Clean Eating Club ~ January 2009

Options

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Just finished up my day with my "treat"... 1/4 cup all bran w/ 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I warmed it in the microwave and it was yummy. The best part is I chose this over the dark chocolate M&M's I had considered first. I am trying to stay away from refined carbs at least until I get the hang of this. I have so much energy eating clean. Nice side effect! :bigsmile:

Good for you! It does help to eat some fiber when you're hungry. I try to stay away from the refined carbs... I like to call them *white crack*. :laugh: Keep it up!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm just posting to get there where I can access it and read it later. I'm interested.

Hope you join in! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Happy happy birthday to my buddy, Cheryl!!!! :flowerforyou: Hope your day is great! Funny that you share a bday w/ my dh too! :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I woke up feeling so great this morning!!! Got up at 6 and got in my workout- ChaLean Burn Intervals. I LOVE this one, it's a mix of cardio intervals and endurance weight training. 45 min of sweat! :laugh:

Breakfast:
    Usual oatmeal with cranberries (463 cals)

Meeting my hubby for lunch for his bday with his work group. He chose Famous Dave's BBQ which I really don't like (that's ok, it's his bday!), so I will probably just show up for a little bit but not eat there. :wink:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    And 22 cups of water and still going in addition 2 big mugs of green tea with xylitol

**22** cups of water!!! :noway:

I'm always amazed and envious of others' abilities to drink so much water. I've always had a hard time with drinking enough because I just don't want it. I have to force myself to drink it, except for when I'm working out.

Got any tips or tricks? :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm always amazed and envious of others' abilities to drink so much water. I've always had a hard time with drinking enough because I just don't want it. I have to force myself to drink it, except for when I'm working out.

Got any tips or tricks? :bigsmile:

I always drink at least a gallon of water a day. I start out my day with 20oz of water (one of Tosca's tricks) and just keep a water bottle with me at all times. I bought my kids these cute water jugs too, they have a little handle and different colored tops so they know which one is theirs. I just refill all day. A lot of times when people think they're hungry, they're really just thirsty.
  • cherapple
    Options
    Meeting my hubby for lunch for his bday with his work group. He chose Famous Dave's BBQ which I really don't like (that's ok, it's his bday!), so I will probably just show up for a little bit but not eat there. :wink:

Thank you for the Happy Birthday wishes!

I started out my day with the gift to myself of a easy mile-and-a-half on the treadmill. There's NOTHING like a good run to make your day! :bigsmile: I've stayed away from treadmills for the past year because of injuries after being a treadmill junkie last winter, but I think I'm going to start doing a short treadmill run once a week until the weather warms up.

We plan to go to Panera for my birthday tonight. I can get a nice salad with chicken, and I'll avoid the bread. For a treat, I may have my daughter make me a fruit smoothie once we get home.

Hope your hubby has a great day, Jess!
  • cherapple
    Options
    I always drink at least a gallon of water a day. I start out my day with 20oz of water (one of Tosca's tricks) and just keep a water bottle with me at all times. I bought my kids these cute water jugs too, they have a little handle and different colored tops so they know which one is theirs. I just refill all day. A lot of times when people think they're hungry, they're really just thirsty.

We all have nice stainless steel water bottles in my family, but I just don't drink it, even if I keep a bottle filled and have it with me at all time. And then there's the insomnia caused by having to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. :grumble: Maybe I should just start out slowly, adding a cup a day, so that my body (and my daily habits) can adjust. It'll be like the 100 Push-ups thread! The "100 cups of water" challenge! LOL :laugh: (Jeesh, for some of you it would take only four days to get there.)
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    HAPPY B-DAY CHERYL!!!!

I usually don't have a problem with water since it is so dry here I am thirsty all of the time. I have a hard time keeping my minerals in my body though so I have to take whole food supplements or my potassium gets too low. It runs in my family. I think I will get some oranges next week to add in with the bananas to help boost it up.

I hope you can't OD on fiber, according to MFP I went over by 22 grams yesterday lol! Needed something to soak up the 24 cups of water !

So here's breakfast-
    omelet with fresh spinach, FF mozzarella and a little onion
    1 slice of Trader Joe's organic sprouted gain flourless bread
    1 tsp marmalade
    1/2 caff coffee with half n half and xylitol

1st snack will be
    Trader Joe's Tortilla Chips w/an Identity Crisis
    carrot sticks
    almonds

I did 10 min on the recumbent bike this morning and will do another 15 this evening. Have to start out slow due to my knees.

Have a great day!
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jawaria
    jawaria Posts: 86
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Just stopping by to say hi! I've been doing good lately. I just need to get equally motivated to excercise! But slow and steady wins the race!!! I hope:) I'm still craving my chocolate and at times cake!!! Maybe it's a particular texture that i am craving...but i have been controlling my cravings!
    I have been eating deli meat for lunch...do u guys have any suggestions if any 1 is better than the other!?
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Finally here to post my day!!

Breakfast:
    Usual oatmeal + cranberries (463)

Snack:
    Homemade yogurt (80 cals)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/2 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (140) = 305

Met dh for lunch, but just had an iced tea. No healthy options and I wasn't hungry yet!

McD's:
    12oz NF SF vanilla latte (80)

Snack:
    Same as morning snack (305)
    Apple (80)

Dinner:
    Whole grain tortilla (100)
    Laughing Cow Light Cheese wedge (35)
    Chicken breast (150)
    Romaine (30)
    Jello SF choc. fudge mint cup(60) = 365

Snack:
    SF hot cocoa (144)

Total = 1,742
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! It's been a few days... I did have one slip up but got right back on track the following day. So, I was proud of that.:happy:

Cheryl - Happy Birthday! I want to be as healthy as you when I am forty! You inspire me! My class at the Y was cancelled tonight so I did the elliptical for 20 minutes. You are amazing to me to be able to go for 50 minutes!!

Jess - Your arms look great! You are well on your way to your 5 pound goal!

Amy - Welcome! I am trying to drink way more water after hearing how much you drink! My problem in the winter is that I don't like to be cold and drinking a lot of water makes me chilly! You are doing great!

Jawaria - Great job on controlling your cravings! That is where I slipped up on Sunday night:angry:
    Thanks for the example!

I have decided to get me family of 6 to eat more like me. I'm tired of fixing my food AND their food.:grumble: And how nice it would be for my kids to start now instead of waiting until their my age!

Tonight they had whole grain pasta with sauce and chicken, green beans and homemade whole wheat rolls. I didn't have any whiners. If I could just find a good recipe for whole wheat, sugarless brownies that still taste yummy!
  • cherapple
    Options
    Jan. 8 Meals

Banana - preworkout (20 mins. treadmill, 15 mins. elliptical #1, 15 mins. elliptical #2)
    Cals: 105

Oatmeal, 1 c cooked
    Apple, sliced
    Skim milk, 1/4 c
    Egg whites, 1/4 c
    Flax, 1 T
    Cals: 302

Lowfat plain yogurt, 1/2 c
    Lowfat cottage cheese, 1/4 c
    Cashews, 1/8 c
    Cals: 185

Whole grain bread, 1 slice
    Almond peanut butter, 1 T
    Navel orange
    Green grapes, 1 c
    Cals: 349

Clif bar, 1/2
    Cals: 125

Panera Fuji Apple Chicken Salad
    Cals: 570

Homemade berry smoothie
    Hershey kisses, 3 :blushing:
    Chocolate peanut cluster :blushing:
    Cals: 265

Totals
    Cals: 1901
    Protein: 88
    Carbs: 261
    Fat: 69

There is something about eating out that throws me off every single time! I just can't seem to master the art of clean dining. The portions are always too large, much bigger than I am now used to eating at one time, and of course if you put that much food in front of me, I'm going to eat it. My salad at Panera was big enough for four people! And I felt physically terrible after finishing it. Plus the dressing was sweetened, so when I got home, I ended up sneaking into my kids' chocolate! (I also had a tiny taste of a white chocolate covered coffee bean that my daughter had bought earlier in the day. I nibbled half of it and threw the rest away. That could have been enough to get the "crack"-addiction started, too.) Arrrgh. It had been several weeks since I had eaten anything like that.

Yesterday was a crazy day, in general. I'm glad it's over and I can begin today with a "clean" slate! :laugh:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Cheryl - Happy Birthday! I want to be as healthy as you when I am forty! You inspire me! My class at the Y was cancelled tonight so I did the elliptical for 20 minutes. You are amazing to me to be able to go for 50 minutes!!

I have decided to get me family of 6 to eat more like me. I'm tired of fixing my food AND their food.:grumble: And how nice it would be for my kids to start now instead of waiting until their my age!

Thank you, dalawna!

My secret to staying on the elliptical for so long is music! I have all my music arranged on my iPod by BPM, so I just choose the speed that I want and go. I make it a goal to get through every song, one at a time, until the timer on the machine ends. Sometimes I pretend I'm dancing or playing Guitar Hero. :laugh: Exercising on machines always drove me crazy before the invention of MP3 players. Of course, I'd rather be running outside in the fresh air, but at least exercising inside on machines is tolerable now, and even fun.

I have the same situation with food in my house -- everyone usually wants something different to eat. I make it, within reason, but it can be frustrating! I set a healthy example for my kids, and talk to them about why I eat the way I do, but I won't force them to adopt my eating habits. I prefer that they learn to gauge their own body's reaction to foods and to make their own choices based upon that. I want them to acquire those skills sooner rather than later. But it's not always easy to watch the choices they make, that's for sure!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    There is something about eating out that throws me off every single time! I just can't seem to master the art of clean dining. The portions are always too large, much bigger than I am now used to eating at one time, and of course if you put that much food in front of me, I'm going to eat it. My salad at Panera was big enough for four people! And I felt physically terrible after finishing it. Plus the dressing was sweetened, so when I got home, I ended up sneaking into my kids' chocolate! (I also had a tiny taste of a white chocolate covered coffee bean that my daughter had bought earlier in the day. I nibbled half of it and threw the rest away. That could have been enough to get the "crack"-addiction started, too.) Arrrgh. It had been several weeks since I had eaten anything like that.

Yesterday was a crazy day, in general. I'm glad it's over and I can begin today with a "clean" slate! :laugh:

I think you did very well for your bday!!!! A little chocolate on your bday is much better than a big slice of cake (aka, crack! :laugh: ). My worst problem is BUFFETS!! I just run away from them now!! The last couple times we have been out for Chinese buffet I've gotten sick after eating so that kind of cured me!! You're right that portion sizes are huge. I always ask for dressing on the side and just oil & vinegar so I can control how much I put on it. My favorite is FlatTop Grill where I am eating as a bday lunch w/ my dh today!! (a day late. :laugh: ) You can PILE it with veggies, add some lean protein, and use just a little sauce. And they have brown rice too!
  • jessmomof3
    Options

My secret to staying on the elliptical for so long is music! I have all my music arranged on my iPod by BPM, so I just choose the speed that I want and go. I make it a goal to get through every song, one at a time, until the timer on the machine ends. Sometimes I pretend I'm dancing or playing Guitar Hero. :laugh: Exercising on machines always drove me crazy before the invention of MP3 players. Of course, I'd rather be running outside in the fresh air, but at least exercising inside on machines is tolerable now, and even fun.

I have the same situation with food in my house -- everyone usually wants something different to eat. I make it, within reason, but it can be frustrating! I set a healthy example for my kids, and talk to them about why I eat the way I do, but I won't force them to adopt my eating habits. I prefer that they learn to gauge their own body's reaction to foods and to make their own choices based upon that. I want them to acquire those skills sooner rather than later. But it's not always easy to watch the choices they make, that's for sure!

Me too! I LOVE my ipod. I use http://www.cardiocoach.com which are downloadable mp3 workouts that really motivate and push you.

As for the food situation. It takes an adjustment period at first. I don't make my kids eat perfectly, but they have to try what I fix. They have gotten used to whole grain pasta, brown rice, and I've only ever bought whole grain bread. They won't even eat the white bread that they serve at school sometimes! :laugh: I do buy them snacks like pretzels or goldfish that I don't eat but they usually snack on fruit, yogurt, string cheese, etc. We talk a lot about healthy choices and they know how important healthy foods are to your body. I think it was an eye opener for my 10yr old when she went on a camping trip w/ our good friends & their dd last summer. They packed typical camping food- hot dogs, white buns, chips, desserts, soda. She ate one meal of junk and ended up throwing up because she felt so terrible. She came home to tell me that now she knew why I didn't eat junk food. :laugh: So just keep helping them make better choices and they will see how much better they feel too!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    TGIF!!! I did Burn Circuit #3, Ab Burner, and my 30 pushups (goal this year is 30 a day no matter what!).

Breakfast:
    1/2 c. multi grain hot cereal (130)
    1/4 c. Fiber one (30)
    Blueberries (40)
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder (50)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/2 c. cottage cheese (80) = 415

Off to MOMS group, and then meeting my dh at FlatTop Grill for lunch, a make your own stir fry place. Not sure how to judge my calories, but I will eat a ton of veggies, some chicken, and brown rice! Yummy!
  • imworthit
    Options
    I went to the Y today and did a step class and got on the scale afterwards....

Down 1 1/2 pounds!

Hooray for clean eating and exerciser! I'ts amazing how empowering it makes you feel! I just need to keep it up through the weekend. That's where I run into trouble!
  • imworthit
    Options
    I totally was wishen I had my ipod with me. Next time. I'm sure it would have made a huge difference. Instead I had to listen the girls next to me talking about how one of them left their husband that whole saga, with every other word being a swear word. UUGGHH!

My kids are 10, 8,5 and 2 so I can still make a huge impact on the way they eat and think about food. I made whole wheat pizza the other day and they liked it. They are enjoying brown rice, whole wheat pancakes yesterday morning, and I make whole wheat bread weekly. We could improve on the packaged snack food. I told them I wasn't going to buy any more packaged treats, I will just make some healthy alternatives and freeze them so they are ready to go. It definately takes more time and usually money to eat healthy. No wonder so many Americans are overweight, especially kids. The other food is much quicker and usually cheaper. Everybody is so busy and those foods are a quick meal.

The last 2 mornings for breakfast I have had:
    3 egg whites, scrambled
    1 part skim mozzerlla (SP?) stick, cut in slices
    Taco sauce
    I put it all in a whole grain Kangaroo pocket (80 cal)
    Maybe a fruit if I'm still hungry. It is tasty!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bumpin so I can find a bit later:flowerforyou:

Greetings all you healthy beings!:happy: