Atkins? Anyone?? Am I the only one doing this?I feel alone.

Options

Replies

• LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    She didn't throw misinformed facts. I think it is well documented that a low carb diet is not a healthy lifestyle. It can work for short term dieting.

http://www.worldfitness.org/low-carb-diet-problems.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lowcarb.htm

This is just not so. Go to you tube.com and look for the study from Stanford University comparing low fat to high fat diets. Atkins compared to other diets. Atkins wins hands down on every health marker that the PROFESSOR used for his research. He was not biased towards Atkins...he and his family are vegetarians. I think some people need to educate themselves a bit more. The old "dogma" is dead.
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Ok, your first link is about how low carb is better than low fat diets. I didn't argue that, it's not the 90's anymore SnackWells don't work. We know that.
    Then you go on to say how it helps diabetes and arthritis? And losing weight in any fashion doesn't help those diseases???
    And who said anything about eating white carbs, and processed sugar? I wouldn't consider those part of a healthy balanced diet, because they aren't healthy. There are carbs that aren't white, I hope you know that.
    For the few that have some allergy to carbs, or something that makes it so they shouldn't eat carbs, then fine. They obviously aren't included in this. But be honest, the majority of people on low carb diets are on them because they want to lose weight fast. Which is fine as I said in my first post. Just don't argue to me that it is a sustainable diet for the rest of your life. It is unhealthy in the long term, and most of all why would you punish yourself for the rest of your life and not eat good carbs?

i think you are misinformed about the Atkins diet; the diet does not forbid carbs! low carbs usually equals good carbs...good carbs are veggies...some carbs that are a little higher but also allowed are brown rice, wheat pasta, etc. i think you are referring to phase 1 of the diet, which is not meant to be sustained over more than 2 weeks. You really do have to educate yourself on the whole diet, not just phase 1, before you can form an opinion. it is a sustainable diet, a meal should consist of a meat, veggie, and a healthy carb. You really are eliminating processed foods and sugars. You are speaking in the form of extremity. No one, not even Dr. Atkins, expects you to sustain an extremely low carb level. I am beginning weight lifting and my trainer has recommended low carb and yes, for the rest of my life. It needs to be: Protein - 35%, Carbs - 30%,Fat 35..carbs are the lowest here, but as you can see, its not an extreme amount. Read the book and you will see that the Atkins diet is not asking you to not eat carbs, it essentially is detoxing you from your carb addiction (only 2 weeks of diet not for life) and then training your body to love good carbs to sustain for life.
  • LaJauna
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

This is the link for those who have an open mind and are willing to hear a "different voice" then the ones you have followed forever!
  • LaJauna
    Options
    Actual controlled comparison lasting one year comparing 4 differing diets.

Run by a practicing vegan, (yes vegan) who happens to be a PHD at Stanford, and not sponsored by drug companies, and adheres to ruthless scientific technique. Have fun trying to discredit the results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo&feature=player_embedded#!

Atkins had the greatest impact for reducing cardiac risk factors and won out on long term weight loss as well.

Note: The single statistical determinate of weight maintenance has been shown to be adherence to regular exercise once the weight is lossed, not choice of diet. This is also mentioned in passing in the video, but even with that said, the Atkins group won out.

Aaaaa, you beat me to it.
  • dietfree2012
    Options
    Ok we are talking about Atkins. NOT just some LOW CARB quick fix. If you are following Atkins you are cutting out white processed carbs. Who said anything about cutting out all carbs? That is not Atkins. I am currently eating up to 150 gms (usually 135) carbs a day and still losing. 86 lbs gone forever. Yes all weightloss can cure those illnesses. Some "diets" are easier than others some work for one set of people others work for another set. I ate 1200 calories a day for 6 months and never lost. I was on 7 meds. My Dr. told me about Atkins. I read the book number one! and I did what he said to do. Do I feel deprived when I can eat such good food? No I don't I haven't. I eat in moderation like any "diet" says to. I have my ups and downs. I am not perfect but I can tell you that after over 5 yrs. I for one say it's sustainable. If you do it right. If anyone says they are doing Atkins and are doing "no" carbs. then we aren't talking about the same eating plan. Your only restricted in the beginning. And oh yea Dr Atkins tells you to eat your veggies..those are carbs too :)

135 Carbs to me is not a balanced diet, unless your total calories for the day are around 1000 calories. I believe, along with most nutritionists that carbs should be around 60% of your daily calories. Not 30% or 40%. Carbs are not something to be afraid of, the first couple weeks you lose so much weight because you deplete all your glycogen, you gain all that weight back as soon as you start eating carbs again.

not true; 60% carbs is not a balanced diet.
  • dietfree2012
    Options
    also. i'd just like to throw this out there.. people aren't "MEAN!!!!" or "RUDE!!!" or "JUDGMENTAL!!" for stating facts.

atkins sucks. that's all there is to it.

it's an unhealthy unbalanced F A D diet . trust me, i know. sure it's great to lose 15 lbs of water weight in two weeks. yay!! but what'll happen once you can't handle it anymore? once you feel like eating some potatoes or black beans or a slice of whole wheat bread? you'll gain everything back.

depriving yourself of stuff you need to function, and especially exercise.. is a bit ridiculous. it's a sure way to fail and gain everything back. no ones being rude, no ones being "mean". ... stop getting so ****ing defensive over something so ridiculous.

are you eat back 1 potato or 20? and by the way you can eat a potato on atkins...if you go back to an unhealthy diet after any diet you will get fat, not just Atkins. What i find is that most opposers of a low carb lifestyle refer to Phase 1 of Atkins for knowledge..phase 1 is not for life...its even optional to skip; its a detox. OWL is a lifesytle and a healthy balance. Most people have to work up to this stage because they are used to potatoe chips and candy all their life. If you only eat good carbs and a balance diet, you probably wouldnt be trying to lose weight. The Atkins diet is to help to get to that poing and sustain. READ THE BOOK!!! You guys are misinformed!
  • dietfree2012
    Options
    this is nuts?!?! i will friend you OP; i eat 1750 calories, lift weights, and follow a low healthy carb diet...we can do this together...15 more pounds to my goal!!! wooohoooo!!! To all of the Atkins haters...im confused as to why you clicked this link? This isnt politics its a lifestyle change....READ THE BOOK, or dont and leave others alone about it geezzzzz!!!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Been doing this for 5+ years and if you've read the book..which I don't think a lot of the people who are "anti-Atkins" have..it really is a "ballanced" diet. I want one person to tell me why I need white sugar, white rice, white potatoes , white flour, and all the stuff made from these. I am almost to goal. I eat about 135 gm of carbs per day..good carbs. I have worked up the ladder like Dr. Atkins said to do. I am a success story. If I went back to eating the white carbs again. Yes I'd gain it back. But, why would I go back? I know several people who have done calorie counting, WW, and so many other "diets" who stopped and guess what?? They gained it back. So..maybe..the thought should be..Yes Atkins works..just like any eating plan it has to be a Way of LIFE not a "diet".

Read the book
    Work the carb ladder
    and don't give up.

I'm not for or against Attkins, but your post reminded me of this!
    You are so worth this.
    God Bless
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ok, your first link is about how low carb is better than low fat diets. I didn't argue that, it's not the 90's anymore SnackWells don't work. We know that.
    Then you go on to say how it helps diabetes and arthritis? And losing weight in any fashion doesn't help those diseases???
    And who said anything about eating white carbs, and processed sugar? I wouldn't consider those part of a healthy balanced diet, because they aren't healthy. There are carbs that aren't white, I hope you know that.
    For the few that have some allergy to carbs, or something that makes it so they shouldn't eat carbs, then fine. They obviously aren't included in this. But be honest, the majority of people on low carb diets are on them because they want to lose weight fast. Which is fine as I said in my first post. Just don't argue to me that it is a sustainable diet for the rest of your life. It is unhealthy in the long term, and most of all why would you punish yourself for the rest of your life and not eat good carbs?

i think you are misinformed about the Atkins diet; the diet does not forbid carbs! low carbs usually equals good carbs...good carbs are veggies...some carbs that are a little higher but also allowed are brown rice, wheat pasta, etc. i think you are referring to phase 1 of the diet, which is not meant to be sustained over more than 2 weeks. You really do have to educate yourself on the whole diet, not just phase 1, before you can form an opinion. it is a sustainable diet, a meal should consist of a meat, veggie, and a healthy carb. You really are eliminating processed foods and sugars. You are speaking in the form of extremity. No one, not even Dr. Atkins, expects you to sustain an extremely low carb level. I am beginning weight lifting and my trainer has recommended low carb and yes, for the rest of my life. It needs to be: Protein - 35%, Carbs - 30%,Fat 35..carbs are the lowest here, but as you can see, its not an extreme amount. Read the book and you will see that the Atkins diet is not asking you to not eat carbs, it essentially is detoxing you from your carb addiction (only 2 weeks of diet not for life) and then training your body to love good carbs to sustain for life.

Hey girl your speaking to a brick wall...................

Someone people can not be convinced even when the evidence slaps them in the face.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a protein shake, no food, no water diet. I see black spots and tend to get some dizzy spells. Is that normal?

yes. keep doing it.

Ok, good, becaise I was also going to push myself until I collapsed, but after the black spots, I figured I would consult with the people who know the most.

Why are you all invading this post with ignorance and non-sense just to be smart allecks??? Please go somewhere else with that rubbish.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i have also sent you a friend request op, i don't atkins but i do low carb, just frankly feel better without carbs.

this is all i am saying to this thread , if i wanted to argue with a child i would just go home.
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My GOD, people in this thread are crazy. OP, I'll friend you as well. I eat low carb with the occasional sweet treat snuck in, but other than that most of my carbs come from veggies, fruits, and the occasional serving of brown rice or something made with whole grains. I exercise 3-4 times a week, am within 10 lbs of my goal, and just got glowing health reviews from a doctor who is familiar with my family's frightening history with diabetes. Just ignore the people here who are completely misinformed, it's not your job to put up with their ignorance.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a protein shake, no food, no water diet. I see black spots and tend to get some dizzy spells. Is that normal?

yes. keep doing it.

Ok, good, becaise I was also going to push myself until I collapsed, but after the black spots, I figured I would consult with the people who know the most.

Why are you all invading this post with ignorance and non-sense just to be smart allecks??? Please go somewhere else with that rubbish.

Right. I forgot it is illegal.
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options

yes. keep doing it.

This is an incredibly immature way to behave in a forum where people are looking for information and support, especially for someone in their 30s. After reading through this whole thread, I didn't see you post anything constructive or informative. Don't you have better things to do than mistakenly and foolishly taunt strangers on the internet?
  • FairyMiss
    Options

yes. keep doing it.

yes your frivolous idiocy take away from all the serious idiocy
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The one problem I've always had with Adkin's is the elimination of carrots. I LOVE carrots. I know the reason for it, carrots have a high glycemic index and GI was the thing to measure food by at the time the diet was originated. But carrots actually have very little sugar and have a low glycemic load making them a really healthy addition to a low-carb diet. I saw mentioned on here that there was a new book. Does anyone know if the changes have to do with GI vs. GL?

Just curious.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    The one problem I've always had with Adkin's is the elimination of carrots. I LOVE carrots. I know the reason for it, carrots have a high glycemic index and GI was the thing to measure food by at the time the diet was originated. But carrots actually have very little sugar and have a low glycemic load making them a really healthy addition to a low-carb diet. I saw mentioned on here that there was a new book. Does anyone know if the changes have to do with GI vs. GL?

Just curious.

see and i like that fact, its one of only two veggies i WONT eat
  • FairyMiss
    Options

Just curious.

see and i like that fact, its one of only two veggies i WONT eat
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Just curious.
    Carrots are only off limits during the first two phases. By phase three, they're allowed again along with white potatoes, acorn squash and yams as well as beans, many fruits, pasta, brown rice and oatmeal.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Been doing this for 5+ years and if you've read the book..which I don't think a lot of the people who are "anti-Atkins" have..it really is a "ballanced" diet. I want one person to tell me why I need white sugar, white rice, white potatoes , white flour, and all the stuff made from these. I am almost to goal. I eat about 135 gm of carbs per day..good carbs. I have worked up the ladder like Dr. Atkins said to do. I am a success story. If I went back to eating the white carbs again. Yes I'd gain it back. But, why would I go back? I know several people who have done calorie counting, WW, and so many other "diets" who stopped and guess what?? They gained it back. So..maybe..the thought should be..Yes Atkins works..just like any eating plan it has to be a Way of LIFE not a "diet".

Read the book
    Work the carb ladder
    and don't give up.

You are so worth this.
    God Bless

Not for or against atkins, but was reminded of this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J4yyDcxBMA