Clean Eating Club ~ January 2009

Options

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    G'morning! I did my ChaLean Push Circuit #2- lifting heavy for 6-8 reps. Felt great! :bigsmile: Really worked the shoulders well!

Breakfast:
    The usual oatmeal (460)

Kiddos home due to -20* temps!! BRRRR, we won't be going anywhere today! :huh: Must stay out of the kitchen when it's not meal time! :laugh:
  • katattack
    Options
    Hey guys!! I just noticed this post now - i'm a little late i guess but would love to join! I recently gave up refined sugars, cigarettes, processed foods, and replaced them with food that's medium or low on the GI scale. Trying to be really mindful of how long i've fueled my body for based on the foods I put into my mouth.

How does this work? I noticed people are posting what they ate in the day? Exercise things? How often do people here post? (the 7 pages of posts were daunting so i just skimmed the first few!)

Thanks guys!
  • Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hello Everybody!

All is well on this end! I woke up HUNGRY! All through my workout I was thinking about the nice BIG breakfast I was going to have. I went to bed thinking about Breakfast in the morning. What is that about? Anyway I did Taebo for 60 mins this morning along with Ab work!

I made a slamming breakfast:
    4 egg whites 1 yolk, 2 sl whole wheat toast, 1 Morning Start Veggie Sausage, 1 Veggie Cheese Slice, tsp Ketchup for taste. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! I Devoured it! I feel great.

Snack:
    1 Cheese stick and 1 pear.

Lunch:
    1 Lean Cusine Mushroom & Spinach Pizza w. 1 cup steamed Spinach

Dinner:
    1 Morning Star Garden Burger w. 1 cup Spinach

Additional PM meal:
    1 cup Fiber One Honey Cluster Cereal w. 1 bananna, 1 cup FF milk.

Additional Snack
    Low Fat Quaker Oats Granola

PM workout: 40 mins Airclimber or 30 Min Cardio Express & 10 Min Pilates.

Steph
  • Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!! I just noticed this post now - i'm a little late i guess but would love to join! I recently gave up refined sugars, cigarettes, processed foods, and replaced them with food that's medium or low on the GI scale. Trying to be really mindful of how long i've fueled my body for based on the foods I put into my mouth.

How does this work? I noticed people are posting what they ate in the day? Exercise things? How often do people here post? (the 7 pages of posts were daunting so i just skimmed the first few!)

Thanks guys!

Hello and welcome! I have been posting my meals and workouts. Helps to keep me acountable. I try to come here daily.

Steph
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Thank you!:smile:
    I don't know where you are in your weight lifting experience, but Denise Austin videos are geared toward beginners. A lot of people believe that women need to lift weights differently than men -- lighter weights and higher reps -- but it's just not true. You won't add muscle that way, and when you DO add muscle, most women don't need to worry about bulking up too much. We don't have enough testosterone to look like men. Weight lifting will make your body smaller and tighter in most areas, not bigger.

If you really want to add muscle and increase your metabolism, you need to lift the heaviest weight with which you can complete 8-12 reps in good form. You should always be working toward muscle failure, the point at which you can't do any more reps. But don't hurt yourself by jumping to too heavy weights too quickly! (I've done that!)

All that being said, the triceps are small muscles, so you will use lighter weights there than you would on larger muscle groups like legs -- and I'm a tricep wimp! :laugh: I've always tended to use lower weights on my triceps, but that's going to change now, I think! :wink:

Great response, Cheryl!! I think Denise is great for starting out, but she does a lot of reps with lighter weight which really won't help you build muscle. And yes, as Cheryl said you will NOT bulk up or look like a man. I can lift very heavy but do not look manly. :laugh: But work your way up to it to prevent injuries. And I LOVE to work the triceps now! (I used to hate it before too!)

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Thanks guys!

Welcome! We usually just post our workouts & food for the day. It works great to keep myself accountable and I love getting other ideas from everyone here! So just join in! Great job giving up cigarettes too!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Snack:
    1 c. Meijer NF yogurt (140)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/4 c. Nature's Path Pomegran Plus cereal (and I'm out!! -83)
    1/4 c. Kashi GoLean Crunch (48)
    Fuji Apple (80) = 436

Lunch:
    La Tortilla Smart & Delicious Low Carb tortilla (80)
    Laughing Cow Light Cheese wedge (35)
    1 T. Hummus (35)
    6 slices shaved Chicken breast (50) = 200

Snack:
    1/2 c. 4% cottage cheese (all out of fat free, I really need to go to the store!! - 110)
    Walnuts (90) = 200
  • MrsJ
    MrsJ Posts: 27
    Options
    Hey everyone. I am new started yesturday and I write down my food in a journal...here goes....

Breakefast @ 9:00am
    toddler bowl of oatmeal with raisins
    2 hard boiled egg whites
    half an orange 2 tall glasses of water

Snack @ 11:00
    3 slices deli sliced turkey with spinach and spicy mustard wrapped in low fat flour tortilla

Lunch @ 1:00 (now)
    broccoli salad from Safeway
    another tortilla wrap
    handful wasabi peas 48 ounces of water
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I am new started yesturday and I write down my food in a journal...here goes....

Breakefast @ 9:00am
    toddler bowl of oatmeal with raisins
    2 hard boiled egg whites
    half an orange 2 tall glasses of water

Snack @ 11:00
    3 slices deli sliced turkey with spinach and spicy mustard wrapped in low fat flour tortilla

Lunch @ 1:00 (now)
    broccoli salad from Safeway
    another tortilla wrap
    handful wasabi peas 48 ounces of water

Welcome, MrsJ!

I had to laugh at the "toddler bowl of oatmeal" because you should see my bowl every morning! I eat a cup of cooked oatmeal, but then I put a whole apple in it, which really bulks it up, so it's huge! I love my giant bowl of oatmeal! :bigsmile:

Your meals look great.
  • cherapple
    Options

Thanks guys!

We'll be starting a new thread every month to help keep the size down. I post every day, and I like to see what everyone else is eating and how their workouts are going. Clean eating and exercise go hand in hand because it's a diet that helps you lose fat while keeping or gaining muscle. You can post whatever and whenever you want -- questions, or tips for clean eating, frustrations, successes, etc.!

Great to have you here, and great job on changing so many habits at once!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Rest of my day...

Dinner:
    1 c. homemade chili (285)
    1/4 c. FF cheddar (45)
    Jello SF choc. pudding cup (60) = 390

Snack:
    SF hot cocoa (144)

Total: 1,831 Felt extra hungry today so I went with it. :wink: I know I burned more calories with the cold weather. :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options

I had to laugh at the "toddler bowl of oatmeal" because you should see my bowl every morning! I eat a cup of cooked oatmeal, but then I put a whole apple in it, which really bulks it up, so it's huge! I love my giant bowl of oatmeal! :bigsmile:

Your meals look great.

Me too! :laugh: My oatmeal breakfast is huge but it fills me up and keeps me going all morning! :bigsmile: Welcome, MrsJ!! :flowerforyou:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Meals:

1) Oatmeal, apple, skim milk, flax, cashews
    2) Yogurt, cottage cheese, almonds, banana
    3) Flatbread, turkey, hommus, spinach leaves, black coffee
    4) Turkey burger, whole grain bread, Drew's dressing, spinach leaves, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese
    5) Hot cocoa, 8 triscuits

Almost forgot water!! 7 cups -- not the best, but I figured out that I've been drinking more water than I thought. The cups I've been using hold 12 oz., and I've been estimating 8! I also do better with small cups, rather than a large jug. I know I can always drink another small cup of water. It's the big ones that are overwhelming.

Exercise: Legs, back, biceps, and calves

I must get to the grocery store tomorrow. I'm running out of all my favorite foods, and that's a dangerous proposition! :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I must get to the grocery store tomorrow. I'm running out of all my favorite foods, and that's a dangerous proposition! :laugh:

Me too!!! I've gotta get out of the house!! I'm going to head to the Y and then grocery shop, my hubby will be home from work! :bigsmile:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Me too!!! I've gotta get out of the house!! I'm going to head to the Y and then grocery shop, my hubby will be home from work! :bigsmile:

I think I'll do the exact same thing. I'm going to the gym first thing in the morning, and the grocery store is right next door. Who cares if I'm all sweaty? :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I think I'll do the exact same thing. I'm going to the gym first thing in the morning, and the grocery store is right next door. Who cares if I'm all sweaty? :bigsmile:

Glad I could give you a plan. I just pack my shower stuff and clothes because I usually swim anyway. :wink: I'm dying to get out!! :huh:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Glad I could give you a plan. I just pack my shower stuff and clothes because I usually swim anyway. :wink: I'm dying to get out!! :huh:

Not me. I just go to the store sweaty and shower at home. I don't want to have to pack all that stuff. :bigsmile: I'm dying to get out today, too! I've been housebound with my sick kid for almost a week! Yesterday she said she was ready to get out today, though!! :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Not me. I just go to the store sweaty and shower at home. I don't want to have to pack all that stuff. :bigsmile: I'm dying to get out today, too! I've been housebound with my sick kid for almost a week! Yesterday she said she was ready to get out today, though!! :smile:

Yeah, I do that if I'm not swimming. Gotta get that chlorine off of me if I swim! :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I got out of the house!! :bigsmile: Went to the Y and then to Wal*mart, big day out! :laugh: My van said -16* when I left at 7AM! :huh:

Pre-workout:
    Melaleuca Access bar (110)

Ran a good hard 6 miles on the TM, watching the news story about the plane crash in the Hudson. AMAZING!! :noway:

Post-workout:
    McD's NF SF latte (80)
    Quaker High fiber cinnamon swirl oatmeal to go bar (210, not the *cleanest* choice, but I was at the store and it sounded good!)

Need to go eat something now, feeling yucky. :huh:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I heard about this thread. I'm joining to help myself become more aware and to get new ideas.

Today's meal:
    Breakfast: Cereal
    Lunch: Chicken Pita Pocket (olives, lettuce, chicken, cucumbers), apple
    Dinner: ??