Right age to get married??

Options

Replies

• Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Wife and I got married in 1999 at 19 (Me) and 20 (Her). Still married, 2 kids and one on the way. We've changed lots of jobs, both finished college, I've gone to graduate school, and on and on... We've just learned how to grow together.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    haha I live in Ireland...and there medicine is an undergraduate course which is 5 years in length. You basically start med school straight out of highschool:) haha... and if we want to practice in states we just take the USMLE's which I took just as american doctors do! and we do have a lot of americans/canadians studying here too who are gonna go back work in states...

And no its not a 3rd world country....
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    It depends on the people.
    I'm about to get married next year & I'll be 24, he'll be 20.
    When you find the right guy, why wait?

kinda like me and my hubby he was 20 and i was 23 had turned 23 like 2 weeks before lol
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a right age to get married. However, there is a stigma against men who aren't married by a certain age (say 35). My one friend said she would be wary of a guy who's 35, who has no kids and has never been married. She thinks they would be a permanent bachelor who's afraid of commitment.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Theres no right or wrong answer for everyone. But I think you wanting to get your career and life going first is an excellent plan! I got married at 21 and had a baby a couple of months later. That was NOT good timing. haha
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hell I am 29 and still not even ready to be married! Not saying I wouldn't consider it I guess! But I enjoy being single still ha
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I could never picture myself married...I saw how well that worked out for my mom! I could however always picture myself with a daughter.

I was engaged and SO thankful I called it off! I still can't picture myself married honestly...

I had my daughter (who was a surprise pregnancy) 16days before my 21st bday. I kinda love that she'll be raised before I'm 40. Not sure I want any more kids or if I ever want to get married. Maybe so I can dress up real pretty for the day :laugh:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I got married at 24, he was 32. Worked for me. I don't regret anything.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I just got married and I'm 31. My husband is 30. Our whole lives we were very ambitious, motivated individuals, so we both chose to focus on our careers.

I love Dan with all my heart and I'm glad that I waited until I was settled in a well-paying job before getting married.

However, I think each person is different!:-)

Shannon
  • lizzie2190
    lizzie2190 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I got married 2 weeks ago and im 28, we should have done it sooner i think, we got married on our 11 year anniversary x
  • DancingPixie
    DancingPixie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I got married nearly 3weeks ago im 20! We also have 2 children we always wanted too marry eachother n infact i married my best friend <3 This was the perfect age for us way i see it is age is just a number its the maturity within the person that matters xxx
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 and my fiance is 26. we've been together for almost 6 1/2 years, and I wanted to be married by no later then 22. ha how things happen! I'll be 25 and he'll be just a month shy of 28 when we tie the knot. and I DON'T want babies EVER! :flowerforyou:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I got married at 20, started having kids at 23 and will be celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary this year. For me, it was the best decision I've made. But YMMV.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend and i have been together for 5 years (since i was 18) and constantly get asked why we arent married or when we will be married. it's alot of pressure, nobody understands that its just not something i was to do before i'm 25. sure, we're practically married anyway, what can a piece of paper hurt? but i see it as a whole other responsibility that would change our relationship in a huge way. it might make it so much better, but it would most likely put an unnecessary strain and pressure on us right now. when we're ready, we'll know. and it will be great! :)
  • allison_joan
    Options
    I'm 21 and not married but I do have a 2 year old. I'm still with my sons father and we have a great, stable relationship but I don't want to get married till I get my degree and have a career and a stable "home" life.
  • Reapette
    Options
    i think it depends on the couple. I am 22 and been engaged for 3 years now. We are getting married April 2012. We also have a 1 year old daughter. Some people prefer to wait later in life but to me just settling down and thinking about marriage at 27 is pushing the maternal clock. I work full time, and I am a full time mom, as well as part time college and my fiance works full time, and attends college, we just bought our first home. We are stable and living quite well for ourselves. We both came from poor family backgrounds so we had to start from the ground and build up. So, really there isnt an answer to when its best to get married, its whenever the couple feels ready. If your married it does not mean you have to start having kids right away or even at all
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My plan (since I was like 5 years old lol) was to get married when I was 24 and have kids when I was 26. Instead.. I got married when I was 21 and had a baby boy when I was 23. He's 7 months old now. I wanted to wait. I wanted to travel the world. I wanted to start a career. Now all I want is to snuggle with my baby, kiss my husband, and take a nap. =) All worth it!
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I think it's crucial to give your marriage a few years without kids. Marriage isn't easy, and having kids is even harder. Give yourself a few years to get used to the give and take of a marriage relationship.

I got married at 25 (almost 26) and we waited 5 years to have baby #1. I think our timing was perfect.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    There is no right age for getting married.

Plenty of people get married at 18 and have a happy marriage til the day they die.

Plenty of people wait to get married until they're 30ish and end up divorced 5 years later.

The only important part is being certain that the person you're marrying is the right person for you and not too many people put much thought into that these days
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Sorry girl, there is no one answer for this..which I'm sure you know already. So I take it you're just interested in what other people did themselves? Well I won't go into my whole deal other than to say. I got married at 21 after a long engagement and 3 years later I felt like I was living with a different person (granted we went through some pretty traumatic **** during our short marriage). All I can say is nobody knows the future. Regardless of your age when you get married, life can throw some really crazy stuff at you and it changes you...both of you.. Sorry to sound so cryptic, but it really is just a roll of the dice. Best of luck to you whatever age you decide to roll them!