Cats/Declawed

Options
14567810»

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Cats need their claws to properly stretch and exercise their back muscles. A declawed cat is more likely to bite as well.

Aside from all the possible complications, it hurts to have their toes partially amputated and is completely unnecessary.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    One of of our cats we declawed when he was like 3 months old. Our other cat we got from the umane society and he was already declawed. I really had no idea what it entailed until I saw a vet on tv explain what really happened(of course it was well after the fact). I like the fact that both our cats are declawed, they would have destroyed our home if we deceided not to. Our cats are strictly house cats they can not go outside ever. They can not defend themselves, don't get me wrong they would find a way. We deceided that once they had that done they were ours until they die. They will be with us longer than our sons. So, should you have it done well I feel that it is truly a commitment then not to be taken lightly.

i have two cats. neither one of them has destroyed my home. they have a few toys and scratching posts, and after a few lessons, they quickly learned that they are supposed to scratch there. both we got from the aspca. the first was already an adult and already knows what to scratch. the kitten we got when she was 8 weeks old, and just like any child, you have to train. i had a spray bottle full of water, and a can of air handy at all times. if ppl have the paitence to change diapers and teach an infant to potty train over the course of a few years, then why can't someone have the paitence to teach an animal where to scratch over the course of 8 months?
  • daily_vits
    Options
    My male cat when nuetered had his testicles removed, is that mean or should I have let him go make thousands of kittens. That took more recovery time then when he had his claws removed.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    hmmm, my cat is being declawed today actually. after reading most of these posts, guess im going to hell now
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My male cat when nuetered had his testicles removed, is that mean or should I have let him go make thousands of kittens. That took more recovery time then when he had his claws removed.

spaying and neutering is for the health of the animal, declawing is for the conveinance of the owner. The difference between a vasectomy and someone cutting off the tips of your fingers..... major difference
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Whoever the *kitten* "willingly" chooses to have their cat declawed or agrees that it's ok to do just to suit their own personal needs as a cat owner also needs to have their fingernails & toenails ripped off. Seriously. WTF people. Sorry but some of you are real pieces of *kitten*.
  • NewChristine1483
    NewChristine1483 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am SO grateful that the vast majority of people who posted here are ANTI-declawing. I'm a huge cat advocate (volunteering at shelters, multiple adopter, blah blah blah) - and one of my cats had been declawed at kitten-hood (by previous owners). He can't even walk properly, 10 years later.

Don't. Do. It. It's torture.
  • NewChristine1483
    NewChristine1483 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hmmm, my cat is being declawed today actually. after reading most of these posts, guess im going to hell now

Cancel the surgery!
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I get the child is wayy more important then a cat, so I understand why you want to de-claw it. But it is seriously messed up that people do this to their animals. If I were in your situation and the child's safety is much more important I would either make sure to keep the cats nails trimmed, or I would give it to a good home. I have a 2 year old son and my parents got their cat de-clawed which I was against but it is not my cat, my son loves the cat but he doesn't always remember to be gentle (he doesn't hurt him, but you know little boys) and the cat has since bit him. Not hard enough to do damage but it can happen. That is something else to think about. For that reason alone I would not get a cat until my kid is bigger. People say train the cat and in reality you need to train the kid.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    after reading this thread i must be the biggest a-hole out there! lol.. i've had probably 25-30 cats in my lifetime and over 1/2 have been declawed at 6 months of age. we can go back and forth about the rare cases that went wrong and the extreme pain and blah blah.. but in GENERAL, it is a safe procedure with little complications and a short healing time. and it is really that different than going to have them neutered or spayed (which i agree is a must!), where the surgery is much more extensive?? every vet i've been to has done blood work and made sure the kitty is completely asleep.. i've never paid more than $100 for a declaw.. i usually only get the front feet done and i leave the back feet.. i have 2 cats right now that have both been declawed on their front feet for over a year.. they limped for about 3 days but were always on pain killers, their moods never faultered. i literally had to put them in their little kitty crate to keep them from playing and racing around the house! they never stopped using the litter box correctly, they both go outside and climb fences, trees, etc.. they both kill birds and leave them on my patio (yuck!), and my oldest even fights with the neighborhood cats and usually wins. their mood and behaviors haven't changed a bit and all in all its always been a positive thing with each cat i've had declawed. absolutely no problems or complications.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Whoever the *kitten* "willingly" chooses to have their cat declawed or agrees that it's ok to do just to suit their own personal needs as a cat owner also needs to have their fingernails & toenails ripped off. Seriously. WTF people. Sorry but some of you are real pieces of *kitten*.
    And... locking in... 10.. 9...

Try stating your case without personally attacking people. You will sound a lot smarter, and keep threads open for discussion.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. Obviously too much of a heated topic to continue.
    The forum guidelines include this item:

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.