"TLFC" exercise and accountability support!

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,773 Member
    Options
    Lifting: Day 11 of Return to Lifting Following Layoff

70% 1RM
    BB OHP 3x5
    Incline Bench Press 3x8
    DB Lateral Raise 3x8

Analysis: Started putting together my routine for after my "Return to Lifting" is finished next week. Opted to look into PHUL, opened a half dozen websites to compare the routines. Turns out all of them were virtually identical, from exercise selection to sets/reps scheme, like they never bothered to make their own version and simply copy-pasted from somebody else. I intend to tweak and make it my own (starting with NOT doing squats on leg-power day, only on leg-hypertrophy day).

Food: Lunch - steak with rice and stir-fried veggies, Dinner - ham with fries
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Hey gang,

I like myself unconditionally!

Happy TGIF! Full schedule this morning. So glad it's Friday.

Cardio: jog/walk- 3 miles (350 calories)

Strength: triceps- pressdowns, lying tricep extensions, cable kickbacks, machine dips 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment Coconut curry chicken and rice for dinner.

• nossmf
    Options
    Lifting: Day 12 of Return to Lifting Following Layoff

Squat 3x5x80%
    Bench 5x70%, 3x80%, 1x90%
    Preacher Curl 3x8,6,4,1

Analysis: Although the original plan was for 4 weeks (16 sessions) of gradual return to lifting, I'm declaring today the final day. I felt strong, strong enough to hit my pre-injury weights on bench and actually set a lifetime PR on preacher curl. Starting Monday, I will begin my new regular routine with full sets/reps volume on a variety of exercises. The one concession I will make to recovery is that every weight will start at 75% of pre-injury levels. I expect the first few weeks to include regular increases in weights each week.

Food: Spaghetti with side salad
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Finally get to squat and leg press heavy. And a peer left his safety squat bar here to use, so I'll be using it!

Cardio: Walk/jog- 260 calories

Strength: Quads- leg press, safety squats, hack squats, walking lunges. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Panda Express for dinner.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Cardio: Filling Bagster* bag with assorted junk

Analysis: Received notice from the city that an "anonymous" neighbor had complained about how much junk we had on our property, that it was impacting the beauty of the city or some such. My son cleaned up the front as viewable by the street by tossing everything over the fence into our side/back yard, but apparently that wasn't good enough, as we got a second notice from the city to clean it all up or else get fined by the city. So we got a Bagster to fill up, have to pay through the nose for the garbage company to come pick it up. And to make things perfect, it snowed overnight. Sure would love to learn who "anonymous" is and what's up their craw.

Food: Lunch - chicken strips with rice, Dinner - pot roast
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Full schedule. Hopefully Warriors win tonight to continue the series!

Cardio Walking/jog- 30min (260 calories)

Strength: Hamstrings- lying leg curls, seated leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Taco Bell for dinner

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy Monday! Full schedule and kickboxing tonight! Still a little sore from my leg workout Saturday.

Strength: shoulders- shoulder press, dumbbell side laterals, high elbow rear pulls, facepulls, cable side laterals 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Sushi for dinner. Warriors won so it's a new series!

• nossmf
    Options
    Weights: Upper Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 3x5
    DB OHP <superset> DB Shrugs 3x8
    Cable Pushdown <superset> Preacher Curl 3x8

Analysis: All weights reduced 20-30% from the last time I did them pre-injury, and they felt like they were flying up. Tons of energy, no pain or stiffness anywhere. Today was all about making sure I could handle the increased volume of a full routine, and early results say total success.

Food: Lunch - fried chicken with sweet potatoes, Dinner - meatloaf with mashed potatoes

Local Sports: Not a fan of NBA or NHL, but my hometown Nuggets lead their first-round playoff series 3-1, and the Avalanche are up 2-1 in defense of their Stanley Cup, so the mood around here is pretty positive.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang

Happy Tuesday! Full schedule and kickboxing class this morning. I was suffering from soreness yesterday from leg workout over the weekend. It's way better this morning.

Cardio: Walking/jog- 260 calories

Strength: chest- incline chest press, machine flat bench, dips, machine flyes, cable crossovers. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Steak and salad for dinner.

• nossmf
    Options
    Weights: Lower Power

Deadlift 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 3x5
    One-Leg Press 3x10
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Calf Extension 4x12

Analysis: All the weights felt light except for the one-leg press. Need to check my notes from before, see if 5p meant 5 plates per side, or 5 plates total. I'm starting to think the latter...

Food: Lunch - honey chicken and rice, Dinner - French toast and scrambled eggs
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang!

Happy Humpday! Full schedule. Finally not sore in my legs anymore.

Cardio: jog/walk- 30 minutes (300 calories)

Strength: biceps- barbell curls, dumbbell curls, high cable curls 4x 12,10,6.

Assessment: Pizza for dinner last night.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Cardio: None

Analysis: Woke up on time to hit the gym before work, drove to the gym, parking lot is empty. Little sign on the door says they will not open at 5 as normal, but rather will open at 8 as a safety measure due to winter weather. Never mind there's not a lick of snow on the ground, forecast had called for some, so fine. But would it have killed them to send out a message to members, so we didn't show up only to discover we couldn't go in? Better yet, since the decision was obviously made the night before, how about sending out the message the night before, so people like me don't wake up absurdly early and take caffeine and thus not only can't get a workout in, but now can't go back to sleep? In this digital age, it should only take a couple clicks to send a mass text, so no excuse. Not happy...

Food: Lunch - chicken strips and rice, Dinner - French dip sandwiches and baked fries
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Cardio: None

Analysis: Woke up on time to hit the gym before work, drove to the gym, parking lot is empty. Little sign on the door says they will not open at 5 as normal, but rather will open at 8 as a safety measure due to winter weather. Never mind there's not a lick of snow on the ground, forecast had called for some, so fine. But would it have killed them to send out a message to members, so we didn't show up only to discover we couldn't go in? Better yet, since the decision was obviously made the night before, how about sending out the message the night before, so people like me don't wake up absurdly early and take caffeine and thus not only can't get a workout in, but now can't go back to sleep? In this digital age, it should only take a couple clicks to send a mass text, so no excuse. Not happy...

Food: Lunch - chicken strips and rice, Dinner - French dip sandwiches and baked fries
    Man that sucks. Sorry for that. I've arrived at our gym a couple of times where I ended opening it up because the morning person overslept. We open at 4am and I'm there at usually at 5am.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang!

Happy Thursday! Full schedule and kickboxing class this morning. The week's been great so far. And picked up a new client as well.

Strength: back- pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, seated cable rows, straight arm pulldowns, 4x12,10, 8, 6.

Assessment: Korean fried chicken for dinner.

• nossmf
    Options
    Weights: Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 4x12
    Incline DB Fly 3x12
    BB Row 4x10
    Pulldown 3x10
    Lateral DB Raise 4x12
    DB Curl <superset> Lying DB Extend 3x10

Analysis: First time in a long time my back actually felt stronger than my chest, but I ascribe that more to my limited history doing incline presses. With practice getting in the groove, I expect the incline bench weights to increase faster than my BB rows.

Food: Lunch - spicy chicken sandwich and chips, Dinner - soy chicken with buttered noodles

Gym: Spoke to the gym receptionist about spreading the word of gym delays due to weather, turns out the gym DID spread the word at 6pm the night before the delay. Problem is they are dialed in with about a dozen social networking sites (Instagram, Twitter, etc) but don't send emails or phone texts. I may be the last person in America who does NOT have social media (outside of MFP). I do have an old Facebook account I no longer use, which I'm not sure if the gym uses or not since the poor girl's jaw was still on the floor about my lack of social presence. Will have to remember to check when I get home from work later. (If I can even remember my old password...)

NFL Draft: First round is tonight. Several years ago I was always on the couch watching the draft live on TV, but then they moved the first round to Thursdays when my church choir rehearsal meets, so I'm forced to catch up on things after. Not that my Broncos have a first round choice anyway, but still.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy TGIF! Full schedule this morning. It got hot so fast in a week.

Cardio: jog/walk- 3 miles (350 calories)

Strength: triceps- pressdowns, lying tricep extensions, cable kickbacks, machine dips 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment McDonald's for dinner. I need to cook more.

• nossmf
    Options
    @ninerbuff, a couple questions for ya:

One, do you do your workout as a giant circuit (12 reps on everything, go back for 10 reps, etc), or do all 4 sets on the first exercise before moving on and your notation is just a quicker way to represent they all had the same structure?

Two, if you are ready to increase the weight in multiple exercises, do you up both the same week, or do you increase one at a time in case the greater fatigue from the first is enough to prevent upping the second?
  • nossmf
    Options
    Weights: Lower Hypertrophy

Squats 4x15
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    BB RDL 4x10
    Leg Extension 3x10
    Seated Leg Curl 3x10
    Calves Extend 4x12

Analysis: This workout is similar to what I used to do before, only at that time it was the only leg workout of the week and this one is the second this week. Even at lighter weights, I could feel slightly more fatigue than I would have expected. Have a feeling this second leg workout each week will increase weights at a slower pace than the other three workouts.

Food: Lunch - Whataburger (got introduced two weeks ago, instantly hooked), Dinner - Panda Express (school fundraiser)
  • ninerbuff
    edited April 2023
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    @ninerbuff, a couple questions for ya:

One, do you do your workout as a giant circuit (12 reps on everything, go back for 10 reps, etc), or do all 4 sets on the first exercise before moving on and your notation is just a quicker way to represent they all had the same structure?

Two, if you are ready to increase the weight in multiple exercises, do you up both the same week, or do you increase one at a time in case the greater fatigue from the first is enough to prevent upping the second?
    Each set is 12, 10, 8, 6 for each exercise. I complete one exercise doing each set.

Everything I do is by feel, so if I feel stronger, I'll bump the weight. And vice versa if I'm not feeling strong that day.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Got up really early this morning and am ready to hit legs.

Strength: Quads- leg press, safety squats, hack squats, walking lunges. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Popeye's chicken sandwich for dinner.