Hating on implants?

Options
123457»

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I must say this has been an very interesting thread to read. Thought maybe I might shed a bit of light on a few questions, especially about older women and implants

1) My mom - double mastecomey in 1979 had silcone implants (all that was available then I think). Back then the incisions were numerous to remove the cancer and do the implants. She restored herself to her original size. She has had one set of replacements. She has some scaring but not a lot, surgeons did a good job. She is 80 years old, and looks great for her age. Yes her breasts are still perky and she doesn't have to wear a bra unless she wants to. She has never regretted it.

2) Me - after losing all my weight I was disapointed in what was left. I'll be blunt, loose, sagging skin. I had to wear padded push up bras for the first time in my life-quite uncomfortable for a former bra burner! Enter a fantastic plastic surgeon, saline, under muscle. I am 'restored' to my former self - hubby and I are very happy. I can handle the loose tummy skin, I think most of it will go as I continue to tone up as I am seeing progress, but if it doesn't - I will consider the tummy tuck.

3) MY POINT - I like looking and feeling good (as does my mom). A little help can go a long way. I dye my hair, wear make up and contacts. But no one has ever accused me of being FAKE. A woman is never to old to want to look good.

Ladies, do what makes you happy!!!!! And if your man enjoys it, more power to you both!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    and, what happens to implants when you get old

bikini-fail-old-woman.jpg

epic-sexy-fail-bikini.jpg

who's hating now?

OMG that guy in the speedo is so hot.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I don't hate or judge...but I do laugh when it looks like somebody stuffed their shirt with basketballs. haha

I may not really agree with plastic surgery all the time (sometimes, like a woman lost her breasts because of breast cancer and got implants...okay....but just because your boobs are okay sized but you want them huge...yea...don't see the point. But yet I can see if somebody who is REALLY self conscious about the size that it disrupts their day then it's okay to find a way to change it. When it comes to weight people always say if you hate your weight so much do SOMETHING about it. Work your butt off to lose the weight...I think of implants kind of the same thing.)

And as mentioned most of the time you can't tell...unless they stuffed their shirt with basketballs. :P
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Its ok for a girl with NO boobs to wear a super low cut shirt...because honestly there is nothing to see....but when a woman with large boobs does it she is immediately flaunting them or a *kitten*....very sad for someone with boobs and I see this happen all the time with my wife...dirty looks and such. Should she tape them down and hide them??? Its stupid....and it really is only the women doing it to themselves.

That crap starts early too. My daughter was a 32D by the time she started 7th grade. She did her best to hide them (shopped in the boys section for shirts and wore them too big) but at 4'11 and 100 lbs, there wasn't much she could do to hide breasts that size on a frame that small. And of course, having to change for PE didn't help. Girls called her a slut and made fun of her because of her breasts. She would come home crying and started asking if we'd get her a breast reduction. At 12. It broke my heart. Halfway through the year, we pulled her out and started homeschooling.
  • leopardlushh
    Options
    Why do some women hate on women who have breast implants?

I don't hate on women w/fake ta-tas but I will admit to snickering at a few that just look plain bizarre. (i admit it ladies and gentlemen so don't send me a hate reply)

I'm fortunate to have 34D's that are consider "dense or voluptuous" so they are quite nice for being natural...that said...i have had lower back problems and because of the density I have problems getting them checked for cancer. (the more dense the harder to detect) That being said I'd be scared out of my mine of foreign objects in my body...not to say I do or don't agree w/them.

Agree

1. Very good family friend had breast cancer. Although only had it detected in one breast had a double mastectomy...one for her health and two she has three children she was worried wouldn't have a mother. She is currently two years cancer free and has had to reconstructive surgeries on her breasts. The first time she had surgery (removal of the breasts and reconstruction) it looked as if a blow torch had been taken to her chest. I cried for her. Yes she deserves the most beautiful breasts man can give her.

2. Best friend had very lopsided breasts...one an A cup the other a full C. For years she stuffed the smaller one feeling insecure in her clothing. One day (she is a very strong individual) she decided to hell with it and forgo stuffing. Went to the mall feeling confident for the first time and got stares, scoffed at, and even had a women point it out to her!!! She sobbed the whole way home and decided to get surgery. Three years later after countless research she got breast implants. They look natural, not over-done, and doesn't flaunt them around like a classless lady.

Disagree

1. Women that get them OVERDONE. A girl in my aerobics class is a size 0 at best, flattest *kitten*, and has a size DD-E breasts. I'm sorry but please ladies more power to increase your self-esteem but expect a few stares if your going to get that done or have the "I just might fall over look"

2. Girls that get it done for their boyfriends, job, attention, etc. If your boyfriend or spouse wants you to get them done that bad than maybe hes not that into you.

3. Girls that get fake implants and sport them with just their nipples barely not present. Kudos to you and all but really?! It's bad enough their sat up to your chin (yes they look unnatural and are hard to not turn away from, poor guys how do you ever focus?) but then my NINE year old niece is subjected to them! It's a wonder why little girls have trouble with their self-esteems at such young ages. OHHH wait I'm sorry A&F your selling bikinis with padding in them for a 12 year-old??? I'm sorry their not fully developed yet and ya lets just get over the childhood years and get you started on "maturing" faster. Oh you don't like boys yet and still want to be a 12 year old? *tsk tsk. Let's just slap that "fake boob" two piece on you and before you know it you'll be getting HATED on by the other 12 year-old girls! (no sometimes it's not being "hated" on but merely having a distaste for your lack of class...and FYI my niece will be wearing a one-piece for a very long time)

4. Girls that have FAKE IMPLANTS and FAKE PERSONALITIES. I CAN ONLY DEAL WITH ONE AT A TIME!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Its ok for a girl with NO boobs to wear a super low cut shirt...because honestly there is nothing to see....but when a woman with large boobs does it she is immediately flaunting them or a *kitten*....very sad for someone with boobs and I see this happen all the time with my wife...dirty looks and such. Should she tape them down and hide them??? Its stupid....and it really is only the women doing it to themselves.

That crap starts early too. My daughter was a 32D by the time she started 7th grade. She did her best to hide them (shopped in the boys section for shirts and wore them too big) but at 4'11 and 100 lbs, there wasn't much she could do to hide breasts that size on a frame that small. And of course, having to change for PE didn't help. Girls called her a slut and made fun of her because of her breasts. She would come home crying and started asking if we'd get her a breast reduction. At 12. It broke my heart. Halfway through the year, we pulled her out and started homeschooling.

Man, I'm so sorry for your daughter, that's awful.
  • rileamoyer
    Options

Man, I'm so sorry for your daughter, that's awful.

Kids can be so cruel to each other, especially in the middle school years. Bless her heart.
  • livnlite
    Options
    I don't think I hate implants or anyone who has them. I 'dislike' the attitude of women who use implants or 'what God gave 'em as manipulation tools...for everything from getting a job to sexual a encounter. They seem to boost self confidence ... and self confidence, in today's world is sexy.

There are many different reasons why women get them. Some women get implants because they feel better about themselves because THEY like the way they look.

Some get them because without them, they feel invisible. Some get them, because .. well .. all the other girls at school/work/nightclub (what ever the case may be) are getting them, so they need to do that too, to feel like they 'fit in'.
    What ever the case may be .. It's not boobs, nor any kind of image altering device (like make up, hair doo or body) that make you likable or admirable .. Get's peoples attention maybe ... but that's about as far as it goes.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    OK...
    Throwing in my 2 cents......

I am sad when young girls get breast implants, due to the fact that many women have difficulty exclusively breastfeeding after breast augmentation surgery, due to damage to the nerves or milk ducts. After the re-do surgery 5-10 years out from the original surgery, there is almost no possibility of breastfeeding due to the nerve damage caused during the second operation. If a woman has her first breast surgery done at age 18, and the re-do at 28, she may not have even considered childbirth or breastfeeding, but has already cut herself off from one of the best nurturing experiences of motherhood.

That said, I don't care if a woman who is past childbirth gets her breasts augmented. Personally, I wouldn't do it, I don't necessarily agree with it, but it doesn't bother me when another woman gets hers done.

P.S. The source for my information is from Mohrbacher, (2010) Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple, pp. 711-13.
  • rileamoyer
    Options
    OK...
    Throwing in my 2 cents......

I am sad when young girls get breast implants, due to the fact that many women have difficulty exclusively breastfeeding after breast augmentation surgery, due to damage to the nerves or milk ducts. After the re-do surgery 5-10 years out from the original surgery, there is almost no possibility of breastfeeding due to the nerve damage caused during the second operation. If a woman has her first breast surgery done at age 18, and the re-do at 28, she may not have even considered childbirth or breastfeeding, but has already cut herself off from one of the best nurturing experiences of motherhood.

That said, I don't care if a woman who is past childbirth gets her breasts augmented. Personally, I wouldn't do it, I don't necessarily agree with it, but it doesn't bother me when another woman gets hers done.

P.S. The source for my information is from Mohrbacher, (2010) Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple, pp. 711-13.

I will give you that one - breast feeding was one of the most amazing experiences in my life! I would not have done the surgery prior unless it was for medical reason, but again at that age, didn't think I needed it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I just wanna look good naked. I've never had "pretty" breast and 3 kids and 3 episodes of weight loss later.....
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

This makes me so sad........ I feel horrible for your daughter. I am so sorry that kids were mean to her.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't hate, I just don't agree with plastic surgery in general. I have many things that could be changed with plastic surgery, my nose, my lips, eyes, boobs, butt, tummy, ect. To be honest it has all bothered me form time to time, some more than others. It it is life threatening that is way different. But just to look better, I do not agree. I was the girl who hated everything about me, just like the daughter mentioned in the story before I was teased by many other girls about my breast size, jealousy, most likey, but it still hurt.

My husband loves me the way I am. I do not think it is a big secret that other men at some point in my life have most likely thought I was attractive as well. I many people I am one of the most beautiful people they have met, I honestly get this a lot, more than I realized until friends and family pointed it out.

My point is that if you think you look better or good simply because of surgery, then it's not real. It takes a lot of time to fall in love with yourself for some people, once you do, others do to. It iis simply confidence, knowign that the way I am look is just fine, in fact great! I am an image and beauty consultant and spend a lot of time talking to women about how they don't like this and don't like that. It is a matter of opinion but the majority of them are absolutely beautiful! It is sad the society has made too many people think that there is a right and wrong way to look. Weight is a seperate issue because it has to do with health, reduction may also, but adding to your body? I just don't get it, be happy with who you are!

I know that my husbadn would much rather love the way I look, not the surgens work!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    "What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

"I suppose you are real?" said the Rabbit. And then he wished he had not said it, for he thought the Skin Horse might be sensitive. But the Skin Horse only smiled.

"The Boy's Uncle made me Real," he said. "That was a great many years ago; but once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always."

excerpted from The Velveteen Rabbit, by Margery Williams.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you've had bad experiences! I can't imagine hating anyone on any physical thing, really.

To answer your question, I suppose it's because putting others down makes some people feel better about themselves. Ironically, people usually get plastic surgery for the same reason-- to feel better about themselves. Neither putting people down or PS is something I'm interested in doing personally, but PS is certainly preferable to being mean.