Clean Eating Club ~ January 2009

Options

Replies

• jawaria
    jawaria Posts: 86
    Options
    Hello Ladies! I am proud to say that I've been doing good lately! actually I'm proud of the fact that even with TOM, i'm doing good! let's hope i continue...Now only if I could say the same about working out! Does carrying my 32 pound 2 year old counts? he refuses to walk!

Oh my hubby created a healthy recipe for snacking! Basically spray the frying pan with olive oil and use about a can of chick peas...i just buy raw so i just measure about a cup...just put them in the opan and sprinkle a bit of red chilli powder, lemon juice, and some mango powder! just keep turning the peas every few mins...after 10 mins the chickpeas will be crunchy and ready to eat!
    Thought I'd share it since i am always craving flavour!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Lunch:
    Fage Total 0% yogurt (90)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/2 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (140)
    Fuji Apple (80) = 395

No snack, out running errands so that's why I'm so hungry! Will update dinner after I eat... meatloaf muffins in the oven and it smells yummy! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Dinner:
    1 meatloaf muffin (160)
    Baked sweet potato (160)
    1/4 c. cottage cheese (40)
    2/3 c. peas (70)
    Light soymilk (80) = 510

Only at 1,235 for the day so I will have a snack in a bit. That's what happens when I miss my morning & afternoon snacks!! :laugh:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to wonder if what all of those people who say once you turn 40 everything changes is true since I'm 39. I would like to say it's all muscle weight from the exercise but my jeans are tight, I have a muffin top & stomach fat which I have NEVER had, and I just have some flabby issues. Arghh! Hopefully, eating clean is what I need.

Oh, don't say that! I turn 40 in ... 3 days!!! :noway: :laugh:

They say that the body is 80 percent diet, 10 percent exercise, and 10 percent genetics, so I do think you will see a big improvement once you start eating clean. I actually feel like I'm in my 20s, and there are plenty of fit people over 40 -- look at Tosca Reno! It can be done! Age doesn't mean you have to get flabby. You do have to be more vigilant about what you eat though, and about exercising.

Do you lift weights? Because that has made all the difference with me, totally changed my body. I wish I had known what it would do for me a couple decades ago! I am only 7 pounds lighter than when I wore a size 12, but I can comfortably wear a size 6 or 8 now. It's amazing!
  • cherapple
    Options
    Oh my hubby created a healthy recipe for snacking! Basically spray the frying pan with olive oil and use about a can of chick peas...i just buy raw so i just measure about a cup...just put them in the opan and sprinkle a bit of red chilli powder, lemon juice, and some mango powder! just keep turning the peas every few mins...after 10 mins the chickpeas will be crunchy and ready to eat!
    Thought I'd share it since i am always craving flavour!

I've never seen raw chick peas. I'll have to look. That sounds like a very interesting snack!
  • cherapple
    Options

Jess, do you not normally count your calories?

I go in cycles. I love MFP and have found it really great for me to keep track. But I also struggle w/ OCD and perfection so sometimes I just stick to eating clean and no counting. So... I guess my answer is... depends on the day. :laugh: But I can tell you pretty much the cal count of everything that I eat also. I don't eat something unless I know the exact serving and measure it out.

Sometime soon I'm going to have to try the no counting for a week or two and see how it goes. The experience of raising my calorie level and seeing that I haven't gained is making me less afraid of calories. I pretty much eat the same things all the time anyway, and I have the clean-eating cookbooks for when I want something different. I don't know the calorie counts of the foods I eat because I don't have to when MFP keeps track of it all and does all the math for me! :laugh: After doing the WW points system on my own (no online) for so long, I really don't want to count anything anymore, or memorize values for foods.. I do want to keep journaling my foods, though, and somehow hold myself accountable for what goes in my mouth! Something in me always longs for a free-for-all! :laugh:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to wonder if what all of those people who say once you turn 40 everything changes is true since I'm 39.

If that's true I'm in real trouble. I just turned 49!
  • cherapple
    Options
    Meals for Jan. 5

Oatmeal, apple, skim milk, egg whites
    = 276 cals

Green leaf lettuce, turkey taco meat, 12 small tortilla chips, salsa
    Yogurt, cottage cheese, cashews
    = 350 cals

Whole grain bread, 1/2 T peanut butter, banana, 14 almonds
    Tea with half and half
    = 390 cals

Flatbread and tuna
    Clif Nectar cocao bar
    = 360 cals

1 whole egg and two egg whites omelet with peppers, onions, and mushrooms, 1/2 c whole wheat pasta
    = 178 cals

Exercise: None :frown: (Slept too late, and then was too hungry, and too busy rest of day.)
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Cheryl can I get your recipe for homemade ketchup?
    Amy
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Snack:
    1/2 grapefruit (40)
    Silk (unsweetened) soymilk (80)
    1 T. Hershey's cocoa powder (20)
    1 Dove Dark chocolate promise (44) = 184

Total: 1664

(realized I didn't add my banana & yogurt to the database earlier, so I was a little higher in cals than I thought!) Good range for me, I like to stick between 1600- 1800. :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Sometime soon I'm going to have to try the no counting for a week or two and see how it goes. The experience of raising my calorie level and seeing that I haven't gained is making me less afraid of calories. I pretty much eat the same things all the time anyway, and I have the clean-eating cookbooks for when I want something different. I don't know the calorie counts of the foods I eat because I don't have to when MFP keeps track of it all and does all the math for me! :laugh: After doing the WW points system on my own (no online) for so long, I really don't want to count anything anymore, or memorize values for foods.. I do want to keep journaling my foods, though, and somehow hold myself accountable for what goes in my mouth! Something in me always longs for a free-for-all! :laugh:

I decided to take the holidays off from tracking everything at MFP. I still tried to make good choices, but just needed a *break*. I'm in a challenge now w/ my BIL to lose 5# by Valentine's Day so I'm going to track more regularly until then again. :wink: Journaling is great. You still *see* what you're eating and aren't tempted to snack off your kids plates (I mean, who wants to admit that?? :laugh: ).
  • cherapple
    Options
    Mmmm, I love ketchup!

:flowerforyou: Homemade Ketchup

12 oz tomato past
    1/2 c cider vinegar
    1/2 c water
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp oregano
    1/8 tsp cumin
    1/8 tsp nutmeg
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp mustard powder
    squeeze of garlic from press

Source: The New Laurel's Kitchen (a great whole-foods cookbook, although it's vegetarian)

I half the recipe, and I also don't like all the spices, so I just use the tomato paste, vinegar, water, salt, and 1/4 tsp onion powder. You may need to add extra water to get the consistency you want. You could also add Stevia (or other non-calorie sweetener) to it, if you want some sweetness. I don't mind it unsweetened. (I'm really getting used to unsweetened foods.)

UPDATE:
    This was good when I first made it, but it got hard in the fridge (it jelled). I don't remember it doing that before. Anyway, it can't hurt to try it. You might have better luck. I'll keep making it because I prefer to avoid the store-bought versions.
  • cherapple
    Options
    Journaling is great. You still *see* what you're eating and aren't tempted to snack off your kids plates (I mean, who wants to admit that?? :laugh: ).

We are mommies, not garbage disposals, LOL! It is not our responsibility to clean our children's plates. :laugh:
  • Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi Jess!!!

Thanks for the welcome! Yup you sure have seen me on BB site! :happy:! I realize that nomatter how much I work out Im not going to get the results I know I can if my eating isnt on point! I made a vow to keep eating clean a long term comittment. I have been overtraining and putting my body in that starvation modethinkingt hat was going to get me to where I needed to be. I was soooo wrong!!

Steph
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Cheryl thanks for recipe! Looks yummy.
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Just wanted to say that I have all Tosca Reno's books and subscribe to the Clean Eating magazine. I have even emailed Tosca and she has emailed me back. I love her! I have lost 60lbs using the clean eating method but now I want to meet other dieters. Thats why I am on this website. Thank you for posting your menus. Its fun to see what others are eating as well. I am a big girl but would love to be a part of the "Clean Eating club"! Teri

120408.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal
  • cherapple
    Options
    Welcome, Teridene!

I just subscribed to Clean Eating Magazine, too. It's such a great magazine. I can't wait to hear more about your weight loss experience with clean eating! How did you hear about it, and how long have you been doing it? Congrats on losing 60lbs!

I've been eating clean since just before Thanksgiving. I made it through the holidays without falling off the wagon! :happy: I haven't seen any weight loss really, but I feel leaner, healthier, and happier. The biggest change is that I feel like I've gotten my appetite and cravings under control.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Mmmm, I love ketchup!
    Homemade Ketchup

Very interesting!! I have been buying organic ketchup (Meijer brand) because my dd's love ketchup on everything and the *normal* stuff is loaded w/ HFCS! Thanks for the recipe!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi there! Just wanted to say that I have all Tosca Reno's books and subscribe to the Clean Eating magazine. I have even emailed Tosca and she has emailed me back. I love her! I have lost 60lbs using the clean eating method but now I want to meet other dieters. Thats why I am on this website. Thank you for posting your menus. Its fun to see what others are eating as well. I am a big girl but would love to be a part of the "Clean Eating club"! Teri

Welcome!! I love the CE magazine too! Congrats on the 60# loss!! I have lost 70# since I had my 3rd child (about 30# since I started CE). Join on in!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi Jess!!!

Thanks for the welcome! Yup you sure have seen me on BB site! :happy:! I realize that nomatter how much I work out Im not going to get the results I know I can if my eating isnt on point! I made a vow to keep eating clean a long term comittment. I have been overtraining and putting my body in that starvation modethinkingt hat was going to get me to where I needed to be. I was soooo wrong!!

Steph

Yep, I love the quote... You can't outrun a bad diet!! :laugh: