Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

"TLFC" exercise and accountability support!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    SSI payments continue even if you're no longer in the country, good to know. Nice dream...as long as a hurricane doesn't convince you to return suddenly! lol

I've lived where I want to be previously when I was younger, I dealt with a typhoon or two. I'm going to build a house on the beach but it's going to be like 13 feet off the ground on concrete pillars and the house will be octagonal with a domed roof. That way any storm will go around the house easier and I'll be off the ground high enough to avert storm surge. I've been planning this for a couple of years now.
  • ninerbuff
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    "Stop working by the end of 2025." As in retire?

:)

Best thing a person can do. Other opportunities pop up. Sometimes more than you want. And you learn to say yes, and you learn to say no.

Takes a while to get used to the retired thing. Better plan on at least six to eight.... minutes.

Oh I'll kinda retire, but I want to open my own novelty gym on the beach where I'm going (it's a tourist destination). Look up Tulum Jungle gym to get an idea.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang!

I like myself unconditionally!

Happy Thursday! The interview for GNC went fine and they want me to do a 2nd with the district manager of the area today. The gym interview had to moved to Sunday last minute. Even if I get accepted at GNC, I'm likely going to take the PT job over it because it's more my passion. Being a store manager at GNC would mean a lot of dead time because you're only busy if people are in the store. And I'm not good with just waiting around for long periods of time because I'm so hyper.

Cardio: Walk/jog- 260 calories

Strength: back- pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, seated cable rows, pullovers 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Pork sausage and corn for dinner.

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy TGIF! Ugh. So had the 2nd interview and the regional manager loved me. She later called and said that she wanted me to be part of the team. Now here's the catch: I applied for a store that was in a strip mall in San Ramon, CA which is a really nice city. Average median income is $190K. The regional manager thought I would be a better candidate for their MALL store in Pleasanton, CA. Average median income there is 181K. The are 2 cities right beside each other. The difference of course is FOOT TRAFFIC. The mall in Pleasanton is frequented by a high paying area since the next mall is about 20 miles away. So of course they offered me a higher pay for the mall location. I tentatively accepted the job and she was really excited because she felt my personality and drive is what the mall location needs.
    I STILL have an interview at the gym on Sunday, but am supposed to start MONDAY next week. Ugh. Unless I get a really good offer at the gym (and again I'm starting all over and it takes at least 3 months to build up a decent clientele list of at least 10-15 clients), I'll likely stay with GNC since I'm only here for another year and a half.

Cardio: jog/walk- 3 miles (350 calories)

Strength: triceps- rope pressdowns, overhead tricep extensions, dips, lying tricep extensions 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment Pork loin, rice and green beans for dinner.

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Just quads and some walking today. Clean the house and fold some laundry today.

Strength: quads- linear leg press, Smith machine squats, bulgarian squats, leg extensions 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Panera Strawberry Poppyseed chicken salad for dinner.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,782 Member
    So you went from worrying about not having any job to now worrying about having to juggle between two job offers. Doesn't make the choice easier, but it's a far better dilemma to have.
  • nossmf
    Back logging...

Wednesday

Cardio: Incline Treadmill Walk - 30min, 309 calories

Thursday

Weights: Upper Body - Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 4x10
    DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Row 4x10 (2 sets pronated, 2 sets supinated)
    Pulldown 3x10 (1 set each hands over, under, neutral-grip)
    Machine Reverse Fly 3x10
    Machine Lat Raise 3x10
    DB Shrugs 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x10 (5-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15sec

Analysis: Welcome to the reverse fly joining my arsenal.

Friday

Weights: Lower Body

Squat 4x10
    Rack Pull 4x10
    Leg Press <<superset> Leg Press Calf Raise 4x10
    Seated Leg Curl 4x10
    Cable Crunch 4x10, 15, 20, 25
  • ninerbuff
    So you went from worrying about not having any job to now worrying about having to juggle between two job offers. Doesn't make the choice easier, but it's a far better dilemma to have.
    Lol, I just now decided I can do both at the same time if I wish. GNC is a 9:45am to 7pm job. I'm off on Wednesdays and Sundays. I can train clients between 6am and 9am and the mall is 5 minutes away on regular days and then any time on Wednesdays and Sundays. Can't remember the last time I had 2 jobs. But at the very least I'll still be training people.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,900 Member
    I've got two jobs right now.

I retired a couple years ago. I've been doing short-term but near full-time (or more) work for a couple months in the summer for a non-profit. That will come to a close in the next couple weeks. My other gig is one I just started in April. It's year-round but just a few days a month. I also have a volunteer job. It's too much. I am really looking forward to just having the part time job.

Worst part is this is the time of year I like to get outside and play. My work is outside, but I don't get to pick where I go or what I do. Maybe I won't do the full time job next summer and instead do whatever I want. I had to decline a multi-day river trip invitation because I had already committed to working. River trips are my thing.
  • nossmf
    My father retired five years ago, but as an accountant he knows that March/April are always the busiest time of the year for his old company, so he goes back to work for those two months every year and has the other ten months off.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,900 Member
    I contemplated getting certified to prepare taxes and work a LOT of hours over a couple months between February, March, and April. So far I haven't done it. That would be a fine time to work for me, the exception being if I got a permit (or invited on someone else's permit) for an early April Grand Canyon raft trip. I think it's the best month to be there.

I made a promise to myself when I retired that I would not do ANY work for money for at least six months. I found myself looking at available jobs but stopping myself from applying. Whew. The work I'm doing now I did as a volunteer the first year. The person running the program at that time asked if I'd like to help. I said yes. He said, "I can't pay you." I told him that's the only way I'd do it. They did get to count my hours as an in-kind match towards the grant. Last year they decided to pay me, and I said yes. I also did far more work than the first year. Same with this year. Maybe next year I just volunteer a few days.
  • ninerbuff
    Got the job at the Bay Club. I let the manager know I also have the GNC job, but he was okay with that. Since the GNC job has a 90 day probation, I still have a little leeway on whether or not I'd stay for it if the gym actually goes better. The pay is great at $45 to $63 per session and if I decided to work there full time with say 6-8 sessions a day, I could easily make what I used to make at my prior job.
    Or just be GNC store manager and then just make extra off training sessions at the Bay Club. Realistically it could be close that way as well.
    We'll see. My concern is DEAD TIME at GNC when there's no customers. I don't want do just sit around and walk up and down the aisles. At least in the gym I can talk to other members as well as do stuff physically around the gym to keep busy like I did at my last gym.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy Monday! Start GNC job today. Meet with the district manager and employee for first training day and get back into sales.

Strength: shoulders- machine shoulder press, rope face pulls, rear lateral raises, side lateral raises, single arm cable side laterals, shrugs with dumbbells 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Sushi for dinner last night.

• nossmf
    edited August 12
    Weights: Upper Body - Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    BB Decline Press 5x5
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10, 8, 6
    Cable Pushdown 3x10
    Cable Woodchoppers (Low, Mid, High) 3x10

Observation: Saw a guy in the incline bench press station start his set. He threw his hips so far above the mat, his torso was literally horizontal while he repped the weight. Wasn't a fluke, as he did the same thing the next set as well. The regular bench press station next to him was open, so he wasn't trying to simulate a flat bench, this guy legit thought he was doing incline presses yet his torso was flat. Otherwise his form was great, lol. I never said anything to him, just laughed inside about him not getting the benefits he was trying to achieve.

Food: Last night was pot roast (one day I'll figure out how to cook it and still be juicy, not shoe leather)
  • ninerbuff
    Weights: Upper Body - Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    BB Decline Press 5x5
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10, 8, 6
    Cable Pushdown 3x10
    Cable Woodchoppers (Low, Mid, High) 3x10

Observation: Saw a guy in the incline bench press station start his set. He threw his hips so far above the mat, his torso was literally horizontal while he repped the weight. Wasn't a fluke, as he did the same thing the next set as well. The regular bench press station next to him was open, so he wasn't trying to simulate a flat bench, this guy legit thought he was doing incline presses yet his torso was flat. Otherwise his form was great, lol. I never said anything to him, just laughed inside about him not getting the benefits he was trying to achieve.

Food: Last night was pot roast (one day I'll figure out how to cook it and still be juicy, not shoe leather)
    Yeah you get to see weird things at the gym sometimes and wonder what these people are really thinking.

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang

Happy Tuesday! Well, first day at GNC was a lot of onboarding stuff as well as learning how to write schedules and meet some of my staff. Lol, based on how many I got working, I may need more staff. Today I learn more about the SOP from the current manager before he leaves Friday.

Cardio: Walking/jog- 260 calories

Strength: chest- Hammer incline bench, machine flat bench, dips, cable crossovers 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: New York steak and salad for dinner.
  • nossmf
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, based on how many I got working, I may need more staff.

You worry about being bored...now you worry about having more people to lessen the workload... Just no satisfying you, is there, my friend? lol
  • nossmf
    Cardio: Treadmill, incline walk - 300 calories

Analysis: Got interrupted 3/4 through my session when my wife came to me in the gym to let me know our daughter had tried to intervene in a fight between two of our dogs and gotten her ankle bit for her efforts, and they were heading to the ER for care. Couple stitches and some painkillers and antibiotics later we came home, but rather a buzzkill for her first day of the new school year.

Food: Last night was Chick-Fil-A (one of the few places still open after we left the ER)
  • ninerbuff
    edited August 14
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, based on how many I got working, I may need more staff.

You worry about being bored...now you worry about having more people to lessen the workload... Just no satisfying you, is there, my friend? lol
    Well there was to be another person hired, but they end up renigging on the offer. So I only have 3 employees and I can ONLY work 40 hours a week total. They give us an alotted amount of hours for our store to be covered and it's only 63 hours per week not including my 40. One of my guys only works 2 days a week and the other 3 days a week. And while I can close the store every time I work, 2 of those days I only have one person to work ALL DAY. Since we can't exceed 8 hours on any shift, Sunday being a short day (10:45am-6:15pm) I can put an associate to work by herself, however she would have to close the store down 30 minutes for lunch plus to one 10 minute break. And on Wednesday, I would have to do the same. Having another person or two would have a schedule where I could keep the store open if I spread the hours out.

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang!

Happy Humpday! Man I was a little overwhelmed with all the SOP and onboarding, plus learning how to use the computer system for sales/returns, etc. I'm off today, but I'll watch a couple of videos on opening and closing procedure because I only have Thursday and Friday left to learn it before the current manager leaves for good.

Cardio: jog/walk- 30 minutes (300 calories)

Strength: biceps- barbell curls, dumbbell curls, preacher curls, cable curls 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Spaghetti for dinner.