Clean Eating Club ~ January 2009

Let's start the new year by working toward becoming what we want to be -- healthy and full of energy! The 80 Percent Principle says that the body is 10 percent genetics, 10 percent exercise, and 80 percent nutrition. Therefore, in order to improve the way we look and feel, the most important thing that we can do is focus on nutrition!

What is clean eating?

In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods. These include fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (SAD). These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated and trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, artificial sweeteners, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember whether a food is clean is: If it comes in a flashy package and has a long list of ingredients, it's probably highly processed and you wouldn't want to eat it. The goal is to always read ingredients and buy foods with as few as possible.

Anyone who wants to eat cleaner can develop some or all of the following habits:

* Eating 5 to 6 small meals per day
* Eating every 2 to 3 hours
* Combining lean proteins with complex carbohydrates at every meal
* Never skipping a meal, especially breakfast
* Eating whole foods
* Eating healthy fats
* Drinking lots of water
* Eliminating refined sugar and processed foods
* Eliminating alcoholic beverages (another kind of sugar)
* Carrying a supply of healthy foods when away from home
* Making healthy choices when dining out
* Sticking to reasonable portion sizes at all times
* And exercising for both fat loss and muscle gain (cardio and strength training).

(Adapted from http://www.eatingcleanworks.com and the Eat-Clean Diet books by Tosca Reno)

Join the club! Ask questions. Tell us what you're eating. Our goal is to support each other in becoming both leaner and healthier!

Replies

• cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Let's start the new year by working toward becoming what we want to be -- healthy and full of energy! The 80 Percent Principle says that the body is 10 percent genetics, 10 percent exercise, and 80 percent nutrition. Therefore, in order to improve the way we look and feel, the most important thing that we can do is focus on nutrition!

What is clean eating?

In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods. These include fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (SAD). These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated and trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, artificial sweeteners, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember whether a food is clean is: If it comes in a flashy package and has a long list of ingredients, it's probably highly processed and you wouldn't want to eat it. The goal is to always read ingredients and buy foods with as few as possible.

Anyone who wants to eat cleaner can develop some or all of the following habits:

* Eating 5 to 6 small meals per day
    * Eating every 2 to 3 hours
    * Combining lean proteins with complex carbohydrates at every meal
    * Never skipping a meal, especially breakfast
    * Eating whole foods
    * Eating healthy fats
    * Drinking lots of water
    * Eliminating refined sugar and processed foods
    * Eliminating alcoholic beverages (another kind of sugar)
    * Carrying a supply of healthy foods when away from home
    * Making healthy choices when dining out
    * Sticking to reasonable portion sizes at all times
    * And exercising for both fat loss and muscle gain (cardio and strength training).

(Adapted from http://www.eatingcleanworks.com and the Eat-Clean Diet books by Tosca Reno)

Join the club! Ask questions. Tell us what you're eating. Our goal is to support each other in becoming both leaner and healthier!
  • cherapple
    :flowerforyou: Happy New Year!!!

The girls and I were just talking about what a milestone year 2009 is for us. My oldest becomes a teenager and turns 13, my youngest turns 10, and I hit the big 4-0 (in seven days)!!! I am proud of my milestone age because I feel about 25, and that's a major accomplishment for me! It's amazing what a healthy diet and exercise can do for you. :heart: I plan to keep on living this vibrant, youthful life!

What joys are in store for you and your family in 2009?
  • DemonG
    DemonG Posts: 4
    Sounds like a great idea. I'd love to incorporate that into my lifestyle. Can't wait to hear how this works out for everyone...
  • jawaria
    jawaria Posts: 86
    Good Morning and Happy New Year! I'm motivated and I know I can do it!
    I'll be 30 in May eeekkk!!! I'm terrified of that number! But I want to look and feel like I did at 20! That's my number 1 goal! I want to eat healthy and stay healthy!
    My oldest will start school:sad: I can't believe my baby will be off to kindergarten! My hubby will be sending out PHarm School apps and we'll be figuring out our future from there! At this point we r not sure if that is really what we shud be doing...kinda lost! So hoping this year we can figure out a direction!
    We are kinda hippies and if u guy know anything about Indians and Pakistanis, that's not accepted! family pressure about having a 'professinal' career can really stress u out! He has a bachelor's in IT but thejob market is pretty bad...so please pray for us that we find a direction and can learn to ignore all the annoying ppl in our lives!
    I would like to also buy a car this year! We want more kids and it'll be tough without a car!
    lol! those are all the things i'm looking forward to!
    Cher please keep posting your meals and calories! It;'s def. helping! I'm def. more serious and now that I know i have IBS, i need to be more careful! I've been super sick and cannot keep doing t ohis!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Happy New Year!! Let's be the healthiest and strongest that we can be this year! :bigsmile: I feel like at 31 that I'm in better shape than I was even at 25, so I love that! :laugh: My fitness goals are another half marathon in May and a sprint triathlon in June. Eating goals are just to keep it as clean as I can!

Started my NY off w/ a 5 mile run w/ one of my best friends. Then she treated me to Starbucks!!

Coffee:
    Grande Skinny Latte (SF vanilla) with soy. YUMMY!!! (and not feeling so bad w/ 130 cals and 12g protein! :wink: )

Breakfast: (later run so not til 10AM)
    1/2 c. multi grain hot cereal (Quaker), 1/2 c. whole cranberries
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder
    1 T. NM PB, 1 T. wheat germ
    1/2 c. cottage cheese

Not sure on the rest of the day's plans yet but s
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    oh gosh teh new year is be graduating high school :) and starting college in the fall its so crazy. and my friends having her baby. and it'll be me and my boyfriends 2 year anniversary. :) so very excited for all of this.

as for nutrition goes i know i am going to be alot more focused deff. 2009 is gonna be the best year ever. emotionally, physically, and mentally :) i hope this year rocks very much. the only thing that im nervous about is the fact that i am starting college soon. i just hope i do well..pretty nervous :( but i know i have a great support group!!
  • cherapple
    My fitness goals are another half marathon in May and a sprint triathlon in June. Eating goals are just to keep it as clean as I can!

Oh yeah, how could I forget running?!!!! My goal is to run in 2009 -- just run! Any amount that I can do will make me happy! :happy: :cry: :laugh:
  • jessmomof3

Oh yeah, how could I forget running?!!!! My goal is to run in 2009 -- just run! Any amount that I can do will make me happy! :happy: :cry: :laugh:

Yeah, another goal is to just stay injury free so I can KEEP running! :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Lunch:
    La Tortilla High fiber wrap w/ Laughing cow Light cheese & ham
    Baked sweet potato + cinnamon

Snack:
    1 c. NF yogurt + 1 T. NM PB + 1/4 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola

I made my first batch of yogurt in my new yogurt maker, it'll be done in 10 hrs and I'll let you know what I think! :bigsmile:

Off to meet my Mom for dinner, a late minute dinner out! And not even sure where!
  • jawaria
    jawaria Posts: 86
    Quick question! are there any healthier alternatives to those Quaker mini delights? I love the chocolate drizzle ones..satisfies my crunch and chocolate needs...But is there anything that is healthier than these?
  • jessmomof3
    Quick question! are there any healthier alternatives to those Quaker mini delights? I love the chocolate drizzle ones..satisfies my crunch and chocolate needs...But is there anything that is healthier than these?

I like the soy crisps. Meijer brand has them and Quaker makes them also. They come in Sea Salt, BBQ, & Cheddar flavors. The soy crisps are a bit higher in protein than rice cakes. I don't know about chocolate flavors though!
  • jessmomof3
    Dinner: Logan's Steak House
    6oz grilled salmon
    Baked sweet potato (plain)
    And side salad w/ balsamic vinegar
    Yummy!!!

Snack:
    SF hot cocoa made w/ unsweetened soymilk
  • cherapple
    We are kinda hippies and if u guy know anything about Indians and Pakistanis, that's not accepted! family pressure about having a 'professinal' career can really stress u out! He has a bachelor's in IT but thejob market is pretty bad...so please pray for us that we find a direction and can learn to ignore all the annoying ppl in our lives!

We're hippies, too! Hippie homeschoolers, lol! I know all about family pressure. :laugh: You just have to live the life you want to live and forget what everyone else thinks. It's the same with clean eating. Almost no one gets it, and they think we're weird to be different. :ohwell: Oh well! :smile:
  • cherapple
    as for nutrition goes i know i am going to be alot more focused deff. 2009 is gonna be the best year ever. emotionally, physically, and mentally :) i hope this year rocks very much. the only thing that im nervous about is the fact that i am starting college soon. i just hope i do well..pretty nervous :( but i know i have a great support group!!

It must be very tough to eat clean in college! We're here for you! :happy:
  • cherapple
    Meal #1
    Oatmeal, apple, cashews, skim milk, egg whites
    Calories: 362

Meal #2
    Coffee
    2 T half and half
    1/2 T maple syrup
    Calories: 78
    (Not really a meal, but it satisfied me for a little while)

Meal #3
    1/2 c quinoa
    1/2 chicken breast
    Calories: 257

Meal #4
    1/2 c coffee
    1 T half and half
    1/2 c plain lowfat yogurt
    1/4 c cottage cheese
    Banana
    14 almonds
    Calories: 357

Meal #5
    Whole wheat pasta
    1/2 c chunky tomato sauce with tempeh and veggies
    1/2 c green beans
    1 c skim milk
    Calories: 350 (probably more)

Meal #6
    Navel orange
    8 Triscuits
    1/2 T peanut butter
    Calories: 193

Total cals: 1597 (maintenance level)

Exercise: None. It was a rest day. :happy:
  • jessmomof3
    Eats for Jan 2nd...

4 mile run.

Breakfast:
    Usual oatmeal (same as y'day)

Then did my weights- ChaLean Extreme Burn Circuit #3

Snack:
    6oz of my homemade yogurt!! (success, it was good!)
    w/ 1 T. NM PB + 1/4 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola
  • jessmomof3
    Another snack (out running errands):
    Kashi Pumpkin Flax Granola bar
    20 mixed nuts

Late lunch:
    Big salad w/ romaine, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots & turkey w/ red wine vinegar
    Baked sweet potato w/ 1/2 c. cottage cheese + cinnamon

Dinner:
    It's GNO w/ my 2 running buddies. I think they want to go for Mexican so I will make a healthy choice, hopefully a grilled chicken salad of some sort!
  • cherapple
    Jan. 2 Meals

1/2 c dry oatmeal, cooked
    1/4 c cottage cheese
    Sliced apple
    1/4 c skim milk
    1/8 c cashews
    Stevia
    Calories: 367

1/2 c lowfat plain yogurt
    1/4 c lowfat cottage cheese
    14 almonds
    1 T trail mix
    Stevia
    2 slices turkey bacon (it's hard not to eat what my kids eat sometimes)
    Calories: 311

Whole wheat wrap
    2 oz. turkey slices
    1/2 c quinoa
    1/2 c spinach leaves
    Calories: 377

Banana
    1/2 T almond peanut butter
    1 c coffee
    2 T half and half
    Calories: 204

1/2 c brown rice
    1/2 c turkey mushroom stroganoff
    1/2 c beets
    1 c skim milk
    Calories: 511

Exercise: 60 minutes elliptical

Sweets have been tempting lately -- candy, ice cream, chocolate (especially when my kids and my husband eat them) -- but I've successfully avoided them by making healthier choices instead. I wouldn't want to risk binging or having start over form the beginning with cravings and feeling pudgy. I've been "clean" for too long to throw it away now! :happy: PMS is coming soon. Let's hope I can keep the strong attitude!
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Another good day yesterday! We went to my aunt's to play games last night and I am proud to say I didn't have any of the m&m's and soda they were snacking on.

Did a long run of 12 miles today. I have decided to not eat clean on the long runs so I am sure to have energy to finish. Gatorade and a power bar got me through today.

But the rest of the day it's CLEAN for me!

I have realized if I can just stay busy, I don't focus so much on wanting food I know I shouldn't have.
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Jan. 2 Meals

1/2 c dry oatmeal, cooked
    1/4 c cottage cheese
    Sliced apple
    1/4 c skim milk
    1/8 c cashews
    Stevia
    Calories: 367

1/2 c lowfat plain yogurt
    1/4 c lowfat cottage cheese
    14 almonds
    1 T trail mix
    Stevia
    2 slices turkey bacon (it's hard not to eat what my kids eat sometimes)
    Calories: 311

Whole wheat wrap
    2 oz. turkey slices
    1/2 c quinoa
    1/2 c spinach leaves
    Calories: 377

Banana
    1/2 T almond peanut butter
    1 c coffee
    2 T half and half
    Calories: 204

1/2 c brown rice
    1/2 c turkey mushroom stroganoff
    1/2 c beets
    1 c skim milk
    Calories: 511

Exercise: 60 minutes elliptical

Sweets have been tempting lately -- candy, ice cream, chocolate (especially when my kids and my husband eat them) -- but I've successfully avoided them by making healthier choices instead. I wouldn't want to risk binging or having start over form the beginning with cravings and feeling pudgy. I've been "clean" for too long to throw it away now! :happy: PMS is coming soon. Let's hope I can keep the strong attitude!

I am still trying to figure out how to leave comments or reply to whats been said...

Just wanted to say good job! It is not easy eating well when everyone else in the house isn't. My kids like to have ice cream as a treat sometimes after dinner. Ice cream is my weakness!