"TLFC" exercise and accountability support!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Hey gang!

I like myself unconditionally!

Happy Humpday! Full schedule and it's my long day. Cold as *kitten* yesterday during yard duty and I was unprepared, so felt like a popcicle.

Cardio: jog/walk- 30 minutes (300 calories)

Strength: biceps- barbell curls, dumbbell curls, high cable curls 4x 12,10,6.

Assessment: Asian short ribs, mixed vegetable and rice for dinner.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,997 Member
    Options
    Cardio: Shoveling snow, 1 hour

Analysis: Figured by the time I'd cleared the car and drive to head to the gym, I'd already put in a full workout anyway, so went back inside and baked a cake with my daughter whose school had been cancelled on account of the blizzard.

Food: Lunch - chicken strips with rice, Dinner - sloppy Joe's
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang!

Happy Thursday! Full schedule and class this morning. As busy as I was yesterday, I felt really good and not tired. Although I did the dumb thing and instead of changing out of my running shoes after treadmill intervals, I kept them on while I did my workout. My ankle was sore after that. Running shoes aren't made for working out.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (200 calories)

Strength: back- pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, seated cable rows, straight arm pulldowns. 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Popeye's chicken sandwich and fries. Still well within calorie deficit and my weight is down again.

• nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I like following you two on here with your daily updates :)
  • nossmf
    Options
    Workout: None

Analysis: Made it to the gym by 5am only to see a note on the door saying they wouldn't open until 8, no explanation given. No way could I afford to wait that long on a day when I commute to work, so no workout for me today. (Thought briefly about hitting the gym after work, but past experience tells me that's never a good idea for me. Energy levels suffer, workout always feels lacking, and I'd have to deal with crowds of other post-work-workouters, so no thanks.) Was actually looking forward to getting some cardio in after missing yesterday, too, which is such a bizarre sensation for me, something I've not felt since college almost 25 years ago. Not sure how much is the fact cardio has gotten easier as my weight's dropped, or if I just feel the need to do SOMETHING while I can't lift, but it is what it is.

Food: Lunch - ground hamburger with rice, Dinner - chicken fajitas

Shoes: I haven't had an actual set of running shoes in decades. Soon after I started lifting I learned how much easier squats and deadlifts were using hard-soled Chuck Taylor shoes without all that padding compressing and causing my ankles to shift around, and since I wasn't doing cardio at that time I let my son have my running shoes. I should maybe look into getting a pair if I plan on continuing this whole cardio kick, but I'm a cheap miser (when it comes to spending $$$ on me) so will just keep using my Chuck's for everything gym-related. At least as long as I continue walking on the treadmill I can get away with it; if I ever try to return to actual running, that would be different.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy TGIF! Full schedule. Can't wait to finish today!

Cardio: jog/walk- 3 miles (350 calories)

Strength: triceps- pressdowns, lying tricep extensions, cable kickbacks, machine dips 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Coconut chicken curry for dinner.

• nossmf
    Options
    Cardio: Treadmill - 1hr super-hill (712 calories, 2.9 miles, 1823 feet elevation climbed)

Analysis: Instead of doing variable hills, altering either incline OR speed, today I did a single super-hill profile, starting at 1 degree incline and a fast walking pace. EMOM added 1 degree incline, decreased .1 mph, until at the halfway point I was at 30 degrees incline by a very slow walk. Second half of the workout was a mirror image, going faster at a lower incline as time went on.

Food: Lunch - chicken sandwich with chips, Dinner - sweet & sour pork with rice

Life: Rather annoyed at myself. Had composed my full message, but got distracted by a coworker's question, somehow hit some random key as I turned which caused my screen to go wonky until I randomly hit the "unwonky" button, but in the process lost everything I'd typed and had to start all over.

Life 2: Realized something about my iPod music selection. I currently have about 3 hours' worth of songs, played in alphabetical order by song title. Everything being equal, each letter would have about 7 minutes of material. (Yes, I realized I have no songs starting with "X" or "Z" but the point remains.) What actually happens is I have over an hour of "A" songs, another hour of "S" songs, and the last hour split across the remainder of the alphabet.

Lifting: Realized something else the other day while doing some online research about proper ways to return to lifting after an extended layoff. (More on that in a minute.) One article reminded me of something I knew but had completely spaced the other day. Specifically, I had posted how my shirt sleeves were feeling rather loose, leaving me concerned I was losing muscle mass due to inactivity. Per the article this type of muscular atrophy can happen, but usually over a far longer time frame. What I was experiencing was actually a loss of glycogen stores in the muscles due to not lifting, but the muscle mass itself was virtually untouched from before, and as soon as I resume lifting those stores will come flooding back and restore my previous size, or close to it. Obvious in hindsight, but still a relief to realize.

Lifting 2: Now, the question part of my post, having to do with a proper "return to lifting" plan. When I start lifting again in April, it will have been almost four months since I stopped lifting due to my elbow. Whatever additional precautions I take like using wrist straps for heaviest pulls until my arm proves it's back to normal, I also know I don't want to just jump in with my previous routines and weights. One of the articles I found suggested starting at 50% of 1RM, increase to 60% week 2, and so on until I'm back to pre-layoff weights after about 5 weeks. Cool, I can buy that. What I have issue with, and would like a second opinion, is in the volume of the suggested workout. Specifically, it seems far too low at first, with a single "heavy" set of five reps for primary lifts, and a pair of twelve-rep sets for secondary lifts. For example, the first week of workouts looks like this, all done at 50% of 1RM:

Monday
    Bench Press 1x5
    Squat 1x5
    Tricep Pressdown 2x12

Tuesday
    Deadlift 1x5
    Lat Pulldown 2x12
    BB Curl 2x12

Thursday
    Military Press 1x5
    Incline Bench Press 2x12
    DB Lateral Raise 2x12

Friday
    Squat 1x5
    Bench Press 1x5
    BB Curl 2x12

With each additional week you add a set to primary lifts, decrease reps on secondary, and increase weight across the board by 10%, until week 4 you're doing 3x5 primary, 3x6 secondary, all at 80%. After this, transition to your normal workout routine/weights of choice. I can understand slowly ramping up overall volume, but does this strike you as being just too little for the first week back? Even with warmups, I don't see any of these workouts taking more than 15-20 minutes.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Workout and then regular chores of cleaning house and laundry. May go watch "Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantimania" as well.

Strength: quads- leg press, squats, hack squats, leg extensions 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Asian salad from Panera for dinner.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Full schedule. Just a relaxing time after work.

Strength: hamstrings- lying leg curls, seated leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Thai food for dinner.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy Monday! Full schedule and kickboxing tonight. No school today so I get to go home early in the morning.

Cardio: walk/run - 30 min (350 calories)

Strength: shoulders- machine shoulder press, side laterals, machine rear laterals, facepulls, front dumbell raises 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Sushi for dinner. Didn't end up watching the movie this weekend, but may go today since I don't have any yard duty.

• nossmf
    Options
    Workout: None

Justification: Stupid gym opens late on federal holidays, meaning I couldn't wait for them before going to work.

Food: Lunch - chicken strips with rice, Dinner - pork schnitzel

Rehab: Only a week away from when I begin doing rehab exercises for my elbow tendon. Very rare to experience any pain from it now, at least when my arm is below shoulder height. If I try to grip something while the arm is raised high, however, there's still a twinge, so there is that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang

Happy Tuesday! Full schedule today and kbox class.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (150 calories)

Strength: chest- incline chest press, machine chest press, cable crossovers, machine dips. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Pork spareribs and salad for dinner. I haven't made ribs in awhile because I have to be home for at least 4 hours to cook them and that's usually not the case.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Cardio: Elliptical - 50m hills (608 calories)

Analysis: I'm done fudging my 50m of elliptical time, plus 5m cooldown, as an hour. Next time I hop on the elliptical, I'm gonna record an actual 60m program for the computer to guide me through as I continue on this 3-month cardio kick.

Food: Lunch - homemade pizza, Dinner - spicy peanut chicken with rice
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang!

Happy Humpday! Full schedule and it's my long day. So glad it's a short day at school. Kids are getting on my nerves and it's not even Spring break yet.

Cardio: jog/walk- 30 minutes (300 calories)

Strength: biceps- barbell curls, dumbbell curls, high cable curls 4x 12,10,6.

Assessment: Steak and salad for dinner.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Cardio: Elliptical - 1hr hills (750 calories)

Analysis: Expected to wait a day before setting up my new elliptical routine, but one was open when I got to the gym so I did it today. Twenty hills, 2m work, 1m rest. Increased incline and resistance each hill from 1-10, decreased from 11-20. Only ten percent more time, but jumped calorie burn by 25%. And I'm exhausted!

Food: Dinner - chili (great for a day with wind chills expected to be pushing 30 below)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang!

Happy Thursday! Full schedule and class this morning. Ankle still hasn't fully recovered and I have class this morning.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (200 calories)

Strength: back- pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, seated cable rows, straight arm pulldowns. 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Robber's Roost pizza last night from Mountain Mike's.

• nossmf
    Options
    Cardio: Elliptical - 1hr hills (750 calories)

Food: Lunch - spicy peanut chicken with rice, Dinner - lasagna with side salad

Weight: Tomorrow is my weekly weigh-in. Last week my weight didn't budge, so here's hoping I see the expected drop tomorrow, especially since last weekend I didn't indulge over calories watching football.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy TGIF! Full schedule. Rainy day. At least not as cold.

Strength: triceps- pressdowns, lying tricep extensions, cable kickbacks, machine dips 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Popeye's chicken sandwich and fries for dinner.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Cardio: Treadmill - 1hr "super hill" (increase incline from 1-30 degrees and back) (711 calories, 2.76 miles, 1834 feet elevation climbed)

Analysis: Felt good to push all the way up to 30 degrees incline, but in looking back and previous treadmill sessions my calorie burn is much higher when I drop the incline and increase the speed. Need to give this some thought...

Food: Lunch - unknown yet (working from home, will likely eat lunch out with my wife), Dinner - home grilled burgers

Life: Weigh-in Friday is here, and unlike last week when my weight remained static, this week I dropped almost a full pound. This means I'm still on schedule to possibly be sub-180 when April rolls around and I switch gears from cardio-cut to lifting-bulk. Though whether it'll actually be a bulk or not remains up in the air; I may simply stop cutting and sit at maintenance calories for a while, which will still be nice compared to how many snacks etc I'm having to skip now.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Workout and then regular chores of cleaning house and laundry. After a day of light snow in the hills, it's rainy today.

Strength: quads- leg press, squats, hack squats, leg extensions 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Carl's Jr. Western Bacon cheeseburger and fried zuchini for dinner