiac risk factors and won out on long term weight loss as well.

Note: The single statistical determinate of weight maintenance has been shown to be adherence to regular exercise once the weight is lossed, not choice of diet. This is also mentioned in passing in the video, but even with that said, the Atkins group won out.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

you need to spritz your shakes with windex first...then all will be well and you will be fine. you can lose like 10lbs a day doing that.

**oh and seeing black spots means it's working....the windex might burn your tongue a bit...that also means it's working. no worries!
  • bry_all01
    Options

you need to spritz your shakes with windex first...then all will be well and you will be fine. you can lose like 10lbs a day doing that.

**oh and seeing black spots means it's working....the windex might burn your tongue a bit...that also means it's working. no worries!

Oh good! I was looking to be down to 65 pounds by November! Or, do you think I could go smaller?
  • bry_all01
    Options

That's just the roofies. Dont fight them.... :drinker:

Doh! I knew you were spiking your nut butter shake you were feeding me with something even more awesome! I'm so lucky to have you spoon feed me.
  • bry_all01
    Options

yes. keep doing it.

Ok, good, becaise I was also going to push myself until I collapsed, but after the black spots, I figured I would consult with the people who know the most.