Atkins? Anyone?? Am I the only one doing this?I feel alone.

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Atkins is awesome, but you have to make sure you monitor your fat intake!!! The old Atkins doesn't care about fat which is ok for males, but NOT females. The first two weeks of no carbs is great, but make sure that you incorporate complex carbs in the am or early afternoon into your diet after slowly. To continue losing weight healthily you want to add complex carbs and low fat after the first two weeks. Optimally in early morning and afternoon. Eat a high protein, low fat diet for evening meals within a few hours before bedtime. Good luck!!! Laura

Why on earth would you want to try to do low fat when there are proven benefits to replacing carbs with fats, especially unsaturated fats. Granted many people would not enjoy eating high as fat as I do, but low fat and low carb together would make no sense. Most people really can't do forty percent plus protein.

Saturated fats are good for us too.

I never understood why people want to torture themselves with low fat and low carb..................The whole science behind low carb is to replace the carbs with fats so that you have a feeling of satiety, level out blood sugar and insulin, and fats give you energy.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Atkins is awesome, but you have to make sure you monitor your fat intake!!! The old Atkins doesn't care about fat which is ok for males, but NOT females. The first two weeks of no carbs is great, but make sure that you incorporate complex carbs in the am or early afternoon into your diet after slowly. To continue losing weight healthily you want to add complex carbs and low fat after the first two weeks. Optimally in early morning and afternoon. Eat a high protein, low fat diet for evening meals within a few hours before bedtime. Good luck!!! Laura

Actually eating more fat for a female is just as imporant if not more important than it is for a male.

Adequate fat intake regulates the hormones in the body and gives the feeling of satiety which prevents you from overeating.

What you are talking about is NOT Atkins in no shape, form or fashion. What you are talking about it some made up plan that should not be even associated with Atkins in the least.

Too much protein is converted to glucose which can also cause a blood sugar response - not good for someone that is hypo-glycemic, diabetic or insulin resistant.

Atkins is based on HIGH fat, MODERATE protein and low carb in the beginning with it balancing out to moderate fat, moderate protein and moderate carb intake by the time you reach maintenance phase. Atkins naturally balances out from the high fat, low carb to moderate on fat, carbs and proteins as you move up the carb ladder and start adding in more carbs.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    True enough, but too much of even a good thing is bad. And it is very easy to get saturated fats, not so easy to get unsaturated, particularly omega 3. For me, I try to limit saturated fats to 15% or less of total calories, because that is where my cholesterol likes me to be.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    What? What does the amount of calories you are eating have to do with what you would eat??? You just have smaller portions, or larger portions. You eat clean food. Oatmeal, Whole wheat bread, Tuna sandwiches, turkey sandwiches, cottage cheese, eggs. anything you want.
    You act like it is crazy to think that a person eats 60% carbs, let me remind you that you are the minority here, most people would not find eating 30% carbohydrates enjoyable.

Dude...you should really research what "clean" food means. Oatmeal=processed, whole wheat bread=processed, deli turkey=waaay processed.
  • idwoof
    idwoof Posts: 76
    Options
    What? What does the amount of calories you are eating have to do with what you would eat??? You just have smaller portions, or larger portions. You eat clean food. Oatmeal, Whole wheat bread, Tuna sandwiches, turkey sandwiches, cottage cheese, eggs. anything you want.
    You act like it is crazy to think that a person eats 60% carbs, let me remind you that you are the minority here, most people would not find eating 30% carbohydrates enjoyable.

Dude...you should really research what "clean" food means. Oatmeal=processed, whole wheat bread=processed, deli turkey=waaay processed.

Ok, first off. This is not the first time this has happened but why the heck does everyone call me dude? Is it because I'm young? Don't. Don't call me dude. If i called you Girl or chick that would be disrespectful. I don't disrespect you so don't disrespect me.
    Second. Instant oatmeal is proccesed but I dont eat that. Oatmeal isn't as much and nothing is added so the processed doesn't matter. Whole wheat bread, if it is 100% whole wheat and nothing is added then the processing doesn't really matter.
    I'm not going to go vegan, there are so many delicous foods nowadays I think it would be stupid to deprive myself.
    Europeans eat tons of processed foods, but as a whole are much healthier, because they are not overweight. I think that is the most important thing.
    And I think you are mistaken because the majority of people would consider 100% whole wheat bread, and stone cut oatmeal "clean eating"
  • idwoof
    idwoof Posts: 76
    Options
    And when did I say anything about Deli Turkey?
  • hsnider29
    Options

Did not mean to disrespect you. It was not my intention at all. I actually have no idea how old you are. I think it that if your lifestyle is working for you that is great. I don't think you came on this thread to help the OP. You obviously feel passionately about your macro ratios but for a lot of people, they just don't work.

Bodybuilding websites are not peer reviewed evidence and hold no water with most people. There are much better sites that you could have recommended. The human body doesn't need grains to survive, I don't care how you dice it. If your saying to eat 60% of your carbs in fruits and veggies, then that I could agree with, but not grains.

It wouldn't offend me at all if you called me chick or girl. I'm not easily offended, but I do apologize that I offended you.

Please do more research on a particular diet or lifestyle before giving misinformation or avoid a thread all together if it isn't a way of life you support.

Ok, first off. This is not the first time this has happened but why the heck does everyone call me dude? Is it because I'm young? Don't. Don't call me dude. If i called you Girl or chick that would be disrespectful. I don't disrespect you so don't disrespect me.
    Second. Instant oatmeal is proccesed but I dont eat that. Oatmeal isn't as much and nothing is added so the processed doesn't matter. Whole wheat bread, if it is 100% whole wheat and nothing is added then the processing doesn't really matter.
    I'm not going to go vegan, there are so many delicous foods nowadays I think it would be stupid to deprive myself.
    Europeans eat tons of processed foods, but as a whole are much healthier, because they are not overweight. I think that is the most important thing.
    And I think you are mistaken because the majority of people would consider 100% whole wheat bread, and stone cut oatmeal "clean eating"
  • hsnider29
    Options
    Ok I'm not sure how I did that but my response to you is in the middle of what I quoted.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

. If i called you Girl or chick that would be disrespectful.

heh personally at my age thi would not offend me but probably thrill me LOL
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    She didn't throw misinformed facts. I think it is well documented that a low carb diet is not a healthy lifestyle. It can work for short term dieting.

http://www.worldfitness.org/low-carb-diet-problems.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lowcarb.htm

I'm sorry.

This passes for well documented?

Opinion editorials?

And a note to the rest of the atkins bashers.

I do not do Atkins but it is SOUND.

Atkins, beyond phase 1 induction which is the first two weeks of the rest of your life is indeed very low carb of any kind. Two weeks is NOT going to hurt anyone.

Beyond that you steadily increase using REAL carbs, not bogus starch carbs like breads, until you find out the perfect amount for YOU. Each person is taught to experiment and find what is right for them.

Now, how is that unhealthy? Teaching people to discover the right balance through small changes in diet over time until they reach a healthy, maintainable diet for their individual life?

Recognize the anti-Atkins propoganda imagery of a lifetime of KFC for what it is, a smear campaign. Atkins would agree that is completely unhealthy!!! Not to mention KFC is battered in starch and is NOT LOW CARB!!!

The truth and method of it is VERY different. If you end up at 100 grams of carbs a day which many exceed, it ends up being a WHOLE BUNCH of fresh raw vegetables.

I have, in this entire conversation, not seen one person dump on Atkins that actually seems to understand the goals of Atkins. It is not about eliminating carbs.

It is about finding the right amount of carbs for your OWN body. You induct, you go to very low carbs for 2 weeks as a STARTING POINT, and work up from there until you find your own personal perfect point. This is a very scientific and reasonable approach to finding what works for YOU.

Pretty much everyone here in this thread that said they could not do Atkins, did not follow the steps of steady progression of carb levels. In essence, they did not actually follow Atkins, they simply quit Atkins because it sucked at first.
  • 8rules
    Options
    Been doing this for 5+ years and if you've read the book..which I don't think a lot of the people who are "anti-Atkins" have..it really is a "ballanced" diet. I want one person to tell me why I need white sugar, white rice, white potatoes , white flour, and all the stuff made from these. I am almost to goal. I eat about 135 gm of carbs per day..good carbs. I have worked up the ladder like Dr. Atkins said to do. I am a success story. If I went back to eating the white carbs again. Yes I'd gain it back. But, why would I go back? I know several people who have done calorie counting, WW, and so many other "diets" who stopped and guess what?? They gained it back. So..maybe..the thought should be..Yes Atkins works..just like any eating plan it has to be a Way of LIFE not a "diet".

Read the book
    Work the carb ladder
    and don't give up.

I'm not for or against Attkins, but your post reminded me of this!
    You are so worth this.
    God Bless

Awesome

135 grams a day of healthy vegetable and fruit based carbs. Stack that much on one plate and tell that is not enough for anyone? He worked Atkins properly and is enjoying good healty carbs from God's oven rather than a factory, using grain that humans could not even digest without mechanical intervention.

Well done whoever wrote this. Inspiring to see someone institute such a long lasting life change!
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Awesome

135 grams a day of healthy vegetable and fruit based carbs. Stack that much on one plate and tell that is not enough for anyone? He worked Atkins properly and is enjoying good healty carbs from God's oven rather than a factory, using grain that humans could not even digest without mechanical intervention.

Well done whoever wrote this. Inspiring to see someone institute such a long lasting life change!

Thanks..it was me. I have learned so much about what certain foods do to my body. I am not perfect but have come so far and really owe so much to low carb. Almost to goal! I can't wait!
  • 8rules
    Options
    Awesome

Thanks..it was me. I have learned so much about what certain foods do to my body. I am not perfect but have come so far and really owe so much to low carb. Almost to goal! I can't wait!

That's great! Good job!

Again I do not follow Atkins but I find it sound. You cut out pretty much all carbs, and added in healthy ones a bit at a time until you found the right amount for you.

I am still wondering why anyone would consider that an unhealthy approach.

From what I see people have this idea you are induction forever on Atkins, when really it is only a few weeks.

And I think people in general suffer from an idea that without starchy grains we do not get carbs.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Awesome

That's great! Good job!

Again I do not follow Atkins but I find it sound. You cut out pretty much all carbs, and added in healthy ones a bit at a time until you found the right amount for you.

From what I see people have this idea you are induction forever on Atkins, when really it is only a few weeks.

And I think people in general suffer from an idea that without starchy grains we do not get carbs.

You can follow Induction for a while, as long as you're still losing weight, feel energetic, have a significant amount of weight to lose and are not bored with the food. I've been at 20 g's a day since February, and I've never felt better! I don't intend to climb the carb ladder until I'm closer to my goal weight.
  • 8rules
    Options
    Awesome

That's great! Good job!

You can follow Induction for a while, as long as you're still losing weight, feel energetic, have a significant amount of weight to lose and are not bored with the food. I've been at 20 g's a day since February, and I've never felt better! I don't intend to climb the carb ladder until I'm closer to my goal weight.

Thanks again :)

Proving the point. Atkins taught you (via reading the books, however) to watch for things like your vitality level, weight loss rate, etc.. and adjust accordingly. and IF needed.

This is not an unhealthy diet. At some point Atkins will go from "Low Carb" to "Right amount of CARBS for YOU" if you follow it for life.

Congrats on your success. Its a good program and a very logical approach.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Awesome

That's great! Good job!

Thanks again :)

Proving the point. Atkins taught you (via reading the books, however) to watch for things like your vitality level, weight loss rate, etc.. and adjust accordingly. and IF needed.

This is not an unhealthy diet. At some point Atkins will go from "Low Carb" to "Right amount of CARBS for YOU" if you follow it for life.

Congrats on your success. Its a good program and a very logical approach.

Thank you! And congrats on your weight loss as well! At some point, the medical community and the government are going to need to wake up and see that their "standards" need to be changed because they're not working for everyone!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thank you! And congrats on your weight loss as well! At some point, the medical community and the government are going to need to wake up and see that their "standards" need to be changed because they're not working for everyone!

I agree that the USDA standards do need to be updated, but there is no way they will ever have a standard that works for everyone. Too many "everyones" in America for that to ever be feasible.
  • Grokette
    Options

I agree that the USDA standards do need to be updated, but there is no way they will ever have a standard that works for everyone. Too many "everyones" in America for that to ever be feasible.

No one can go wrong with meat, fats, occasional dairy, vegetables and fruits and nuts - maybe even some types of grains and beans for those who are tolerable. EVERYONE of us being human beings could benefit from these staple items.

I will be soooo happy the day that junk food, soda and processed foods are taxed just like alcohol and tobacco products.
  • martinah4
    Options

No one can go wrong with meat, fats, occasional dairy, vegetables and fruits and nuts - maybe even some types of grains and beans for those who are tolerable. EVERYONE of us being human beings could benefit from these staple items.

I will be soooo happy the day that junk food, soda and processed foods are taxed just like alcohol and tobacco products.

Agreed! And while they're at it (but off topic) they could legalize marijuana, impose taxes on it, make a profit and probably pay down some of that national debt. Just sayin'....
  • prettygirlxp
    Options
    The atkins diet does not work for everyone ! BUT it doesnt mean that it doesnt work AT ALL!
    if u r willing to stick with the low carb lifestyle till the end u'll die and to stay away from candies, pizzas, white flour, chocolate, white breads, pastas ALL UR LIFE then u won't put the weight back ! but if u r a carb lover and u're doing atkins just "for a short time" until u loose the weight and then u plan to go back to ur old habbits and eating chocolates everyday then it won't work for u ! (and deff not for me lol).
    it is just like the calorie counting "diet", if after u lose the weight u go back to eating 3000 cals a day then u'll put all the weight back but if u stick to ur TDEE and ur exercise then u'll be able to maintain ur weight!
    So no one can say that this or that diet does not work, if u stick to it and u apply it religiously then it will work ! U just have to find what is the best for U ,everyone is not the same duuuh!!
    P.S.: it is true (and it is actually proved) that low carb dieters lose weight faster in the beginning but at the end of the year both the normal dieter and the low carb dieter lose the same amount of weight! and BOTH will be able to stick to it if they "follow the rules".