Clean Eating Club ~ January 2009

Options

Replies

• cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Another good day yesterday! We went to my aunt's to play games last night and I am proud to say I didn't have any of the m&m's and soda they were snacking on.

Did a long run of 12 miles today. I have decided to not eat clean on the long runs so I am sure to have energy to finish. Gatorade and a power bar got me through today.

But the rest of the day it's CLEAN for me!

I have realized if I can just stay busy, I don't focus so much on wanting food I know I shouldn't have.

Twelve miles! :noway: That seems like a LOOONG way to me, about twice as far as I've ever gone! I thought of running today. It was 29 degrees, but the sun was so bright and warm that it wasn't icy. Still, I was afraid of slipping. :grumble:

Way to go on keeping your hands out of the snacks. :happy: My kids' 4H group had pizza today, and I stuck to my tuna wrap, nuts, and grapes.
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Another good day yesterday! We went to my aunt's to play games last night and I am proud to say I didn't have any of the m&m's and soda they were snacking on.

Did a long run of 12 miles today. I have decided to not eat clean on the long runs so I am sure to have energy to finish. Gatorade and a power bar got me through today.

I have realized if I can just stay busy, I don't focus so much on wanting food I know I shouldn't have.

Twelve miles! :noway: That seems like a LOOONG way to me, about twice as far as I've ever gone! I thought of running today. It was 29 degrees, but the sun was so bright and warm that it wasn't icy. Still, I was afraid of slipping. :grumble:

Way to go on keeping your hands out of the snacks. :happy: My kids' 4H group had pizza today, and I stuck to my tuna wrap, nuts, and grapes.

I'm in AZ so the weather is beautiful and perfect for running, but all too soon it will heat up and I will be envious of yours!

I really like pizza - so all I have to say is...WAY TO GO!!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Great job!! And great run!! Yes, you need that Gatorade and carb while running that long. Have a good recovery meal (4:1 carb: protein ratio is best, so 40g carb:10g protein, etc) and then eat clean the rest of the day!
  • cherapple
    Options
    Over two weeks ago, I increased my base calories from 1200 to 1320, and the scale hasn't moved one way or the other. It's good news that I can eat more without gaining! The scale wasn't budging at 1200 either, so now I'm wondering whether I should increase my calories even more and go to 1400 or 1500. I really want the scale to go down (just a few pounds), not stay the same or go up, so it's kind of nerve wracking to eat more! But at least with clean eating, I know I'm adding more nutrition with those. At the very least, I can feel good that the extra calories I eat won't be empty. :happy:

Meals so far for Jan. 4 (I was too tired to post my foods yesterday):

Banana
    1/4 c Grape Nuts
    1/2 c skim milk
    Calories: 245
    (Forgot my protein source. Ooops! Sometimes I revert back to my Weight Watchers habits. :laugh: )

Whole grain oatmeal
    A sliced apple
    1/4 c skim milk
    1/4 c egg whites
    1/8 c cashews
    Calories: 362
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hello CE'ers!!

I woke up starving today!! I'm saying it's increased metabolism. :laugh:

Breakfast:
    1/2 c. multi grain hot cereal, 1/2 c. whole cranberries (I'm almost out!! I'll be sad when they're gone til next year!)
    1/4 c. Fiber One
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder
    1 T. NM PB, 1 T. wheat germ
    1/2 c. cottage cheese

No snack, at church but my tummy was rumbling by 11!! :wink:

Lunch:
    Taco salad ~ Romaine & shredded carrots topped w/ about 3oz lean ground beef & onions,
    1/2 c. FF refried beans, 1/2 c. black beans, medium salsa, & guacamole

Dessert:
    SF Jello Chocolate Fudge mint cup (60 cals)
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    whole cranberries (I'm almost out!! I'll be sad when they're gone til next year!)

The freeze pretty good. I don't have a big freezer so I don't get to freeze to much but if I can get some fresh blueberries, strawberries, cranberries I try to freeze some.

I've been reading this thread and becoming more interested. I think I'm going to try and get the book at the library.
    I see you all seem to eat more chicken & fish. I am not a fish eater and I like chicken but I am a beef eater too. Is beef ok if it's lean?
    I also like a glass of wine with dinner so that I don't know if I want to give up. I also cook with wine. In fact I am making beef tips and they have wine in the sauce.

I'll continue to read the posts and learn some more from you all.
  • cherapple
    Options
    I've been reading this thread and becoming more interested. I think I'm going to try and get the book at the library.
    I see you all seem to eat more chicken & fish. I am not a fish eater and I like chicken but I am a beef eater too. Is beef ok if it's lean?
    I also like a glass of wine with dinner so that I don't know if I want to give up. I also cook with wine. In fact I am making beef tips and they have wine in the sauce.

Hi, Keiko,

It's up to you which clean eating principles you choose to adopt. Few people do every single one. White meat is emphasized over red, so I eat lean ground turkey (did tonight!) instead of beef. Lean cuts of anything are always preferred, of course. But I like full fat sour cream and half and half (also had both of those today). There are no food police here! LOL. :laugh:

Welcome! :heart:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Jan. 4 meals continued:

Coffee
    2 T half and half
    1/2 T maple syrup
    Calories: 66

(I've been in the mood for sweeteners in my coffee lately. On a good note, I have NOT been sweetening my oatmeal or my yogurt with Stevia. I'm trying to get used to unsweetened flavors.)

More coffee
    2T half and half
    1 tsp honey
    Whole grain flatbread
    1 T hommus
    2 oz. turkey slices
    Spinach leaves
    Baked Parmesan fries
    2 T homemade ketchup
    Calories: 458

12 small tortilla chips (1/2 serving)
    Green leaf lettuce
    1/4 c turkey taco meat
    2 T salsa
    2 T sour cream
    1 c skim milk
    1/4 c corn
    Calories: 275

Fruit medley smoothie (ice cream consistency - yum!)
    Calories: 126

Today's exercise: 35 minutes cardio bursts on the elliptical, full body workout on the machines (no abs)

I didn't quite make all my calories today, but I guess it's good to zig zag, some days going over (yesterday I was over), some days being under. :bigsmile:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

Hi, Keiko,

It's up to you which clean eating principles you choose to adopt. Few people do every single one. White meat is emphasized over red, so I eat lean ground turkey (did tonight!) instead of beef. Lean cuts of anything are always preferred, of course. But I like full fat sour cream and half and half (also had both of those today). There are no food police here! LOL. :laugh:

Welcome! :heart:

Thanks for welcoming me Cheryl, I find that if I eat the full fat sour cream I eat less because it has more flavor. When I tried the low or no fat it just seems lacking.
    I have noticed that the healthier my eating gets the more I don't have cravings for things like chips... They were the worst for me. Now they don't even taste that good.
    Kelly
  • jessmomof3
    Options

The freeze pretty good. I don't have a big freezer so I don't get to freeze to much but if I can get some fresh blueberries, strawberries, cranberries I try to freeze some.

Yeah, they were the ones I had in the freezer! I need to see if they still have them out at the stores and stock up! :laugh:

I eat beef also, had some y'day! We get ours from a local farmer though, so it's really lean and yummy!! I don't drink wine, but I think in moderation it is ok. Don't feel like you can't ever eat anything *unclean* again. Just make it a treat and try to keep it at least 80% clean. Welcome to the CE'ers!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Thanks for welcoming me Cheryl, I find that if I eat the full fat sour cream I eat less because it has more flavor. When I tried the low or no fat it just seems lacking.
    I have noticed that the healthier my eating gets the more I don't have cravings for things like chips... They were the worst for me. Now they don't even taste that good.
    Kelly

Yep, your tastes will change as you get used to eating cleaner. I can taste when things are really salty, it's just too overwhelming now! Restaurant food just seems sooo salty to me! And yes, there are no food police here! We're all just doing our best!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    It's Monday! My kiddos are back to school and back to routine around here!

Woke up starving again!

Pre-workout:
    Banana (90 cals)
    Strawberry yogurt (80 cals)

Off to do ChaLean Extreme Burn Circuit #1.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Post workout Breakfast:

1/2 c. multi grain hot cereal (130 cal)
    1/4 c. Fiber one (30)
    1/2 c. whole cranberries (30)
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder (50)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/2 c. cottage cheese (80) = 405 for a very filling breakfast!

Thought I'd post my cal count for a few days just to see where I am!

170 + 405 = 575 so far for today.
  • cherapple
    Options
    Thought I'd post my cal count for a few days just to see where I am!

170 + 405 = 575 so far for today.

Jess, do you not normally count your calories?
  • cherapple
    Options
    Kelly

My main focus is eliminating sugar and processed flours. The fat doesn't bother me so much. I've never liked artificially low fat food, and have always refused to eat "diet" foods. I think that has helped me keep my weight down more than other people over the years, ironically. Real foods are better for your body.
  • Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am so happy that I came across this thread!!! That is my mission for this year and years to follow, staying on the clean eating band wagon. I just read an excellent book emphasizing the clean eating method. I actually started today. I will definately check in here often for support and motivation.

Steph
  • jessmomof3
    Options

I go in cycles. I love MFP and have found it really great for me to keep track. But I also struggle w/ OCD and perfection so sometimes I just stick to eating clean and no counting. So... I guess my answer is... depends on the day. :laugh: But I can tell you pretty much the cal count of everything that I eat also. I don't eat something unless I know the exact serving and measure it out.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I am so happy that I came across this thread!!! That is my mission for this year and years to follow, staying on the clean eating band wagon. I just read an excellent book emphasizing the clean eating method. I actually started today. I will definately check in here often for support and motivation.
    Steph

Hi Steph! I think I recognize your name from BB! Good for you for joining in and post when you can!
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I go in cycles. I love MFP and have found it really great for me to keep track. But I also struggle w/ OCD and perfection so sometimes I just stick to eating clean and no counting. So... I guess my answer is... depends on the day. :laugh: But I can tell you pretty much the cal count of everything that I eat also. I don't eat something unless I know the exact serving and measure it out.

Me too that is me to a tee. Well liking the whole clean eating thing.

Alisha
  • stacyk
    stacyk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I actually bought the cookbook The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook. It has some great recipes and it makes sense. I just need a little boost to get with the program. I ran my first 5k 2 summers ago, did a boot camp last summer which was great, & would like to set the goal for a 1/2 marathon but so far can't get over the 5 mile mark. I am at my heaviest non-pregnant weight which is surprising since I am doing all of this exercise. I'm starting to wonder if what all of those people who say once you turn 40 everything changes is true since I'm 39. I would like to say it's all muscle weight from the exercise but my jeans are tight, I have a muffin top & stomach fat which I have NEVER had, and I just have some flabby issues. Arghh! Hopefully, eating clean is what I need.