Atkins? Anyone?? Am I the only one doing this?I feel alone.

Options

Replies

• SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    What? What does the amount of calories you are eating have to do with what you would eat??? You just have smaller portions, or larger portions. You eat clean food. Oatmeal, Whole wheat bread, Tuna sandwiches, turkey sandwiches, cottage cheese, eggs. anything you want.
    You act like it is crazy to think that a person eats 60% carbs, let me remind you that you are the minority here, most people would not find eating 30% carbohydrates enjoyable.

First of all :) I never once put down your way of eating. I only said that the way I eat isn't wrong. I asked you for a sample of a menu out of curiosity. The funniest part of this whole debate is that you just posted my menu. Do you know anything about Atkins or only what you've heard? It is 4 phases. The only phase that is limited drastically is the induction phase. That is 2 weeks long. Then you gradually add back the "healthy carbs" That YOU Mentioned in small increments to find your level of carb tolerance while still losing. I asked you about the 1400 cal diet because I wanted to know that if I am eating 10 to 15% carbs ..and it's exactly the same carbs you mentioned..whats wrong with what I am eating. I didn't say they way you eat is unhealthy ..when did I say that?? I said mine isn't. Eating plans work for the individual..not everyone. I was diabetic...I am no longer diabetic. My Dr said to cut carbs to 10 to 15%. period. It worked for me like your plan works for you..so whats wrong with it??
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Please explain to me what is unhealthy about eating the way I do?

I don't believe she ever said that. But there are no "magic" ratios that work for everyone. Some people do much much better on lower carbohydrate diets.

I also think it is very simplistic to act as though sheer macronutrient breakdown is the sole way of defining a balanced diet. (That's how you responded to the question -- with just macro percentages.) I could hit those targets eating pure processed junk or I could eat whole foods. Quality counts. I would venture to say that it counts more than some golden macro ratios.
  • idwoof
    idwoof Posts: 76
    Options
    I have said numerous times throughout this that I have no problem with the Atkins diet, the most important thing is that people lose wieght. But everyone got their feelings hurt because someone disaggreed with them and stopped reading what I was writing and just got defensive.
    From what I have read from the other posters is that even in the final phase you are still restricting carbs, and I just find that hard to sustain for a lifestyle.
  • SouLThinking
    Options

I don't believe she ever said that. But there are no "magic" ratios that work for everyone. Some people do much much better on lower carbohydrate diets.

I also think it is very simplistic to act as though sheer macronutrient breakdown is the sole way of defining a balanced diet. (That's how you responded to the question -- with just macro percentages.) I could hit those targets eating pure processed junk or I could eat whole foods. Quality counts. I would venture to say that it counts more than some golden macro ratios.

Exactly..It's "Your Mileage may vary"
    There is no 100% right diet for EVERYONE..but one thing I can say is with every healthy eating plan you have to have limits. If it works than how could it be wrong. I never once put another plan down. ..oh I'm sorry but I don't believe the 1800 cal little debbie plan could be good for anyone no matter how much you lose LOL.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For diabetics and pre-diabetics (like me), the ADA (American Diabetes Association) recommends no more than 130 grams of carbs per day. At the calorie level recommended for me here by MFP, that works out to a little over 25% for carbs, not the 60% recommended by MFP and the FDA. If I stuck to the "balanced" default of 60% from carbs, I'd be in more trouble than I already am.

Blanket statements can't be made without considering individual circumstances.

Yes, exactly. Any mass recommendations naturally would not be for those with disease. The FDA and USDA sets guidelines for an average healthy adult American. When you consider how many Americans there are, you should be able to easily see why they call them "guidelines' and not rules. If you have a disease, condition, syndrome, etc. that makes you not "an average healthy adult American" then you should talk to your doctor about what is healthy for you. How could there possibly be a "one size fits all" diet for all Americans?
  • SouLThinking
    Options
    I have said numerous times throughout this that I have no problem with the Atkins diet, the most important thing is that people lose wieght. But everyone got their feelings hurt because someone disaggreed with them and stopped reading what I was writing and just got defensive.
    From what I have read from the other posters is that even in the final phase you are still restricting carbs, and I just find that hard to sustain for a lifestyle.

Ok, I am eating what your eating I am just not eating as much as you do. So, what's wrong with the way I eat. You said in a previous post that I am not eating a balanced diet. Explain that. What is unbalanced about eating Whole grains, lean meats, and good fats. What is wrong with fruits? I am off 7 meds. I have sustained 86 lb weight loss. I need to know why you said in a previous post that is still on this board ..that my 135 to 150 gm carbs per day eating is not "balanced". My feelings are not "hurt" LOL I'm smiling..you can' t see it I realize that. I am a analytical thinker and want to understand ..your point of view as to why you said to me..my eating plan is unhealthy or unbalanced...when I never said that about yours.
  • idwoof
    Options

There is no 100% right diet for EVERYONE..but one thing I can say is with every healthy eating plan you have to have limits. If it works than how could it be wrong. I never once put another plan down. ..oh I'm sorry but I don't believe the 1800 cal little debbie plan could be good for anyone no matter how much you lose LOL.

Well I disagree. The twinkie diet??? The man who did it got quite a bit healthier. Read this article. Its funny that you say little debbies because he included those in his diet.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • questionablemethods
    Options

Well I disagree. The twinkie diet??? The man who did it got quite a bit healthier. Read this article. Its funny that you say little debbies because he included those in his diet.

Losing weight by calorie counting (even crap calories) is one thing (and yes, I know that his biomarkers improved, as they often do with weight loss). I'd like to see him in 20 years if that is how he eats.

If Twinkies are good for us, then why did you only cite so-called "clean" foods earlier? Clearly you are making some quality choices.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Some people smoke and live to a ripe old age. That doesn't make smoking good for you.
  • SouLThinking
    Options

since I can't see you or hear your tone I have to ask are you serious? LOL, because what he ate definitely isn't the percentages you posted earlier that were the only balanced diet out there. LOL If you have already replied sorry. But also if you haven't are you changing the subject or are you going to reply to my question about my eating plan?

OH and just in case you've changed your mind about your earlier post with the percentages and your saying his way of eating with the twinkie diet is balanced...do you think he'll gain it back when he "goes off" the diet.

OH and you do realize that if you do Atkins the correct way it's for life. You don't go off or you just did that on your own.
    Please take the time to think about what you said you ate everyday and what I eat. And tell me what's unhealthy about what I eat.
  • markoholl
    Options
    You are not alone. I'm doing Atkins also. But I'm also watching my calories.
  • idwoof
    Options
    What I ultimately had a problem with Atkins was that I can't see people eating that way forever. Just as eating 1500 calories of Twinkies forever wouldn't be very filling and would be hard to maintain a low calorie diet on them. If you are willing to eat the way you do and it works for you then more power to you, but I think you are in the minority. I think most people give up on it.
  • tmkent
    tmkent Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Atkins is a fine wgt management program. I've been on it for about 3 weeks and it is true that after you follow it for 2 weeks on phase 1 you will feel better and you will not be hungry. Just got back from vacation and I lost 2lbs. That has never happended to me before. I could always count on gaining at least 5 lb on vacation. But I wasn't hungry and was very satisfied to continue to follow Atkins. Go for it, I say if it is working for you that's what is important. Follow the book and as you add a few of the good carbs you'll find that you will still lose maybe not as fast but you will lose. Good luck
  • SouLThinking
    Options
    What I ultimately had a problem with Atkins was that I can't see people eating that way forever. Just as eating 1500 calories of Twinkies forever wouldn't be very filling and would be hard to maintain a low calorie diet on them. If you are willing to eat the way you do and it works for you then more power to you, but I think you are in the minority. I think most people give up on it.

I understand..I actually agree that if a person tries to eat at the induction level forever...hahahaha good luck it will be hard. But, if you are doing Atkins..your not supposed to stay at the induction level that long. You are supposed to work that ladder. Why because even if you lost all your weight you'd have to maintain and you have to add carbs back in to maintain. So thanks. But also, most people give up on diets period that is why the world is so FAT. right??
  • questionablemethods
    Options

What you don't seem to be grasping is that as people move through the phases, they might very well end up on a maintenance diet that has the exact macro nutrient breakdown as you stated above! (Though they have likely discovered that certain carbs cause them to crave more while others--like the oatmeal or whatever, do not.)
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

What you don't seem to be grasping is that as people move through the phases, they might very well end up on a maintenance diet that has the exact macro nutrient breakdown as you stated above! (Though they have likely discovered that certain carbs cause them to crave more while others--like the oatmeal or whatever, do not.)

No, what he's not grasping is that she eats the exact same foods as him, and he is still saying that she is eating unbalanced and unhealthy, because her diet has "Atkins" in front of it. LOL
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options

While you may find it unpleasant or can't imagine limiting yourself to 30% total carbs that just isn't true for everyone. Why is it so difficult for you to understand that it isn't true for everyone. You seem remarkably defensive on this topic. Please listen and accept the fact that people are different. Some people have diabetes and found low serb stabilizes them. This is true and has to do worth the effects of carbs on insulin resistance. And I am willing to bet, though research is limited, that some purple have undiagnosed grain intolerance and allergies and that is why they do so well. A large percentage of the population has various grass and other plant life and seasonal type allergies, and there is a such thing as cross reactive allergies. It isn't common but it is very real. People are just different. If I had to make my guess about you, I would suggest you may be insulin sensitive
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

She has been on Atkins for over 9 years! No one can maintain?????????????

http://www.sugarfreesheila.com/
  • lvmcdonald
    lvmcdonald Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Atkins is awesome, but you have to make sure you monitor your fat intake!!! The old Atkins doesn't care about fat which is ok for males, but NOT females. The first two weeks of no carbs is great, but make sure that you incorporate complex carbs in the am or early afternoon into your diet after slowly. To continue losing weight healthily you want to add complex carbs and low fat after the first two weeks. Optimally in early morning and afternoon. Eat a high protein, low fat diet for evening meals within a few hours before bedtime. Good luck!!! Laura
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Atkins is awesome, but you have to make sure you monitor your fat intake!!! The old Atkins doesn't care about fat which is ok for males, but NOT females. The first two weeks of no carbs is great, but make sure that you incorporate complex carbs in the am or early afternoon into your diet after slowly. To continue losing weight healthily you want to add complex carbs and low fat after the first two weeks. Optimally in early morning and afternoon. Eat a high protein, low fat diet for evening meals within a few hours before bedtime. Good luck!!! Laura

Why on earth would you want to try to do low fat when there are proven benefits to replacing carbs with fats, especially unsaturated fats. Granted many people would not enjoy eating high as fat as I do, but low fat and low carb together would make no sense. Most people really can't do forty percent plus protein.