Replies

• mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Your = belongs to you.
    You're = you are.

THIS!

There, their, they're.
    I just don't understand how people still get this wrong. Didn't we all learn this in 3rd grade?

And when people say "sherbert" when it's actually "sherbet" and "mis-chee-vee-us" instead of "mischievous".

Yes I'm pretty sure it's mis-chee-vee-us. :bigsmile:
  • mommared53
    Options
    I live in MO....old timers here call is "Mazzoura". They also call Lancaster," Longcuster"...

Grinds my gears

Oh I hate that! :explode: I'm from Missouri and there's no "A" in Missouri.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    'congradulations'- HATE that!
    'renember'
    'ax' (not ask)

and the usual terrible mispronunciations that have already been outlined! makes my ears hurt and my teeth itch!
  • mommared53
    Options
    I hate when people say "oh" for "zero" for some reason. But I think that's a pretty normal thing, and just a personal pet peeve of mine!

I agree. O (oh) is a letter and 0 (zero) is a number. They're not interchangeable.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Scrimp!

Scrimps! I lived in New Orleans for 10 years and my Mississippi born husband and I always laugh about this one when we eat them. Mmmmmmm, scrimps.
  • mommared53
    Options
    Oregon: Ore-GONE instead of Ore-gun.

As for "axe" a question, only used to hear that from Indian co-workers.

You mean I'm pronouncing Ore-gun wrong too? :huh:
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I went to college in the redneck riviera...aka Myrtle Beach, SC. You were lucky if you could understand anything that came out of anyone's mouth!

LOL I grew up in SC and never heard that one. But I'm not a redneck, of course. But y'all believe whatcha wanna, I reckon. ;)
  • mommared53
    Options
    Lmao reading these, so funny ! I hate when people say "Anyways" ...

Shudder!! My co-worker says that and it drives me crazy. She always talks about how she went to a private school, but they didn't teach her to say "anyway" instead of "anyways"?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Betty, could you possibly consolidate those 5,000 replies a little bit? :noway:
  • mommared53
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry.
  • jemko
    jemko Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ingredientses

Really? REALLY?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry.

:flowerforyou:
  • Kristy144
    Options
    We just recently move to TN and almost everything they say down here annoys me.

"Ya, reckons?" "Keeps ya hand to yaself" "Warsh" (instead of wash)

I can go on and on-- the things people say makes them sound so stupid, not being mean but its true.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    OK, I do need to jump in here and defend "warsh." In certain rural areas, that is the correct pronunciation. It's all very scientific:

The Law of Conservation of Consonants:
    Consonants like the letter R cannot be either created or destroyed, only moved around. Therefore, every time someone from Boston says "pahk the cah" or "dahling," those Rs migrate to the rural midwest, where they insert themselves into "warsh the clothes" and "squarsh that spider."

See, now the Universe makes sense. You're welcome.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    The Ar-Kansas river...It's pronounced Are-kan-saw...not are-kan-zis...
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    my doc tole me I have fireballs in my girl parts (fibroids)

I think I just peed my pants!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    i think its suposta be supposed to

oh and applecockers.... yeah figure out that one lol

What is applecockers?? I've been sitting here, saying it outloud and I can't figure it out. Sounds very bad, me sitting here saying "applecocker... APPLE... COCKER... APPLECOCKER...."
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My husband (of southern descent) says this when he wants me to change the channel on the TV: "turn it over"

Makes me want to turn the TV upside-down.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    what grinds my ears is when people say "me & so-n-so", instead of so-n-so & I!!! ARGH! i want to pull my hair out on that one!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    The Ar-Kansas river...It's pronounced Are-kan-saw...not are-kan-zis...

Isn't there an obscure law on the books in Arkansas that makes it illegal to pronounce it as Ar-Kansas?