Atkins? Anyone?? Am I the only one doing this?I feel alone.

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    The one problem I've always had with Adkin's is the elimination of carrots. I LOVE carrots. I know the reason for it, carrots have a high glycemic index and GI was the thing to measure food by at the time the diet was originated. But carrots actually have very little sugar and have a low glycemic load making them a really healthy addition to a low-carb diet. I saw mentioned on here that there was a new book. Does anyone know if the changes have to do with GI vs. GL?

Just curious.

I ate carrots when I was on Atkins. You actually add them in when you transition from Induction (Phase 1) over to OWL (phase 2).

There are NO fruits or vegetables that are totally eliminated from Atkins. Everything is added back in, in a proper order according to the glycemic index.

Have you actually read the book or just going off random things you have read on the internet here and there????
  • Grokette
    Options
    The USDA and FDA have not recommended a low fat diet since the 1980's. And the was based on research available at the time.

Excuse me - low SATURATED fat diet / high carb. And yes, 50-60% carb is too high. Anyone who has done the proper research would agree.

Prevailing medical evidence shows that for most people a diet low in saturated fat is healthiest.

No, it doesn't. Saturated fats are proven to protect the heart against CHD and raise HDL cholesterol.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Thats because ATkins isnt a healthy diet to follow. Works for weight loss yes....for long term health. no.

I wonder why I am so healthy now. I wonder why I don't take 7 meds (3 blood pressure, 1 fluid, and 3 anxiety/ depression) meds. I wonder why it's been over 5 yrs and I haven't gained it back..hmmm.

I wonder if anyone can tell me that they have actually read the book? and then say it's not healthy. NO I don't think so.

Just because someone loses weight does not mean they are healthy nutrition wise. And remember that Dr. Atkins died of a heart attack.

STOP this right now. Dr Atkins did not die of a heart attack. he slipped on the ice and succombed from the fall.

If you are going to contribute to a thread that you obviously don't agree with, get your facts straight. Don't come in here spewing your inuindo and hate.
    Dr. Robert Atkins, creator of the high-protein, low-carbohydrate Atkins Diet, died Thursday after an accidental fall on April 8 left him comatose.

Atkins, 72, was rushed to New York Weill Cornell Medical Center by his colleague, Dr. Keith Berkowitz, where surgeons removed a blood clot to relieve pressure in his brain on April 9.

Atkins slipped on an icy sidewalk outside his New York office.

"We are hoping for a miracle," Richard Rothstein, a spokesman for Atkins told CNN April 11, "but the chances for a meaningful recovery are slim.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The one problem I've always had with Adkin's is the elimination of carrots. I LOVE carrots. I know the reason for it, carrots have a high glycemic index and GI was the thing to measure food by at the time the diet was originated. But carrots actually have very little sugar and have a low glycemic load making them a really healthy addition to a low-carb diet. I saw mentioned on here that there was a new book. Does anyone know if the changes have to do with GI vs. GL?

Just curious.

I ate carrots when I was on Atkins. You actually add them in when you transition from Induction (Phase 1) over to OWL (phase 2).

There are NO fruits or vegetables that are totally eliminated from Atkins. Everything is added back in, in a proper order according to the glycemic index.

Have you actually read the book or just going off random things you have read on the internet here and there????

I haven't read the book because I love carbs. As I posted earlier the carrot thing was based on info from a friend who was doing Adkins years ago when it was new. She had the book and said she read it (or was reading it). She didn't stick with it long and gained the weight back. I do not believe that had anything to do with Adkins, She's done the same with other diets.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The USDA and FDA have not recommended a low fat diet since the 1980's. And the was based on research available at the time.

Excuse me - low SATURATED fat diet / high carb. And yes, 50-60% carb is too high. Anyone who has done the proper research would agree.

Prevailing medical evidence shows that for most people a diet low in saturated fat is healthiest.

No, it doesn't. Saturated fats are proven to protect the heart against CHD and raise HDL cholesterol.

Blanket statements like that are silly. Not all saturated fats are alike. Some are good, some are bad.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Hell no! I did Atkins for 6-9mos a few years ago and it resulted in me getting gallstones! That is what my doctor attributed them to!
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thats because ATkins isnt a healthy diet to follow. Works for weight loss yes....for long term health. no.

I wonder why I am so healthy now. I wonder why I don't take 7 meds (3 blood pressure, 1 fluid, and 3 anxiety/ depression) meds. I wonder why it's been over 5 yrs and I haven't gained it back..hmmm.

I wonder if anyone can tell me that they have actually read the book? and then say it's not healthy. NO I don't think so.

Just because someone loses weight does not mean they are healthy nutrition wise. And remember that Dr. Atkins died of a heart attack.

Oh jeez. Remember that he didn't actually die of a heart attack, kids.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Oh jeez. Remember that he didn't actually die of a heart attack, kids.

Didn't Atkins die because he slipped and hit his head from a patch of Ice?

PS - I'm not an Atkins dieter, I have read the book and have been on the diet. The diet isn't 20 net carbs a day for life (which seems to be the most common misconception.) After the Induction phase, carbs are gradually re-introduced into your diet until you find a "Reasonable" level at which to lose weight and then later maintain it. The biggest issue most people have is they see the big drop at the beginning and then try to maintain that big loss by limiting their carbs to the 20 net carbs a day. While I know several that can maintain this lifestyle, most can not and typically relapse or give up and go back to their old ways.

I'm not on Atkins because It's not effective for me, although I do try to limit my carbs to 100-150 per day. However, I'm all for anyone who actually follows it properly... it really isn't nearly as unbalanced as people seem to think once you get into the 2nd and 3rd phases.
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    also. i'd just like to throw this out there.. people aren't "MEAN!!!!" or "RUDE!!!" or "JUDGMENTAL!!" for stating facts.

atkins sucks. that's all there is to it.

it's an unhealthy unbalanced F A D diet . trust me, i know. sure it's great to lose 15 lbs of water weight in two weeks. yay!! but what'll happen once you can't handle it anymore? once you feel like eating some potatoes or black beans or a slice of whole wheat bread? you'll gain everything back.

depriving yourself of stuff you need to function, and especially exercise.. is a bit ridiculous. it's a sure way to fail and gain everything back. no ones being rude, no ones being "mean". ... stop getting so ****ing defensive over something so ridiculous.

This is ignorance. This is discussion based on people's genuine belief in what good nutrition is and is not. There are people giving you their life stories as proof.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    also. i'd just like to throw this out there.. people aren't "MEAN!!!!" or "RUDE!!!" or "JUDGMENTAL!!" for stating facts.

atkins sucks. that's all there is to it.

it's an unhealthy unbalanced F A D diet . trust me, i know. sure it's great to lose 15 lbs of water weight in two weeks. yay!! but what'll happen once you can't handle it anymore? once you feel like eating some potatoes or black beans or a slice of whole wheat bread? you'll gain everything back.

depriving yourself of stuff you need to function, and especially exercise.. is a bit ridiculous. it's a sure way to fail and gain everything back. no ones being rude, no ones being "mean". ... stop getting so ****ing defensive over something so ridiculous.

this has to be about the least factual post in this thread. one arrogant persons opinion
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Once again for the ones who want to be intelligent contributors to this discussion... PLEASE go and watch this video from a vegan professor at Stanford Medical School. It is a one year study comparing Atkins diet to Low fat diets such as The Ornish Diet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo&feature=player_embedded#!
  • idwoof
    idwoof Posts: 76
    Options
    So I should watch a video that shows one unbalanced diet against another unbalanced diet? I'm tired of seeing that as the reason low carb is healthy "it's healthier than low fat". No one is saying that and if they are it is a completely different argument. A balanced diet is the way to go.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    So I should watch a video that shows one unbalanced diet against another unbalanced diet? I'm tired of seeing that as the reason low carb is healthy "it's healthier than low fat". No one is saying that and if they are it is a completely different argument. A balanced diet is the way to go.

Actually, it compares 4 diets. If by balanced, you mean the Standard American Diet pyramid, with the grains at the bottom, then yes, it compares that one with Atkins, Ornish, South Beach (I think that's the 4 diets).
  • ash12783
    ash12783 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i agree low carb eating is not exactly balanced, but people who oppose the diet usually tend to think low carbers are stuffing themselves with bacon, cheese, mayo, etc.... that is unhealthy. For me, when i'm eating low carb I'm eating much healthier food than if i was eating normally. Now my diet includes salad all the time, with grilled chicken and yes SOME cheese. I eat a lot of vegetables and seafood, and a lot of chicken and turkey...there's no more fast food at all, no sugar, no breads (atleast white ones)...no more cravings and hunger pangs as my blood sugar stays level, and i'm drinking soooo much more water than i normally do. yes there are those who may think it's a licence to eat all the bacon, cheese, and cream you want but that's not me and not healthy. atkins the healthy way is awesome! :)
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For diabetics and pre-diabetics (like me), the ADA (American Diabetes Association) recommends no more than 130 grams of carbs per day. At the calorie level recommended for me here by MFP, that works out to a little over 25% for carbs, not the 60% recommended by MFP and the FDA. If I stuck to the "balanced" default of 60% from carbs, I'd be in more trouble than I already am.

Blanket statements can't be made without considering individual circumstances.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Ok, you've said this numerous time.
    Define your 'idea' of a balanced diet...

give a menu. lets see.
    can you?
  • idwoof
    Options
    Around 50-60% carbs, 25-30% Proteins, 10-15% Fats. Heavier on the protein if you are working out hard, but if you are working out hard, you should also be adding carbs to your diet, so it evens out a little bit.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ok, so 50-60% carbs on a 1400 cal diet. What would a person eat??
  • idwoof
    Options
    What? What does the amount of calories you are eating have to do with what you would eat??? You just have smaller portions, or larger portions. You eat clean food. Oatmeal, Whole wheat bread, Tuna sandwiches, turkey sandwiches, cottage cheese, eggs. anything you want.
    You act like it is crazy to think that a person eats 60% carbs, let me remind you that you are the minority here, most people would not find eating 30% carbohydrates enjoyable.
  • idwoof
    Options
    Please explain to me what is unhealthy about eating the way I do?