Cats/Declawed

Options

Replies

• terracotta209
    terracotta209 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cats which i love to pieces and they are both declawed only the front are and they are indoor cats( the oldest is shady and he is 8 His clawes came back 2 yrs after they were done and they put him under again and redid it, 2 yrs ago i noticed that his one foot was bleeding and he chewed at it .@ on his right foot came back and one on the other last yr . The other cat is 6 and last yr she had blood on her toe and she was chewing well i new right away and sure enough she has one also that came back..Its hard to cut due to it being distorted and not a normal nail..
    Honestly if i new what i did now i would never of gotten them done , and thinking back of when i brought them home and the pain they were in specially trying to walk (like an ampitation) they had no pain meds .I wouldn't do it again..The oldest has trouble ju,mping up and it maybe from catering to his one foot and not putting pressure which in the long run affects the hips...Everyone has differnt appinions Its all up to you ..
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have six cats, two of which have been declawed. I don't know if it depends on the vets you go to, but I don't see it as a problem. My cats were kept at the vet, two nights after their surgery, watched and bandaged and given medicine to prevent infection. When I brought them home, they were kinda lazy for a day or two and just slept a lot, but after the first two days, they were fully back to themselves. There was barely any care at all afterwords. Two weeks of antibiotics to prevent infection, and 10 days of using shredded paper in their litterbox. I had absolutely no complications with either one of them. And I plan to get my other four declawed.

I don't neccessarily see how it's inhumane whatsoever. They are 100% indoor cats, and they still have their back claws for scratching and hygenic purposes. They don't seem to mind at all.

I got my cats declawed for one because I want to have children and it seems safer. For two, cats are hard to train, and keep them from doing certain things. My cats scratched on anything they could get their hands on. Corners of the walls, the furniture, etc. I tried a spray bottle, I got them their own scratcher (only two would use this, however they used this AND still the furniture), I tried a no scratching spray, and nothing worked whatsoever. To keep my house in good condition, all of my cats are getting declawed.

Just my personal opinon. I don't see it as a problem.

The fact that it is ILLEGAL in other countries because it's considered abuse doesn't hint to you that it's a terrible thing to do? I don't understand you people.

It is selfish for you to declaw your cats for your own household. Those are THINGS and these are living creatures. You are mutilating their natural state of being for the sake of your couch. Cats CAN be trained with consistent behaviour changes and their are numerous other alternatives to declawing but folks are just too lazy to do it, so you put them through an entirely unnecessary surgery, which is certainly not without potentially terrible consequences. Do you understand what the body of an animal goes through during anesthesia and recovery? Do you understand the unbelievable plethora of risks that you put your pet under for the sake of your furniture? It disgusts me, to be honest.

If you don't want your children to get scratched, don't get a pet with claws. If you aren't willing to put the effort into having a balanced, obedient pet, don't have animals. Easy peasy.

Well let's see, I didn't get on this page to start a debate. I saw very few people FOR declawing on this page and wanted to list my actual EXPERIENCE that there were NO complications and NO issues and NO problems or pain for my cats that I got declawed.

The fact that it's illegal in other countries, doesn't change my opinion. It's not illegal here and my cats were not harmed by being declawed. They are happy, lovable, still play and jump on things, and are just the same as before they got declawed.

Also, do you realize cats are put under anesthesia for getting fixed also. Does that mean we shouldn't have them fixed? I don't see it as much different. I got my pets fixed, not for the fact of preventing reproduction, but to prevent them spraying on things. I too am changing their natural state by taking away their private parts, but people see that as a good thing.

I don't have to justify myself to anyone, I just wanted to point out to everyone that there are people who don't look down on declawing and have had VERY successful experiences with declawing their cats, and that they don't always suffer pain or change their personalities or any of that. At least not in every cat.

Are you going to declaw your (future) kids when they make a mess and get into things? Kids are a lot harder to train than cats after all...
    apparently lots of people "declaw" their children, since i have never seen an infant with inch long nails....if they didn't "declaw" them, then why do they have clippers in those infant baby hygene kits?

ok, de-finger then... let them keep their toes?
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cats which i love to pieces and they are both declawed( the oldest is shady and he is 8 His clawes came back 2 yrs after they were done and they put him under again and redid it, 2 yrs ago i noticed that his one foot was bleeding and he chewed at it .@ on his right foot came back and one on the other last yr . The other cat is 6 and last yr she had blood on her toe and she was chewing well i new right away and sure enough she has one also that came back..Its hard to cut due to it being distorted and not a normal nail..
    Honestly if i new what i did now i would never of gotten them done , and thinking back of when i brought them home and the pain they were in specially trying to walk (like an ampitation) they had no pain meds .I wouldn't do it again..The oldest has trouble ju,mping up and it maybe from catering to his one foot and not putting pressure which in the long run affects the hips...Everyone has differnt appinions Its all up to you ..

Your vet must not have cut far enough back. Most vets take the cut back to the first joint therefore ensuring the nail will not grow back. Most cats respond afterwards walking so funny because they are all bandaged up and some vets will keep the cat in order to make sure they are have sufficient pain medication. I'm sorry you had a bad experience
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's cruel. Like I said earlier in the thread, if a pet with claws doesn't work with your lifestyle, then please don't get a cat.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i do threaten the kids i watch that i will cut off their fingers if they still keep picking their nose....it has worked for most lol. Since cats don't speak my language, its hard to tell them the same thing.....but this is why i like dogs, they are so eager to please that if you are consistant with your discipline, they will eventually get rid of the bad habit(for the most part)....cats can gieve 2 shizzies what you think, they jsut do them, and thats all that matters
  • rebsaganes
    rebsaganes Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My cats all were declawed at an early age. There are all indoor cats and did not suffer during the procedure or during the recovery process. Like many elective human surgeries people can have very strong opinions but in the end it's your opinion that matters the most.

Agree!!
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

Being a huge animal activist, I get A LOT of crap for having my cat spayed. I'm sorry I don't want my cat contributing to the already over populated culture of ally cats. My cat is indoor, but god forbid she ever gets out? No, no she will not contribute.

As for declawing, our cat is a little over a year. We have ample scratching posts, and if need be, will put "claw caps" on her. For instance, a girlfriend of mine has a 4 year old who LOVES the cat. Gatsby (the cat) typically isn't the clawing type, but we went out and got her claw caps anyway. Just like putting fake nails on. Doesn't hurt her, and they fall off naturally after just like fake nails do on humans.

I'd just pay the extra deposit. Period. But that's just one opinion.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Just to add a little. I did see some of the "Don't get a cat if you can't handle the claws" comments, and I do agree. I don't doubt that you adore and love your cat. Which means you love her for who she is. She has claws. It's like getting a dog then complaining that it barks. Well...dogs bark. Cats have claws. Hence my endorsement of claw caps :) Keeps everyone happy!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    All my cats are declawed....they didn't seem to suffer any pain after the surgery...they were up and romping soon after getting home. They are indoor cats and it saves the furniture and curtains. Some of mine were rescued strays...so they could be declawed and live a lavish, cushy life with me or remain out in their stray world...I think they got the best deal around!!!

But, I am fully committed to my cats and will never get rid of them. They only problem would be if something happened to me and they had to go live somewhere else who might want to make them outside cats. So, unless you are totally committed to a cat and KNOW for certin you plan on keeping it forever, then I wouldn't declaw....too many people aren't committed to the pets they have and get rid of them ...then...their only choice would be indoors....and you can't always find someone to take your kitty when you need to.....
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I got my pets fixed, not for the fact of preventing reproduction, but to prevent them spraying on things.

Well shannon, I hate to burst your bubble but any cat can spray, male or female, neutered/spayed/intact doesn't matter. I wish I could lay some money down in a bet that one or more of your cats will be brought to a shelter before their lives are over.

This is a wonderful thread. I see a few folks I'd like to friend :flowerforyou:

A few I'd like to block if I could.......

and I see I've already made some excellent friend choices (you know who you are!) :drinker:
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    We declawed our first cat because I didn't know any better and would never in a million years do it again. He's long gone, but I still feel the guilt. He might have seemed fine afterward, but you couldn't touch his paws ever again without him pulling back in pain. With the two cats we have now, we just make sure we trim nails weekly. One hates it and it's a pain, but the other one doesn't mind. Probably because he gets to attack and play with the clipper after. We have three scratching posts around the house and douse them in cat nip. The next cat will be clicker trained to tolerate nail clipping since that's worked for our dogs.

Hope you make a good decision.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I think declawing is barbaric. I actually think it's frowned upon even more now. How about you get your finger nails removed and toe nails? You know they don't just remove the nail, they removed the part of the appendage the claw grows out from. What if your animal gets outside and he can't defend himself. Sorry, but you're a sick person for even considering this.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    How about you move into your own place if you're that worried about instead of moving in with a baby. Babies can do anything. If you cousin is a good mom she should be watching her baby 24/7 thus your cat will not be a problem
    I wish people would think.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    soft paws stay on until it's time for the cat to shed the claw...you sure must not have any faith in your cat if you think it's gonna fall off and he's going maul your cousin's baby.
  • xMissAprilx
    xMissAprilx Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do it. I think it is barbaric as well. Cutting the tips of their toes off to save furniture?! That's just ridiculous! I'm not accusing you of anything at all, so I apologize if it seems that way.

I also would never crop ears & tails or whatever else. I didn't even want to get my dogs fixed but had to because it's the law in Clark County. :/ Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to keep them.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've probably had 20 cats in my lifetime and have never declawed any of them. I also never had a problem with a cat scratching furniture. If your cat is almost a year old, though, and you never taught it not to claw furniture, you might have a problem.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I mean, not to be insensitive, but a cat scratch wouldn't kill the kid. That's life. And a clawless catt? That's not his life.

This.

A cat scratch hurts, but it's not very dangerous. Not a huge risk for infection. A cat BITE can be dangerous, and can turn into a "you need to be on IV antibiotics for a few weeks" kind of situation. And a cat who can't scratch to defend himself is much more likely to bite.

Seven cats currently. All have claws. My furniture is in good shape, but my cat trees and scratchers are in shreds. :laugh:
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I would not feel comfortable declawing my cat. If he got out, he'd be practically defenseless and couldn't climb trees to get away from potential dangers. I clip my cats nails every few weeks, so he still has them, but we've trained him not to scratch furniture. As long as the kiddo doesn't harass the cat, they should be fine together.
  • shannon121278
    Options
    I have six cats, two of which have been declawed. I don't know if it depends on the vets you go to, but I don't see it as a problem. My cats were kept at the vet, two nights after their surgery, watched and bandaged and given medicine to prevent infection. When I brought them home, they were kinda lazy for a day or two and just slept a lot, but after the first two days, they were fully back to themselves. There was barely any care at all afterwords. Two weeks of antibiotics to prevent infection, and 10 days of using shredded paper in their litterbox. I had absolutely no complications with either one of them. And I plan to get my other four declawed.

I don't neccessarily see how it's inhumane whatsoever. They are 100% indoor cats, and they still have their back claws for scratching and hygenic purposes. They don't seem to mind at all.

I got my cats declawed for one because I want to have children and it seems safer. For two, cats are hard to train, and keep them from doing certain things. My cats scratched on anything they could get their hands on. Corners of the walls, the furniture, etc. I tried a spray bottle, I got them their own scratcher (only two would use this, however they used this AND still the furniture), I tried a no scratching spray, and nothing worked whatsoever. To keep my house in good condition, all of my cats are getting declawed.

so....10 cats? Are you the neighborhood's crazy cat lady?? lol jk....if i could keep up with it i would have 10 dogs, but my one is just perfect enoug for me

No, I only have 6. Haha. We have a huge house and we have some of them seperated for not getting along, so it doesn't even seem like we have six.
  • shannon121278
    Options

The fact that it is ILLEGAL in other countries because it's considered abuse doesn't hint to you that it's a terrible thing to do? I don't understand you people.

It is selfish for you to declaw your cats for your own household. Those are THINGS and these are living creatures. You are mutilating their natural state of being for the sake of your couch. Cats CAN be trained with consistent behaviour changes and their are numerous other alternatives to declawing but folks are just too lazy to do it, so you put them through an entirely unnecessary surgery, which is certainly not without potentially terrible consequences. Do you understand what the body of an animal goes through during anesthesia and recovery? Do you understand the unbelievable plethora of risks that you put your pet under for the sake of your furniture? It disgusts me, to be honest.

If you don't want your children to get scratched, don't get a pet with claws. If you aren't willing to put the effort into having a balanced, obedient pet, don't have animals. Easy peasy.

Well let's see, I didn't get on this page to start a debate. I saw very few people FOR declawing on this page and wanted to list my actual EXPERIENCE that there were NO complications and NO issues and NO problems or pain for my cats that I got declawed.

The fact that it's illegal in other countries, doesn't change my opinion. It's not illegal here and my cats were not harmed by being declawed. They are happy, lovable, still play and jump on things, and are just the same as before they got declawed.

Also, do you realize cats are put under anesthesia for getting fixed also. Does that mean we shouldn't have them fixed? I don't see it as much different. I got my pets fixed, not for the fact of preventing reproduction, but to prevent them spraying on things. I too am changing their natural state by taking away their private parts, but people see that as a good thing.

I don't have to justify myself to anyone, I just wanted to point out to everyone that there are people who don't look down on declawing and have had VERY successful experiences with declawing their cats, and that they don't always suffer pain or change their personalities or any of that. At least not in every cat.

Are you going to declaw your (future) kids when they make a mess and get into things? Kids are a lot harder to train than cats after all...

Are they going to be making a mess with their fingernails? I think not. That's a stupid question.
This discussion has been closed.