Senior Golden Sneakers............September

Options

Replies

• fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Chris, my mouth is watering from your description of your fruits and veggies. Yummy.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,116 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!! :bigsmile: We had rain most of the night but the sun is trying to come out. :flowerforyou: Our weekend was great with us ending it with breakfast first, then we did a little geocaching which was fun. In between the hunt we came back to my house and had a skype phone call with Katie, their daughter who is in Africa with the Peace Corps. It was great talking with her and she is still very happy with what she is doing and has no intention of coming home. Geo caching is sort of like a scavenger hunt. People hide little objects all over the world and with either a smart phone or other electronics you look for the objects with the help of a map or compass from the software. We found 4 out of six objects. Great exercise if you are walking but we drove to most places because we are lazy. :laugh: We ended up at a restaurant for dinner and then the kids went to the airport to catch their plane home. It was great seeing them and hope it won't be too long before I see them again. :heart:

Marie, you are still doing fantastic and we couldn't be more proud. You are keeping busy with your quilting which keeps the mind going so you should be very proud of yourself as well. :love: How did your pumpkin pie turn out?

Jeri, hope you keep your computer going to at least get a backup of your important things. Would it be worth taking it to a computer geek to have them look at it for you? I am sure the information from the seminar was over whelming but you have done so well so far I am sure you will do great with the radiation. As always our prayers are with you and we will be holding your hand in spirit. :heart:

Buzz, it does sound like you and your hubby are overdoing just a bit. :noway: Do you not have anyone to help you move this heavy furniture around? Congratulations on the weight loss, this sounds like the plan for you.:drinker:

Chris, you are also doing wonderful with your program, keeping busy and moving is probably the best things for your recent surgeries. I know the more active I am the less my knees hurt. Your crust-less pie sounds like it was so good and so little calories, my kind of dessert. :tongue: I think Eset Nod32 does have a free scan but really not sure, I just know that I haven't had a virus since using it. :bigsmile:

Gigi, we have been getting some wonderful weather haven't we? I am trying to take advantage of it before it gets too cold and Daisy loves every minute of our walks. :wink:

Birdie, I also have Leslie's walking DVD, I haven't used it for while but I am sure I will when the weather gets bad. I wear a heart monitor to keep track of my calories but would have to go back in time to give you a figure for how many I burnt doing her tape. :ohwell:

Marilyn, it sounds like you had a great day in Kingston along with Buttons. No one was more wild than Daisy as a puppy (she still is occasionally) so hopefully Ben will cam down. I had a dog trainer come into my home and she gave us two helpful tools. One is when the pup jumps or does something not approved you throw, in our case it was like a bean bag but it had a chain inside to make a loud noise down on the floor near their feet and make up a word that means bad, we use baaaa. (like the sheep) Also again when behavior is not good a squirt with a water bottle usually stops Daisy. Worked for us, although you are supposed to be consistent and my husband doesn't always discipline. :explode:

Phoebe, I know lot of people like Norton but in my opinion they just don't find all the virus's but I think it is a matter of personal choice. :tongue: My husband also is hard of hearing but will not get hearing aides, it drives me insane. The doctor did tell him to get them now, so I will keep reminding him and hope it sinks in soon. Love all the names of the kitties and I am so happy they found you to love them. :heart:

Becky, how is the weight competition going? When is the deadline again?

Gayla, did you make it to the curling bonspiel and get to see your cousins son?

Jackie, so sorry about your cat, I hope it is not too serious.

Phyllis, it seems odd that you have school on Sunday and not Friday, is there an explanation for that?

Judy, it is sad that your 17 year old has such major hearing problems but amazing for a 17 year old to be so courageous and accepting, praises to you for raising such a great son.

Shirley, I am so glad that the weather cooperated for your sail with the in-laws. Came back to edit because you posted before I saw your post I am sorry about the death of your friend, please accept my sympathy.

I hope I didn't forget anyone and if I did I am sorry. It is hard going back and trying to catch up but I did the best I could,
    I am staying in today and I am going to try and catch up on shows I recorded and also work on making some DVDs.
    Have a great day!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My goodness Sandy...you are really up to date with the electronics. Geo caching !!!! I never heard of the but then I use an old cell phone. Hey, did we get another birthday on our list? Dead line for the challenge is the end of October. I am down 6.2 pounds.

:flowerforyou: Shirley, sounds like a wonderful time with your relatives. I wish I had some living close to me.

:flowerforyou: Marie, funny....did you get another cup of coffee? I don't see you here so maybe you are still drinking it.:laugh:

I feel so healthy. I am walking with a bounce in my step. And, it is a Monday.:bigsmile:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    JERI, that photo is awesome, and I remember driving through that scene after we visited Calgary, finishing our Canadian Rockies trip! Canada is just breathtaking! We will be there with hugs during your radiation, and I so admire your approach and attitude, which is such a healthy way of looking at a difficult condition! :drinker: YOU are a SURVIVOR!

BECKY,Love to hear about that bounce in your step! Makes me smile!!!:wink: I do get some exercise actually, between housework and the Fitness Center we go to at least 3 times a week. I wish I could walk s I used to, but we do what nature allows and try to accept it with grace, and maybe a grumble or two! I will try my new Jane Fonda DVD's again, as soon as we get the coffee table that is too large back to the store! They were very nice about helping us choose one more functional for folks who no longer entertain much!

MARIE- you are much too active to ever have a blank mind, but enjoy the coffee anyway!

SHIRLEY!!! You without a boat??? CAn't visualize that! :noway:

SANDY, your posts keep me up-to-date when I've missed the latest from everyone! Bless yer heart! :bigsmile: It must have been a real thrill talking to Katie in Africa! Hope all goes well there for her! And love the idea of you geocaching. Sounds similar to the scavenger hunts we used to have in the Sports Car Club many years ago! I agree with you we may have overdone but as our physical trainer said this morning,"Hey, you were able to do it! Many people your age could not if they tried!" So I feel good that we could, and did, and that it was worth the effort! It looks great now!

CHRIS, what is that crustless pie, and did you give us the recipe? Soon I'll start adding carbs to South Beach, and I'll want desserts other than ricotta and vanilla!

PHOEBE, I deleted Norton and installed Microsoft Security Essentials, which is not nearly as intrusive, yet seems to have some features that go after viruses with a vengeance. I was not happy with Norton. As for men who are hard of hearing, my DH is in total denial, yet his hearing is almost gone in one ear and poor in the other! Our conversations often consist of what? what??? what??? But since we will celebrate our 34th (!) anniversary October 1st, I'll put up with his stubborness and just appreciate the good stuff! (And he drives at night:laugh: )

PHYLLIS, I assume your Sabbath is why schools are closed Fridays? Yet open Sunday does sound unusual to the Western culture! Did it take you long to adjust to that?

JUDY, sounds like Jake is a kid you can be very proud of! I think you've done a great job of adjusting to bringing up a grandchild!

I know I have not included everyone, but I've missed some time here, so please forgive my lapses! Gotta take care of my hungry spouse!
    Buzz
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

The weight watchers crustless pumpkin pie is so good with a little cool whip on top and I think it's about 100 total. There is canned pumpkin, canned milk, egg beaters,spices, splenda. Check the receipe out on weight watchers site. Yummy.

Today I made a weight watchers pumpkin bread I just took the recipe off the ww site. I also took some zucchini recipes off the site too. I still have lots of zucchini to make.

I have been canning my little heart out. I love having my shelves full of canning , it looks like I will be doing more this weekend. I saw a crustless apple pie on ww site to that I want to try.

So today had egg beaters , zucchini, evoo, and coffee for breakfast, we to a meeting in town and went gambling and won
    $150.00, boy was I happy:happy: Then we went swimming at a indoor pool, had our picnic lunch of turkey meatloaf, raw veggies and the last of our crustless pumpkin pie with the last of cool whip. Then we went for a walk and now hubby is resting on couch and I am playing with my computer.

Dinner will be lite, salad with fresh veggies and chicken, turkey, and ham, and boiled egg.

Well, my neighbor is coming over to help me finish my computer problems see you later.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Sandy, geocaching sounds fun. I've never tried it. However, I do carry a phototrackr when I travel. It is a gps that use to sync the location with my photos. That way I know where they have been taken. Don't worry, I am doing lots of backups. I have a couple of huge portable hard drives that I used to back everything up onto. It works great.

Becky that is wonderful that you are down 6.2 lbs. I am sure you can feel it on your clothes.

Thank you Buzz. I love photography. And as for the cancer, I am doing okay. Just having a little anxiety right now. That's perfectly normal. Once I find out the news from the oncologist I'll be able to deal with it. For me it is always the uncertainity of it all. But I have a wonderful support network. Everyone here is fantastic and I really, really appreciate your encouragement. Boy it makes me feel good. My dh and my two daughters are wonderful, so is my Mom, my Sister and a couple of good friends. With all that support, how could I go wrong. LOL

Marie - that pumpkim pie sounds very good. I can't have milk and only use substitutions. I always have coconut milk in the house. I must try it out.

There certainly have been some delicious conversations about food the last few days. Yummy. We were over at my Mom's today moving things from her two 2 freezers to her new one. Boy at 84 that girl still can cook. Imagine, she lives on her own and has 1 very large standing deep freeze, and 2 fridges with deep freeze portions in them too. They are all full. She is a wonderful cook.

Anyway time to go. I need to watch Dancing with the Stars as soon as my dh comes up from walking on the treadmill -- I inspired him tonight.

Here's another photo from our weekend trip. Cheers everyone.

6187519038_ab705e9a5e.jpg
    Beautiful Alberta in the Fall by FancyLady, on Flickr
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    I’ve been gone for the weekend to a women’s spiritual retreat in a beautiful wooded setting by a lake. I didn’t log food or exercise on MFP and I cheated by having Jake log in for me on the day I couldn’t get to the computer so I wouldn’t lose my log in streak.

I used one of the techniques from “The Thin Commandments” to govern my eating. It’s called “boxing in and boxing out”. I “boxed out” all the foods I would not eat at all
    white bread, deli meats and cheese, potatoes, candy, sugary foods. I “boxed in” a few foods that I would eat only over the weekend but not eat them at home----cashews, peanuts, whole wheat toast and peanut butter, extra fruit, raisins, lasagna, egg salad, chicken salad.

There was plenty of time for exercise. I got up at 5:00 and walked for an hour before everybody else got up and then walked the trails with small groups when there was free time. On Friday my pedometer recorded 18,000 steps, Saturday 38,000 steps and Sunday 21,000 steps.

This morning my weight was up about four pounds which I think is mostly water retention and lots of heavy food. Today I am back on my regular healthy eating plan and the dogs were delighted to have me take them for our usual long walk this morning.

To add to the talk of kitties, a woman at the retreat said that she takes her coffee to her patio every morning to meditate for 30 minutes and her five cats sit quietly around her and don’t bother her the whole time.

Chris, I go to three line dance classes a week. I don’t know about line dance DVDs but if you know the name of the dance you want to learn, you can google line dance then the name of the dance and you’ll get a link to a video on YouTube. If you want to know more, send me a personal message and I’ll answer your questions.

Becky, you look great in your new picture.

Marie, I bought a fairy tale pumpkin yesterday. They are also called Cinderella pumpkins because they look like the one that turned into a coach in the story. I will use it for decoration on my front porch for awhile, they bake it, and freeze the cooked pumpkin to eat as a vegetable during the winter.
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. What a glorious Autumn. I hope it sticks around for a very long time. We had the family all home for dinner on Sunday which is always fun. I roasted a nice size chicken and served it with fresh garden vegetables and stuffing. I made some cranberry sauce and yes, I enjoyed. My biggest confession is that I followed Marie's lead and made a fresh peach dessert but I ate some of that too and it was so good. I am so weak!

Sandy -- I didn't get to the curling. When I could go my sister could not and vice versa. Perhaps later in the season I will get there.

Buzz -- you are such a busy girl. Be careful with all the furniture moving. Have you gone on your Panama trip?

Jeri -- I have been to the Rockies several times but never at this time of year. Your picture makes me rethink that. Beautiful!

I have a library book due back in a couple of days so I better get on that. I will catch up with the rest of you later. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, what an inspiraton you are. I can't imagine walking so many steps. And, I am on my feet all day long but can't get in that many steps. You are doing so well. I love reading about your retreat. I used to go to those, but, only if it were for couples. My ex had a problem with me being out of his sight. Sigh, one of the many reasons he is now the ex.
    So funny that you had Jake logging in for you.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Gayla, your meal sounds delicious. I am sure that everyone enjoyed the food.

:flowerforyou: buzz, about 15 years ago I did aerobics at home with a Jane Fonda video. To watch it now is just too comical. She was a riot in it. I guess she was trying to entertain us while we exercise.:bigsmile: I don't even own a VCR anymore so I will not be exercising with Jane anymore.
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Good Tuesday to ya! I'm just poppin in to say that I finally did it, yep...I've eaten myself to my highest weight. EVER !! :sad: I'm sure it can be undone but not by myself. Would you all try to help me again???? :blushing:

Marie: Grandsons name is Nate...you got it!

Mama Buzz: I see you're doing South Beach. Using website or book? {{{{{{{{{{:heart: }}}}}}}}}

Speaking of grandson, I think I smell something funny....well,not funny exactly....more like STINKY!

Later Ladies,
    Missing Maddie
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Happy Tuesday, we lost our sunshine for the next few days, so ugly and dark :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Maddie - so good to have you back, get back to basics and you will be ok.:heart::heart: :heart:

Becky - Loved your new picture:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gayla - I need to take back a book to the Library, so glad you talked about your book, hope it was a good one. How is Neal?

Sandy - Must exercise indoor, so much rain:noway: :noway: :noway: .

Must get ready to go, our golf lunchon is at 11:00, today was our last day for golfing in our leauge, but the weather didn't allowed any golf.

Have a great everyone,

Gigi
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    :smile: Barbie: Your never ending steps amazes me. You go girl !!

:smile: Buzz: Easy on moving the furniture we don't want you hurting yourself. I hope
    you find a cofeetable you are looking for. Started South Beach Phase II
    on Monday. Meatloaf tonight. I forgot how good those receipes were.

:smile: Becky: You are doing great on your weightloss. In inspiration to me.

:smile: Jeri: Good Luck on your treatments, you are a brave lady. Love
    your photography and mountain pictures. Makes me miss Alberta.

Sorry if I missed anyone, there are so many posts to read.

Looking like a rain storm coming today, it has been humid and I am looking forward to
    the cooler temps.

<<<<There are no shortcuts to any place worth going>>>>
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Shirley, where do you live that you are still looking for cooler temps?

:flowerforyou: Gigi, ALRIGHT. If it rains and you can't play gulf, you can still have a luncheon. Sounds good to me.:laugh:

LUV2CRUZ, Hang in there. You have done it before...you can do it again. Do not look at what the scales are saying at this time. Just ignore them. Start eating healthy, smaller portions. Get in some exercise every day, stay in contact with us.

We got a record rainfall yesterday. The average total for the month of September for Ohio is 2 inches. Piqua got 3 inches just yesterday. I was out in it most of the morning. My jacket got soaked clean through.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!! :bigsmile: We have Gigi's weather and it isn't pretty. :angry: I have some errands to run today and then we are going to Lou Malnati's for dinner with my granddaughter (6) and her mom because the school gets back money if you eat there today. Tomorrow is my granddaughter in Africa's 22nd birthday and I messed up because it takes a month or longer for her to receive a package and I didn't think ahead, so I am going to send her parents a check. They are going to meet in Spain for Christmas so they can give her the money to get something for herself. I will get a package together for her today and call her in Africa tomorrow. :heart:

Shirley, great job on the South Beach diet, it does sound like it has good food. I like anything that is portioned controlled because otherwise I eat too much. :laugh:

Gigi, sorry about your golf game, but at least you get to spend time with friends. :flowerforyou:

Maddie, of course we are here for you!!! So glad to have you back, what are we moving and grooving to, today??:love:

Becky, you are doing amazing, all your hard work is paying off, keep up the good work!! :flowerforyou:

Gayla, sorry about the curling but there will be other games. You sound like great cook, I bet your family appreciates you. Tsk, tsk on the peach dessert, but oh so good. :drinker:

Barbie, I am with Becky on your steps, it is amazing how many you can get in one day. I am lucky if I can get 5000 in one day and some days not even. :noway:

Jeri, your photos are just so perfect what kind of camera do you use? Does anyone live with your mom that she needs 3 freezers worth of food. :drinker: You know without saying that we are with you every step of the way with your radiation. :heart:

Chris, what do you play at the casino? You are one lucky lady, I have been losing so much I am taking a break. :ohwell:

Buzz, you sure keep yourself busy and that is a great thing. :love:

Marie, where oh where are you this morning? :heart: :heart:

Here it is almost noon and I am still in my pj's. I better get downstairs to exercise before my errands because it might be raining for Daisy's walk tonight. Have a great day everyone!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Maddie Just what the docter order for you and for us. So glad to see a post from you we can licked . My weight is alowly coming off. I just record it once a month and this Friday is the end of the month. This diet I stumble on to has really been a miracle to me No more 3 times a day of insulin shots , Doctor cut it down to one a day. and has lower it. Sure beat 4 times a day. So I am really scare to get off of it.. docteddy.jpg
    Stick with us and we will help you on your weight problems Love ya'

Barbiecat here you are on a go again. have a safe time. I like your box in and box out. I plan to have one meal a month of whatever I want for one meal. on this life style of eating The rest of the time its beans and veggies for me. I was told that by a nutrit. When I was first found out about dabetics Of courses I did not follow it.
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
  • Sandydur
    Options
    You're what?... Tin roof, rusted!

LOVE THAT SONG!!!

Thanks Maddie!!
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

It's 72 outside but the wind is making it chilly. My DH is digging a large hole to put in an egress window in the basement, it has to be 7 ft wide and 5ft down. He has taken 10 wheel barrels filled with dirt out already and he has a long way to go. Our son is suppose to come and help him the end of the week. Then when we put out house up for sale again we can say we have 4 legal bedrooms instead of 3 bdrms and a bonus room. Actually the basement bedroom is the largest with the largest closet.

Yesterday you remember we went to a small casino not far from our house and I won, well we went this morning and I won again. I am going to use the money to go see my daugter next weekend.

You should see my kitchen counters they are filled with 4 large bowls of tomatoes, 1 bowl of hot peppers, 3 huge bowls of plums and apples and pears, just waiting for me to can them. We eat fresh veggies and fruits every day. Tomorrow my friend is bringing me zucchini and carrots, my counter is almost full.

Marie, what kind of diet are you on? Can you share your menu for a day? My dr took me off blood pressure meds so now I don't take any thing but vitamins and aleve.

Have a great day everyone, I will be back later to read posts.

Chris:happy:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Cris here is my food plan.
    I eat beans, all veggies even root veggies but in moderation. All food measure 1/2 cups even potatoes and my beans however I have not had any potatoes yet So when I do I will watch my blood sugar and see how they effect my blood sugar Here my menu for today.
    \
    Breakfast 1 /4 cup egg beater scramble put 1/4 cup of chilli beans and a small amount of shredded cheese just to make it look better , 1 container of guacomole that has 100 calories Coffee and creamer
    Lunch 1/2 c of black eyes peas, 1/2 c carrots, 1/2 c of cole slaw Will have the same thing tonight except another 1/2 veggies.

I used canned beans rinse them good and usally add 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes Last time I made pinto beans i added a can of turkey chilli with the tomatoes and beans Good mexican dish. Oh I also cook a couple cups of chopped onions , bell pepers and celery in them Yesterday I made Black eyes peas with a 1 1/2 cups of chopped onions, pepper and celery cooked them in pam first...... along with the fire roasted tomatoes. I used a lot of the fire roasted tomatoes. Makes me drink more water
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    Well, I kinda, almost made it thru the day. There is no more "weakness" food in the house so cross your fingers and toes for me.

Nighty, night!! :yawn:

Maddie (A nice song to go to sleep)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sHOLPAwJTI

OMG, I listened to this, then I listened to the Elvis version and then Al Green.....I think I'll cry myself to sleep!!!!